You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

tv hand told by TK to post it for debate.

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I check flop for deception with opponent only having £4 behind I've got 2 streets to get his stack.
TK said I should bet out on flop.
my brother said I played it fine and said,had I bet flop he would probably have folded his KJ
had he had a full stack I would have bet out around 1/2 to 3/4 pot.
I got money in good from my opponents turn bet.
yes I had to dodge some bullits.
(I actually thought i'd lost as all I could see was a club arrive.)

so my question...
                        had I bet flop would opponent have called?
CardsAmountPotBalance
supercrazy Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £19.70
xBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £4.95
  Your hole cards

devonfish5 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £19.65
STR1BS Fold     
IDONKCALLU Fold     
supercrazy Fold     
xRaise  £0.80 £1.25 £4.15
devonfish5 Call  £0.60 £1.85 £19.05
Flop

• A

xCheck     
devonfish5 Check     
Turn

xCheck     
devonfish5 Bet  £1.85 £3.70 £17.20
xAll-in  £4.15 £7.85 £0.00
devonfish5 Call  £2.30 £10.15 £14.90
xShow
  • K
  • J

devonfish5 Show

River

• A

devonfish5 Win Full House, 9s and Aces £9.38  £24.28

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In all honesty, thi sis a great flop for us, we've been 3bet pre the board has come A high and we've made our set.  We have to expect the villain to c-bet here at least 90% of the time so I think your check on the flop is fine.

I think I would play it exactly the same as you.
  • edited May 2013
    You should have bet the flop. If they c-bet, great, but we're IP and that's the beauty of being IP, we get to see what they do first and we've seen they haven't bet it.

When they're really short and you know it'll be easy to get them all in by the river, then I'd still bet but will sometimes bet a little smaller than normal, obv depending on my hand strength and board texture.

Whether the opponent calls here is kinda irrelevant. Easy to see he has KJ so probably wouldn't here, but what if he has any Ax, he's never folding. At the time, we don't know what he has. There are situations where you might miss out, like say he's flopped a flush draw (and the turn doesn't come a club), he may be willing to get it all in on the flop with 2 cards to come, when he missed the turn, he might be less happy to do it.

Think about the situation, not about this particular hand.
  • edited May 2013

This hand probably not, don't mind slow playing it to let our opponent improve as happened.

But as a general rule, probably better to bet to build the pot. I would have probably bet this, hoping opponent had ace, and given his stack he's not folding.

Nice hand

• edited May 2013
    oooops.... sorry, for some reason I thought we were oop..... ignore my post..... bet flop!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: tv hand told by TK to post it for debate.:
    In all honesty, thi sis a great flop for us, we've been 3bet pre the board has come A high and we've made our set.  We have to expect the villain to c-bet here at least 90% of the time so I think your check on the flop is fine. I think I would play it exactly the same as you.
    Posted by Slykllist
    ty mate
    :)
  • edited May 2013
    You should have bet the flop. If they c-bet, great, but we're IP and that's the beauty of being IP, we get to see what they do first and we've seen they haven't bet it. When they're really short and you know it'll be easy to get them all in by the river, then I'd still bet but will sometimes bet a little smaller than normal, obv depending on my hand strength and board texture.  we don't know what he has. There are situations where you might miss out, like say he's fWhether the opponent calls here is kinda irrelevant. Easy to see he has KJ so probably wouldn't here, but what if he has any Ax, he's never folding. At the time,lopped a flush draw (and the turn doesn't come a club), he may be willing to get it all in on the flop with 2 cards to come, when he missed the turn, he might be less happy to do it. Think about the situation, not about this particular hand.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I kinda get what you are saying Paul,i think.
    well I think whether he calls or not is relevant here,as I want his £4.00
    had I bet and he folded his KJ then that surely makes the bet wrong,in this instance?

