You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!!

Hi

This is the first time in doing a diary so excuse me if it not to perfect. I currently work full time and have a strong passion for Poker. Where I can read magazines on what's happening in the Poker world on the tube or at home, I will. I also watch a lot of Poker events via youtube as well as reading various books (at the minute reading 'super systems 2' by Doyle Brunson...long book - but great!!

When I'm not working, I like to squeeze what time I have playing in STT, MTT and ring games up NL2 and NL5 (3rd party site)

As recently I have been drawn to Sky Poker. I love the almost family atmosphere it adopts where everybody helps everybody in improving their game. It's really inspired me to take it up another notch. 

I'm hoping to bump into other people have been or are in a similar situation to me who can best advise me on my journey. If anyone can recommend me a blog/diary to read to take TRUE INSPIRATION from, point me in that direction. I'll be happy to do so. Right now, being a Poker Professional does not wet my appetite. I have a good job which pays well but my passion for Poker wants me to play more study more and be a successful. I understand it may not bring MILLIONS (or will it...) but if I was able to be rewarded of investing my time to the game I love, the game I have grown to love over the past couple years, I won't complain. 

Goals
=====

- to play in a major poker event and TAKE IT DOWN (so gutted I missed SPT Birmingham)
- grind online 2-3 times a week for a few hours on 2-3 tables 
- par take in low buy in tournaments on Sky Poker
- play through my bad beats online and post my bad beats as well as my wins to be guided on how to improve
- PLAY GOOD POKER. if this can be done well,being rewarded shouldn't be too far off

Bankroll
======

I currently have £30 as a recreational player (including my free £10 - thanks Sky Poker). I intend on grinding on the small tables and where possible if my bankroll allows it, enter some tournaments.

Mission Statement from 'tahtrizzle'
==========================

I have made it my duty to focus on my diary as much as my poker game in aiding me to achieve my winning goals. WIN or LOSE, I will remain positive. The poker gods are with me...I want the community to be with me to

Off topic...I'm soooooo gutted I missed the SPT in Birmingham. I feel as though I'm playing some good poker at present and would of loved to be involved

Don't wanna miss out the next one.

Thanks for reading...believe in me

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Come and see me on the 4nl tables. I'll give your bankroll a boost!

Good luck with it all. Not sure how experienced you are so just be careful not to try and run before you can walk.
  • edited June 2013
    gl Tahtrizzle,

if u r looking for some inspiration,read Garyqqq's diary...

1ooo poker points----- /> £1000 can it be done. (on page 3 atm)

best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited June 2013

Hey

Good luck to you.

There is many various diaries on the forum, just have a look about and see what interests you.

The £10 free token you have can be used across any MTT. You can get deepstack ones for as little as a pound, or £2 bounty hunters.

If you have any interesting hands post them up in your diary or in the poker clinic section and people will leave excellent feedback to help you improve.

Most importantly have fun and dont take it to serioussly.

All the best

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!!:
    Come and see me on the 4nl tables. I'll give your bankroll a boost! Good luck with it all. Not sure how experienced you are so just be careful not to try and run before you can walk.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thank you for the advice

I have played cash games for about nine months and only now (on a 3rd party site) have started to run good and plug some leaks I have had in my play

The problem is...I have no one to trade hands with. I could of said my Brother as he has been playing Poker longer than me but I think ive taken the mantlepiece of no.1 Poker player in the household. lol

I think my bankroll might be too small for NL4 though

• edited June 2013
    gl Tahtrizzle, if u r looking for some inspiration,read Garyqqq's diary... 1ooo poker points----- /> £1000 can it be done. (on page 3 atm) best wishes :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Going to check it now.

Thanks for the heads up (excuse the pun)
  • edited June 2013
    Hey Good luck to you. There is many various diaries on the forum, just have a look about and see what interests you. The £10 free token you have can be used across any MTT. You can get deepstack ones for as little as a pound, or £2 bounty hunters. If you have any interesting hands post them up in your diary or in the poker clinic section and people will leave excellent feedback to help you improve. Most importantly have fun and dont take it to serioussly. All the best
    Posted by LARSON7
    Much appreciated

Thank you
  • edited June 2013
    Itmay be good to start on 60p or 1.10 DYM games then once you increase your limit then play cash,.

