You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HUSNG Standard Structure Diary

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat
As a few of you know me i have been playing on Sky for a a good few years now. At the beginning i just messed around at DYMS, Cash, MTTS etc. Recently though i have really started to knuckle down at the game and one inparticular Heads Up Sit & Gos. I absolutely love playing them as i feel i can really implimente my game on the opponent a lot more than i can in other formats of the game. I do prefer to play standard structures though as hypers and turbos are too quick for me, i prefer the patient game of grinding down an opponent. A lot will say i miss out on a lot of C4P but im not worried as im happy in what i am doing. Now i started playing these solidly at £5:25 level towards the end of November with a BR of £200, however i have since been able to withdraw that money and play with total profit as i made it back and more. So below is the statistics of my first 570 games.

65/35 +£125
61/39 +£85
54/46 +£15
54/46 +£15
58/42 +£55
48/22 +£112.50

I plan on moving up to £10:50 level after 2000 games and hopefully by doing this diary it will keep me on track and any advice on hands and situations i will post in here will be much appreciated as im always willing to learn.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Goodluck hotwheals hopefully you can keep up the good work and get onto them 10s.
  • edited February 2013
    It is my own topic its Standard, not turbo or hypers ;). Just a quick update on the day played 10 won 7 and lost 3. Although i did get my own fair share of luck. A flip with my AK against opponents 5s in first game and flop AAK kind of says it all really lol, and to be honest i ran like that all day. Hopefully get 20 in tomorrow which will take me up to 600 games. I really do need to get this flip mentality out of my head though i think if i want to win long term.

BR: £441.90
  • edited February 2013
    Managed to get the final 20 games in to take me up to 600 games, didnt go as well as i would have like as i won 9 and lost 11, but i cant complain because i have had my fair share of luck over the past few days. I really do feel confident at this level however im a perfectionist and im a little annoyed with one particular game i had where i had KK and the flop came K,7,4 rainbow he bet out 400 and i just went in over his head all in and he folded. Thinking about it now i feel i should have called and let him bet again before going all in. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

BR £426.90 (After 600 games)
  • edited February 2013
    Played 20 games over the past 48 hours winning 12 and losing 8 for a £15 profit, so quite a good outcome. At the moment im just letting the profit tick over as i dont feel im being asked too much questions by my opponents. The only thing that slows me down is variance from time to time but thats poker. Will update in another 30 games time.

BR: £441.90
  • edited February 2013
    gl with your diary im sure i`ve played you before in a hu stt in the past your name rings a bell

also why don`t you and benc start a challenege vs one another for example who has the best roi% in the month min 1000 games that would be interesting see who wins since both of you have proved to be winning players in this format just an idea though.

gl at tables
  • edited February 2013
    "I really do need to get this flip mentality out of my head though i think if i want to win long term".

What do you mean by that hotwheals?

also why don`t you and benc start a challenege vs one another for example who has the best roi% in the month min 1000 games

I remember reading something similar in dohhhs diary liam and it looked good fun, although i think it would be impossible as hotwheals doesn't play as much as i do and to get through 1000 games at standard games would take a good couple of months or longer plus i rarely play standard games and the roi potential is alot higher in standard games than turbos and hypers. I missed out on the HU competition they ran on the forum as i was excluded at the time, but would love to see some kind of league or points system for HU games as the only tournament for HU is the shuffle. By the way Hotwheals you should give that a go sometime you start off with plenty of chips and blind levels are standardish i think, a couple of good players aside the field is normally very soft so would be a good chance to boost your bankroll up every so often.

• edited February 2013
    Yeah when I used to grind HU SnGs we had an ROI challenege between me, Splashies and Dohhh, don't think any of us actually bothered/managed to reach the 1000 games target in the end lol.

