You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I agree its a combination of both but just pointing out he was wrong.
  • edited May 2013
    if Sky do not encourage people to deposit and play then the cash tree stops
    Cash goes up the tree, so your win rate is where u should be making the money
    Rake should be given the most to net deposters so they keep coming back because they getting something back rarther than just being eaten
    Rake races are for rakeback grinders

no offence DTM but you come across like you just wanna eat the fish and get all the rakeback

seems like people are very content on milking the cash cow untill it run dry then move onto another one

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action:
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action : I'm confused by this reply, it sounds like you're disagreeing with Browndog and yet you're both advocating that rewards should go to, as you put it, fish. The bigger players will always get the biggest financial reward because they pay more rake, but it stands to reason that plenty of rewards should be given to the serial depositors. All the regs that play for a living, or a regular income on the side of a job withdraw X amount per month. Sky need, at the absolute minimum, enough people to deposit at least this amount each month to keep on an even keel, otherwise the total amount in circulation reduces and eventually the games die.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Im confused. i re-read my post and brownndogs now i dont knw whats being discussed myself sigh 
  • edited May 2013
    Still scratching my head, searching for where I was proven wrong. 

Any reward sctructre should be weighted heavily towards those who create extra liquidity i.e net depositers. 

• edited May 2013
    if Sky do not encourage people to deposit and play then the cash tree stops Cash goes up the tree, so your win rate is where u should be making the money Rake should be given the most to net deposters so they keep coming back because they getting something back rarther than just being eaten Rake races are for rakeback grinders no offence DTM but you come across like you just wanna eat the fish and get all the rakeback seems like people are very content on milking the cash cow untill it run dry then move onto another one
    Posted by rancid
    No Id rather lose and not have any rakeback.
  • edited May 2013
    Still scratching my head, searching for where I was proven wrong.  Any reward sctructre should be weighted heavily towards those who create extra liquidity i.e net depositers. 
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Say you deposit £10 and lose it the first hand u play.  You have paid no rake for this month.  I don't deposit but use my bankroll to play and earn my usual 30k points.  That means I have paid over £3,000 to sky.

Who has contributed more?
  • edited May 2013
    You've paid Sky more money yes, but you've contributed zero to the longevity of the site. I'm not having a go at you, obviously there's nothing wrong with winning money and not needing to deposit, but the people who keep the games going are the ones that deposit.
  • edited May 2013
    You've paid Sky more money yes, but you've contributed zero to the longevity of the site. I'm not having a go at you, obviously there's nothing wrong with winning money and not needing to deposit, but the people who keep the games going are the ones that deposit.
    Posted by Lambert180[/QU

I think Ive already said its a combination of both.  But why should people who deposit and lose get rewarded over people who put in 300 hours a month playing at sky?
  • edited May 2013
    They've already been rewarded through the new points system.
  • edited May 2013
    Isn't paying £3000 in rake contributing to the longevity of the site? Thats 3k in revenue that contributes towards promotions/rewards etc that encourage new people to play and sign up? Correct me if i'm wrong i don't really know how it all works but just assume that rake obtained from tables goes towards more than just rakeback. And by paying more rake than others they are effectively contributing more? 
  • edited May 2013
    You know alot more than alot of folk nick.
  • edited May 2013
    Well I don't know entirely how it works myself but I'd imagine, taking DTM as an example....

He plays for the month and gives Sky £3000 in rake.

They give him £1000 back (or whatever) at the end of the month.

The other £2000 is Sky's which obviously go towards a million and one things, some of it goes in their pocket because ultimately that's what they're here for (profit), some goes towards the paying of staff/running of the site, some of it goes towards promotions like you say.