I get what you are saying though,that it would be better to bet in this spot most if not all of the time in the future.
    ty
    dev

• edited May 2013
    oooops.... sorry, for some reason I thought we were oop..... ignore my post..... bet flop!
    Posted by Slykllist
    in that case better ignore mine too.  lol
  • edited May 2013
    This hand probably not, don't mind slow playing it to let our opponent improve as happened. But as a general rule, probably better to bet to build the pot. I would have probably bet this, hoping opponent had ace, and given his stack he's not folding. Nice hand
    Posted by LARSON7
    ty m8,

that's what this is all about...

this hand.

i'm obviously seeing it different to most of you,which is fine,i'm learning.
    yes I could have bet here and yes he could have called,but more than likely would have folded.
    if he was holding an Ace,wouldn't he have bet out himself?
    or would he checking for deception?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: tv hand told by TK to post it for debate. : I kinda get what you are saying Paul,i think. well I think whether he calls or not is relevant here,as I want his £4.00 had I bet and he folded his KJ then that surely makes the bet wrong,in this instance? I get what you are saying though,that it would be better to bet in this spot most if not all of the time in the future. ty :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Cash poker (and indeed any poker) is all about the long term, and making correct decisions. You have to try to think about what range of hands he can have, and what is the best way to play against that range.

Like I say, what if he had QJcc and decided to C/C to play his FD passively. If he hits, you didn't charge him to draw, if he doesn't hit, you've missed a chance to get value, either way is bad.

Also, you've checked for deception, but then went full pot on the turn which just looks SO strong so kind of blows your deception. I'd never recommend betting this small but you could have got £1.80 in by the turn by just betting like 60p and £1.20 which looks alot less scary than, check then full pot.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: tv hand told by TK to post it for debate. : Cash poker (and indeed any poker) is all about the long term, and making correct decisions. You have to try to think about what range of hands he can have, and what is the best way to play against that range. Like I say, what if he had QJcc and decided to C/C to play his FD passively. If he hits, you didn't charge him to draw, if he doesn't hit, you've missed a chance to get value, either way is bad. Also, you've checked for deception, but then went full pot on the turn which just looks SO strong so kind of blows your deception. I'd never recommend betting this small but you could have got £1.80 in by the turn by just betting like 60p and £1.20 which looks alot less scary than, check then full pot.
    Posted by Lambert180
    i'm still trying to get to grips with putting players on hand ranges Paul,and yes the pot bet does I guess look strong,looking at it again.but I did feel I would get the call after my initial check.better than that my opponent went all-in much to my pleasure.
    betting 60p and then £1.20 would be an option,(not your choice obviously,i will add)and I might have done something like that even just a day or so ago,but that in itself goes against what I am now doing as told,to bet 1/2 pot or more at all times,so that was not an option.

looking at it again yes he could have just as easily been holding 2x club cards and made his flush on the turn,for free,so I see what you are saying about betting out on flop and charging him for that turn card.
    i'm just not seeing the 'whole picture' atm,i guess.

if what i'm being told by TK yourself and others that betting out the flop is the correct play then I accept that,and will learn from how I've played it this time.and do better next time.

dev
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: tv hand told by TK to post it for debate. : Cash poker (and indeed any poker) is all about the long term, and making correct decisions. You have to try to think about what range of hands he can have, and what is the best way to play against that range. Like I say, what if he had QJcc and decided to C/C to play his FD passively. If he hits, you didn't charge him to draw, if he doesn't hit, you've missed a chance to get value, either way is bad. Also, you've checked for deception, but then went full pot on the turn which just looks SO strong so kind of blows your deception. I'd never recommend betting this small but you could have got £1.80 in by the turn by just betting like 60p and £1.20 which looks alot less scary than, check then full pot.
    Posted by Lambert180

I agree mainly, long term etc
    Surely though not every situation is the same?
    The correct decisions could be different depending on opponent
    There may well be times when we have  a hand and we could play it totally differently against certain types of players.

Eg, bet, bet, bet against a station.
    Eg. Check to the maniac who is just going to bulldozer the pot if he thinks he can bully us.

• edited May 2013
    I've just watched this on Sky+ and my initial thoughts on the check-back on the flop were that it would only be good if you know that this particular opponent only checks in this spot, after 3-betting pre-flop, when he's completely missed. If you had a specific read on this guy that he can never have an Ace or a draw when he plays it this way, then checking is fine.

