You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!!

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!!:
    Welcome to the site trizzle.  Best of luck at the tables.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thank you
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : Thank you
    Posted by Tahtrizzle
    yeah sorry to derail your thread slightly with the re-sizeable tables chat!

Gl m8
  • edited June 2013
    welcome tahtrizzle, have fun and good luck
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : yeah sorry to derail your thread slightly with the re-sizeable tables chat! Gl m8
    Posted by waller02
    me too,...sorry

:)
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    sooooooo from the advice given from some of my followers (thank you) I decided to give DYM a try last night. I only managed to play once plus Pokerstars was on Channel 4 so thought will give that a watch.

Anyway

For the DYM i played, I finish ITM to double from playing £3.30 to winning £6 which isn't bad at all.

I played again first thing this morning (currently of work on a few days holiday) finished in thew cash again so at the minute, im currently 2-0 with DYM.I wont count my chickens yet though. The trick is to be real nitty at the beggining then just open up enough to have a fairly large stack. Afterwards, let everyone else take each other out.

My highlight hand is as follows below:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DARWISH Small blind   15.00 15.00 2160.00
    wizball Big blind   30.00 45.00 1895.00
      Your hole cards

siberia Fold        
    Tahtrizzle Raise   90.00 135.00 1610.00
    mikeking Raise   180.00 315.00 1970.00
    gmcjh Call   180.00 495.00 1710.00
    DARWISH Fold        
    wizball Fold        
    Tahtrizzle Call   90.00 585.00 1520.00
    Flop

• K
    • A

Tahtrizzle Check        
    mikeking Bet   120.00 705.00 1850.00
    gmcjh Call   120.00 825.00 1590.00
    Tahtrizzle Call   120.00 945.00 1400.00
    Turn

Tahtrizzle Check        
    mikeking Bet   120.00 1065.00 1730.00
    gmcjh Call   120.00 1185.00 1470.00
    Tahtrizzle Raise   450.00 1635.00 950.00
    mikeking Raise   660.00 2295.00 1070.00
    gmcjh Call   660.00 2955.00 810.00
    Tahtrizzle All-in   950.00 3905.00 0.00
    mikeking Call   620.00 4525.00 450.00
    gmcjh All-in   810.00 5335.00 0.00
    mikeking Call   190.00 5525.00 260.00
    Tahtrizzle Show

mikeking Show
    • J
    • A

gmcjh Show
    • A

River

Tahtrizzle Win Three 8s 5145.00   5145.00
    mikeking Win Pair of Aces 380.00   640.00
    I will try and play more today by taking the little on to the Museum

BR = £41.64

• edited June 2013
    nice start playing DYM's

if you do decide to play more of them,then I would advise you to read JohnConners 'ABC of DYM's' blog.
    (I hope someone will post up link for you)
    it is well worth reading.
    you've got it,just about spot on...play tight early doors and open up later on.
    nice 88 hand above,but it should be a fold really pre-flop,as should all pairs up to KK or AA on the first 3-4 blind levels.(just a little tip...that's tight)lol

gl
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    nice start playing DYM's if you do decide to play more of them,then I would advise you to read JohnConners 'ABC of DYM's' blog. (I hope someone will post up link for you) it is well worth reading. you've got it,just about spot on...play tight early doors and open up later on. nice 88 hand above,but it should be a fold really pre-flop,as should all pairs up to KK or AA on the first 3-4 blind levels.(just a little tip...that's tight)lol gl :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Thanks.

I'm gonna try and find it.

Would be interested in knowing the secret (can I not just search DYM?)
  • edited June 2013
    MANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Had the craziest of mornings. Just after announcing my 2-0 record, I sucked out and lost two games on the spin. It wasnt due to tilt but more playing to aggro when there was just no need

(thats my free £10 goobled up! lol)

Anywho!

I have just played two more DYM's for the evening and have managed to cash on both.

BR = £43.75 (after sucking out to around £38.34 before)

I think its time to squeeze another game in before calling an end to the night.
  • edited June 2013
    Its been almost a week and I suppose your wondering how things are going?

Well...?

I HIT TILT!!! ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH

Ive been grinding the DYM to the point where I hit £50 however on Sunday have gone through such a rough patch that I feel someone has knocked all the stuffing out of me. I also played a freeroll tourney on Sunday but I honestly made 'freeness' look bad. Busted out early

IM NOT GIVING UP!!

I JUST NEED ASSISTANCE OR INSPIRATION ON HOW PEOPLE COPE WITH BAD BEATS!!

