You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
I don't know if this stems from my dislike of change but in my opinion the two newest presenters just don't seem to cut it, they seem very out of their depth and it seems they just throw in random jargon they have overheard which is continually used in the wrong context, they both look like nice people and are very professional but as for their poker know-how or there ability to entertain there leaves a lot to be desired, i can't help but wonder if they were given the jobs based on racial equality as opposed to their suitability.. maybe it is just me. Would love to know what other people opinions are.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    not that keen to be honest which is why i knocked it off after 30 mins, there just doing a job to be fair and there not going to please everyone, if you dont like then dont watch, i usually only watch when orford and carlo are on cos there good crack.
  • edited May 2013

Both presenters are fantastic. Jen Mason is really good and on the show all the time.

"jobs based on racial equality as opposed to their suitability"

That's a rediculous statement, they are there on merit nothing else.

Yiannis, used to be a pres on sky years ago, i seen him on his first show back and it was a really good entertaining show. Yiannis also, for a presenter, seems to have a good knowlegde of poker.

And given it is the first time Jen and Yiannis have worked together, they have a good onscreen chemistry, given they've never worked together before.

They are doing a great job, on what is  ahard format, 5 hours live. I would say over all, all presenters analysts are really good on sky.

• edited May 2013
    I'm not watching so can't really comment specfically on how they have performed tonight, it does seems like  pretty harsh criticism suggesting they have only been chosen for equality reasons. I thought Jen Mason was a really good poker player who has cashed in multiple tournaments?, so i would assume she knows what she is talking about in regards to the analyst role, the presenter as far as i was concerned doesn't need to be an expert so long as they have a certain amount of knowledge to be able to make the show run smoothly and have discussions with the analyst. When i have watched ryan or tikay and anna, it's clear that ryan/tikay is the analyst and Anna is there to fundamentally present without having expert knowledge but having enough of an idea to make the show a good run smoothly and make it entertaining.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??:
    Both presenters are fantastic. Jen Mason is really good and on the show all the time. "jobs based on racial equality as opposed to their suitability" That's a rediculous statement, they are there on merit nothing else. Yiannis, used to be a pres on sky years ago, i seen him on his first show back and it was a really good entertaining show. Yiannis also, for a presenter, seems to have a good knowlegde of poker. And given it is the first time Jen and Yiannis have worked together, they have a good onscreen chemistry, given they've never worked together before. They are doing a great job, on what is  ahard format, 5 hours live. I would say over all, all presenters analysts are really good on sky.
    Posted by LARSON7

Sorry i am not refering to Jen she is an analyst and in my opinion a very good one at that, I was refering to the other new female presenter, they are only my opinions, and i am by no means saying i am correct thats why i was interested in other peoples opinions, 
  • edited May 2013
    I'm not watching so can't really comment specfically on how they have performed tonight, it does seems like  pretty harsh criticism suggesting they have only been chosen for equality reasons. I thought Jen Mason was a really good poker player who has cashed in multiple tournaments?, so i would assume she knows what she is talking about in regards to the analyst role, the presenter as far as i was concerned doesn't need to be an expert so long as they have a certain amount of knowledge to be able to make the show run smoothly and have discussions with the analyst. When i have watched ryan or tikay and anna, it's clear that ryan/tikay is the analyst and Anna is there to fundamentally present without having expert knowledge but having enough of an idea to make the show a good run smoothly and make it entertaining.
    Posted by benc

I'm not talking about Jen as she is not a presenter and yes i agree she is a good analyst and poker player 
  • edited May 2013
    The latest 2 Presenters are awful and boring IMO!!! And defo not talking about Jen mason as she is a analyst and absalutly awesome, but this dude tonight and jules are a no no for me.
  • edited May 2013
    Both presenters are fantastic. Jen Mason is really good and on the show all the time. "jobs based on racial equality as opposed to their suitability" That's a rediculous statement, they are there on merit nothing else. Yiannis, used to be a pres on sky years ago, i seen him on his first show back and it was a really good entertaining show. Yiannis also, for a presenter, seems to have a good knowlegde of poker. And given it is the first time Jen and Yiannis have worked together, they have a good onscreen chemistry, given they've never worked together before. They are doing a great job, on what is  ahard format, 5 hours live. I would say over all, all presenters analysts are really good on sky.
    Posted by LARSON7
    He has a food knowledge of poker???? I couldn't dis agree more. Hasn't got a clue IMO 
  • edited May 2013
    I have watched every SKY Poker show for years except for holidays & tonight is the first time I have turned off.

Not sure what it is about Yiannis. He tries so hard but I think it works best if the presenter pretends to know nothing about poker. This worked well for Anna & Sarah and I like Jules, who does the same. Maybe Yiannis would do better if he stopped offering an opinion on everything.

James is an exception because he is really knowledeable and Richard is self depricating.

I will still watch most shows but it has made me wonder about watching so much SKY Poker. I presume that SKY will see the viewing figures & make decisions based on that.

