You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tonight's Turbo Tuesday Show - slight change of plan.

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat

Good morning.

Tonight's Show will be exactly as advertised.

Except.....

Comments

• edited March 2013

Richard Orford is a little under the weather - he has a chill - so will not be Presenting as had been planned.

Hopefully, he will soon be as right as rein.

Get well soon Rich.

So, in his place....

• edited March 2013

....Jules Sowa has stepped in at short notice to coverr for Rich as Presenter tonight.

This will be Jules second Show, & she was well received last time, so I hope the Community will be as warm towards her as they were last time. It's a nerve-racking thing to do when you are new to the role.

She runs pretty bad, too, because.....

• edited March 2013

Scotty77, aka Ryan, was scheduled to do tonight's Show as Analyst, or "Expert", or whatever adjective you so choose.

However, some shifts have been swapped, & Ryan will now be doing Thursday (originally my shift) of next week instead of tonight's Show.

Unfortunately, that means there are no Experts available, & so I shall be doing tonight's Show.

How bad does Jules run? Two Shows on 861, both with me?

Orford will be getting jealous.

• edited March 2013

So the Show is exactly as advertised, except that the Presenter has changed, ditto the Analyst or Expert.

Oh, & there is one more change.....

• edited March 2013

As many of you know, the annual Cheltenham Festival takes place from Tuesday to Friday inclusive of next week.

So, between 8pm & 9pm this everning, we have a Guest, Michael Shinners, who is a big cheese at Sky Bet, & we will be discussing the Festival, & hopefully Michael will give us some pointers for next week.

If the horses don't interest you, we hope you will still enjoy it. It will not be "I fancy this to win that", we are hoping to make it lighthearted, fun, & informative, with some anecdotes & stories as we go along.

If it comes across OK, & is well-received, we will do more of these sort of things, before, for example, The Grand National, the US Masters Golf, Wimbledon, the Champions League Final, da de da. 

Still not interested?  

• edited March 2013

....well there wll be a few FREE BETS for Cheltenham on offer as prizes, as Sky Bet have kindly donated these.

So send in your questions about Cheltenham, Racing generally, or your own fancies for Cheltenham (& explain WHY), & we will dish out some FREE BETS tonight to the best of them.

Questions can be....

On this Show Thread

Via e-Mail to skyopen@bskyb.com

Via Twitter, to @SkyPoker, @skybet_Shinners or even to myself @Tony_Kendall

I cannot promise you will enjoy it, but it won't be just boring race previews, we will try & make it fun & enjoyable for everyone.

Details of the Prizes will be on thread later today.
  • edited March 2013

If you can answer this question, AND the story behind of how, what & why, you may win one of the FREE BETS on offer tonight.....

What has this Coach got to do with the Cheltenham Festival?

• edited March 2013
    Do we answer the question here or via email? I know questions can be via emails on here but what about answers? :D
  • edited March 2013

Probably best by e-Mail Shaun, or everyone will see your answer & copy it!

skyopen@bskyb.com
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tonight's Turbo Tuesday Show - slight change of plan.:
    Probably best by e-Mail Shaun, or everyone will see your answer & copy it! skyopen@bskyb.com
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ok done :D not sure if it is what you was looking for lol
  • edited March 2013

The devil is in the detail Shaun. The more the better. Quite a story, one way & another. 
  • edited March 2013
    good evening jules, tikay and michael, a question for michael, now the ground at cheltenham is drying out all the time, would you advise placing ante post bets on any of the festival races, or continue to wait to nearer the time of races to see the state of ground.  i ask this as there are alot of horses this week pulling out of cheltenham, and some horses being well supported in the market recently.

have a great show guys,  p.s what does Tikay fancy at the festival.
  • edited March 2013

Great question ms-tree, EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

Incidentally.....

Sky Bet are now non-runner, money back at all races at the Cheltenham Festival.

See....

http://www.skybet.com/horse-racing/cheltenham-festival
  • edited March 2013
    If it comes across OK, & is well-received, we will do more of these sort of things, before, for example, The Grand National, the US Masters Golf, Wimbledon, the Champions League Final, da de da.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    *sigh*

Hoping it's not well received, then.

I like poker on Sky Poker. Tennis, 'orses and golf not so much. They have their own shows and what not.

It does beg the question of whether the poker side of Sky B&G is struggling... Or is the idea of this to encourage poker players to have a bit more of a gamble on sports betting? Obviously all poker players are degen gamblers, so why not, eh?

