You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thursday Night Live on 861 with Rich and Ryan: the official Sky Poker TV show thread

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi Rich & Ryan

Its probably the odds things with me too.

How do pot odds correlate with odds on, say, hitting your flush/straight draw etc if the 2 sets of odds are different?

Cheers
Mick

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Hi gang!

We're well into February already and here comes your first Thursday night live show of the month on Sky Poker TV 7pm on Channel 861 and streamed from this website.

Keeping things moving along will be myself, Richard Orford... 

...and lending us his poker knowledge wares will be Ryan Spittles.

And here's your show: (subject to change at this stage)-

7pm: Live coverage of the £600 TV Timed Tournament- look out for that in the lobby on the night and make sure you reg!

8pm: Poker Clinic: get your hand requests in to us and we'll do the rest.

9pm: Live coverage of the sit and go tables on Sky Poker.com!

10pm: Top of the Pots!

11pm: Live coverage of the £15K Sky Sports Bounty Hunter

And, this week, let's put our cards on the table and fess up- 'coz I bet even if you've been playing poker for years there's at least one thing you still haven't quite got your head round yet. So...

What have you always wanted explained in poker but were too afraid to ask?

Ok, I'll admit. I get the concept of pot odds, but blimey, I have some trouble getting my head around whether adding £25 to a £100 pot is 3-1 or 4-1. I'm making 3 times my money right? So that's 3-1. But I 'm being given £100 so that's 4-1. Which one? 

Also, I still get hazy on a few terms which for some reason just won't stick in the long-term memory banks e.g. cold-calling, never going broke in an unraised pot, flat-calling v just calling, donk bets etc.

So, this is where we (a) confess to the things we still haven't quite conquered and (b) then get Ryan to put them to bed for us once and for all!

Fire out as many as you like and 4 of you who write in will get freerolled into Sunday night's mini Primo and of course everyone's names and answers will get read out on the show!

For all your messaging needs you can use this thread, email skyopen@bskyb.com, or Tweet #skypokertv

Good luck and see you all on Thursday night at 7pm- Channel 861 or streamed on this very site!
  • edited February 2013
    Rich, What do you think of peter odemwingie situation??

Have you ever turned up at a TV company offering your services ( i said tv company, not a TV)
  • edited February 2013
    Silly Question but its my nemesis at the table.
    If I have a marginal hand (pocket 8's -J's, AQ, AJ, KQ QJ suited)
    What % of my stack, is likely to make it uncomfortable for opponents to call? yet still give me the opportunity to get away from a rainbow flop?
    I either don't raise enough and end up with a family pot. Allowing opponents who shouldn't be there in the first place to develop the nuts
    or,
    I raise too much and even if the flop doesn't hit, I commit myself because i've invested too much to let go.
    I appreciate it depends on the stage of the tournament but perhaps Ryan could advise on the following situations?

2,000 chips blinds 20/40

8,000 chips blinds 150/300

25,000 chips blinds 400/800

I know the answer should be pretty basic, It should be second nature to raise the correct amount. But I end up thinking too deeply and hit the min raise button, when I know I should be applying pressure.

Thanks in anticipation have a great show!
  • edited February 2013
    Great responses already- will be sure to spend some time on those tomorrow night. Keep them coming pleas. Think this could be a really cathartic and interesting topic!

As for Jaegerbomb- not too impressed with Odemwingie! Although we did have Claire Balding turn up at Sky Poker studios for a presenting transfer on deadline day, thinking it was a done deal. We sent her packing. 

This story may or may not be true. 
  • edited February 2013
    There's gotta be a better pic of Ryan than that surely?  I mean, he looks like he's just been caught after being on the run and living rough for 6 x months and not had any sleep for 2 weeks!!  Or was it taken at a SPT?  

Things it took me a while to understand..that's easy, the terms "under-the-gun"  and "cut-off" totally confuesd me when I started watching 865 (as it was then). 
  • edited February 2013

Bonny evening Richard, Ryan and folks behind the cameras whom we never see.

The odds thing is really simple.

The number on the left is the amount in the middle already and the number on the right is the amount you have to put in to win it. For example:

The pot is 100 and your opponent bets 50.

Now there is 150 in the middle and you have to put 50 in to win it. So the pot odds are 150:50. That's the same as 3:1.

To get that as a percentage you add up the two numbers, which is obviously 4. Then you divide the amount of your bet by that number. So it's your stake divided by the total of the pot. The pot odds mean your break even point is 25%. So if your hand is going to be the best more than 25% of the time, the call is profitable.