It's good, adds a bit of fun to it and stops it feeling like such a grind sometimes.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG Standard Structure Diary:
    "I really do need to get this flip mentality out of my head though i think if i want to win long term". What do you mean by that hotwheals? also why don`t you and benc start a challenege vs one another for example who has the best roi% in the month min 1000 games I remember reading something similar in dohhhs diary liam and it looked good fun, although i think it would be impossible as hotwheals doesn't play as much as i do and to get through 1000 games at standard games would take a good couple of months or longer plus i rarely play standard games and the roi potential is alot higher in standard games than turbos and hypers. I missed out on the HU competition they ran on the forum as i was excluded at the time, but would love to see some kind of league or points system for HU games as the only tournament for HU is the shuffle. By the way Hotwheals you should give that a go sometime you start off with plenty of chips and blind levels are standardish i think, a couple of good players aside the field is normally very soft so would be a good chance to boost your bankroll up every so often.  
    Posted by benc
    What i mean by the flip mentality benc is too many times in games in the early stages i may have say AK and raise then my opponent goes all in. I often call which i fell is wrong as i feel the right thing to do is fold early on as im not much more than 50/50 and as we know we need to win 53% of games to be showing a profit and if i keep doing that the margins of profit are going to get smaller. As for the challenge i agree it would be impossible as benc gets through more than me as he plays turbos to my standard games, good job though as we both know i would win ;) JOKE lol.
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah thats what i assumed used to have that problem myself would come up against someone who i knew i had a big edge against then stack off in the early blind levels when i didn't need too. We should play sometime be interesting i've played lambert a few times but have yet to play dohhh, always enjoy playing the names i recognize from either the forum or the sng leaderboard alot more as i know they must be decent.
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah thats what i assumed used to have that problem myself would come up against someone who i knew i had a big edge against then stack off in the early blind levels when i didn't need too. We should play sometime be interesting i've played lambert a few times but have yet to play dohhh, always enjoy playing the names i recognize from either the forum or the sng leaderboard alot more as i know they must be decent.
    Posted by benc
    Sure you know where i am :)
  • edited February 2013
    Try looking at www.tagpoker.co.uk

by FAR the best HU poker site around.  Excellent training videos and the owner of the site (brokestar) has successfully managed numerous $50 to $5000 challenges.

Other guy on the there (borg) went from playing $2 HU sit n gos to playing $500 HU sit n gos in 2 years and now totally crushes the $500 HU games on stars.

His last report had him at winning 21 out of 23

The sharkscope graphs on these guys is insane
  • edited February 2013
    Well just finished playing them 30 games and got a really good return. Won 20 and Lost 10 for a return of £42.50 profit. In a way i have mixed feelings about this session as i fell i did very well against some decent winning players that showed up against me, however i lost the last few last night and now on reflection this afternoon i feel that was partly to do with the fact i played on a little to long and was getting tired, so maybe thats something i need to think about in the future. Anyway will update in another 20 games time :)

BR : £484.40
  • edited February 2013
    Just finished the next set of 20 games and what a strange set that was. I won 11 and lost 9 for a small profit of £5. The session started really badly losing the first 3 and then just when i thought things were going bad i accidentally signed up for a turbo game which in a funny way gave me a turbo boost as i won that and then went back to my normal game and started to string some games together. I know ive not had a lot of comments on here regarding the diary however i have had a lot of comments in the chat box. Some nice and some saying im a chancer and will never win long term. Maybe i might turn out to be a chancer but surely there is no harm in giving it a go. I will update again in 30 games time as that will take me up to 700 games.

BR : £489.40
  • edited February 2013
    Hotwheals, good luck to you.

You do what your doing, and dont worry about any detractor. Look forward to hearin how ur doin
  • edited February 2013
    Hotwheals, good luck to you. You do what your doing, and dont worry about any detractor. Look forward to hearin how ur doin
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thanks that means alot.
  • edited February 2013
    Very impressive first few days of your diary.

Played you once or twice & you're clearly a very good HU player, keep up the good work!
  • edited February 2013
    Very impressive first few days of your diary. Played you once or twice & you're clearly a very good HU player, keep up the good work!
    Posted by goldnballz
    ty m8
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Hotwheals.
    I've not posted on your diry until now but do read it with interest.

I have tried a few sesions on DYM myself, but I know at the moment (Due to time constaints) I just don't have the patients to succeed in them.

