You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hi-Lo Low cost fun tonight.......

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat

A lot of Community regulars asked if we could have some Omaha Hi-Lo fun.

I'm starting PTP ("high only") Omaha cash tomorrow night, so tonight, I thought I'd do a sort of unofficial PTP just for Hi-Lo Omaha.

As I'm "not very good" (= rubbish) at playing several Tables at once AND replying to questions in the Chat Box, TommyD has agreed to help out tonight. What a top bloke he is. 

So, I'll be onsite this evening, just playing Hi-Lo DYM's, &, possibly, some Hi-Lo Cash. It will ALL be at low levels, the minimum buy-ins possible, as the whole idea is for PLO8 newbies to get a feel for the game at low cost. For the DYM's, SNG's & cash, if we play any, TommyD & I will avoid each other, & try not to be in the same ones.

I also sent a note up to the Suits & asked them if they could schedule a few LOW COST Hi-Lo Tourneys for tonight, & they have agreed. As soon as they appear in the Lobby, I'll let you know.

Should be fun, & I hope a few of you join in, & we have a bit of cheap fun.  

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Should be good. Enjoyed playing the DYM with you last night, even if every time I went with a hand you had a virtually identical holding and we split (both sides if applicable)
  • edited May 2013

If you have ANY questions about PLO8 ("Omaha Hi-Lo") please post them on this thread.

You'll get plenty of good advice from those that are skilled at the game, failing which, Tommy or myself will reply.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Hi-Lo Low cost fun tonight.......:
    Should be good. Enjoyed playing the DYM with you last night, even if every time I went with a hand you had a virtually identical holding and we split (both sides if applicable)
    Posted by FCHD

Was great fun, I really enjoyed it. I played one Tourney & 4 or 5 DYM's yesterday, & have not had so much fun for ages.

See you tonight. Please keep off my table, you are too good.
  • edited May 2013

A few quick tips, as & when I think of them. I hope others will Post their advice, too.

I noticed some players yesterday played almost EVERY hand. 

In the short-term, this sometimes pays off, when the cards run kindly, but in the long term, you will eventually lose all your money if you play too many hands. BE SELECTIVE with your starting hand criteria.

Despite the rather odd current fashion of dissing nits, playing bad hands will always get you in trouble eventually, & there is no shame at all at sitting there quietly & waiting for the corrrect spots. 

All imo, of course.  

• edited May 2013

"Low only" hands.

This is quite hard to explain, but.......

We gets a LOT of nice "low" starting hands, but except when we bink really hard, we can ONLY ever win half (or third, or quarter, even one sixth) of the pot with Low hands.

There ARE good spots to call down with nut lows, if it is 4 way & the other three are on on High hands, for example, we make a nice profit when these coups come off, but this is very rare.

Try to imagine playing heads up Hi-Lo. If we went in with "low only" hands (A-2 etc) every hand, we would get HALF back quite a lot of the time - but eventually, we'd lose the lot. This is pure, 100%, logic - we cannot win at PLO8 by playing only Low hands, because we almost never get more than half of the pot.  
  • edited May 2013
    I have only played PLO8 once will try and join in on the low stakes cash, dyms tilt me though. 

• edited May 2013

"Scoops".

a "scoop" is when we win BOTH the Pots, the High, AND the Low.

Really, for the most part (not quite all though) we should ONLY play hands where we have a chance to scoop. These type of hands are VERY rare, so yes, we can mix it up a bit, but the Holy Grail of PLO8 is "scooping".

If you play a DYM & get ONE scoop, you'll be 99% sure to coast to the cash.

In a Tourney, if you got one or two scoops you'd almost certainly final.

In two DYM's yesterday, I had the good fortune/luck to get a scoop early on, & because "scoops" almost invariably mean both players are all-in, I doubled up each time. I pretty much "sat out until the money" after that.  

