You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation...

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation...:
    I think that between Scotty, Tommy and Doh we have a winner The sunday qualifiers were a great thing, they gave everyone the chance to get into the team and more importantly gave everyone the opportunity to win a seat into a tournament with a buyin that is well out of most peoples reach. The more exclusive the tournament entry the better, everyone loves an "I won an £1100 seat for a quid" story. Have a decent satellite structure similar to Viva Las Vegas. I would also advertise the fact that the seat was in addition to the prizepool as I dont think this was clear from the outset last time. So there you have your marketing...not only can you win an £1100 seat but cash as well I agree with Doh, the picks should be on ability alone. To continue the football analogy, would you be happy if the team you support had a useless player who was in the team because he's a good laugh in the pub afterwards? The reintroduction of a league in some form or another would be fantastic. When i started playing on skypoker, i played £2.30BHs, somehow (I forget exactly how the league worked) I was entered into a freeroll at the end of the month/quarter where the prize was top 10 won a seat into the Thursday night £110 roller. I got into the roller through the freeroll one month. As someone who deposited the odd 50 quid when the student loan came in was a great prize, I was playing in a tournament that i couldnt afford to buy into with people that i'd watched on mastercash (I was terrified). As a result I aimed to get into that freeroll each time, and probably deposited a bit too much of the student loan in the process. The point is it created brand loyalty, gave people of all bank rolls the opportunity to enter something they couldn't normally afford. I think a similar thing would work for TSP. Top 10 from MTT, STT, Cash play a tournament at the end of the period with the prize being TSP. The top 150 (I think thats what it was before) from each discipline entered into a freeroll with x number of seats into the sunday qualifier on offer.
    Posted by ryan83

It would be great to see DOH as a TSP player, he defo has what it takes to win a big live game .

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation... : It would be great to see DOH as a TSP player, he defo has what it takes to win a big live game .
    Posted by susansue

For this Dohhh has to actually leave the house
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation... : It would be great to see DOH as a TSP player, he defo has what it takes to win a big live game .
    Posted by susansue
    If he ever left the house.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation... : For this Dohhh has to actually leave the house
    Posted by The_Don90
    Sigh.
  • edited August 2013
    A tournement idea - UKIPT Series 3 (London). £250 BI, 400 cap, non-Tv event.

I did like the TSP that was drawn up last time where it was a mix of picks and a mix of qualifiers.

I think IDCU and his mum should be selected, they are personally what I feel the best players on sky therefore granted seats IMO.

• edited August 2013
    [ ] A donkament is the best way to decide who should represent a site.

Players chosen should be talented both on and off the felt. I find it bemusing how many Micro stakes grinders that don't have excellent people skills feel they should have a shot at being an SPT member.

If anyone, pick like, a Neil Channing-esque guy of the Sky Poker world imo. Great people person, and can hold his own at the tables too.
    EZ
  • edited August 2013
    110% Send this guy above me. would be such lulz him flipping out or calling names like in his videos. :P
  • edited August 2013
    110% Send this guy above me. would be such lulz him flipping out or calling names like in his videos. :P
    Posted by Sammydrid
    Come on dude, let's be nice here.

I really don't think it'd be fair to subject ANYONE to my jibberish. :P

Plus, I doubt I'd do a great job repping Sky. 5mins into an MTT and I'd already be on the rail doing a Hellmuthian strut. No to mention I'd be too keen trying to get some HU4ROLLZ action on the go anyway!

But hey, in for a penny in for a pound, in for a grand, in for a milly. Count me in the hunt.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation... : Come on dude, let's be nice here. I really don't think it'd be fair to subject ANYONE to my jibberish. :P Plus, I doubt I'd do a great job repping Sky. 5mins into an MTT and I'd already be on the rail doing a Hellmuthian strut. No to mention I'd be too keen trying to get some HU4ROLLZ action on the go anyway! But hey, in for a penny in for a pound, in for a grand, in for a milly. Count me in the hunt.
    Posted by Smitalos
    You deffo need to come to an SPT and meet MacaPaca when his drunk then ;)
  • edited August 2013
    I agree with a lot of the comments on here already.
    Tommy makes sense as does Tikay.
    I'd like to see a TSP MTT league, with it broken into quarters, so everyone has 4 goes a year to qualify and different people get to play for Sky. Julian should play all the time + the most successful player from the previous quarter should get a pass as well. If management want picks then fair enough.
    Forget cash and stt players. When you play live poker at an SPT or anywhere else then I believe you want MTT players playing. I'd stump up £100 for an MTT but I wouldn't play cash for the same amount as they are very different games.
    In order to get everyone involved you could run this as a series of lower stakes MTT's £2, £3, £5, so that everyone has chance to get there. This would also increase the traffic in the MTT's as this would give more balance to the B/H dominated site that we have at the moment.
    I also agree with the smaller buy-in tournies as once again the cake will go further, for those lucky enough to get there it's the taking part that counts, if u cash then that's a bonus. I don't think it matters to most recreational players if it's £250 or £1000 buy-in, if they are like me they just want to play.