Otherwise betting the flop is much better. You can get value from Ax, draws and maybe an underpair or 9 that thinks you're just taking a stab at the pot after they've shown weakness. The worst thing about checking without the reads mentioned above is that a card can hit the turn to make your opponent less inclined to pay you off with a raggy Ace, 9, draw, etc. Of course he could also improve to beat you but you'd expect him to c-bet the flop with any big drawing hand.

Anyway, I think the turn bet is also a problem, as Lambert has said. The problem is that you've bet so much that your opponent should never believe he has any fold equity. If you'd bet £1.10 or so on the turn you can still shove the river for a reasonable amount but he might also believe that he can get you to fold the turn, so can come over the top with just one club or even worse. When you bet £1.85 and he can only bet £2.30 more, he knows you're not going to fold.

I realise that in this hand your opponent actually did semi-bluff anyway but he made a big mistake by doing so. We shouldn't rely on our opponents making big mistakes and should focus on getting them to make lots of little mistakes.

Last thing to say is that we must never allow ourselves to be results orientated. Yes, on this occasion our opponent had KJ and would have folded to a bet on the flop but we can't afford to think that way. Against his likely range we have to think that betting the flop is the best course of action. Sometimes people fold when we don't want them to but that doesn't necessarily mean we've done anything wrong.
  • edited May 2013
    nobody ever check folds an a high flop in a 3bet pot. bet flop and gii @ some point

• edited May 2013
    checking is fine, SPR only need to go for two streets of value

not even worried about FD in a 3 bet pot unless oppo 3 bet's sc from the blinds :()

let oppo catch up a bit, hit a two pr with a weak ace or if oppo is inducing they will bet turn

don't just check because you think oppo will not call, check because of action and you can narrow range down
    what is oppo checking range on flops in 3 bet flops as PFA

bet less on turn

• edited May 2013

Hi devon.

Glad you Posted this.

My personal view is......

The result of THIS hand, THIS time, is wholly irrelevant. Whether we may, or may not, have got more, as much, or less, or even won or lost the hand is also irrelevant.

We must try & imagine that we play this identical scenario 10,000 times.

Over a proper sample size, betting the flop will be, overall, far more beneficial.

OK, we will lose our customer sometimes, & we will lose the hand sometimes, but on balance, I am convinced this is a standard situation, & we MUST bet that flop.

Just the way I see it, of course, but I do think players over-analyse SINGLE hands, when really, what we should be doing is trying to imagine the outcome over 10,000 or more hands. 

We should have a default line for every standard situation, such as this. We then adjust that default depending on the opponent, situation, or table dynamic. If you had specifically adjusted in this case, fine.

• edited May 2013
    Hi devon. Glad you Posted this. My personal view is...... The result of THIS hand, THIS time, is wholly irrelevant. Whether we may, or may not, have got more, as much, or less, or even won or lost the hand is also irrelevant. We must try & imagine that we play this identical scenario 10,000 times.   Over a proper sample size, betting the flop will be, overall, far more beneficial. OK, we will lose our customer sometimes, & we will lose the hand sometimes, but on balance, I am convinced this is a standard situation, & we MUST bet that flop. Just the way I see it, of course, but I do think players over-analyse SINGLE hands, when really, what we should be doing is trying to imagine the outcome over 10,000 or more hands.  We should have a default line for every standard situation, such as this. We then adjust that default depending on the opponent, situation, or table dynamic. If you had specifically adjusted in this case, fine.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I haven't read all the responses to be honest, I massively agree with the bolded bit. I agree we should adjust due to opponents stack size but as a rule I think we should bet this flop
  • edited May 2013
    Hi devon. Glad you Posted this. My personal view is...... The result of THIS hand, THIS time, is wholly irrelevant. Whether we may, or may not, have got more, as much, or less, or even won or lost the hand is also irrelevant. We must try & imagine that we play this identical scenario 10,000 times.   Over a proper sample size, betting the flop will be, overall, far more beneficial. OK, we will lose our customer sometimes, & we will lose the hand sometimes, but on balance, I am convinced this is a standard situation, & we MUST bet that flop. Just the way I see it, of course, but I do think players over-analyse SINGLE hands, when really, what we should be doing is trying to imagine the outcome over 10,000 or more hands.  We should have a default line for every standard situation, such as this. We then adjust that default depending on the opponent, situation, or table dynamic. If you had specifically adjusted in this case, fine.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Would you mind actually giving your reasoning as to why? Rather than just stating we must bet