Sites definitely need their grinders like DTM, but for every one of DTM they need 50 (just picked a rough number) recreational players.Like I think he DTM mentioned a while ago he wins roughly 60 BIs per month @ 20NL (obv give or take). Assuming he withdraws this £1200 every month. There needs to be 60 people who are gonna deposit £20 every single month just to keep 'out of the red', and that's just 1 player.
  • edited May 2013
    Someone who withdraws x amount per month should not be considered as a loss to the site i'd say. Consider skypoker to be some form of money transaction site similar to paypal. People deposit and 'send' money from one person to another and sky/paypal take a fee for each transaction, just because multiple people send one user a large amount of transactions does not stop sky from recieving a fee from each individual payment. I know its a strange way to consider this but i think it can be applied here?
  • edited May 2013
    Well it is a loss to the Sky Poker economy.

Imagine there is currently £1 million in circulation (currently in people's accounts) spread out between all types of players, and imagine no1 ever deposits.

Good players beat bad players and all the good players at the end of the month withdraw a combined amount of £100k to pay their bills, live, go out etc.

There's now only £900k in the Sky Poker economy. Obviously these are all just imaginery figures, but how long could the site survive without people depositing?

The net withdrawals has to be less than the net deposits (excluding the fact Sky are obviously pumping money back into the economy each month by giving rakeback which people then usually play with)
  • edited May 2013
    Well it is a loss to the Sky Poker economy. Imagine there is currently £1 million in circulation (currently in people's accounts) spread out between all types of players, and imagine no1 ever deposits. Good players beat bad players and all the good players at the end of the month withdraw a combined amount of £100k to pay their bills, live, go out etc. There's now only £900k in the Sky Poker economy. Obviously these are all just imaginery figures, but how long could the site survive without people depositing? The net withdrawals has to be less than the net deposits (excluding the fact Sky are obviously pumping money back into the economy each month by giving rakeback which people then usually play with)
    Posted by Lambert180

Can someone explain this to me please as I really dont understand it.
    Surely all this money in circulation is nothing to do with sky as it's players money.
    I thought sky makes its money from rake paid at the tables or am I missing something?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action : Can someone explain this to me please as I really dont understand it. Surely all this money in circulation is nothing to do with sky as it's players money. I thought sky makes its money from rake paid at the tables or am I missing something?
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    Basically,  if bad/recreational players did not deposit.   No money would ever be deposited.   The bad/rec players would go broke.
    The winning regs would then not be able to take money off the bad players (coz they have gone broke and will not deposit) . The worse regs would then have no-one to make money from.  So they would withdraw money / not play any games. The v good regs would then not be able to make money from the worse regs because they have left.   Eventually no-one can make money from anyone,  everyone withdraws there bankrolls.  No games run.  Sky make zero money.

Game over

Edit.   Not worded great, but it#s late.  Hopefully you get the picture.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, Sky's profit comes purely from rake. To them it's irrelevant who wins because they take X amount from every tournament buy-in and X amount from every cash pot regardless of the outcome.

The matter in question here is that players who play for a living (for example) will never deposit any money on the site because they don't need to. If they keep winning, withdraw, winning, withdraw, winning, withdraw and so on, where does that money come from?

It's like a food chain, people deposit and lose money to better players, these better players lose it to better players and so on. Sometimes in the middle there are those who choose to carry on just playing against weaker opponents (good idea) and withdrawing, but ultimately there's a constant cycle of people depositing and it working it's way throughout the levels. If people don't deposit, all the money would get withdrawn by good players and there'd eventually be none left. Obv that's an extreme example and is probably never gonna happen.

EDIT: 1267 worded it much better than me
  • edited May 2013

Yeah you make a good point and i re-read some posts and got to a stage where i forgot what point i was even trying to establish. But basically it was along the lines that reg's such as DTM aren't bad for the longevity of the site i don't think. 

I have no idea in the slighest but i can't imagine net deposits are ever less than net withdrawals? For every reg at nl20 it does look, at a quick glance, that there are plenty of recreational players elsewhere who will deposit given the 'right' encouragement. For what it's worth i think the new reward system is good in that it does encourage new recreational players. I also think the regs who suffer a small loss from this can easily recoup some of this/(already have done) in promotions such as the big deal. Not to mention the other added promotions that do occur/have been hinted at in the future. As soon as this promotion was announced it seemed pretty clear to me who it would appeal to and why these type of players would be on the recieving end this promotion after the change in c4p. 

