You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Can I add my two penneth.

I have to agree with just about everything Tikay says on this thread. However that doesn't take away from my opinion that Yiannis is struggling for warmth & likeability. That doesn't mean that he won't get it, just that he is struggling at the moment.

For me that is a complete contrast with Jules, who is warm & likeable. She is also humble and has started very much like Anna & Sarah (and LML & Michelle before them) by being (or acting) relatively dumb, asking lots of questions and trying to learn. Yiannis, on the other hand, is too quick to offer an opinion, even almost getting in an argument with Jen last night which made me cringe. Full credit to Jen for taking it well on screen.

If Yiannis wants to be successful, he needs to learn what makes a good SKY Poker presenter and I am sure there will be plenty of help & advice around.

Full credit to SKY Poker for leaving this thread on the forum and commenting on the wisdom (or otherwise) of the OP. Certainly the comment regarding positive racism was at best ill advised. The timing that the thread was started was also not the best.

I appreciate that doing a five hour live show must be difficult. The professionalism of RO, AF, SC & JH hides these difficulties well. Also having seen YM's three shows, he has shown some improvement. In his first show, he kept rotating in his chair which he has now stopped doing. Maybe this improvement will continue.

Let me just comment on Anna. One or two people said that they weren't keen on her at first. My view was torn between "does she know what she is doing" & "this girl is a fruitcake" but there is something totally endearing about her that gets you on side. That is what Yiannis hasn't got yet.

Can I suggest analysing his game, highlighting his mistakes, him saying "what a dope I am" and then people will start to come round.

PS: If you want a guest on the show, I am usually available. ;)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??:
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : I have been on the show before and really enjoyed it! I would be happy to go on again assuming the correct fee is agreed! A lot of good points have been made by Sky Dave/Tikay/Rancid/donttelmum.....even Julian! Regarding the shows, the presenters/analysts cannot please everyone all of the time. The shows seem to be gearing themselves more towards new players (which makes complete sense as we need new players all of the time). This can mean some of the shows are not aimed at, and therefore not appreciated by the standard forum reg. There are a number of levels of thinking within poker and sky need to gear themselves towards different levels at different times. When I was on the show, I found it hard (probably frustrating is a better word!) analysing numerous hands where players were limping utg with rags etc however you are there to help players so you have to make sure you explain why what they are doing isn't optimal. If these are the hands players want analysed then you need to do your best to help players. The 5 hour show is a long time but it is their job so they should be able to do it however as people have mentioned who was perfect at their job after 3 shifts/days! My main issues are the timing of the post lack of constructive feedback from some people racial equality comments which are so far off the mark imo Its good to have discussion about things BUT we are talking about a person and their job so people should consider that and re read what they post before they post it. I guess its a sign of the times but I keep seeing people post things online that I don't think they would say to peoples faces and I do wonder why people do it!
    Posted by MattBates

Yeah for what its worth i dont want to cost any one their job, or make them feel unhappy about their job. 

I feel kind of guilty for being on this thread actually. Ive posted what i felt was an honest opinion while trying to be balanced in allowing the lad to improve. 
  • edited May 2013
    So much support now that someone posted something negative (poorly timed imo) yet theres just 10 posts in last nights official show thread, most of which were posted today.......

• edited May 2013
    So much support now that someone posted something negative (poorly timed imo) yet theres just 10 posts in last nights official show thread, most of which were posted today.......
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Well I am sure Sky can work out the show wasn't that well received by the fact the numbers were down or no forum posts.
    Should we really start a thread everytime we don't like a show, guest, analayst or presenter.

This whole I am going to post "I thought it was boring" is so not warranted and acheives nothing but to upset the people concerned in a totally negative way.

Constructive critism is one thing, threads like this are an internet viral disease caused by people that don't think before they type.

Would the op feel better if the two presentors never worked for Sky again ?
    Is this the sole reason for the thread ?
    What is the reason for this thread ?

Negative threads like this just make me want to vommit !

• edited May 2013
    Posted by Curt360x27
    This was mentioned earlier.

I don't think it's up to forum folk to post out of some sort of responsibility. The show team have to make people want to post.

The dynamic isn't set yet with the new presenters. It's tough to have banter with people you know nothing about. With no Poker Clinic, Analyse My Play, Poker School, etc, there would have been little to encourage poker related contributions and there are no competitions anymore to encourage random chit chat.