Honestly Richard, don't suffer in silence. Next time you have a question just post in the clinic and we'll help you out. :)

I'm normally less patronising. lol

• edited February 2013
    A hand from Tuesday's Turbo Open for the clinic, if it pleases you:

Hand History #618834064 (20:10 05/02/2013)

I got myself into a bit of a muddle on the river in this one.

Pre-flop, I want to isolate the limper in position but get action from the Big Blind. On the turn I think I bet a little too small to set myself up to shove the river but I wanted to build the pot if I hit and also allow myself to jam the river if I miss.

The river is obviously a great card to turn my hand into a bluff. However, I bottled it a little and justified the check by thinking I had some showdown value. In reality, I think a shove could have drawn a fold from better Tens or perhaps a weak King and the only hand I beat is likely to be a flush draw which I beat whether I check or shove. 

So does Ryan think I was sensible to check back the river or should I have followed through with the jam? Am I wrong to think a King might fold?

I have no history with the opponent and it's very early doors in the tournament.

Ta for your thoughts.

Have a great show.

It's Fizzy?
  • edited February 2013
    It doesn't help that Tikay always gets the odds thing wrong - if there's 150 in there and it's 50 to call, he always says its 50 to win 200 so you're getting 4 to 1 - no it's 50 to win 150 so you're getting 3 to 1 odds.

P.S. Nice to see some coverage of the Sit & Gos on the channel
  • edited February 2013
    The thing I've never quite understood is that, why, in live poker, are you not allowed to ask the dealer to work out size of the pot
  • edited February 2013
    Richard, one other thing, please don't go into too much detail about the first epsiode of the Cash Game as a lot of people don't have Sky Sports and won't see it until it appears on 861. Thanks
  • edited February 2013
  • edited February 2013
    Confused.Com

Hi Richard and Ryan,always enjoy your show,still get confused, when someone says they had trips and someone else says they had a set!

Please explain what the difference is!

Thank you!
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live on 861 with Rich and Ryan: the official Sky Poker TV show thread:
    Richard, one other thing, please don't go into too much detail about the first epsiode of the Cash Game as a lot of people don't have Sky Sports and won't see it until it appears on 861. Thanks
    Posted by FCHD
    Good posts FCHD, and don't worry- I will not be revealing any details about Ep 1 of the Cash Game, for the simple reason that I haven't seen it!
    I'm waiting for it to run on 861 before I watch it and start chatting about it in depth.

:-)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live on 861 with Rich and Ryan: the official Sky Poker TV show thread:
    How to win?
    Posted by Machka
    I can't help you with that one, Aaron.  I don't think anyone can...
  • edited February 2013
    Confused.Com Hi Richard and Ryan,always enjoy your show,still get confused, when someone says they had trips and someone else says they had a set! Please explain what the difference is! Thank you!
    Posted by wynne1938
    Hi Wynne, cheers for that one. And I know the answer too. Although I admit it took me a little while to get totally locked in so I didn't have to think about it. Will explain all tonight!
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live on 865 with Rich and Ryan: the official Sky Poker TV show thread:
    There's gotta be a better pic of Ryan than that surely?  I mean, he looks like he's just been caught after being on the run and living rough for 6 x months and not had any sleep for 2 weeks!!  Or was it taken at a SPT?   Things it took me a while to understand..that's easy, the terms "under-the-gun"  and "cut-off" totally confuesd me when I started watching 865 (as it was then). 
    Posted by Glenelg

...funny you should say that, Padraig...
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live on 865 with Rich and Ryan: the official Sky Poker TV show thread:
    A hand from Tuesday's Turbo Open for the clinic, if it pleases you: Hand History #618834064 (20:10 05/02/2013) I got myself into a bit of a muddle on the river in this one. Pre-flop, I want to isolate the limper in position but get action from the Big Blind. On the turn I think I bet a little too small to set myself up to shove the river but I wanted to build the pot if I hit and also allow myself to jam the river if I miss. The river is obviously a great card to turn my hand into a bluff. However, I bottled it a little and justified the check by thinking I had some showdown value. In reality, I think a shove could have drawn a fold from better Tens or perhaps a weak King and the only hand I beat is likely to be a flush draw which I beat whether I check or shove.  So does Ryan think I was sensible to check back the river or should I have followed through with the jam? Am I wrong to think a King might fold? I have no history with the opponent and it's very early doors in the tournament. Ta for your thoughts. Have a great show. It's Fizzy?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Great posts Borin, will be all over them tonight!

Side note- did you know you share your first name, Borin, with one of the dwarves in JRR Tolkien's Middle-Earth books?

