You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I watched the show for the first time last night and I thought it was pretty good, would watch again for sure. :)
  • edited May 2013
    personally i am only watching the shows now when richard and tikay or richard and carlo combine

why? because i feel correctly or not i will see something different on one of there shows or at the very least some excellent banter

however that is my choice and having watched a lot of 861 it was time to cut down a bit.

it is also a shame those backing the new presenter did not feel free to post some positive comments in the show thread during the show

• edited May 2013
    last night my poker was sh*te
    played bad, ran bad
    luckily, apart from those on the tables, solly & offshoot for example, no-one else saw this

meanwhile the two new presenters may not be running hot yet, but to hold together a 5hr long show as a newbie is a tough gig

in tablechat last night i think the comment that hit the nail on the head was "boring"

my summary on Yiannis as a presenter would be:

knows and promotes the site well, is clear and articulate
    has enough poker knowledge to interact well with the analyst on the topic
    but let the analyst do the majority of the poker analysis - who is interested in his poker opinion, at this stage at least?

his challenge should be to find a way to add some zing into the presentation. topics totally open. who would have expected cement and motorway service stations to be appropriate discussion material for example? Anna adds zing beautifully, in more ways than one. His challenge is to find his zing. He needs to know that - but not during the show.

• edited May 2013
    HI IDCU

"racial equality".....is a poor 'reason' and comment to make, Steve and puts you in a poor light in some people's eyes, i'm sure though i don't think you realised this when you put it, to be fair.

As for the new presenters can we just give them a little more time to settle in and find their feet before making such negative opinions. Give them a chance to find a style that suits them and enables them to gel with their audience. We all look to improve but it takes time. Please give them a chance...
  • edited May 2013

Concrete, Geldy, not cement. CONCRETE.

In case you had forgotten, here is a photograph of some CONCRETE.

And this is cement.

• edited May 2013
    To clarify; last night was Yiannis' third show, not his first.

I'd just suggest that perhaps it would be a good idea to get a guest in on Yiannis' next show. It might take a little of the pressure off and not leave him feeling that he needs to contribute to the more technical points. Obviously I don't know about the logistics of getting someone in but how hard can it be? If none of the "known" pros are available, I'm sure TommyD will be happy to turn up (he's not shy). There may also be other not shy people out there.

One final suggestion would be that both Jules and Yiannis would probably benefit from being the subject of 'Analyse My Play'. Watching them donk off a few quid and laugh at themselves a bit might help people warm to them. :)

I can think of one really good reason why a largely male audience might have more patience with Jules than Yiannis, though. I think we can all understand that.
  • edited May 2013
    Don't see anything wrong with this discussion tbh. In that kind of work your going to be criticised aswell as praised, you have to take both equally, its just part of the job. If this thread was praising the work of the new presenters i'm pretty sure nothing would be made of it? It's no different.

Agree completely with Tikay on the 'racial eqaulity' statement which was simply ridiculous!!!!   
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters??:
    HI IDCU "racial equality".....is a poor 'reason' and comment to make, Steve and puts you in a poor light in some people's eyes, i'm sure though i don't think you realised this when you put it, to be fair. As for the new presenters can we just give them a little more time to settle in and find their feet before making such negative opinions. Give them a chance to find a style that suits them and enables them to gel with their audience. We all look to improve but it takes time. Please give them a chance...
    Posted by profman15
    I must correct you there proffy - IDCU has not commented on the thread. Almost uniquely.......

I do agree, however, that the comment was not intended to be offensive - it was, if I may say so, more "clumsy" than vindictive I think.
  • edited May 2013
    HI IDCU "racial equality".....is a poor 'reason' and comment to make, Steve and puts you in a poor light in some people's eyes, i'm sure though i don't think you realised this when you put it, to be fair. Posted by profman15
    Profman, IDONKCALLU is going to be on your case.

The OP was jordz16, though you can be forgiven for the mistake since they use the same picture thingy.

Tikay beat me to the punch this time.
  • edited May 2013
    Don't see anything wrong with this discussion tbh. In that kind of work your going to be criticised aswell as praised, you have to take both equally, its just part of the job. If this thread was praising the work of the new presenters i'm pretty sure nothing would be made of it? It's no different. Agree completely with Tikay on the 'racial eqaulity' statement which was simply ridiculous!!!!   
    Posted by Curt360x27
    The discussion is fine & dandy. I just think it was rather insensitive to Post it whilst the chap was actually doing the Show. Can't have helped his confidence much!