Obv we play the hand over the long term, what he had this time doesnt matter, the result doesnt matter, his range and how he reacts if we bet/check do

Pre is questionable imo

I think checking flop is best. The only hands betting is better than checking against is flushdraws imo, he shouldnt 3bet a huge amount of these pre, and he'll also bet flop with them a good bit

Checking makes  it easier to stack stuff like KK and allows his air a chance to improve. V a full stack I might bet, but against a half stack its a check imo

Turn bet smaller
  • edited May 2013
    Why calling pre? If it is to hit a set only then its a mistake. Much prefer to put him all in or just folding then calling the 3bet.

Don't know why everyone is like bet flop gogogo. If betting then it'd have to be really small to try and induce because when people check oop in 3bet pots when they had the iniative pre they are most likely c/fing or really hate the fact an A came.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: tv hand told by TK to post it for debate. : Would you mind actually giving your reasoning as to why? Rather than just stating we must bet Obv we play the hand over the long term, what he had this time doesnt matter, the result doesnt matter, his range and how he reacts if we bet/check do Pre is questionable imo I think checking flop is best. The only hands betting is better than checking against is flushdraws imo, he shouldnt 3bet a huge amount of these pre, and he'll also bet flop with them a good bit Checking makes  it easier to stack stuff like KK and allows his air a chance to improve. V a full stack I might bet, but against a half stack its a check imo Turn bet smaller
    Posted by grantorino
    Of course.

Devon plays almost all of his poker at 5p levels, sometimes 2p-4p, sometimes 10p.

I think it essential that he follows the basic fundamentals of poker at these levels.

He can do the fancy dancing stuff if & when he wants, but I can't help with that, I just try to instil good basics, in this case......

Try to take the initiative in a hand.

Be the aggressor where possible.

Got a good hand? Bet it.

Keep it simple.

Etc.

Level 2 3 & 4 stuff is way beyond me, but I genuinely believe we should be sticking to good, solid, basic fundamentals at these levels, & try to minimise FPS.

The specific hand in question is really irrelevant, of course.

I may of course be wrong, but those are my personal views.

• edited May 2013
    bet your hands just bet bet bet u want 3 streets of value 

like tikay said if they fold so be it but u wnna get max value of ya hand coz we just dnt hit a set often enough
  • edited May 2013
    Why calling pre? If it is to hit a set only then its a mistake. Much prefer to put him all in or just folding then calling the 3bet. Don't know why everyone is like bet flop gogogo. If betting then it'd have to be really small to try and induce because when people check oop in 3bet pots when they had the iniative pre they are most likely c/fing or really hate the fact an A came.
    Posted by NColley
    +1

the inconsistency here is between adjusting post-flop play to allow for the small stack, but not adjusting the pre-flop play. how many other flops are we going to like to see with our hand, even being ip. fold or shove pre, and then the post-flop question doesn't arise.

as played i can see merits in both arguments, but would probably go for a small raise to induce
  • edited May 2013
    One night on the mastercash tables and see what youve started now Dev mate :)
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, didn't even think about pre-flop tbh. I do like a ship pre given his stack size.

I am suggesting we bet small on the flop btw NColley, just think it's miles easier to stack him with 3 small bets, than to check then mash the pot button.
  • edited May 2013
    yeah tbf i just looked at stacks its a shove but what lambert said here u should be doing just think it's miles easier to stack him with 3 small bets, than to check then mash the pot button.
  • edited May 2013
    One night on the mastercash tables and see what youve started now Dev mate :)
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    lol

I know,it's great init,even got TK involved

should 'ave done it years ago.  lol

seriously,ty to everyone who's posted.
    I think this is pretty much done with now,

result; bet the flop smaller in future,every time.

see you on mastercash again,next week.(loving all this.)