(I'm just playing devil's advocate really. I'll find something else to do between 8-9 so it's no bother to me)
  • edited March 2013
    Golden Miller - Most successful Gold Cup horse ever.
    5 consecutive wins between 1932 - 1936

Fred Varney a bricklayer, founder of Golden Miller Coaches bought a ticket in the Irish sweepstakes and was lucky enough to draw Golden Miller. A well known book maker bought a half share in Fred's ticket for £3000. When Golden Miller won, he won the top prize of £30,000 which he had to give the book makers £15,000, this left Fred with £18,000. With the winnings he gained from the sweepstake Fred and his son-in-law founded a coach company and named it after the horse Golden Miller.  Many of the firm's coaches have a portrait of the horse on the front or side of the vehicle.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tonight's Turbo Tuesday Show - slight change of plan. : *sigh* Hoping it's not well received, then. I like poker on Sky Poker. Tennis, 'orses and golf not so much. They have their own shows and what not. It does beg the question of whether the poker side of Sky B&G is struggling... Or is the idea of this to encourage poker players to have a bit more of a gamble on sports betting? Obviously all poker players are degen gamblers, so why not, eh? (I'm just playing devil's advocate really. I'll find something else to do between 8-9 so it's no bother to me)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Good to see a Devil's advocate, but none of those assumptions are correct.

We are just trying to freshen up Channel 861, & there are lots of plans in train at present to do a lot of different & new things on Ch 861.

The Show has been going for over 6 years now, essentially unchanged, incredible really, but nothing can stay the same for ever, & we think we need to shake the tree from time to time, & find some new angles.

None of them will find favour with everyone, it's the nature of the beast, & no doubt we'll get a bit of stick, but it goes with the territory.

You have to ask yourself, repeatedly, can we justify the cost of the channel, & why don't other sites run a TV Channel? So we have to keep doing stuff which tries to ensure we are around as long as possible.

Better to try & fail, than not to try, & all that.
  • edited March 2013
    looking forward to this good idea tikay

Question for Michael

Personally i will be backing a lot of outsiders this year at cheltenham in the handicaps.

My reasoning is that the  ground is likely to be entirely different to what has been encountered so far this season and as such certain horses will thrive who have not had the chance to do so yet and the deep ground form may prove worthless.

Am i silly with this theory?

Thanks for your time
  • edited March 2013
    Golden Miller - Most successful Gold Cup horse ever. 5 consecutive wins between 1932 - 1936 Fred Varney a bricklayer, founder of Golden Miller Coaches bought a ticket in the Irish sweepstakes and was lucky enough to draw Golden Miller. A well known book maker bought a half share in Fred's ticket for £3000. When Golden Miller won, he won the top prize of £30,000 which he had to give the book makers £15,000, this left Fred with £18,000. With the winnings he gained from the sweepstake Fred and his son-in-law founded a coach company and named it after the horse Golden Miller.  Many of the firm's coaches have a portrait of the horse on the front or side of the vehicle.
    Posted by VespaPX

Good try Mr Vespa, but you have just copied that from Mr Wiki!

I could write a whole book about Golden Miller & stories about him & his connections, so we need a bit more really.....
  • edited March 2013

1) Hoping it's not well received, then.

2) Looking forward to this, good idea

And there you have it!

Try wearing these shoes, some days comfortable, some days they hurt something shocking......;)
  • edited March 2013

Racing questions for Michael...

1) Can you please explain in easy terms what NAP & NB mean?

I have over the last few months been having a small flutter on the horses mainly thanks to an excellent diary in punters corner by Shuv who posts daily with his tips/bets. I have been doing lucky 15's/Patents/Trixie's etc etc etc. I am about break even but my interest in the sport is growing steadily.

2) At a festival like Cheltenham, what is the most common way to place bets for the average punter like me?

Looking forward to this hour of the show. Oh, and the rest of it with Jules now at the helm. Not so much the Tikay ramblings about the 1901 Grand national that he attended :)  <<<smiley face in case taken the wrong way!

*Get better soon Richard.
  • edited March 2013
    I like the idea of mixing the show content up a little with the addition of the 'Cheltenham hour', as long as poker hours are only ever removed for topical events, I would have thought it would be a great new addition to the show line up.

As alluded to, a Grand National hour would be another good addition, I can think of one SkyPoker related story that would be well worth a mention in that show.

For me annything that adds to the build up to the US Masters would be a massive plus, it's one of my favourite weeks of the year, US Masters build up on 861 equals win win!

I'm sure with a bit of foresight there could be promotions and interactions for the likes of GrandNational themed SkyPoker tournaments / completions, US Master themed Sky pooker tournaments / competitions etc. etc.