To be honest i think that it would be a bit premature to swith sites because of this change. Although i'm never going to be sure on exact figures, i think the potential for all rakeback winnings here (when you consider every applicable promotion) will have very small if any difference to opposing sites. 

Edit: Slight derail//I don't work for sky.. 

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action : Basically,  if bad/recreational players did not deposit.   No money would ever be deposited.   The bad/rec players would go broke. The winning regs would then not be able to take money off the bad players (coz they have gone broke and will not deposit) . The worse regs would then have no-one to make money from.  So they would withdraw money / not play any games. The v good regs would then not be able to make money from the worse regs because they have left.   Eventually no-one can make money from anyone,  everyone withdraws there bankrolls.  No games run.  Sky make zero money. Game over Edit.   Not worded great, but it#s late.  Hopefully you get the picture.
    Posted by 1267
    ^^
    Nailed it.

Basically sky aren't making money frm the depoistors directly. They make more money when cash games/ tournaments and sit and gos are running more frequently (because of the rake). And these people who deposit regular help keep the economy of the site going, keeping the regs (who pay the most rake) happy. When the regular depositors/ rec players stop playing and are moving onto other sites and its reg on reg for a vast majority of the time this is when sky are going to get worried.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action : Basically,  if bad/recreational players did not deposit.   No money would ever be deposited.   The bad/rec players would go broke. The winning regs would then not be able to take money off the bad players (coz they have gone broke and will not deposit) . The worse regs would then have no-one to make money from.  So they would withdraw money / not play any games. The v good regs would then not be able to make money from the worse regs because they have left.   Eventually no-one can make money from anyone,  everyone withdraws there bankrolls.  No games run.  Sky make zero money. Game over Edit.   Not worded great, but it#s late.  Hopefully you get the picture.
    Posted by 1267
    Thanks for the explanation,I can see where you are coming from.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action : Do you think your account balance is held in a little jar with "Lamberts money" written on it?
    Posted by calcalfold
    Where else would it be?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action : Do you keep your money in a pot by your bed? Use your noggins
    Posted by calcalfold
    Whats with the attitude calcalfold?

I should imagine players money is kept in an account.
    Whats your point?
  • edited May 2013
    There used to be five popular venues to play live poker in my neighbourhood.
    It was great in the beginning the social side was fun to be part of!

Then the same faces started to win every event, resulting in recreational players voting with their feet.
    Now there is only one venue that promotes regular poker events.

If you have an edge and can make a living out of poker, good for you!
    But don't expect others less gifted to contribute without reward!

There will always be a finite number of enthusiasts who want to play, but if you expect to take everything out of the pot, what is the incentive for your marks to play?

Sky are evolving and trying to maintain the balance of players on the site.  Previous posts have poignantly explained. If you want everything, you'll end up with nothing!

Every day new sites open up poaching players from established sites with bigger and better promotions.
    At the end of the day, it's a personal choice.
    I enjoy playing on Sky because there are a lot of players I respect, and there is a platform to discuss, learn and develop.

Some of the previous posts exhibit a greed that inclines me to deposit less rather than more to the site and that I'm sure does more harm than good.
    I think Sky do a great job juggling balls in the air. Long may they continue!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What's happened to daytime nl30/40 action :
    You've paid Sky more money yes, but you've contributed zero to the longevity of the site. I'm not having a go at you, obviously there's nothing wrong with winning money and not needing to deposit, but the people who keep the games going are the ones that deposit. Posted by Lambert180[/QU I think Ive already said its a combination of both.  But why should people who deposit and lose get rewarded over people who put in 300 hours a month playing at sky?
    Posted by Donttelmum

Can you teach me how to play in my sleep please?

Why dont you just increase stakes and reduce playing time if you make so much in rake/buy ins? How do you have time to comment in the forum!?