I actually missed the show last night so maybe that explains why there weren't dozens more posts. ;)

Don, I wouldn't worry about anyone thinking that you want Yiannis to be sacked. Nobody will read your posts that way. There are some posts here that seem to be aiming at that but I doubt that anyone is going to view them as reasonable. As far as I can tell, these people aren't even giving Mr Morgan the chance to fail.
  • edited May 2013
    I watched the show last night and have seen Jules so am going to comment.

I wasn't impressed by Y, obviously the guy is new and needs time. I can remember by third day at my current job and I'm certainly a lot better at it now than I was then! The biggest criticism for me would be that he was almost trying to analyse himself rather than let Jen do that. I can understand he wants to learn but should really be leaving the analyising to Jen. Also his poker knowledge doesn't seem to be the best, I think this was mentioned on an earlier page but the 'trips' thing was very annoying, this was mentioned at least 2 or 3 times during the night and so frustrating, it's a set not trips! Again I'm sure if Y is made aware of this he will learn. The guy seems intelligent and professional so I am sure in time he will be a decent presenter but just needs to work on a few things.

I have seen a few of Jules' shows and think she seems a really happy and lovable girl! The fact that she's absolutely gorgeous looking helps! Again her poker knowledge isn't the best and I think that times she is slightly hesitant when changing topics but will learn with experience. I have seen Jules' show reels on YouTube where she is like a roaming interviewer at the Olympics and Wimbledon and this seems to suit her really well as it's all about creating a happy positive atmosphere. She seems a better interviewer than presenter so far but I guess thats what she has more experience in.

I remember from the early days of Sky when Kara Scott worked for the channel and again she improved over time and has since gone onto bigger and better things!

I was once asked to go on the channel when they used to have two guests playing the nights open in the studio but as I was only about 18 at the time I completely bottled it! It must be hard being on for five hours. I'm sure the newbies will improve otherwise Sky management will have to do something!

For what it's worth my favourite line-up would be James & Ryan/Stu (I really rate Ryan) for the best poker knowledge/intelligence and for poker knowledge with the laughs Rich & Ry/Tikay.
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by Curt360x27
    I thought the reason the number of posts on the show thread is down is because they only respond to twitter and emails now.
  • edited May 2013
    Wow missed the show having been at wembley celebrating the mighty BANTAMS PROMOTION AND HAVE JUST ABOUT SOBERED UP maybe
    Cant quite believe the critisism please wait for at least another half dozen shows, then if Yannis still is not flavour of the month then maybe a more measured critique ie plus points, and minus points in his overall approach!
    BUT LEAVE THE REST ALONE INC JULES
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : I thought the reason the number of posts on the show thread is down is because they only respond to twitter and emails now.
    Posted by jonjo75
    That only lasted a couple of weeks. I guess they decided that closing the show thread wasn't going to increase their twitter numbers.

They don't actively encourage people to use the forum anymore. Not as an alternative to e-mail and twitter, anyway. They do read forum posts just as before, though.
  • edited May 2013
    I remember when I started doing live presenting 18 years ago- although not a total disaster, I wasn't exactly an immediate hit either- although luckily I was given time in which I worked hard and managed to improve to an acceptable level. You may of course have a different opinion!

But god knows what sort of response would have been waiting for me had the internet and specifically Twitter existed in those first few weeks for me. I shudder to think. To that end, I think I was shielded from any negative comments, which were undoubtedly out there but had no platform to be expressed- which probably just about kept my confidence above meltdown level!

Yiannis is a good lad, I crossed paths with him once or twice a few years back. Also, it's not an easy gig for someone new to the channel to walk straight into. Try talking five hours straight about one subject. Now add live cameras and someone talking in your ear. Now, add Tikay!

Yes, it's true that all presenters should be able to cope with this as ultimately that's their profession and Yiannis is no exception. But then, he's not lacking in this department. He can obviously do the job. All he needs is time to find his style and hone his schtick for this particular channel. Same goes for Jules. And anyone else coming in new to 861 in the future for that matter. You could throw Jeff Stelling straight into our studio and even he'd need a few shows to get used to the format, all the game and site lingo, being thrown in cold with onscreen partners he'd never met before etc. etc.