• edited March 2013
    Racing questions for Michael... 1) Can you please explain in easy terms what NAP & NB mean? I have over the last few months been having a small flutter on the horses mainly thanks to an excellent diary in punters corner by Shuv who posts daily with his tips/bets. I have been doing lucky 15's/Patents/Trixie's etc etc etc. I am about break even but my interest in the sport is growing steadily. 2) At a festival like Cheltenham, what is the most common way to place bets for the average punter like me? Looking forward to this hour of the show. Oh, and the rest of it with Jules now at the helm. Not so much the Tikay ramblings about the 1901 Grand national that he attended :)  <<<smiley face in case taken the wrong way! *Get better soon Richard.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Another "like" I assume. It takes all sorts.

Funny you should mention the 1901 Grand National, won by Grudon, & ridden by the legendary Arthur Nightingall.

The thing was, it was trained by the Owner, the splendidly named Bernard Bletsoe. Now Bernard was a bit of a character, ZZZZ, zzzz, .........

Glad you are enjoying a bit of punting Alan. Good fun.   
  • edited March 2013
    I like the idea of mixing the show content up a little with the addition of the 'Cheltenham hour', as long as poker hours are only ever removed for topical events, I would have thought it would be a great new addition to the show line up. As alluded to, a Grand National hour would be another good addition, I can think of one SkyPoker related story that would be well worth a mention in that show. For me annything that adds to the build up to the US Masters would be a massive plus, it's one of my favourite weeks of the year, US Masters build up on 861 equals win win! I'm sure with a bit of foresight there could be promotions and interactions for the likes of GrandNational themed SkyPoker tournaments / completions, US Master themed Sky pooker tournaments / competitions etc. etc.  
    Posted by TheDart
    TheDart hits the bullseye.

That is exactly the germ of the idea. Whether it happens remains to be seen, but that is, approximately, the idea.

Who is your fancy for The Masters? 
  • edited March 2013
    I can honestly say i dont really know much about horse racing regarding looking up horses, about there form,ratings and what ground type they are good on. Where is the best place to check for form on horses, also where would i start?

I have bet on horses before but i like to go for the big odds, like 16/1 ect, i like to bet small for big returns, is this bad in the long run or worth a try? One last question. in general I know you would receive more doing out right win...but is it worth doing Each Way in a 6 horse race? Or only better when there is more horses in a race?
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tonight's Turbo Tuesday Show - slight change of plan. : TheDart hits the bullseye. That is exactly the germ of the idea. Whether it happens remains to be seen, but that is, approximately, the idea.   Who is your fancy for The Masters? 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Fancy for The Masters, what like one pick?

Well now that you ask, I am feeling rather smug about my ante post bet on Brandt Snedeker at 66/1.

As long as his sore ribs don't turn out to be something more sinister, I'm at least happy that I have found a 'value bet'.

My other ante post bet is Dustin Johnson at 40/1, which for a while was also looking like great value.

How about you Tikay?
  • edited March 2013
    I agree that horse racing shows, golf shows, etc are a good idea. However if I put "At The Races" on, I wouldn't expect to see a poker show and the same surely is true in reverse.

On a channel named "Sky Poker" you don't expect horse racing hours. To coin a phrase; it doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin.

Rebrand the channel as "Sky Poker & Betting" and there would be no such incongruence between the name of the channel and its content.

As I say, I'm not really fussed. It just seems a bit silly.
  • edited March 2013
    I agree that horse racing shows, golf shows, etc are a good idea. However if I put "At The Races" on, I wouldn't expect to see a poker show and the same surely is true in reverse. On a channel named "Sky Poker" you don't expect horse racing hours. To coin a phrase; it doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin. Rebrand the channel as "Sky Poker & Betting" and there would be no such incongruence between the name of the channel and its content. As I say, I'm not really fussed. It just seems a bit silly.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Fair comment Mr Borin, but at best, even if tonight's trial proves successful or popular, & we do it for other Sporting Events, it will take up around 1% of our Live Output. Seems a bit extreme to change the Show name for such a mini-diversion. Other thread feedback seems to take the complete opposite view. Horses - whoops - for courses & all that.

There will be quite a lot of fresh & different stuff coming up, almost all of it poker-related. My Nan used to say "a little of what is no good for you does you good".  

To this day, I still don't know what she meant, but Nan's are never wrong, eh?

A "bit silly". Nailed me on that one. ;)
  • edited March 2013

I should have just drawn comparison to Tesco's value "beef" burgers. Can't believe I missed that one... Never mind.

I'm off to watch the football on Sky Cricket HD. :)

Have a great show Tikay and Jules.

• edited March 2013
    Nans are LEGENDS!!
  • edited March 2013
    I should have just drawn comparison to Tesco's value "beef" burgers. Can't believe I missed that one... Never mind. I'm off to watch the football on Sky Cricket HD. :) Have a great show Tikay and Jules.
    Posted by BorinLoner

Tikay would have only made you eat your words though :)