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Hi-Lo Low cost fun tonight.......:
    A lot of Community regulars asked if we could have some Omaha Hi-Lo fun. I'm starting PTP ("high only") Omaha cash tomorrow night, so tonight, I thought I'd do a sort of unofficial PTP just for Hi-Lo Omaha. As I'm "not very good" (= rubbish) at playing several Tables at once AND replying to questions in the Chat Box, TommyD has agreed to help out tonight. What a top bloke he is.  So, I'll be onsite this evening, just playing Hi-Lo DYM's, &, possibly, some Hi-Lo Cash. It will ALL be at low levels, the minimum buy-ins possible, as the whole idea is for PLO8 newbies to get a feel for the game at low cost. For the DYM's, SNG's & cash, if we play any, TommyD & I will avoid each other, & try not to be in the same ones.   I also sent a note up to the Suits & asked them if they could schedule a few LOW COST Hi-Lo Tourneys for tonight, & they have agreed. As soon as they appear in the Lobby, I'll let you know.   Should be fun, & I hope a few of you join in, & we have a bit of cheap fun.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Looks like fun. I will join in when  I get in from work. 

• edited May 2013
    "Scoops". a "scoop" is when we win BOTH the Pots, the High, AND the Low. Really, for the most part (not quite all though) we should ONLY play hands where we have a chance to scoop. These type of hands are VERY rare, so yes, we can mix it up a bit, but the Holy Grail of PLO8 is "scooping". If you play a DYM & get ONE scoop, you'll be 99% sure to coast to the cash.   In a Tourney, if you got one or two scoops you'd almost certainly final.   In two DYM's yesterday, I had the good fortune/luck to get a scoop early on, & because "scoops" almost invariably mean both players are all-in, I doubled up each time. I pretty much "sat out until the money" after that.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    When you say these scoop hands you mean a hand where we win a huge pot because we wiun both pots when out opponent also has a hand strong enough to win both pots enough of the time to get all their chips in? 

So a hand like AQdd23ss on a 452xx 3 diamond board? v KJddA6hh
  • edited May 2013

For Don.

a "scoop" is when we do not "split" the Pot.

They occur most frequently when one player is going for the high, & the opponent is either DRAWING to the Low & misses, or his low gets counterfeited & so he misses.

Players almost always over-rate their Low possibilities.

Say, for example.......

Low man has A-2-High-High, with 4-7-High-High on the board already & High Man pots it, to drive him out, but he calls for the Low because he has so many cards to hit. And the turn or river comes.........an Ace or deuce. His Low is now as dead as Zed. (You need TWO qualifying low cards to work with THREE Community Cards).

And he was only calling to split the pot at best!  

• edited May 2013
    Ah good explination there tikay. thanks. 
  • edited May 2013

The Hi-Lo Tourneys tonight have been added to the Lobby.

Unfortunately, they are rather more expensive than I had anticipated, being......

1 @ £3.30 (10.25pm)

3 @ £5.50 (19.25, 20.25 & 21.25, with the middle one having a £100 Guarantee)

2 @ £11 (19.55 & 21.55).

There are also three nice small ones this afternoon, being.....

2 @ £1.10 (14.55 & 16.55)

1 @ £3.30, (16.25)
  • edited May 2013

So, slight change of plan.

I will definitely play the three this afternoon, & hopefully some of you will be able to join in.

I will also play the £3.30 & £5.50 ones this evening.

I will try & fit in £2.25 Omaha Hilo's throughout the time I am on Site, when I don't have too many other Tables open.

I'm not sure I'll be able to play the two x £11 Hi Lo Tourneys this evening, but we'll see.

