You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Coming Soon on Sky Sports TV...

13»

Comments

• edited February 2013
    cmon it's the way poker is meant to be played, badly and with a smile  :D

Same poker players I see at the bookies asking to borrow money )

• edited February 2013
    I wasn't that impressed with the show. The play was very poor imo. Obviously the guys on it can play and have all had good wins but it just seemed standard for a raise to be called with 72o and I remember at least two times Sam just announced his hand during play which is not something that should be happening at the tables! It just seemed like nobody really cared and some didn't really want to be there I don't think. It also just seemed to stop with no real outcome, the trailer for next week showed some of the same players (in the same seats) in different clothes and also some players who didn't feature this week which I didn't quite understand. Don't want to be too critical, I'll watch it next week but tbh I have certainly seen better poker TV shows.
  • edited February 2013
    Well I enjoyed it tbh.  Then again I went into watching it expecting it to flow exactly how it did.  I thought the Hartigan/Stapes combo in the booth was excellent (although I would love to hear the commentary tape before the Sky Sports edit).

It was, and was always going to be a bunch of blokes having banter, rubs and fun at the table.  If you like the people playing then you are automatically more drawn to the show.  Also it was meant as 'pokertainment' and not a lesson in how to play the game.

I can understand people not liking it and I am in no way going to criticise anyone who switched it off, but personally I think it was good fun and will warm up throughout the series.  It's a bit like Soccer Saturday, at first you think it's just some blokes having a jolly and talking rubbish, then you either get into it or you switch over.  Either is fine.

The Mardle line 'you started it by wearing that jacket' is the current nuts though.
  • edited February 2013
    The trouble I found was that far too often there were players talking over each other and you couldn't make out what either one was saying.

I'll give it another go next week though.
  • edited February 2013
    I can assure you that everyone taking part took it very seriously indeed. 

There was one player who maybe looked like he just splashed around but when you have his net worth can you blame him.  However everyone was very professional in terms of their approach to the game/in the green room etc.  

Even tho I am used to being in a TV environment now, I was surprised by how much different doing pre-recorded TV was to the live shows.  In a lot of ways a live show is so much easier.

Havent seen the final cut but looking forward to.
  • edited February 2013
    would be good if you could run a tournament for all players on the site to get a chance to play againt the pros paid for by sky of course.they win the tournament then have to be at set place for filming and get 5 or ten k to play with from sky if they can afford it the could bring more . i would even pay to enter a tournament for a chance to win say  10 k and get a chance to gamble that 10 k against jimmy white just an idea
  • edited February 2013
    I am a bit shy,  but I'd play em!!

bank roll ready!!

lol!!!!!
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah great idea Reeler, I suggested something like this last time they did the cash game, kinda like the loose cannon on that show on channel 5. I guess the problem is they gotta vet who can be on the show and they can't exactly do essentially a satellite, player X wins and they say 'sorry we don't want you on the show'.

Be a great laugh and great experience though.
  • edited February 2013
    I enjoyed it for what it was.  I think the critics failed to read the object of the programme.
  • edited February 2013
    Give it a few weeks and that'll be a B/H as well lol
  • edited February 2013
    Just watched it and I quite liked it.

If you thought it was going to be a new "High Stakes Poker" with British names, you were always going to be disappointed. I appreciate the lack of pitiful sniping you used to see on those shows. It was poker-themed light entertainment, as Tommy said (in not so many words).

I do think that it would have been better if Norman Whiteside had taken a bit of coaching before the game, though. He was out of his depth and I honestly felt a tad embarrassed for him. I appreciate the idea that it would have been a better poker game if there was a Sky qualifier at the table instead. Sadly, I don't think it would have been so interesting for the layman to have some guy named Paul Lambert (not that one) or Greg Howell at the table, instead of a former Manchester United and Northern Ireland sriker and this wasn't made for a hardcore poker audience.

It was worth watching.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Coming Soon on Sky Sports TV...:
    I enjoyed it for what it was.  I think the critics failed to read the object of the programme.
    Posted by SoLack

No I didn't fail to see the object of the programme. I just think it was misconceived.

There are hundreds of poker programmes of this type with the same faces most of the time. Seen it all before.

I think they they just missed an opportunity to do something fresh and different. 

Wouldn't the average person watching be more likely play on Sky Poker if they knew there was a chance they could end up on Sky sports playing for a large amount of money? 

One positive though was the commentary was way better than last time.
  • edited February 2013
    In general poker is just boring to watch, the commentators can make or break it.

If SKY poker want to bring in new clients, because this must be the main aim then I suppose bringing in faces that the general public will know is a good thing. Kinda a throw back to after dark poker and such where people first started to get intrested in poker through the TV. This is obviously not poker for the purists, and it's obvious they have been told to have fun and make poker look fun & provides social entertainment. You gotta remember it's just a marketing tool.

Think SKY 861 channel could do something that focuses more on the players on sky and set up something like the loose cannon series that imo was one of the best poker shows ever. Sure they could run it on 861, and it would appeal to the purists plus even the general public with the rag to riches back story and maybe sky sports would run it.

Think Sky have a massive edge/platform over other poker sites to really attract more customers.
    No doubt this curent tv show will attract more customers, still feel SKY could do more to interact with the general public and current customers via channel 861. The only edge 861 has is "Your hand could be shown on TV"  - just not that sexy is it. A series where you could end up playing versus a table of pro's for big money on 861 would deffo get the blood going.

• edited February 2013
    Any show about Poker, has to be entertaining to encourage newcomers to the game!
    Orford, Tikay, Hartigan, Citrone, Fowler and Champion do 5 hour stints, that are a laugh a minute and more often than not, you learn something.
    I wasn't entertained and to give Hartigan his due, I realised that its his commentary that makes the shows good on other channels!
    Sorry but I wouldn't give more than a 3 out of ten, could do a lot better for the show.
  • edited February 2013
    just watched first episode

pretty poor imo

main thoughts are

three or four people talking at once impossible to hear or understand what was being said other than jovial banter which is fine for a while but hardly ground breaking is it (could go to any poker club to here similar)

mostly consisted of people saying rastasfish is loud (really)  and a few are carrying to much weight well that was all i could make out.

Personally if i had never played poker before rob yong, rastafish and sam razavi would not mean a jot to me. In this episode we learnt very little about the players 

The last series was at times a bit dour but there were some interesting stories told (that you could actually hear) and some interesting hands/spots.

For me it failed to be either entertaining or a show that explained or showed poker from the side of poker just kind of fell in the middle.

• edited February 2013
    I can assure you that everyone taking part took it very seriously indeed.  There was one player who maybe looked like he just splashed around but when you have his net worth can you blame him.  However everyone was very professional in terms of their approach to the game/in the green room etc.   Even tho I am used to being in a TV environment now, I was surprised by how much different doing pre-recorded TV was to the live shows.  In a lot of ways a live show is so much easier. Havent seen the final cut but looking forward to.
    Posted by scotty77
    Stop the spoilers, we haven't seen the eposoide with Richard Orford in it yet!
  • edited February 2013
    would of been nice to see some of our boys playing. sam1986, andrew1947, styles2737, offshoot, ljamesl, simuk, lolufold etc etc not sure if zing, launder etc are actually people or seen daylight so couldnt ask them.
    Posted by mewillows
    +1

who cares about watching bill gates play bingo, zzzz