The "racial equality" comment blew me away, to be honest. No idea where that came from.  
  • edited May 2013
    Concrete, Geldy, not cement. CONCRETE. In case you had forgotten, here is a photograph of some CONCRETE. And this is cement.  
    Posted by Tikay10

you win again

cement VS. concrete
    cement102,000,000 concrete215,000,000 Total Pages Searched:317,000,000
    GoogleBattle winner is  concrete

not surprising though

geldy VS. tikay
    geldy38,600 tikay265,000 Total Pages Searched:303,600
    GoogleBattle winner is tikay

and yes, this is the zing i am talking about
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : Profman, IDONKCALLU is going to be on your case. The OP was jordz16, though you can be forgiven for the mistake since they use the same picture thingy. Tikay beat me to the punch this time.
    Posted by BorinLoner

Hi Borin

TY for the heads up m8. IDCU ...sincere apologies but i did think it was unlike you, Steve. Arsenal supporters are such fair-minded fans. (LOL)
    Sorry jordz but the comment is and was aimed at you instead.
    Its funny after seeing so many IDCU comments with that icon i think he should just be given it by SKY!!!!!!
     I should have realised it wasn't you IDCU as, with your well known dyslexia which you down play in good heart, im not sure what it may have said! Sorry again Steve.
  • edited May 2013
    lol proffman i havent commented on here 

i have had my say on the facebook forum tho hes not my cuppa tea found him bland n boring but as i said on there u can dig at him but i like tosee any of u guys do a better job ya would never get me on there presenting a show gotta give him credit for that 

n this was bad timing i see on the show they go thru the i -pad and look at the forums yiannis could of done this and seen ya post jordz and would of been left not a happy knowing people not like him yet continue with the show could of left it till after the show 

IF U DONT LIKE HIM JUST DONT WATCH IT SIMPLES LIKE TO SEE ALL THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING DO A BETTER JOB 
  • edited May 2013
    Personally i thought the guy last night (will not attempt to spell his name) did a really good job.

Plus, very nice to see him learning as he is presenting and talking about hands, and asking questions people will want answers too.
    If all players tried to learn as much as this guy, and spent less time moaning and crying over beats, poker would be a much tougher game IMO
  • edited May 2013
    Personally i thought the guy last night (will not attempt to spell his name) did a really good job. Plus, very nice to see him learning as he is presenting and talking about hands, and asking questions people will want answers too. If all players tried to learn as much as this guy, and spent less time moaning and crying over beats, poker would be a much tougher game IMO
    Posted by 1267
    Yeah he done alright..

Anyone new is going to get so much stick because everyone is used to the same old faces telling the same old jokes/puns/private banter jokes etc...

Airing you distain for any presentor is just bad form imo, what do you hope to get out of it ?

Do you want them sacked ?

Reminds me of some horrible boys own companies I have worked for, if your face don't fit -  your out.

witch hunt anyone ?

Just to give this thread a bit of balance, I find all the presentors at times equally boring......

)
  • edited May 2013

Boring?

What?

WHAT?

• edited May 2013
    All the presenters and analysts have good and bad points about them and bring something different to the table. It'd be a pretty boring show if everyone presented in the same manner.

Can't be easy being a presenter and having to do 5 hours with an analyst that you'd only met for the first time on that day. Most of the other presenters have been around ages now and have prob worked with all of the analysts a few times.
  • edited May 2013
    I commented last night. I felt then and still feel one comment and discussion has since got out of hand. 

I dont personally like Yannis presenting style. Thats not to say that Yannis cannot change my mind on that. I would love to suggest things for him to improve.

I think borinloner put up a point try and take some pressure off with a guest. 

Tommy would be a good example as one mentioned i think. Maybe even someone like Matt Bates who crushes us daily. might also give someone a chance to win :)