I love all the analysts but would love to see more of Stu Rutter.
  • edited May 2013
    Yep misread your post, assumed you meant the two people on tonight .
  • edited May 2013
    I have watched every SKY Poker show for years except for holidays & tonight is the first time I have turned off. Not sure what it is about Yiannis. He tries so hard but I think it works best if the presenter pretends to know nothing about poker. This worked well for Anna & Sarah and I like Jules, who does the same. Maybe Yiannis would do better if he stopped offering an opinion on everything. James is an exception because he is really knowledeable and Richard is self depricating. I will still watch most shows but it has made me wonder about watching so much SKY Poker. I presume that SKY will see the viewing figures & make decisions based on that. I love all the analysts but would love to see more of Stu Rutter.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    Yes I will not watch another show with this guy on, and I defo agree about more stu Rutter please!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : He has a food knowledge of poker???? I couldn't dis agree more. Hasn't got a clue IMO 
    Posted by macapaca
    The last time he was on, it was clear he enjoyed playing the game. Where as other presenters only really picked stuff up after presenting the show for a while. He's a recreational player thats knows a decent amount.

If somebody isn't enjoying it don't watch it.
  • edited May 2013
    I have watched every SKY Poker show for years except for holidays & tonight is the first time I have turned off. Not sure what it is about Yiannis. He tries so hard but I think it works best if the presenter pretends to know nothing about poker. This worked well for Anna & Sarah and I like Jules, who does the same. Maybe Yiannis would do better if he stopped offering an opinion on everything. James is an exception because he is really knowledeable and Richard is self depricating. I will still watch most shows but it has made me wonder about watching so much SKY Poker. I presume that SKY will see the viewing figures & make decisions based on that. I love all the analysts but would love to see more of Stu Rutter.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger

completely agree with all this
  • edited May 2013
    In a sense i feel kind of sorry for yannis. I personally dislike his presenting style. At the same time im really not sure what to suggest for him to improve. 

I think all the presenters have their own humour and yannis' just seems to annoy me. Thats not to say it cant be corrected or others dont like him. 

I commented on this elsewhere but i feel it has since gotten slightly out of hand. 

I havent seen much of Jules to comment on her. I think the huge issue we have is we all want every one to be like our favourite presenters, weather that is Rich, James, as 2 who have been mentioned in here. But others wont be like them. Unfortunetly its purely trial and error. 

I think Ice Tiger picks up on a huge point about him offering an opinon on everything. 
  • edited May 2013
    May be its just me, but how many times did he call a set, trips and why did no one in the gallery correct him. It was proper winding me up.
  • edited May 2013
    Sorry Yiannis, but you just don't do it for me.  Perhaps it is because you have higher cheekbones than me, and are all around a better looking wo/man, and I am just jealous, who knows. 
  • edited May 2013
    Give them alittle time guys.  It can't be an easy gig.
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by Donttelmum

+ 1 to this

• edited May 2013
    Posted by Donttelmum
    +2 to this
  • edited May 2013
    It like the first time you went out with your partner.
    Finding the right words is never easy to start, but when you've been together a while you just click.
    in a couple of months you'll be posting how good they are.
    However, how can you top Orford? 
  • edited May 2013
    I can't help but think that this could have been posted after the show was over, rather than while Yiannis was on the air. It seems very likely that he will have seen this which couldn't have been helpful.

I'm going to come down with those suggesting a little time is needed. I remember when Anna started, a couple of years ago, she wasn't entirely comfortable in the studio. In time she relaxed into it and now is excellent on the show (though I'd prefer if nobody told her I said so). I wasn't around at the dawn of time when Richard started but he, James and Sarah have all been doing this for a long time. I wonder how their first few shows would look to us now.

Richard, James, Anna and Sarah are the people we're used to and we've just got to give Jules and Yiannis a bit of time to settle in. I won't be offering my own opinions on them just yet.

However, I will say that the praise being offered to Orford on this thread is really creepy.

That's not what we do here, people!

Of course he's good but we don't need to tell him that.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??:
    I don't know if this stems from my dislike of change but in my opinion the two newest presenters just don't seem to cut it, they seem very out of their depth and it seems they just throw in random jargon they have overheard which is continually used in the wrong context, they both look like nice people and are very professional but as for their poker know-how or there ability to entertain there leaves a lot to be desired, i can't help but wonder if they were given the jobs based on racial equality as opposed to their suitability.. maybe it is just me. Would love to know what other people opinions are.
    Posted by jordz16
    This isnt a very nice thread tbh, and I am surprised that some sky regs havent jumped on this thread rather than supported it, especially the quote about racial equality, wtf!

For the record, LML was a fantastic presenter, worked very well with all the analysts had a great personality/sense of humour AND is half thai/half english. I was gutted when she left. 

We all have our favourites, and tbh its a difficult job to present something you dont have much knowledge about. But, its no harm to learn and try and display how you're understanding of the game is evolving. 