The one important factor is-----Enjoy it .

Good luck x
  • edited June 2013
    then i suggest you change site mate you will get no dreams on here only nightmares
    your small stack all in will lose to larger stack everytime
    you will never hit a gut shot but you will always lose to one on the river
    and when you hit the dogs b*****ks on the flop everyone will fold/but when someone else hits it by, shear luck you will have a hand to keep you intrested ,leave now mate  
  • edited June 2013
    Itmay be good to start on 60p or 1.10 DYM games then once you increase your limit then play cash,. The one important factor is-----Enjoy it . Good luck x
    Posted by est1967
    This might be a silly question...

What is DYM?? I havent come across that abbreviation (sorry if my question seems dumb :o( )
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : Thank you for the advice I have played cash games for about nine months and only now (on a 3rd party site) have started to run good and plug some leaks I have had in my play The problem is...I have no one to trade hands with. I could of said my Brother as he has been playing Poker longer than me but I think ive taken the mantlepiece of no.1 Poker player in the household. lol I think my bankroll might be too small for NL4 though  
    Posted by Tahtrizzle
    Possibly; I can polish off 5 buy ins before I've even got going at 4nl so £30 might be a bit light. If you were super disciplined and as tight as a ducks rear then it is possible to spin that up to a more playable amount. 

Have a look at some of the £1 deespstacks, should get a decent amount of play in them and if you can bink one then that would probably double your b/r.
  • edited June 2013
    A bankroll is the amount of money you have available to absorb the variance for the level at which you're playing. If you're playing cash then you want to be buying in for £4 assuming you start on 4NL (which you might not). This doesn't give you much leeway if you're playing 2-3 tables for a few hours.

However you don't have to pile cash into your account, and you say you have a good job that pays well. So notionally your bankroll is probably higher than £30. I'm not trying to patronise here at all, I'm only saying incase you lose a few stacks and get disheartened. There will be swings.

If cash is your preferred game I'd not start on DYMs, they play very differently and require a very different mindset.

Whatever you do, good luck with it.
  • edited June 2013
    DYM IS Double your money.
  • edited June 2013
    Soooooooo I played last night in a 4NL game and lost 0.55p. 

I was surprised at how wide peoples ranges are at this level and playing with anything A-x, K-x. etc.

Admittedly I did get drawn into playing a lot of marginal hands myself but should of been patient and play tight at the time. I would show my hand for the night however am having real trouble posting online. I have seen other people do it however im having trouble where its showing as text or a load of hyper links

Please can someone help me!!! I will consult the poker clinic also.

Todays plan is to read some diaries and so some poker studying

BR = £29.45
  • edited June 2013
    DYM IS Double your money.
    Posted by est1967
    thank you.

(I just google'd it. lol)
  • edited June 2013
    FINALLY!!

I think this should show up ok...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    lonesome Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.72
    Tahtrizzle Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £2.93
      Your hole cards

marco1961 Fold        
    NICEBARRY Call   £0.04 £0.10 £11.66
    lonesome Fold        
    Tahtrizzle Check        
    Flop

• J

Tahtrizzle Check        
    NICEBARRY Bet   £0.10 £0.20 £11.56
    Tahtrizzle Call   £0.10 £0.30 £2.83
    Turn

• Q

Tahtrizzle Check        
    NICEBARRY Bet   £0.23 £0.53 £11.33
    Tahtrizzle Call   £0.23 £0.76 £2.60
    River

Tahtrizzle Bet   £0.60 £1.36 £2.00
    NICEBARRY Call   £0.60 £1.96 £10.73
    Tahtrizzle Show

NICEBARRY Muck

Tahtrizzle Win Straight Flush to the Queen £1.81   £3.81
    I ended up changing the browser to Firefox and it works fine now.

So this was my hand of the evening. Nothing to spectactular. Was a bit of a calling station on this hand but was aware that could of been beaten by a Diamond higher than my 8.