• edited May 2013

Roll up, roll up, loads-a-value in the 2.55 which is only £1.10

tikay12000
  • edited May 2013

...and in the £3.30 @ 16.25?

tikay12000
  • edited May 2013

...and the £1.10 jobbie @ 16.55?

tikay12000
  • edited May 2013

During the afternoon, I'll also play as many £2.25 Omaha High Low DYM's as possible.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi TK,

POL8 question

I can be patient, but when i get a hand such as 2nd nut flush draw with 2nd low I want to play it hard (ie pot it all the way). it works well at times, but then i meet the nut flush and my low draw gets counterfeighted. am i right to want to get it all in as quick as i can, or should i wait for the river so i can slow down if needed?
  • edited May 2013
    Hi TK, POL8 question I can be patient, but when i get a hand such as 2nd nut flush draw with 2nd low I want to play it hard (ie pot it all the way). it works well at times, but then i meet the nut flush and my low draw gets counterfeighted. am i right to want to get it all in as quick as i can, or should i wait for the river so i can slow down if needed?
    Posted by GELDY
    It sort of depends how many opponents you have.

IF you can get it Heads-Up, you'd be pretty unlucky if the villain turned up with BOTH the nut hands!

So in that case, yes, I'd play that pretty strongly.
  • edited May 2013
    Good stuff Tikay. Pity the cheap mtt's didn't work out for this evening but never mind. Hopefully see you on a table this afternoon.
  • edited May 2013

Sounds like Fun have probally only played Omaha a few times not quite got me head around it esp.when trying to work out what a good starting hand is, anyway have reg. for the 14-55 tourney gl all
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Guys

Not sure where and when everyone can play and being distracted by a dog chewing my ankles, I have registered for every PLO8 MTT in the lobby at present.  If people want to play a STT at any time the best place to suggest it is probably on the table.

GL all, ask anything at the tables you want, not question too dumb enough to not give a dumber answer to ;)
  • edited May 2013
    I'm playing from a £20 bankroll at the moment (Don't ask), so I probably should avoid lumping a big chunk of it into a game I've never played. I'll be sticking to the cheaper buy-ins this afternoon.

PLO8, then... That's the one where you take off your clothes when you lose, isn't it? Looking forward to it. lol
  • edited May 2013
    Hell - why not!
    In for a penny in for a pound :-)
    First time for everything
  • edited May 2013

Played the £1 omaha game was really good, had borinloner, thedon and pingu at the table, really good fun!

But i didn't last 2 long lol i didn't even know the rules, Like when I have a flush but dont have a flush haha

This was a hand against pingu

VespaPX Small blind  10.00 10.00 4200.00
    EvilPingu Big blind  20.00 30.00 1990.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

LARSON7 Raise  40.00 70.00 1830.00
    BorinLoner Fold     
    The_Don90 Fold     
    VespaPX Fold     
    EvilPingu Call  20.00 90.00 1970.00
    Flop

• Q

EvilPingu Check     
    LARSON7 Bet  45.00 135.00 1785.00
    EvilPingu Raise  200.00 335.00 1770.00
    LARSON7 Call  155.00 490.00 1630.00
    Turn

EvilPingu Bet  490.00 980.00 1280.00
    LARSON7 Call  490.00 1470.00 1140.00
    River

EvilPingu All-in  1280.00 2750.00 0.00
    LARSON7 Fold     
    EvilPingu Muck
    I know i'm ahead on the flop, but after the turn, i was thinking i'll still hit my full house, but forgot only 2 of my cards from the starting 4 counted.

And if you have 4 spades on the board, and you have the ace of spades in ur hand it's no good:(

Really enjoyed it.

• edited May 2013

That was fun came 15th, think i've got my head around starting hands so am gonna have another go in the 16-55 gl all
  • edited May 2013
    Ohhhhh and Borin was limpin in lol
  • edited May 2013
    Borin is pwning me, still in tho. UL to DTW who i knocked out, knew i was behind but cudnt fold i dnt think. 

fun game type. 
  • edited May 2013
    Borin is pwning me, still in tho. UL to DTW who i knocked out, knew i was behind but cudnt fold i dnt think.  fun game type. 
    Posted by The_Don90

No worries Don was short so i went for it wp m8
  • edited May 2013
    In spite of being clueless about what was happening, I enjoyed that. Might have another crack in the 16.55.