You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Antes for Mtts

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
I know it has been discussed before on here about antes and hear that they are on there way.  Was wondering if you know when antes will be coming onto sky as they are essential.  Antes on here will definately attract more players from other sites onto sky i personally know at least 2 people that would play on here if there were antes.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Antes for Mtts:
    I know it has been discussed before on here about antes and hear that they are on there way.  Was wondering if you know when antes will be coming onto sky as they are essential.  Antes on here will definately attract more players from other sites onto sky i personally know at least 2 people that would play on here if there were antes.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Yawn, why do you need to mention it in every other post you make
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts:
    In Response to Antes for Mtts : Yawn, why do you need to mention it in every other post you make
    Posted by seppe
    lol at this i have only ever mentioned the word antes once and this was in someone elses thread were i agreed that antes was the most important thing for the site.  Go into my profile and my history and you will see i have only ever mentioned antes once in my entire post history.  I believe i mentioned it in smitalos's thread.  To come on this thread and say i mention antes in every post is such an exageration!  This has got to be a level and your obviously against the idea of antes on this site by posting this message.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi bearly, couple of questions, why would not having antes deter people from playing on this site? and what is it about antes that will attract alot more players to play on sky?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : lol at this i have only ever mentioned the word antes once and this was in someone elses thread were i agreed that antes was the most important thing for the site.  Go into my profile and my history and you will see i have only ever mentioned antes once in my entire post history.  I believe i mentioned it in smitalos's thread.  To come on this thread and say i mention antes in every post is such an exageration!  This has got to be a level and your obviously against the idea of antes on this site by posting this message.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Not at all lol. Just the same poop over & over again & its always the same answer, they are on the to do list & arrive when they arrive
  • edited January 2013
    Hi bearly, couple of questions, why would not having antes deter people from playing on this site? and what is it about antes that will attract alot more players to play on sky?
    Posted by benc
    Hi benc antes is good for the game and is pretty much the norm for any tournament live or online apart from on here.  Antes is good for the game because it creates action people have to fight harder to win every pot because there is no antes on here people can blind down to 7 bigs and wait for kings and get it in which isnt good for the game. When antes kick in this is when a tournament really begins.  
  • edited January 2013
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : Hi benc antes is good for the game and is pretty much the norm for any tournament live or online apart from on here.  Antes is good for the game because it creates action people have to fight harder to win every pot because there is no antes on here people can blind down to 7 bigs and wait for kings and get it in which isnt good for the game. When antes kick in this is when a tournament really begins.  
    Posted by bearlyther
    +1

its not really tournament poker if theres no ante's
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Antes for Mtts:
    i personally know at least 2 people that would play on here if there were antes.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Personally, I like antes, and would be happy to see them.
    You are aware though, that if it does attract new players to Sky, they will typically be competent players.
    Not sure I would be begging for them, if I mainly played MTT's on here.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : Hi benc antes is good for the game and is pretty much the norm for any tournament live or online apart from on here.  Antes is good for the game because it creates action people have to fight harder to win every pot because there is no antes on here people can blind down to 7 bigs and wait for kings and get it in which isnt good for the game. When antes kick in this is when a tournament really begins.  
    Posted by bearlyther
    Why do you want to stop people playing this way?
    Why do you want more players who understand poker to play tourneys here?
  • edited January 2013
    Why do you want antes when there is a load of bad players, if you have 40+bb you a literally can wait for spots, i like it, but ante torney are great too TBF.

When you make an open in the current format you risk more to win less, but with antes you risk less to win more (referring to stealing blinds), this makes a HUGE difference! Antes do sepereate the good from the bad.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : Why do you want to stop people playing this way? Why do you want more players who understand poker to play tourneys here?
    Posted by grantorino
    With antes a lot of players will still play this way antes may change peoples style a bit but not a lot from my experience on other sites ive seen people limp folding in a 50 euro tournament with antes.  This will not only bring good players to the site but recreational players aswell.  There is 2 sites i play on with antes which are soft so by bringing in antes i dont think ieveryone is suddenly going to play like Phil Ivey and Tom Dwan lol we will see a mixture of both good players and recreational players.
  • edited January 2013
    So you think theres rec players out there just waiting for the antes to come in before signing up? Tbh i couldnt care less but im sceptical over what 'good for the game' actually means when referring to tournaments.
  • edited January 2013
    just introduce ante's, make your tournaments slower, improve your software so it doesn't lag, and then Mr Bearlyther will be one happy guy. 

Are sky just lucky they don't have any close competition in the market, i.e. another british company dealing in solely pounds? because surely if they did, and that site actually introduced ante's and other STANDARD things to the site, then more players would move to that site. Sky need to do something. Sky what are you doing. Perhaps Sky just need a kick up the hole? 

oh fair enough. you changed general poker chat to poker chat. 
  • edited January 2013
    Sky will never have antes, because the good players would win more
  • edited January 2013
    I hope antes never come. This site is 6 handed therefor way more action on it already than any of the other 10 handed sites. 6 handed + antes = complete donkfest shovathon crapshoot. 90% will hate it if they come.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : With antes a lot of players will still play this way antes may change peoples style a bit but not a lot from my experience on other sites ive seen people limp folding in a 50 euro tournament with antes.  This will not only bring good players to the site but recreational players aswell.  There is 2 sites i play on with antes which are soft so by bringing in antes i dont think ieveryone is suddenly going to play like Phil Ivey and Tom Dwan lol we will see a mixture of both good players and recreational players.
    Posted by bearlyther
    False.