And then you can eat and wash aswell. Im not being rude btw hope you dont take this offensivley 
  • edited May 2013
    DTM not using u as an example just saying that while yes you should be rewarded for your loyalty.
    But people who deposit on a regular basis should be encourgaed to do so with better rakeback.

If we do not offer these people a big enough carrot then they will not play.

I don't mind giving up some of my rakeback to increase my win rate.
    If people stop deposting then it just becomes reg v reg and your win rate drops.

I don't think a big time grinder should be given a greater slice of the cake.
    Grinders should be encouraged with very good rake races.

• edited May 2013
    Adding to this post, i agree with the fact we need rec players to prop up the poker site, but at the same time sky a few years ago was healthy in way of numbers playing on this site, when they had the league tsp playoffs and less promotions.Now the numbers are not there on the site, playing last night there was just over 2000 logged in compared to over 4000 nearly touching 5k just a year ago, and i dont believe the weather or the time of the year has anything to do with this( im sure other sites will back this up)imo sky have messed around to much with c4p and other things, and is there a cause for saying to many promotions i dont know, it seems they run promotions, tables are loaded then once they finish back to low numbers.Sky need to go back in time and look at when this site was booming in numbers and bring back the things that attracted players to play on this site and at the same time attract new players, this is just my opionin feel free to mock or praise
  • edited May 2013
    this is just my opionin feel free to mock or praise
    Posted by CHILLIE
    not wishing to do either! just pointing out the need to determine which is the cause & which is the effect. is the move to regular promotions causing the decline - or is a decline causing the need to provide more regular promotions (which then have to be financed). I suspect the latter, but tis only a guess.
  • edited May 2013

Bring back the League,  just that.
  • edited May 2013
    skypoker's main problem is attracting new players ,
    new money .

3 pointers to improve this :

1. stop asking peeps outside of the uk for copies of their passports to open an account with them ,
    this has happened to 4 of my mates and they laughed and just signed upto other poker sites and instantly played poker.

2.  stream line  skys  tv like other sites and use this money to set up a bonus model like full tilt for low depositors and repeat depositors . This system allows one to track ones bonus play easily.

3. All poker games  i.e £10 dym becomes $10 games over night .
    This will entice more 1st and repeat depositors to this site because dollars is the norm in global internet poker play .
    The above will allow peeps get more games in for their deposits .

Despite what poker suits may say ,this site at best has 4k players  average  playing online  at one time .
    This is ongoing i believe for a number of years  now .

If this site continues to cast it net only in uk base and dont relax it rules outside its uk base ,
    the waters will dry up of little fish .
    Go global like sky  news  does .
  • edited May 2013
    skypoker's main problem is attracting new players , new money .  3 pointers to improve this : 1 . stop asking peeps outside of the uk for copies of their passports to open an account with them , this has happened to 4 of my mates and they laughed and just signed upto other poker sites and instantly played poker. 2 .  stream line  skys  tv like other sites and use this money to set up a bonus model like full tilt for low depositors and repeat depositors . This system allows one to track ones bonus play easily. 3 .  All  poker games  i.e £10 dym becomes $10 games over night . This will entice more 1st and repeat depositors to this site because dollars is the norm in global internet poker play . The above will allow peeps get more games in for their deposits . Despite what poker suits may say ,this site at best has 4k players  average  playing online  at one time . This is ongoing i believe for a number of years  now . If this site continues to cast it net only in uk base and dont relax it rules outside its uk base , the waters will dry up of little fish . Go global like sky  news  does .
    Posted by susansue
    Sky is a poker site based mostly for the UK market. 

I not only had to give my passport details, but also every bank detail possible and had to wait on postal delivary for a code to register on a French site, just a passport is getting off light. 

The channel is a great tool - infact i know myself and a few others signed up purely based on the channel. 

Dollars??? really the biggest selling point for most of skys client base is the fact its in £'s. Im not sure how many nations out with the UK and Ireland play on sky, but surely even those nations would benifit more from Euros than dollars. 

I agree there are issues with attracting new players but fixing the software which many have said should help fix that. The software is a much bigger issue than any you have mentioned