Im all for giving him some time and i hope he can fix the issues i personally dislike.
  • edited May 2013
     I didn't see last nights show. Was busy with other stuff. IMHO we are very lucky to have Orford, Fowler and Champion as regular presenters as they make a very hard job look easy. There are lots of us out there who could do an ok job as the analyst on the show and end it looking semi competent, however, put us in the presenters seat and you would have instant car crash tv. Give him a few shows to get used to it
  • edited May 2013
    I commented last night. I felt then and still feel one comment and discussion has since got out of hand.  I dont personally like Yannis presenting style. Thats not to say that Yannis cannot change my mind on that. I would love to suggest things for him to improve. I think borinloner put up a point try and take some pressure off with a guest.  Tommy would be a good example as one mentioned i think. Maybe even someone like Matt Bates who crushes us daily. might also give someone a chance to win :).  Im all for giving him some time and i hope he can fix the issues i personally dislike.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I don't watch the channel very often, but i think it would be great to have a segment once a week with a guest/reg from the forum, as it's so much easier to relate to them as a recreational player who plays on the side of a job. It would definetly make me tune in to see people like.. mattbates, tommyd, GaryQQQ, Dohhh,lambert, idonkcallu, rancid, dontellmum etc etc just talk about there journeys in poker maybe discuss a few hands with the analyst. Might sound a bit ridiculous but it think it would go down really well.
  • edited May 2013

With 3 shows a week @ 5 hours a time, I can't imagine any of the existing presenters would be unable to commit....why do you need 6?

When you have (imo) one of the best presenters on TV anywhere, in Rich O, and a very very good presenter in Anna, why would they not do the 3 shows per week between them?

Then you have Sarah who is also very good. And James, although I'd prefer to see him in the analyst chair where possible, but that's still 4 quality presenters to fill 3 spots. 

Why would you even need any more?

Haven't seen the 2 new people, but I can't see any real need to change unless RO & AF are turning the shows down. 

Even then, Redmond and TK have both filled in quite naturally. 

Don't understand the politics behind it, but Sky are blessed with a pool of 4 vvvvvv good presenters. Wudn't bother messing about myself. 

• edited May 2013
    With 3 shows a week @ 5 hours a time, I can't imagine any of the existing presenters would be unable to commit....why do you need 6? When you have (imo) one of the best presenters on TV anywhere, in Rich O, and a very very good presenter in Anna, why would they not do the 3 shows per week between them? Then you have Sarah who is also very good. And James, although I'd prefer to see him in the analyst chair where possible, but that's still 4 quality presenters to fill 3 spots.  Why would you even need any more? Haven't seen the 2 new people, but I can't see any real need to change unless RO & AF are turning the shows down.  Even then, Redmond and TK have both filled in quite naturally.  Don't understand the politics behind it, but Sky are blessed with a pool of 4 vvvvvv good presenters. Wudn't bother messing about myself. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    In order for you to realise Orford's superior ability you need to also have a worse presenter so Orford shines through :-) 

I've only seen the op presenter once, and that wasn't yesterday, but I had no problem with him at all. It's all just opinion, and it looks like the general consensus is that he's not liked, but we'll see how that changes over time if he's allowed to keep the job. 

I have to admit though, the new presenters show thread was nothing short of awful lol Boring wall of text. Wait, is the new presenter BorinLoner? 
  • edited May 2013
    If Jules and Yiannis read this I really hope they aren't disheartened.  I think for being new to the show they are doing great.  No matter what kind of job they did there would always be haters.

Don't let any of the posts get to you, you both obviously beat very tough opposition to get the job and Tikay's judgement is spot on.  Enjoy it and let your personalities shine through.

Look forward to seeing you both on 861 real soon!
  • edited May 2013
    Boring? What? WHAT?
    Posted by Tikay10

My missus says she finds you annoying, she was going to start a thread about it - but I said it's just not worth it !

• edited May 2013
    Having done some time in front of the camera myself, the gig of presenter is insanely hard. I will probably hack an analyst or two off with this, but the presenter role is 10 times harder IMO. 

Why?

Autocue.
    Something as simple as reading from an autocue when you know you're live suddenly becomes far more daunting. You boo-boo that up and you can't undo it. Concentration has to be mixed with an air of confidence and appeal.

Talkback
    That's the earpiece that lets them get information and direction from the gallery while having to present at the same time. How many of you can continue with your sentence while listening to another? I have been offered talk back a couple of times in the past and declined in a heartbeat. Too much information going in while some is going out for my brain to cope with.

Being the 'lead' on the show 
    Analysts are essentially 'doing poker'. I can happily analyse hands, offer ways to tackle poker problems, talk about pot odds for days. I couldn't do 15 minutes of interviewing someone else live. Presenters have to steer the conversation, lead with natural questions (and presenters do put these in along with those from the Production team in the gallery) and keep you lot happy at the same time. Oh, and then read about the performance on here. 

The length of the broadcast. 
    There aren't too many TV settings out there which demand ONE presenter do a FIVE HOUR live stint in ONE SESSION. The mighty Jeff Stelling is an obvious exception. Even the Sky Sports football teams covering matches are doing 3-4 hours and there's 90 minutes of football to break it up. Sky Poker presenters get a total of 20 minutes split into four 5-minute breaks. 