So- patience, my young Jedis...

As for Tikay though, I've long given up on him ever improving. You can throw the book at him as far as I'm concerned. Especially during live shows. Fill your boots, my friends. Fill your boots.
  • edited May 2013
    Didnt watch, think seen one person and wasnt impressed, but this thread is very harsh!

pretty sure noone was a fan of Anna early on but now everyone loves her and shes brilliant, sky are blessed with many great presenters and its good to change it up so its not the same.

• edited May 2013
    I don't like any presenters, new or otherwise.  I wish they'd leave me alone, especially in my own home.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : Well I am sure Sky can work out the show wasn't that well received by the fact the numbers were down or no forum posts. Should we really start a thread everytime we don't like a show, guest, analayst or presenter. This whole I am going to post "I thought it was boring" is so not warranted and acheives nothing but to upset the people concerned in a totally negative way. Constructive critism is one thing, threads like this are an internet viral disease caused by people that don't think before they type. Would the op feel better if the two presentors never worked for Sky again ? Is this the sole reason for the thread ? What is the reason for this thread ? Negative threads like this just make me want to vommit !
    Posted by rancid
    totally agree.......i dont know why this thread is even still going.....suggesting that the guy got the job just because of his ethnicity is outrageous bordering on racist(and i hate people using the "you're racist"card).
    surely the forum was not set up for such negative threads?
  • edited May 2013
    I remember when I started doing live presenting 18 years ago- although not a total disaster, I wasn't exactly an immediate hit either- although luckily I was given time in which I worked hard and managed to improve to an acceptable level. You may of course have a differe nt op inio n! But god knows what sort of response would have been waiting for me had the internet and specifically Twitter existed in those first few weeks for me. I shudder to think. To that end, I think I was shielded from any negative comments, which were undoubtedly out there but had no platform to be expressed- which probably just about kept my confidence above meltdown level! Yiannis is a good lad, I crossed paths with him once or twice a few years back. Also, it's not an easy gig for someone new to the channel to walk straight into. Try talking five hours straight about one subject. Now add live cameras and someone talking in your ear. Now, add Tikay! Yes, it's true that all presenters should be able to cope with this as ultimately that's their profession and Yiannis is no exception. B ut then, he's not lacking in this department. He can obviously do the job. All he needs is time to find his style and hone his schtick for this particular channel . Same goes for Jules. And anyone else coming in new to 861 in the future for that matter. You could throw Jeff Stelling straight into our studio and even he'd need a few shows to get used to the format, all the game and site lingo , being thrown in cold with onscreen partners he'd never met before etc. etc. So- patience, my young Jedis... As for Tikay though, I've long given up on him ever improving. You can throw the book at him as far as I'm concerned. Especially during live shows. F ill your boots , my fr iends. Fill your boots.
    Posted by RICHORFORD

got to agree with you mate....you made kelly brook look good on bb!..:)

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : He has a food knowledge of poker???? I couldn't dis agree more. Hasn't got a clue IMO 
    Posted by macapaca
    this from the guy who reacons "neil channing is no good"..pmsl
  • edited May 2013
    Really good to see that some common sense has prevailed after some really negative posts at the start of this thread.

It might be hard incorporating the "live forum thread" on the show, maybe that's why it was dropped. In my opinion, it's a lot easier doing this than sending an email twooting (in Tks wordS lol)

These contributions would maybe break it up for the presenters, and give a few more talking points. Might be a bit more interactive as well. Might be a good idea to bring back a comp every show, even if it is a small prize like entry into a mini. It would be a talking point for the presenter, use up some time at the end of the show announcing winners.

Just some thoughts on the show generally/
  • edited May 2013

Fascinating thread if you enjoy psychology.

A little negativity goes a very long way, & seems to make a great deal of noise. But once someone pops their head above the parapet & makes the case properly, & in a timely manner, it is amazing how many decent people populate this place.

A great Community this.

• edited May 2013
    Just like to add that everyone on here that has been negative about the new presenter just think back to all your first few weeks in a job, was u foot perfect very doubtfull but for the good grace of your boss u were given time to shine as it should happen in the workplace, otherwise we would all end up being sacked, give the man a chance i say and stop all this childish (i dont like him posts) nonsence.
  • edited May 2013
    I don't like any presenters, new or otherwise.  I wish they'd leave me alone, especially in my own home.
    Posted by Wilhelm

This is about that time you caught me rummaging around in your bins, isn't it Wilhelm?