Just glad hand posted for now.

• edited June 2013
    Unlucky on the cash tables there. Just keep playing ABC poker and you'll be showing a profit in no time!

As for the hand history, just copy and paste it into the comments box and when you post it, it will revert back to the table and not all the hyperlink stuff.

Hope that helps, and gl on the tables.
  • edited June 2013
    You'd only have  been beaten by the King of Diamonds to make a higher straight flush.
  • edited June 2013
    You'd only have  been beaten by the King of Diamonds to make a higher straight flush.
    Posted by FCHD
    very true.

Should of bet for value on the Turn (unless he wanted to rep the King)

Thanks though
  • edited June 2013
    If your new and have a small BR i'd reccommend trying 2-4 tabling 3.30 DYM's. I have an old diary on it here (http://bit.ly/192k8VI), you can build up a decent BR quickly with them at fairly low risk :)
  • edited June 2013
    Warning: only play dyms if you are a nit (apols to devon and the rest of you dym-ers)
    they are great low variance games but take a certain type of player
    if you like your moves then stick to mtt and cash
    glgl - means good luck by the way

• edited June 2013
    Welcome to the site trizzle.  Best of luck at the tables.
  • edited June 2013
    Probably just ship the lot on the river with that a*se end of the straight flush. Go for max value, you'd be surprised what will pay you off.
  • edited June 2013
    If your new and have a small BR i'd reccommend trying 2-4 tabling 3.30 DYM's. I have an old diary on it here ( http://bit.ly/192k8VI ), you can build up a decent BR quickly with them at fairly low risk :)
    Posted by cgoldie
    just had a read through...
    what a great result too.
    also, this happened just before I went on my DYM challenge last year,and at the time along with JohnConners
     challenge,was my inspiration, so thank you.

totally agree...great way to build a BR.
    :)
    dev

ps; oh yeah,went from 9 tables to 15/18 by the end.(21 being my max)
          (practise makes perfect...lol)
          when the new re-sizable tables arrive ,ha ha, going to have a go at trying to play 40 with-in a month.  lol
  • edited June 2013
    What a great thread title.

Never ever be checking that 86 flush, other hands will pay you off and Ad will pay to call.

All you need to know about 4nl is when you make a hand that is very likely to be leading at that time bet bet bet
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : just had a read through... what a great result too. also, this happened just before I went on my DYM challenge last year,and at the time along with JohnConners  challenge,was my inspiration, so thank you. totally agree...great way to build a BR. :) dev ps; oh yeah,went from 9 tables to 15/18 by the end.(21 being my max)       (practise makes perfect...lol)       when the new re-sizable tables arrive ,ha ha, going to have a go at trying to play 40 with-in a month.  lol
    Posted by devonfish5
    I'm sure I saw somebody write that the re-sizable tables were bigger than mini view tables.......so good luck with 40 tabling lol
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : I'm sure I saw somebody write that the re-sizable tables were bigger than mini view tables.......so good luck with 40 tabling lol
    Posted by waller02
    I thought that having re-sizable tables meant you could fit more on screen?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : I thought that having re-sizable tables meant you could fit more on screen?
    Posted by devonfish5
    I aint got a clue m8. Just saw somebody write that the re-sizeable ones were bigger than mini view, even when reduced to their smallest size
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : I aint got a clue m8. Just saw somebody write that the re-sizeable ones were bigger than mini view, even when reduced to their smallest size
    Posted by waller02
    aaaagh well, if that turns out to be the case than so be it.
    hope not though as i'd really enjoy the challenge of testing myself playing that many tables. 
    even if it was for just 1 day.  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : aaaagh well, if that turns out to be the case than so be it. hope not though as i'd really enjoy the challenge of testing myself playing that many tables.  even if it was for just 1 day.  lol (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    I reckon you could do it you nutter!!! :)
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : I thought that having re-sizable tables meant you could fit more on screen?
    Posted by devonfish5
    dev mate i'll pm you on this but its not good news so not to derail the thread