Im taking a break at the moment from Poker for a couple days and think properly through the bad hands I have played (and some coolers I have run into)

Think I will also read 'The Mental Game Of Poker' book also. Has anyone read this?

BR = £39.10

• edited June 2013
    Hi
    I had a break from the DYM's for a bit last week and played some PLO8 just to get my mind in a different place.

Played some DYM's again yesterday and cashed in 10/13.

Good luck
  • edited June 2013
    Its been almost a week and I suppose your wondering how things are going? Well...? I HIT TILT!!! ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH Ive been grinding the DYM to the point where I hit £50 however on Sunday have gone through such a rough patch that I feel someone has knocked all the stuffing out of me. I also played a freeroll tourney on Sunday but I honestly made 'freeness' look bad. Busted out early IM NOT GIVING UP!! I JUST NEED ASSISTANCE OR INSPIRATION ON HOW PEOPLE COPE WITH BAD BEATS!! Im taking a break at the moment from Poker for a couple days and think properly through the bad hands I have played (and some coolers I have run into) Think I will also read 'The Mental Game Of Poker' book also. Has anyone read this? BR = £39.10
    Posted by Tahtrizzle
    hi mate,

nothing you can do about getting bad beats,so you just have to play through them.(if you have played the hand ok and would do the same again,then don't worry to much about it.if there is some bad/loose play involved then try and correct it next time).
    I always play less poker and depending on my b/roll at the time,usually drop down levels,(especially when playing dym's.
    funny thing is though when these bad runs,etc,come along I find playing less tables at cash better but playing more tables at dym better as this helps with the variance.
    how many tables are you able to play?
    just checked back..2-3  ok for cash. more needed to play dym's more effectively,imo.

play freerolls the same as any other tournament,as you can help build your b/roll for free by cashing in them.

I am reading 'the mental game of poker' atm.
    not sure if it's all above my mentality, lol. but i'm trying to take some of it in.
    gl with it.

dev
  • edited June 2013
    From your "max" of £50 to the point of the last post at £39.10 is less than 4 buy-ins at £3.30 DYMs.

While these are a low variance form of poker, you will have runs where you are 4 tournaments down quite regularly. Don't treat this run as a particularly "rough patch", if it gets to 9 or 10 then yes but where you are is well within the normal parameters of swings and roundabouts (to mix my metaphors)
  • edited September 2013
    t was the 17.06.2013. I uttered the words 'I HIT TILT!!! ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH' then the post became no more...the Apple MacBook almost got a left hook Mike Tyson would of been proud of.

...but I held it together. 

It can become very disheartening when you hit tilt. You respect that it is part of the game but when you feel you run bad more than you run good, it can mess you about questioning whether you got what it takes to be a profitable as a player. 

Many of my leaks I feel come from cash games. I have these moments where I deliberate to myself and ask...

"Am I better at cash games or MTTs"

I like the pots that can be won playing cash but hate the bad beats. MTTs the same but I find them very enjoyable although saying that cash games I feel installs a certain disciplines in yourself making you a better tourney player. 

Since that last post, I've steered clear from sky poker for a bit (not poker altogether) I don't think I had the right mentality to continue. I still kept up to date with the forums; it's the main thing which I like about this site as well as the games. It's funny because you read some blogs of people who have taken a break from sky poker to play elsewhere but they always come back and now the same is happening with myself. 

Glad to be back though and give this one serious push. I've studied the game to long to just quit now.

Over the past few months since last playing PROPERLY on Sky Poker, I've found myself on PS playing (it is harder but have become accustomed to the dynamics of playing here) studying where I can and also watching training video's. I feel one of my major leaks other than tilt is not having someone other than myself to review my hands to determine whether I followed a good line, extracted maximum value from my hand or even if a plain and simple fold was all what was needed. I would ask my brother but his Poker playing has dried up lately since working some serious hours down Canary Wharf (he used to play a lot more than myself and drew my inspiration from him to be a good player)

When on the tube, I always try to put in the groundwork where I can. The main book I'm reading at the minute are

- The mental game of poker: this is one of my most important books at the moment to aid in minimising Tilt. I don't feel it can be totally eradicated but at least knowing how to control and acknowledge I'm tilting helps in remaining profitable. 

Other books include:

- Secrets of professional tournament poker vol.3
    - sit and go strategy by Collin moshman

I'm not expecting miracles from reading these books but one thing I have taken from this game is that 'knowledge is POWER'. I really feel what will aid in my game more is being critiqued on hands played whether good or bad to understand what your trying to achieve. Hands before which I posted show of wins even though the losses are far more important to learn from them

Anyway. Enough of the background waffle and down to the nitty gritty. What are the aims this time...