Adrian
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation... : You deffo need to come to an SPT and meet MacaPaca when his drunk then ;)
    Posted by Sammydrid
    Come on, we don't want Maca to send Smitty busto
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation... : Come on, we don't want Maca to send Smitty busto
    Posted by Lambert180
    +1 ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Make it so!
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Patrick Stewart for a place,he is a captain :):):)make it so :):):)
  • edited August 2013
    FWIW though on the topic above... If I had to stake a player to play a live tourney with a great structure and I had the option of a player with excellent cash results or a player with excellent MTT results, I'd be backing the cash player without a shadow of a doubt.

• edited August 2013
    And A Captain of a star ship, what more do you want :):):)
  • edited August 2013
    and do not forget they did play poker on his star ship :):):) but blooming data always won,
  • edited August 2013
    FWIW though on the topic above... If I had to stake a player to play a live tourney with a great structure and I had the option of a player with excellent cash results or a player with excellent MTT results, I'd be backing the cash player without a shadow of a doubt.
    Posted by Lambert180
    i'll lay that bet
  • edited August 2013
    Posted by Lambert180
    you been drinking lambo?
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker - The Next Generation... : you been drinking lambo?
    Posted by MattBates
    Haha +1
  • edited August 2013
    lambert u rather have a cash player then a mtt player to win a MTT 

funniest comment ive heard 
  • edited August 2013
    Lambert knows that of which he speaks. ;)

I'd take on ANY of you MTT guys on, OI OI!

I know you lot wet yourselves in terror whenever you get above a 20bb stack, haha
  • edited August 2013
    Obv not  if it's a sick MTT player with a long track record of crushing MTTs.

I was talking more about the kinda scenario like 'hey I've played 300 MTTs and won quite a few so that means I must be amazing at MTTs'.

What I mean is that the variance in MTTs is so ridic high that if I had a relatively small MTT sample to look at (which most people have) then I'd trust a sample of good cash results far more. Even more so if the player is going into a very deep, well structured event where they will probably be in their element for a pretty long time (stack size wise)

I.E. If you play 100 MTTs and you're in profit... purely from them stats it's hard to really know anything about them.
           If you play 100 hours multi-tabling cash and you're in profit... you're probably at least a winning player. (the same can't be said about someone who plays 100 MTTs and as in profit)

Anyway, just my opinion of course
  • edited August 2013
    i dnt do licking azz but i rate matt bates as a good mtt player n id have him against any cash player in a mtt last longer 

• edited August 2013
    WP on reading what I said lol.

I know MattBates has crushed on here and pokerstars for a very long time, so doesn't apply to my arguement.

My point was.... someone winning 1 qualifier MTT or even saying 'let's see who has the best results over 100 MTTs played during August' is not necessarily going to result in the winner being a great MTT player.

Just for the purpose of an example I'll use his name cos you mentioned it... it's not that unlikely that over the course of 100 MTTs Matt Bates could make a loss, does that mean he's rubbish and you thus wouldn't want to stake him? (No but that's only cos you know him and know his long term results)

Likewise, a rubbish player could run really well in just 2-3 games and make a decent profit over 100 games, does that mean he's great and you'd want to invest in his action?

So if someone says 'look at how great my results are after 300 MTTs, wanna start staking me?'. I'd be pretty meh. Imo a player who has crushed cash for a similar period of time is much less likely to be influenced by positive variance*

*It obv still could be positive variance and some people run like god for insane periods of time, but generally speaking.
  • edited August 2013
    I'd stake the winning MTT player every time!
  • edited August 2013
    I don`t think you can just totally forget cash or stts players what because they don`t play as many mtts as most of the top mtt players on site.They are a lot of good cash and stt players that I reckon if played more mtts could be just as good as most the top mtt players imo but they obviously do really well at their chosen format.

but as I have posted before in previous thread about promos/TSP they should be 3 leagues for each format mtts/stts/cash and then they should be spilt into 2 or 3 tiers for different levels so regardless if you are a micro player or high stakes everyone gets a fair chance.

Then the top 10 finishers from each tier and format could play in a mtt and top 6 get a tsp place obviously they can be tweaks to this idea but it`s a start.(similar to the old league system years ago)
  • edited August 2013
    Would take all bets on a last longer in the UKOPS.

Vs Batesy, MrD, or any MTT grinder.

There for the taking Dr.IDCU and Professor Sly! ;)

EDIT: just realised how self-serving these posts sound. Not trying to attention wh ore guys, I pwomise. Just a stone-cold-degen :(
  • edited August 2013
    I don't wanna get into this whole debate abuot cash player v MTT players on this thread. If people do wanna continue it, I don't mind taking part but someone can create a new thread just to avoid this TSP thread being derailed.

So my final food for thought in this thread will be this....

Can you think of a single cash player that crushes cash but doesn't do very well in MTTs? (I can't)
    Can you think of a single MTT player that crushes MTTs but can't do the same at cash? (I can name ALOT)

I'm not just referring to Sky in the above questions, have a think through every famous pro.
  • edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
    tom dwan :p 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yeah you've got me there!

Sucks so much to only have 2.2million worth of cashes. Obv that's not even considering his online results.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=50670