• edited February 2013
    Iv always wanted to know if quad 8's beat quad 9's? =)
  • edited February 2013
    Why is heads up play called heads up?  The players are normally looking down either looking at their cards or playing with their chips.  The last thing they normally do is put their heads up incase they give a tell away!

Why isn't it against the rules to give me a walk when I have aces in the big blind?

I won't give much away from Ep1 of the cash game but it does feature one amazing hand that I thought I would never see in my lifetime.  Rob Yong folds a hand pre flop!!! 

Ok, I'll admit. I get the concept of pot odds, but blimey, I have some trouble getting my head around whether adding £25 to a £100 pot is 3-1 or 4-1. I'm making 3 times my money right? So that's 3-1. But I 'm being given £100 so that's 4-1. Which one? 

Neither.  It means you are losing £25!

Run well all and have fun

• edited February 2013
    why i havn't had to deposit since last
    may?.
    And why all the good players can shuffle there chips?.

• edited February 2013

I would like to know whether Poker Players
    should be considered as:-

a) Gamblers?
    b) Business Men?
    or
    c) Athletes?

If the answer is C what excuse has Tikay, if he treats his body like a temple?

a) Age
    b) obsolete parts
    or
    C) Someone ran off with the restoration fund?

Have a great show tonight!

• edited February 2013
    Never really got the rules on whether a poker player can say his hand out loud when the hand is still going, seen it happen a few times, but don't know what the actual rules are.
  • edited February 2013
    Hello gents.

My question is - why do people at the business end of tournaments seek to do deals? If (if!) I was ever in that position I would be doing my best to win the thing outright!

Does Ryan think that deal making should continue to be permitted at tournaments?

Might see you on a sit & go!

Have a good show.

Ash
  • edited February 2013
    What would the odds have been,On paige55 finishing 2nd in top off the post,s tourney played on the 2nd of Feb.against Dohhhhhhh,PatWalshh,Borinloner,garyQQQ,ScouseRed,Now try to answer that one xx
  • edited February 2013
    What would the odds have been,On paige55 finishing 2nd in top off the post,s tourney played on the 2nd of Feb.against Dohhhhhhh,PatWalshh,Borinloner,garyQQQ,ScouseRed,Now try to answer that one xx
    Posted by paige55

You lost connection once heads-up??
  • edited February 2013
    Some great questions people!

Keep firing them in, don't be shy. I don't think any of them are embarrassing- and we'll get them sorted tonight!

2 hours to the show.

Don;t forget the first hour will be the 7.10pm TV timed tournament- £600 GTD and £5.50 to enter- we'll follow the whole thing between 7 and 8. Make sure you're in it!
  • edited February 2013
    Great responses already- will be sure to spend some time on those tomorrow night. Keep them coming pleas. Think this could be a really cathartic and interesting topic! As for Jaegerbomb- not too impressed with Odemwingie! Although we did have Claire Balding turn up at Sky Poker studios for a presenting transfer on deadline day, thinking it was a done deal. We sent her packing.  This story may or may not be true. 
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    im a QPR , so annoyin , we dnt sign odemwingie and then Remy goes and gets injuredand is out for remainder of season ! so tilt
  • edited February 2013
    Howdy Rich and Ryan,

I was at a live tournament recently and going well when the player on my left bust out.  A new player sat down and it was obvious that he had had plenty to drink.  He was loud and annoying, kept making inappropriate comments and then wanting to get up and apologise and shake players hands.  He fumbled with the cards and was flipping them over when he dealt.  Nothing he did amounted to gross misconduct but was just so distracting that he spoilt the game for everyone, except himself, as he was having a great time.  I wonder if Ryan has ever come across this situation and what action, if any, would it be appropriate to take, or do you just suffer in silence.

Thanks,

Geof Walker
    (MISTERWIN)

P.S.  Don't ever sit me next to Tikay again!!!
  • edited February 2013
    the thing i'v always wanted to know is why do some villians show no aggression preflop flop and turn but on the river show mega aggression
    another puzzling thing is what does the constant min betting achieve other than to allow others on the table the chance to call if they want to bluff or hold a good hand why don't they do realistic bets sometimes otherwise just hit the check button rather than waste their money
  • edited February 2013
    why do people just call or check but never raise i find these players annoying to play as u cant get em to fold and they never raise. u just cant get any info from these players they play aa like any other hand u think your ahead and bam your beat.and why come players never put u all in but you go all in example u have 950 in chips and your opponent has 2000 in chips but they raise 900 so u go all in and then they call and your ahead and they win lol is it a system or something like playin the bandit where you press hold then cancel then hold then cancel then spin and u hit the jackpot lol