I asked you not to mention that publicly...
  • edited May 2013
    What Orford said.

By the way, when I started on the channel, I had TWO hate threads running simultaneously on the forum.

So, I win!

I think...

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : got to agree with you mate....you made kelly brook look good on bb!..:)
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

That's probably the harshest thing anyone's ever said to me Dave! Lol!

To be fair though, I think Kelly Brook would look good on anything...
  • edited May 2013
    What Orford said. By the way, when I started on the channel, I had TWO hate threads running simultaneously on the forum. So, I win! I think...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    RAISE
  • edited May 2013
    What Orford said. By the way, when I started on the channel, I had TWO hate threads running simultaneously on the forum. So, I win! I think...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Three actually. I started one up in the Area 51 section...

;-)

• edited May 2013
    Posted by J-Hartigan

link pls

• edited May 2013
    sky dave

just a quick point

with respect you have pointed out how difficult presenting is

surely this is yannis job? so yes it would be very very difficult if not impossible for me or somebody else with no experience to do it but you could say the same for a lot of jobs.

personally and i suspect it is not through choice i would like to see redmond get a few more presenting gigs improved very quickly and now if you watched him as a new viewer you would not be aware he is not a natural tv presenter
  • edited May 2013
    What Orford said. X2

Ten years ago I started at a radio station called 'Horizon' somewhere in a Milton Keynes carpark.  I lifted the microphone anxiously and uttered my first nervous words to what I hoped would be an amenable audience.  I lifted my head seconds after to see my first text!:  'YOU'RE A SH!T DJ'

Ten years later I still get those texts from time to time, I've told Dad to stop it but he can't help himself.  Luckily I now have a Sony Award I can cuddle while I cry... ;-)

Look we all come up against criticism in the jobs we do and it's always going to sting a little, arguably more so when it's done so publically. For what it's worth I worked with Yiannis Morgan many years ago and always looked forward to our shifts together, a genuinely affable chap who always put a smile on my face so I'd encourage the doubters to give him a chance to do the same.  That's all!

Sx 

• edited May 2013
    What Orford said. X2 Ten years ago I started at a radio station called 'Horizon' somewhere in a Milton Keynes carpark.  I lifted the microphone anxiously and uttered my first nervous words to what I hoped would be an amenable audience.  I lifted my head seconds after to see my first text!:  'YOU'RE A SH!T DJ' Ten years later I still get those texts from time to time, I've told Dad to stop it but he can't help himself.  Luckily I now have a Sony Award I can cuddle while I cry... ;-) Look we all come up against criticism in the jobs we do and it's always going to sting a little, arguably more so when it's done so publically. For what it's worth I worked with Yiannis Morgan many years ago and always looked forward to our shifts together, a genuinely affable chap who always put a smile on my face so I'd encourage the doubters to give him a chance to do the same.  That's all! Sx 
    Posted by Sarah_C
    Well said young lady
  • edited May 2013
    What Orford said. X2 Ten years ago I started at a radio station called 'Horizon' somewhere in a Milton Keynes carpark.  I lifted the microphone anxiously and uttered my first nervous words to what I hoped would be an amenable audience.  I lifted my head seconds after to see my first text!:  'YOU'RE A SH!T DJ' Ten years later I still get those texts from time to time, I've told Dad to stop it but he can't help himself.  Luckily I now have a Sony Award I can cuddle while I cry... ;-) Look we all come up against criticism in the jobs we do and it's always going to sting a little, arguably more so when it's done so publically. For what it's worth I worked with Yiannis Morgan many years ago and always looked forward to our shifts together, a genuinely affable chap who always put a smile on my face so I'd encourage the doubters to give him a chance to do the same.  That's all! Sx 
    Posted by Sarah_C
    That's what we all got into this game for, Sarah. The glamour...  ;-)
  • edited May 2013

At least she knew where her car was.......
  • edited May 2013
    At least she knew where her car was.......
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sshh, you. I'm working with a proper commentator tonight. Tune in and take some notes, it's on a channel called Sky Poker and it starts at 7.

PS-Love you.