As for the timing part of the thread, Tikay is absolutely right. If you were two hours into your working day and you had a dozen people stroll by and tell you your efforts weren't to their liking (or worse), you've feel demoralised and slighted by it. You'd at least want to be judged on the whole shift, right? And to think this presenter was on their third shift. I imagine everyone is fully competent in their jobs by their third day....

Criticism is fine, but be fair and give anyone who puts themselves into this particularly tough role a bit of time, that's what I say.
  • edited May 2013
    wow,
    i kinda feel for the new guys as from my own limited experience a 5hr show is a pretty daunting task & surely everyone should realise that it usually takes a stint or to to warm to a new face on any show.
    i multi-viewed the 861 show alongside the GPS live stream & thought it was good entertainment.
    when i first heard carlo was going to be an analyst i did a double take (sry mr citrone), now he's the one who regularly tickles my fancy,
    whudda thunk it...
  • edited May 2013
    wow, i kinda feel for the new guys as from my own limited experience a 5hr show is a pretty daunting task & surely everyone should realise that it usually takes a stint or to to warm to a new face on any show. i multi-viewed the 861 show alongside the GPS live stream & thought it was good entertainment. when i first heard carlo was going to be an analyst i did a double take (sry mr citrone), now he's the one who regularly tickles my fancy, whudda thunk it...
    Posted by yoyo

You're a pretty dab hand at analysing, Jules. Could do with working on your No Limit Hold'em tournament skills though. :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions on the 2 newest sky poker presenters?? : You're a pretty dab hand at analysing, Jules. Could do with working on your No Limit Hold'em tournament skills though. :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    double rubs!!

(hope you manage to snag a pass for birmingham btw)
  • edited May 2013
    +1 to all the nicer posts.

I did start a thread a while ago after his first show saying how good I thought Yiannis was and how I was looking forward to seeing more of him.

Admittedly I didn't love his 2nd show as much, I didn't see the show last night, and I'm sure he's not perfect but who is? This was discussed elsewhere and I said at the time how harsh it was to post this kind of thing especially mid-show. It must be a hard job as it is, so to have to read this and not blink an eye and just carry on is not gonna make things any easier.

Obv there's room for improvement as I think there is with pretty much every single presenter on the show (maybe with the exception of Orford... urgh @ saying that lol).

I think it's been mentioned earlier in this thread but one of the things I liked about his first show was that he was clearly a 'rec' player who had some thoughts on the game. He's not a pro, so sometimes his thought processes are wrong, but this is to be expected and if nothing else it sparks debate and allows to analyst to dispel some bad thought processes viewers might have and explain why XYZ is the correct way to play/think.
  • edited May 2013
    I commented last night. I felt then and still feel one comment and discussion has since got out of hand.  I dont personally like Yannis presenting style. Thats not to say that Yannis cannot change my mind on that. I would love to suggest things for him to improve. I think borinloner put up a point try and take some pressure off with a guest.  Tommy would be a good example as one mentioned i think. Maybe even someone like Matt Bates who crushes us daily. might also give someone a chance to win :).  Im all for giving him some time and i hope he can fix the issues i personally dislike.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I have been on the show before and really enjoyed it! I would be happy to go on again assuming the correct fee is agreed!

A lot of good points have been made by Sky Dave/Tikay/Rancid/donttelmum.....even Julian!

Regarding the shows, the presenters/analysts cannot please everyone all of the time. The shows seem to be gearing themselves more towards new players (which makes complete sense as we need new players all of the time). This can mean some of the shows are not aimed at, and therefore not appreciated by the standard forum reg.

There are a number of levels of thinking within poker and sky need to gear themselves towards different levels at different times. When I was on the show, I found it hard (probably frustrating is a better word!) analysing numerous hands where players were limping utg with rags etc however you are there to help players so you have to make sure you explain why what they are doing isn't optimal. If these are the hands players want analysed then you need to do your best to help players.

The 5 hour show is a long time but it is their job so they should be able to do it however as people have mentioned who was perfect at their job after 3 shifts/days! My main issues are

the timing of the post
    lack of constructive feedback from some people
    racial equality comments which are so far off the mark imo

Its good to have discussion about things BUT we are talking about a person and their job so people should consider that and re read what they post before they post it. I guess its a sign of the times but I keep seeing people post things online that I don't think they would say to peoples faces and I do wonder why people do it!