THE PLAN
    =========

I'm now going to be starting with an £80 bankroll and will be focussing my plays mainly through MTTs, DYMs SATs into bigger tournaments as well as some freerolls. I signed up to Sharkscope and have noticed how some forum regs have profited in fine tuning their game continuously (I do particularly like 'gazza127' blog) I can relate to some of the bad beats/coolers he has suffered but respect the work he has put into his game and the results show. 

I cannot forget also f_ivanovic. A joy to read. Another great blog. 

Generally my play is always gonna be on Tuesday night and Sunday nights. The balance of work, family and Poker can be extremely difficult however nothing is impossible and where I want to succeed with all three (a couple of the things carrying more priority over the other)I am sure I will prevail at the end with plenty of hard work studying and grinding. 

Overall goal
    ========

I want to improve my overall game. I can easily put a monetary value and say 'I wanna make this much' or 'I wanna be a millionaire in a year' as far as I see it, if I focus on my game, the results will come. 

I will be posting my BR amount after sessions as it will still be my indicator on how I'm doing. The main thing is that I play 'good, strong, fearless Poker!'

Monthly goals
    ==========

I figured it best to take one step at a time in achieving goals so for the month of September the aims are.

- post hands good/bad for review
    - play some dym, MTTs. 

I wanna play my normal game based on my playing ability and what I've learnt over time. My main focus comes from critiquing my play and where I can plug up holes in my game. 

I hope I haven't bored you half to death. I will be giving this a real go!!

• edited September 2013
    Day one has officially begun in the poker road to success (well the re-visited road anyway)

Life I find can have such an effect on you especially when you got Poker brewing in your brain somewhere. I woke up yesterday morning anticipating this evening. I wanted to have a decent evening and stick to my goals for September; slowly re-adjusting as months follow.

Finishing work, I have the mammoth task of travelling through London to get home and be that responsible father until the little one sleeps. Now keep in mind my focus is to play a good game of poker however it's not a good look if you have hit TILT already from your Daughter playing up with her food before bedtime and being a general nuisance under your feet. Following your every move, playing hide and seek, wanting to watch cloudbabies at any given opportunity ( hope to god it's not just me who suffers this) wouldn't change it for the world. She's my baby girl an I love her to bits!

I had a task that evening. Feed and clean little one, put her to bed and tidy a bit before 08:30pm when the £2k Mini Turbo BH began. Managing to do it with minutes to spare, I entered the mini event eating into my £80 BR. I was slightly apprehensive in doing it at the beginning but as I planned to stay up for the long haul, I just went for it...

Who said to do that ehhh...

Within 55 minutes, I was knocked out (I won't post hands until afterwards. Just wanted to fill you in on my journey)

BR:£74.50

See this is my thing, I've played on other Poker sites and I good percentage of the time, I can at least say I've hit the flop in some way. On sky poker, I hardly hit the flop with my per-flop hands. I'm not trying to be controversial in how sky poker is ran. Not at all. I just found when the post-flop cards came down, I sometimes felt obliged to bluff the pot sometimes rather than just fold and await another spot but what do you do when you are drawing card dead. How do you overcome it? Do you just make your own luck?

After being knocked out admittedly not playing my A-game I thought to go and play some Dyms. Now whilst I hit a rough patch with the turbo mini, the ring rust certainly showed playing dym. Having played 5 dyms, I only cashed on one for £1.75. The rest were an epic fail

£5.50 dym = FAIL!!
    £1.75 dym = SUCCESS!!
    £2.25 dym = FAIL!!
    £2.25 dym = FAIL!!
    £2.25 dym = FAIL!!

BR: £66.94 (approx)

With almost a quarter of my bankroll gone, lacking the discipline to turn it around, I dug deep into my Poker locker. You really need your head screwed on to succeed in poker and even then, it's not a guarantee. I thought to give it one more try. Conjure my inner feelings of all the studying done and make this buy in work to my favour.

...you wouldn't guess what...

I TOOK DOWN THE £600 B/HUNTER WINNING £115.59!!!!

So chuffed with taking down tournament as know I am capable (when I put my mind to it) I really do need to strengthen my mental game. I will be putting up specific hands which I won/Loss. I would love your feedback

New BR: £182.83

• edited September 2013
    Very well played sir. Gives you a bit of bankroll leeway now and takes the immediate pressure off.
  • edited September 2013
    I was just going to mention that your br wasn't good for the 3.30DYM's as it doesn't give you much scope for the down swings.. But after reading the end of your post about crushing the BH i won't bother.