RECREATIONAL players come here so they can have their emails and hands shown on TV, not to play in a tournament with antes.
  • edited January 2013
    I hope antes never come. This site is 6 handed therefor way more action on it already than any of the other 10 handed sites. 6 handed + antes = complete donkfest shovathon crapshoot. 90% will hate it if they come.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Big +1 for this.  Antes are not needed in 6max.  
  • edited January 2013
    I'm not a huge fan of antes, and I'm not a huge fan of bringing Percival's other "Standard" things here either. Sky stands out because it does certain things differently, if it was just the same as all the others it would become less attractive.
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by FlashFlush

Well then that 90% will be poor MTT players. Simples. 
    Good players adjust accordingly/ Bad players (many of which will have had success on SKY in the past without antes) get a big wake up call as to how MTT's really play out

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : Well then that 90% will be poor MTT players. Simples.  Good players adjust accordingly/ Bad players (many of which will have had success on SKY in the past without antes) get a big wake up call as to how MTT's really play out
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Do you play 6max tournies with antes regularly then? There is a huge difference between 10 handed + antes and 6max + antes. I agree 10 handed tournies need them, but as there are no 10 handed on Sky then it would be a big negative to the site.
  • edited January 2013

All the 6max mtts on other sites have antes the same as full ring, and 8max, and 4max & even HU....

Isn't it just a matter of adapting like always?

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : Well then that 90% will be poor MTT players. Simples.  Good players adjust accordingly/ Bad players (many of which will have had success on SKY in the past without antes) get a big wake up call as to how MTT's really play out
    Posted by Curt360x27
    SO WHAT??
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by FlashFlush

did you know that 65% of badgers like kitkats*?

well done doing some guesswork based on what you want/think/cant prove.

antes are required and don't have to get in the way of the TV/recreational aspects. It'll be pretty sick though because you'll have to raise non paired hands preflop sometimes now....

*out of a poll of 3 badgers, none of which could talk or unwrap a kitkat.
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I play on 2 other sites both with antes 6 handed and i accoumulate a tone more chips with antes so no it does not turn a tournament into a shovathon as if played correctely you will have more chips in the majority of your tournments.  Also how do you explain that there is way more action already than the other 10 handed sites i could probly count in 1 hand the amount of times i have seen a 4 bet bluff on sky so there is definately not more action!
  • edited January 2013
    yeah flashflush wp for pulling out the most random % ever

• edited January 2013
    I think that antes would work or even benefit the Rollers, Opens and Deepstacks on Sky.  However there is absolutely no need to introduce them into the Bounty Hunters.  People already play super agro looking for bounties and introducing antes at the later stages would achieve nothing other than people playing even wider - shovathon luckbox springs to mind.  Bounty Hunters already see enough action.  Problem is though. can Sky be selective in which tournaments they introduce antes or do they have to do them across the board?
  • edited January 2013
    I think that antes would work or even benefit the Rollers, Opens and Deepstacks on Sky.  However there is absolutely no need to introduce them into the Bounty Hunters.  People already play super agro looking for bounties and introducing antes at the later stages would achieve nothing other than people playing even wider - shovathon luckbox springs to mind.  Bounty Hunters already see enough action.  Problem is though. can Sky be selective in which tournaments they introduce antes or do they have to do them across the board?
    Posted by gazza127
    This is exactly what I am saying.

As there are very few regular freezeouts then I class a 'regular' tournament on Sky as a bounty hunter and these certainly don't need the action to be increased.
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by gazza127

you don't start with antes, they just come in at a certain point to speed up the play and consolidate stacks.

so once the functionality is there for antes in anyway they can then choose what comps they are in play for and at what stage.

the whole point of antes flashflush is they stop all you nitties folding down to 4 bb before shoving (because that is the correct style of play without antes as there is never an incentive to play). The antes increase the incentive and therefore make people play quicker and stacks consolidate more rather than everyone just folding hoping to not have to do anything before getting Aces.
  • edited January 2013
    shocker the man giving all the arguments against ante's is a DYM player.

Grimmest form of poker
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Antes for Mtts : you don't start with antes, they just come in at a certain point to speed up the play and consolidate stacks. so once the functionality is there for antes in anyway they can then choose what comps they are in play for and at what stage. the whole point of antes flashflush is they stop all you nitties folding down to 4 bb before shoving (because that is the correct style of play without antes as there is never an incentive to play). The antes increase the incentive and therefore make people play quicker and stacks consolidate more rather than everyone just folding hoping to not have to do anything before getting Aces.
    Posted by beaneh

Please dont patronise me beaneh.  Ofc I know you don't start with antes, and I know what antes do.  Im saying they simply arent needed in bounty hunters.  Bounty hunters arent long tournaments relative to the size of the starting field so there is no need to "consolidate stacks".  There is already incentive for people to play wide in these tournaments and win pots.  Chip lead = pressurise smaller stacks trying to win bounties.  In the Open for example, people are less likely to take a risk with a marginal hand if they have a chip lead - antes would increase the play for sure.  It will be benifit these types of tournaments for sure but definitely no need in Bounty Hunters.