Do you play mostly during the day or nightime at the moment?
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Hotwheals. I've not posted on your diry until now but do read it with interest. I have tried a few sesions on DYM myself, but I know at the moment (Due to time constaints) I just don't have the patients to succeed in them. Do you play mostly during the day or nightime at the moment?
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Hi POKERTREV

I play alot in afternoons and alot late at night. I like playing late at night as i feel the tables can be a lot softer however i dont mind mixing it up. :)
  • edited February 2013
    Superb consistancy and impressive results, very well played. Like benc you've gone straight onto my HU STT avoid list!
  • edited February 2013
    Already at the top of my list as well! judging by our couple of games you will have no problem stepping up and could easily crush the turbos if you were to start playing them a bit more regularly, although it'll mean i have to start checking who is sitting before i sit down lol
  • edited February 2013
    Just finished my latest set of 30 games winning 18 and losing 12 for a profit of £22.50. In this session i tried out a few turbo games as well 3 to be precise and i know like u say benc i might crush these, they do frustrate me quickly lol. And thanks Gary QQQ for the compliments hope to see u on the tables soon. I have now played 700 games at this level so only another 1300 before i move up. Tonight im gonna play some more and i think i will give this £500 freerolll a go as its free money if i can score in it.

BR: £511.90
  • edited February 2013
    Just a quick update, not a great evening, crashed out of the freeroll in 4 hands shoving my two pair into another guys top pair and he hit the flush on the river. I have since then played 20 heads up games and won 9 and lost 11 losing £15. Pritty standard apart from one funny game where i got it all in pre with KK against my oponents k,6 suited (dont know why he was there) and the flop came 6,6,6 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. So pick myself up dust myself down and go again tomorrow :)

BR: £496.90
  • edited February 2013
    Small session this afternoon of 10 games winning 7 and losing 3 so im back on the winning trail. The games were pritty standard and quite long to be fair considering how they normally go. Will get another session in later so i will update soon :)

BR: £514.40
  • edited February 2013
    Just finished my next set of 10 games and wow what a result won 8 lost 2 and not bad considering i lost the first 2. Everything i did seemed to work, i always seemed to hit or catch up when needed. Gonna try and get another 10 done after work and if i have time i will update later, if im tired i will update tomorrow :)

BR: £541.90
  • edited February 2013
    Everything i did seemed to work, i always seemed to hit or catch up when needed.

I love them days lol keep up the good work mate
  • edited February 2013
    Well did manage to get the games in i said plus an extra one i will explain in a minute. I Won 6 and Lost 4 and for some reason i then accidently clicked on a £25 + 1.25 game that was waiting in the lobby i couldnt belive i was so stupid and it wont be happening again as ive soerted the filters out now so i can only register for my game. Anyway as you can guess it was one of the big boys but if im being honest i thought the game was really soft and i controlled it throughout and took it down when i was ready which surprised me. I have also taken that money out of my account so that it does not give a false reading to what i am trying to achieve here, but anyway back to the grind tomorrow :)

BR: £549.40
  • edited February 2013
    Hi all thought i would have a tiny change today just to mix things up a bit. People have been persuading me to play some tournies so i have deposited a bit of extra money so that i can do this. They are as follows:-

10k BH Semi £7.20, 6pm
    £300 BH £5.75, 1:30pm
    £120 Deep Stack £2.20 7:15pm
    £200 Deep Stack £5.50 8:15pm
    £2k mini BH £5.50 8:15pm

So thats £26.15 invested, lets see what i can do :) Will update later.
  • edited February 2013
    BAD SESSION ALERT LOL. Crashed out of the £300 BH as quick as i was in it calling an all in with top pair and he showed two overs. Then i played 10 games of Hu Won 3 Lost 7 ! I am old and wise enough to know this will happen from time to time as the varience kicks in as i dont feel i did a lot wrong. So a loss of £22.50. Will update on the other comps later. :)

BR: £526.90
  • edited February 2013
    Quick update i have just got through the BH Sat so i will be in the main event tongiht. It means im going to pull out of the £200 Deep Stack as i dont like playing to many tables at the same time. So i have actually invested £20.65 in comps today instead:)