You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sunday night live with Sarah and tikay, close but no cigar...*****official show thread*****

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat

Happy weekend everyone!

So we're after your 'close but no cigar' stories for Sunday night's live show. have you ever come close to victory but fallen at the final hurdle?  Maybe you were steaming past everyone in the school sack race when you landed flat on your face or maybe you lost out on £500,000 in the dying seconds of a football game, did you read about this poor guy!?

A gambler lost out on a £500,000 football jackpot when the ref blew for full-time just as a last-gasp goal was about to cross the line.

The mystery punter staked £3 on a string of FA Cup upsets at the weekend.

Three results panned out as predicted but he watched in horror as the ref ruled out the last goal he needed in Leeds' fourth round clash with Spurs.

GUTTED.

A seat into Tuesday's mini bounter hunter is yours for the taking! We've got four to give away...

See you Sunday from 7

Sarah xx

Comments

• edited February 2013
    One particular forumer will have the ultimate close but no cigar story. I won't spoil it but it is very very sick and there was a thread specifically about it a couple of months ago!
  • edited February 2013
    Wow Sarah, I think that's the worst close but no cigar story I've ever heard!!

Bloody refs ;) lol

I can think of a few from others but they will post them up themselves no doubt.

• edited February 2013
    Hoping mentioning this tourny is allowed. 

I was at the UKIPT Nottingham last year. Finnishing day 1C 2nd in chips only to Chris Brammer. 14th overall given the previous 2 day 1's. 

After a rough sleep, and a dodgey breakfast i wasn't feeling to great going onto Day 2. A mistimed bluff, bad beat and lost flip later i busted just shy of the cash. 
  • edited February 2013
    Well at least your team mates didn't make you wear a bright orange mankini Don... Not on that occasion anyway ;-)

I heard a good story myself, of friend of a friend who was down the pub watching the Portugese football team play and looked down at his phone to see odds of '200-1' on Ronaldo scoring next!  I'll have a bit of that he thinks! and sure enough Ronaldo scores next so he's dancing round the pub buying everyone drinks...

It wasn't until he sobered up the next day and checked his phone that he saw he'd actually bet on Rolando, a defender, who was sat on the bench at the time.

Whoops.  
  • edited February 2013
    A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, is a big ravens fan. In the final playoffs this year, knowing I am a 9ers fan, he put an accumulator on the 49ers and the ravens to win and reach the superbowl.

As any 9ers fans will know, they went 17-0 down at the start, and in a moment of panic he cancelled his bet, making a loss of around £10. The 49ers came back to win, and the underdog ravens did too, meaning he lost out on the accumulator bet.

Personally as a 49ers fan I find this hilarious, but he was less than impressed.

(PS go 9ers tonight, just to rub it in)
  • edited February 2013

A substitution seems to have been made. Has Carlo's mum grounded him after Thursday's show?

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Sunday night live with Sarah and tikay, close but no cigar...*****official show thread*****:
    A substitution seems to have been made. Has Carlo's mum grounded him after Thursday's show?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Ha ha!  For those that missed the show thursday Carlo admitted to having milked an injury when he was a kid at school to get out of double maths... He ended up in hospital and in plaster for six weeks with suspected torn ligaments (there was nothing wrong with him)  His mum who was white as a sheet in the back of the ambulance at the time had no idea to this day that the injury was made up, well no idea until thursday when she emailed in with 'oooh you little fibber!'

I'm not sure as to the reason of Carlo's absence this evening but yes there's been a last minute substitution and we have the pleasure of Mr Tony Kendall.  We're after your hand ID's for the poker clinic at 8 as well so if you've played a tv table and would like a hand analysed let us know...

See you from 7! 
  • edited February 2013
    PS Since we had some truly great stories in on thursday of bluffing in life, telling a white lie maybe that spiralled out of control, if you've got any more of those we'll be awarding four lots of free entry into Tuesday's mini primo for our favourite contributions to the show...  I reckon Mr Kendall might have a story or two to share as well...

Sx
  • edited February 2013
    Guessing u may have to staple Tikay to the chair for the last half hour, with it being superbowl night
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Sunday night live with Sarah and tikay, close but no cigar...*****official show thread*****:
    Guessing u may have to staple Tikay to the chair for the last half hour, with it being superbowl night
    Posted by Ilera
    Ha!

I'm new to American Football, but I've fallen in love with it, & I adore watching it.

A bunch of friends & myself have a little "Tips" collective, & we were alerted by a wily Gent to the 49-ers several months ago, when they were about 6/1. (Now 1/3). We have greened a bit, too, just in case, so we are on a winner come what may. Freeroll!

All of us - dozens of us - are on the 9ers tonight, so yes, I was all prepared for an evening in front of the TV, watching that.  

These things happen, no complaints from me, but yes, come the end of the Show, I'll be out of the Studio like lightning.

Hope you enjoy the Show, & the Super Bowl.

Incidentally, an erudite friend of mine told me today that it is "Super Bowl", not "Superbowl". I never knew that, either.

• edited February 2013
    Didn't know that, nice tip :)

I've supported them off and on for years, usually been a easy life as by mid season they were usually out of any chance to win anything, so good to see them coming good again last couple of years.