(* *)
       ^
    dev

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: tv hand told by TK to post it for debate. : Of course. Devon plays almost all of his poker at 5p levels, sometimes 2p-4p, sometimes 10p. I think it essential that he follows the basic fundamentals of poker at these levels.   He can do the fancy dancing stuff if & when he wants, but I can't help with that, I just try to instil good basics, in this case...... Try to take the initiative in a hand. Be the aggressor where possible. Got a good hand? Bet it. Keep it simple. Etc. Level 2 3 & 4 stuff is way beyond me, but I genuinely believe we should be sticking to good, solid, basic fundamentals at these levels, & try to minimise FPS.   The specific hand in question is really irrelevant, of course. I may of course be wrong, but those are my personal views.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lol at this stuff is beyond you, you hustling?

I agree good basics and minimising fps, vital esp at micros.  But the question on the flop needs to be "how can I get all (or as much as possible) of his chips".  Whether that involves taking initiative and being the aggressor is a secondary concern (although in general the bit I bolded is good advice), maximising value is the key here. If you think betting does this bet. If you think checking and getting money in over two streets is more likely to achieve this check
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: tv hand told by TK to post it for debate. : Lol at this stuff is beyond you, you hustling? I agree good basics and minimising fps, vital esp at micros.  But the question on the flop needs to be "how can I get all (or as much as possible) of his chips".  Whether that involves taking initiative and being the aggressor is a secondary concern (although in general the bit I bolded is good advice), maximising value is the key here. If you think betting does this bet. If you think checking and getting money in over two streets is more likely to achieve this check
    Posted by grantorino

Anyone even considered if betting or checking is better for our range.
    As pointed out earlier across 10,000 hands. What else do you flat 3 bets with IP and if checked to - should you bet.
    Now there's an argument for betting, but with no history or dynamic this kinda becomes redundant.
    It's readless at micros, how do we maximise our value should be our main concern against players that only think level 1.

Seems no one has even put forward a logical argument as to why dev should bet apart from the fact that he has a big hand.

Matters a lot if dev is the PFA or not - ip or oop - and effective stack

Telling someone to just bet bet bet is bad advice imo

One thing I would say is, if your are opening or 3 betting at micro's then you do always bet.....unless you flop quads )

Think fundamental's like value betting are good to work on, but somtimes you just gotta think pokerz, what are our options and pick the correct one.

Gotta add that the biggest fundemental element missing is assigning ranges to the 3 bettor from the bb.
    If your not thinking about what your oppo has than you not better than the rest at micros, ie looking at your own cards and nothing else. To beat micros you need to be at least thinking level 2.

• edited May 2013
    This is why you have to bet, make them pay for there draws!!

Unfortunately for me yesterday I lost every single big hand :( fml

In the long run however you make more money this way.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    INFINITYEV Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £19.80
    eden435 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £25.76
    RemyMartin Sit out     
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

Donttelmum Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £33.33
    donkeyplop Raise  £1.80 £2.70 £18.78
    theonene09 Fold     
    INFINITYEV Fold     
    eden435 Fold     
    Donttelmum Call  £1.20 £3.90 £32.13
    Flop

• K

Donttelmum Check     
    donkeyplop Bet  £2.93 £6.83 £15.85
    Donttelmum Raise  £7.81 £14.64 £24.32
    donkeyplop All-in  £15.85 £30.49 £0.00
    Donttelmum Raise  £21.94 £52.43 £2.38
    Donttelmum Unmatched bet  £10.97 £41.46 £13.35
    Donttelmum Show

donkeyplop Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

Donttelmum Win Straight to the 9 £39.66
  • edited May 2013
    why do you post a hand that is a completely different situation?
  • edited May 2013
    why do you post a hand that is a completely different situation?
    Posted by NColley
    A set vs a flush draw seems the same.