Well done and love this diary keep up the good work

Jamie
  • edited September 2013
    I was just going to mention that your nr wasn't good for the 3.30DYM's as it doesn't give you much scope for the down swings.. But after reading the end of your post about crushing the BH i won't bother. Well done and love this diary keep up the good work Jamie
    Posted by limmy01
    I admit. I did lace my running boots a bit quickly. 

The BH helped a lot. Will be more disciplined now tho

Thanks for the congrats
  • edited September 2013
    Very well played sir. Gives you a bit of bankroll leeway now and takes the immediate pressure off.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I agree. Couldn't ask for better start. Still will keep my game grounded
  • edited September 2013
    Great result on the Bounty Hunter.

One bit of adivce (I may sound like a hypocrit now if you read my diary) - you need to watch your BR.  Don't go entering bigger tournaments trying to chase money if things aren't going great in the future.  You've got a suitable BR to enter £3.30/£5.50 DYMs and £5.50 tournaments but I wouldn't be straying into the £11 games as of yet.  Trust me - its no fun when you hit a swing and end up almost going broke with the added pressure of having a forum thread.  I sometimes found myself playing just so I could say on my thread that I was making money.  I think its important you avoid doing this - it would have saved me a lot of time and money.  Treat the diary as more of an outlet/learning tool rather than something youre going to get judged on and you'll be much better for it.

Good luck with this.  I will be reading with interest.

• edited September 2013
    Great result on the Bounty Hunter. One bit of adivce (I may sound like a hypocrit now if you read my diary) - you need to watch your BR.  Don't go entering bigger tournaments trying to chase money if things aren't going great in the future.  You've got a suitable BR to enter £3.30/£5.50 DYMs and £5.50 tournaments but I wouldn't be straying into the £11 games as of yet.  Trust me - its no fun when you hit a swing and end up almost going broke with the added pressure of having a forum thread.  I sometimes found myself playing just so I could say on my thread that I was making money.  I think its important you avoid doing this - it would have saved me a lot of time and money.  Treat the diary as more of an outlet/learning tool rather than something youre going to get judged on and you'll be much better for it. Good luck with this.  I will be reading with interest.
    Posted by gazza127
    I cannot believe what I have just read!
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : I cannot believe what I have just read!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

;)

Sound advice.  What i went through was no fun. lol.
  • edited September 2013
    Below are some of the hands from last night which you can give your opinion on

1) This first hand. Feel it was a fold on the Turn. Glad the Poker Gods stuck with me though (what is it with Aces always dropping on the River? Or is it me?
    BrayCorp83 Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 86889.50
    Tahtrizzle Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 174110.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

BrayCorp83 Call   3000.00 12000.00 83889.50
    Tahtrizzle Check        
    Flop

Tahtrizzle Check        
    BrayCorp83 Bet   12000.00 24000.00 71889.50
    Tahtrizzle Call   12000.00 36000.00 162110.50
    Turn

Tahtrizzle Bet   12000.00 48000.00 150110.50
    BrayCorp83 All-in   71889.50 119889.50 0.00
    Tahtrizzle Call   59889.50 179779.00 90221.00
    BrayCorp83 Show
    • K

Tahtrizzle Show
    • A

River

• A

Tahtrizzle Win Two Pairs, Aces and 4s 179779.00   270000.00
  • edited September 2013
    2) This was my bluff hand. Admittedly I didnt bluff much throughout the Tourney but had an urge to do it in this spot. Could of ended bad

Would you as a player consider a bluff...or just fold?
    Tahtrizzle Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 138110.50
    BrayCorp83 Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 122889.50
      Your hole cards

Tahtrizzle Call   3000.00 12000.00 135110.50
    BrayCorp83 Raise   12000.00 24000.00 110889.50
    Tahtrizzle Call   12000.00 36000.00 123110.50
    Flop

• K
    • J

BrayCorp83 Bet   27000.00 63000.00 83889.50
    Tahtrizzle Call   27000.00 90000.00 96110.50
    Turn

• A

BrayCorp83 Check        
    Tahtrizzle Bet   48000.00 138000.00 48110.50
    BrayCorp83 Fold        
    Tahtrizzle Muck        
    Tahtrizzle Win   90000.00   138110.50
    Tahtrizzle Return   48000.00 0.00 186110.50
  • edited September 2013
    3) Biggest losing hand of the evening. I pre-flop raised assuming I would take the pot.