I must also confess to a bet on ravens so win-win (though the pain of having to bet on them will haunt me for a while)

Should be a good night, tomorrow off work so super bowl, first proper attempt at a mini primo, and you guys on the tv. Looking forward to it, and the beers and munchies are poised and ready.
  • edited February 2013
    Tikay did mention on another thread that Mr. Whiteside was/is a podiatrist...
  • edited February 2013
    Evening Sarah & Tikay!! Looking forward to a great show tonight!! My close but no cigar story is as follows.
    One sunday a few years ago my dad told me that he had a winning lottery ticket of 4 numbers & the bonus number. So my dad sent me down to the local shop to cash the ticket in. I walked the 15 minutes to the shop to get told by the lady behind the counter that my ticket was not a winning one......thinking this must be a mistake i walked a further half an hour to another shop, got to the counter & told the lady that i would like to cash in my winning ticket.....only to get told again that my ticket was not a winning one!! After a lenghty 45 minute walk home, confronted my then very expectant father who thought he was onto a winner that the ticket was not a winner.
    After a check of the ticket, it appeared that this was a ticket from the previous wednesday's lottery.........Oh so close but no cigar!!!!!
    Have a great show guys!! Speak soon!! Stuart!!
  • edited February 2013
    Looking forward to tonights show.  Does Tikay know the story about how the Super Bowl was named?

Thank you for the free entry into tonights Mini primo.  I've managed to get into the main primo via the late reg semi so the jackpot is on!
  • edited February 2013
    The Title was coined one day when Lamar Hunt, architect of the AFL, came across his daughter's 'Super Ball' . "Why not," he wondered, "call our championship game the Super Bowl?" 

The AFC champions also win the Lamar hunt trophy while the winners of the NFC win the George Hallas trophy.

American football is a great game.  I used to play it in my youth for my university and have been a New York Giants fan for almost 30 years now.  You know you're getting old when you watch the players and think to yourself, I used to watch your dad play!
  • edited February 2013
    Re golden tickets:

101 prizes, over £3000 worth, code = GOLDEN
  • edited February 2013
    Golden tickets £3000 prizes, code GOLDEN, 101 prizes running fromFeb 1st - Feb 7th, just about 2 av a go in the mini primo where i won entry from Thursdays show, thanks 4 that guys, by the way, did u tell Carlo that i will prove the story was true wen he proves his tan is!!!!  TK is lookin as dappa as eva..
  • edited February 2013
    Btw a surface laptop is one of the new microsoft ones where the display detaches to be used as a tablet. (Like other manufacturers have been producing for a while now)
  • edited February 2013
    once put on a ten team accumulator. and have been really close loads of times with one team letting me down.this time though i thought i had it .in the last minute as all my teams were up and full time. apart from west brom against derby. they were drawing and i was sitting praying for west brom to score .and they did in the 94th minute. i was jumping for joy it was for 4 grand. i strolled out the house to go to the bookies to collect my winnings and when i got there i was full of joy telling the lady she better have lots of cash for me to collect any way she put the ticket through and it said i hadnt won i thought she was just pulling a fast one she said no west brom and derby drew i said that must be a mistake as west brom had scored in 94th minute she said yes but derby scored in the 95th minute i was sickkkkkkkk didnt know what to do high as a kite one moment down the next lol
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Guys

Enjoying the show 

Only a cpl of things spring to mind

The "old survivor" series - £1 on Sunday - Got through eacv night to Final on Saurday - Payed top 5 for £700 + (would have been my single biggest win)

Made the Final table and went in 6th with AK vs AQ AIPF  - so close

Also finishing 1 off the bubble in the Bounty Hunder SPT at Blackpool after i could have  waited - Did get 7 bountys tho for £50 each and I was freerolling but again could have been my biggest payay to date if it wasnt foe a rush of blood to te head and k 3

So close
  • edited February 2013
    Primo hand please show: Hand id 618119712
    very awkward spot, thought was a tricky one on the river but went with my gut
  • edited February 2013
    So are you a typical poker player? Apparently...
    Male
    Been to college
    Married but with no children
    Plays for the 'skill and strategy'

Maybe we could find the LEAST typical of our players tonight!?  
  • edited February 2013
    So are you a typical poker player? Apparently... Male Been to college Married but with no children Plays for the 'skill and strategy' Maybe we could find the LEAST typical of our players tonight!?  
    Posted by Sarah_C
    Gosh darn it! This is where I deviate from the "average". Can't seem to get a wife.

Maybe it's the name.
  • edited February 2013
    618139474was this a good fold in the 5k bounty hunter tina
  • edited February 2013
    what has happened to the forum special final table tourny which should of been on tonight....sky has 6 players with no answers still waiting......please help..........
  • edited February 2013
    Thank you for showing me in analyse my play. It was great fun and my exit was totally standard. The only real close but no cigar moment I have had was coming runner up in a freeroll for an spt grand final seat. Winner got the seat and I as runner up got, well, a few hours of playing poker and nothing else. Oh well!
  • edited February 2013
    Another question for Tikay if possible...

I usually play holdem, but have recently dabbled in a bit of omaha. What advice would you give a new omaha player on what to look for in hole cards? Ive heard big pairs arent so important, what general things are good / bad?

Enjoying show as always, and still the bowl to come.
  • edited February 2013

hi sarah, tikay, ...
    JACKPOT          

time 22:31        
    entered both 107        
    left in both 3        

main mini      
    entered 235 411      
    left 58 61      

subsnw 21 42      
    snellie40 44 52      
    lovejunky 54 6      

• edited February 2013
    Thanks for the advice on omaha, it was actually the feb challenge that prompted me to experiment, though so far i have reached a massive 1 in a row.

I will check out the links etc, and let you know how i get on.

• edited February 2013

JACKPOT          

time 22:56        

main mini both    
    entered 235 411 107    
    left 38 43 3    

subsnw 3 32      
    lovejunky 36 15      
    snellie40 38 25