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??:
    Posted by jordz16
    I think the kindest, & most non-controversial way I can reply to that is to describe it as "a most regrettable comment". You cannot seriously mean that?

Jules & Yiannis both had to screen-test for their role. There were two seperate days of screen-tests, & there were 6 or 7 different Presenters "auditioning" on each of those 2 days. I was, as always, the "stooge analyst" for both days.

The standard on both days was incredibly high.

What probably swung things in favour of both of them is they they had both prepped very hard, done their homework, knew the site & site Promotions well, both presented themselves extremely well & showed great enthusiasm.

There is an increasing confusion when criticising others. Because we don't LIKE someone (perfectly reasonable) does not mean they are not good at their job. This is similar to, say, the "too many Bounty Hunters" argument. Not everyone enjoys Bounty Hunters, which is fair enough, but liking or disliking them does not make them bad or good. 

The timing of this thread was also, in my personal opinion, quite dreadful & most inappropriate.

Quite what Yiannis must have thought whilst sat in that Studio for 5 hours doing the Show last night defies imagination. It may have been better if it had been started AFTER the Show finished. Even if Yiannis is not your cup of tea, he is a human being, doing his job, just as you are.

• edited May 2013
    Posted by Donttelmum

Very true - 5 hours of Live TV, with only a 5 minute break every hour, & with a fairly narrow remit, is incredibly hard.

How many different ways of analysing A-K v Q-Q are there? Especially when the Show has been running for over 6 years.

The Presenters are key to the Show, & they have a really tough gig.

Criticism of any of the Channel 861 Presenters & Analysts is fine, but time & place & all that.

• edited May 2013
    Ryan needed a few shows before he got totally comfortable, now he is the nuts!

Everyone needs a bit of time to settle into things and get used to the 861 vibe innit. 

• edited May 2013
    Thread is so biased

All presentors do a great job, even though we all have our own personal favourities this does not mean they are doing a bad job.

Prefer clevage over content but that's just me )
  • edited May 2013
    Im glad to see opinions are split over this as surely that is what you want from a discussion, thats all it is, opinions, Im fairly sure everyone who plays poker has had to take criticism, live or online you are still going to get someone call you a donk or say you are **** at poker etc but that is something you deal with. The sole reason I bought sky was for sky poker tv as i thought it was such a brilliant program, I still believe it's a brilliant program but now there has been a few time where I have had to switch off due to pure irritation I believed it was the correct time to see if others shared my opinion, and as for racial equality, I have been surrounded by the TV business on and off for the past 10 years and that is something that is of primary concern to lots of companies, and in my opinion it is something that's very important as there should be no bias towards age, gender, race etc, 
  • edited May 2013
    Was I a fan of the show last night? No, but come on it was the guys first gig.......this was talked about between a couple of us last night, but away from the forum.

It is bad form to slate the presenter on the forum, where no doubt he could/would have seen DURING his first live show........give a guy a break. I remember Anna's first show and I had similar thoughts about her presenting on the show, didn't like her......now I don't don't know what I was thinking and Sky wouldn't be the same without her. Same goes from Ryan, I thought he appeared nervous.....look at him now, he's a natural and prob the best analyst on the show.
  • edited May 2013
    Was I a fan of the show last night? No, but come on it was the guys first gig.......this was talked about between a couple of us last night, but away from the forum. It is bad form to slate the presenter on the forum, where no doubt he could/would have seen DURING his first live show........give a guy a break. I remember Anna's first show and I had similar thoughts about her presenting on the show, didn't like her......now I don't don't know what I was thinking and Sky wouldn't be the same without her. Same goes from Ryan, I thought he appeared nervous.....look at him now, he's a natural and prob the best analyst on the show.
    Posted by waller02
    Timing, Sir.

We are all humans beings, with emotions.

It might have been better to have waited until the Show finished, perhaps, as you knew Yiannis would be reading the Forum. People can be incredibly hurtful on forums.

The "racial equality" comment was quite bizarre. Nobody at Ch 861 has ever debated or even discussed the ethnic origin of any of those who appear on Ch 861.

The debate/discussion is totally fine. The 861 Talent are fair game I suppose, though God help us if we responded in kind.

The timing, not so much.......
  • edited May 2013
    Was I a fan of the show last night? No, but come on it was the guys first gig.......this was talked about between a couple of us last night, but away from the forum. It is bad form to slate the presenter on the forum, where no doubt he could/would have seen DURING his first live show........give a guy a break. I remember Anna's first show and I had similar thoughts about her presenting on the show, didn't like her......now I don't don't know what I was thinking and Sky wouldn't be the same without her. Same goes from Ryan, I thought he appeared nervous.....look at him now, he's a natural and prob the best analyst on the show.
    Posted by waller02
    Exactly that. What a cruel place Forums can be. 

A grace period of 24 hours would have been considerate before starting the thread.