Didn't think would have the Set. Thought was being bluffed
    Pedrom9 Small blind   1250.00 1250.00 70964.50
    BrayCorp83 Big blind   2500.00 3750.00 42741.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

Tahtrizzle Raise   8000.00 11750.00 122088.00
    Shrewster Fold        
    Pedrom9 Fold        
    BrayCorp83 Call   5500.00 17250.00 37241.50
    Flop

BrayCorp83 Check        
    Tahtrizzle Bet   10000.00 27250.00 112088.00
    BrayCorp83 All-in   37241.50 64491.50 0.00
    Tahtrizzle Call   27241.50 91733.00 84846.50
    BrayCorp83 Show

Tahtrizzle Show
    • A

Turn

River

BrayCorp83 Win Full House, 3s and 9s 91733.00   91733.00
  • edited September 2013
    Will give you my 2 cents in just a minute.
  • edited September 2013
    Will give you my 2 cents in just a minute.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Why give your whole BR??  Seems a bit generous ;)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Waking up from REALITY to CHASE MY DREAMS!! : Why give your whole BR??  Seems a bit generous ;)
    Posted by gazza127
    Like a dagger to the heart.
  • edited September 2013
    Hand 1....if villain is always limping then I'm pumping up the A high pre there. As played, I don't think we should even be calling the full pot bet on flop. Certainly not calling off the shove on the turn.

Hand 2...Fair play for taking villain off their hand, but this isn't generally a great play. Should be raising that button with 78h. That flop smashes their raising range. I suppose you rep the A on the turn but with the stack sizes involved its way too risky I feel. You could get jammed on there so many times and you'll have to fold and leave yourself very short.

Hand 3...No need to open raise so much, min raise this late in the day is fine. After getting resistance in the blind after such a huge raise, I'm not putting another chip in this pot. Even if they are jamming a flush draw (only hand we beat really), they are likely to have 2 live cards and thus a slight favourite. Min raise, 33 probs still calls so pot will be about 12.5k. Then we can c/bet maybe 5/6k or so and fold to the jam without risking more chips than we had to.
  • edited September 2013
    I almost never managed to play any Poker this evening as the Missus had the MacBook. I am so anticipating the Sky Poker app on the iPad. Anyone got any idea's when the software is coming over?

I will keep this post short and sweet and include some exemple hands also.

This evening have managed to play three £1.10 along with a £0.60p DYM. I suppose I could play higher stakes in DYM's but at the minute, im taking everything step by step as I am also doing some reading/studying.

I managed to double on the £1.10 dym's however on the £0.60p one, unfortunately no success. Aint a thing though as was satisfied with the previous results.

I wont show any hands from playing DYMs as there is such a regimented way of actually playing. Lots of limps when playin
    g although the aim is to keep your hands tight (does seem a major hustle though when playing for the good part of an hour)

I decided to play a £1.10 6-max this evening. The table seemed quite soft however I can admit was very lucky to come 1st...won't complain though. Some of the bad beats which I have suffered, I deserve some good fortune.

BR: £187.58

• edited September 2013
    Here are a couple hands to come from the 6-max game played this evening
    irishaidy Small blind   50.00 50.00 660.00
    Tahtrizzle Big blind   100.00 150.00 1635.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

kev693 Fold        
    chino-kez Call   100.00 250.00 2070.00
    lozzzaberr Call   100.00 350.00 2020.00
    irishaidy Call   50.00 400.00 610.00
    Tahtrizzle Check        
    Flop

• A

irishaidy Check        
    Tahtrizzle Bet   100.00 500.00 1535.00
    chino-kez Fold        
    lozzzaberr Call   100.00 600.00 1920.00
    irishaidy Fold        
    Turn

Tahtrizzle Bet   150.00 750.00 1385.00
    lozzzaberr Call   150.00 900.00 1770.00
    River

Tahtrizzle Check        
    lozzzaberr All-in   1770.00 2670.00 0.00
    Tahtrizzle Fold        
    lozzzaberr Muck        
    lozzzaberr Win   900.00   900.00
    lozzzaberr Return   1770.00 0.00 2670.00
    I was facing a flush draw and im sure that was the main problem in this hand. I threw out a feeler bet to see where I stood in the hand. Come the turn I was still a bit weary of the board texture but raised quite small. Would I of been better in check/folding at this time?

Once the River dropped and the All-in bet came, I knew then my pair wouldnt hold up.

2)

This was probably my best hand for the night. Looks like was chasing the Ace-high hand even though donk-betting the flop
    irishaidy Small blind   75.00 75.00 1245.00
    Tahtrizzle Big blind   150.00 225.00 1185.00
      Your hole cards

kev693 Fold        
    chino-kez Fold        
    lozzzaberr Call   150.00 375.00 2270.00
    irishaidy Call   75.00 450.00 1170.00
    Tahtrizzle Check        
    Flop

• Q
    • Q