You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New female tourneys

Comments

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys:
    This is such a bad idea. js.
    Posted by Smitalos
    why do you feel this is?
  • edited July 2013
    Couldn't a winning Male player just start a new account using his Wife's/Girlfriends details and card. Then start playing the female tournaments?
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : why do you feel this is?
    Posted by Batkin88

I’ll try my best to do it in cliff-note-esque form, instead of the usual drab 10page essay, just for ease (and b/c I’m tired as fook and desperately need some dindins).

1)     - In other sports/games, mainly due to our biology, men have an inherent advantage over women (athletically anyway). We don’t have that problem in poker (it being a mind-game, where each sex is on a level playing field). So on the point of ‘natural ability’, or whatever you want to call it, we don’t have that issue there.

2)     - If people want to create ‘women only’ games, whereby men are held back from playing due to no fault of their own, where do you draw the line? What about age-limited tourneys, or ethnic-specific events? The minute you decide to exclude people, you’re creating problems. If you’re for the motion, you need to ask yourself WHY you believe that we need women-only games in poker, and what benefit they can have on the poker economy, not just for those taking part. These games should benefit both the IN-group, AND the out-group.

3)     - If for example you said, “we want to encourage new female players to give poker a shot”, then aren’t you advertising these games directly to women who would want to try poker, but just don’t want to play against men? Does that not seem a little crazy, to you? You’d accomplish the same, and THEN some by advertising ‘Rookies only’ games. Where new players can get their feet wet without feeling intimidated by the more experienced players. Isn’t that typically a big part of ones’ argument for trying to get women to try poker? Why stop there? Advertise to men and women, old and young, of all backgrounds and ethnicities.

4)     - In an age of equal rights and the erosion of social norms, this would only serve to build yet more barriers, dividing people. If women want equal rights (and who doesn’t, right?) then there can’t be any hypocritical double-standard when they want to sit down and play a game they enjoy.

…By segregating the sexes, you’re only drawing attention to a fabricated social stigma that men and women are different. That in some cases, they need to be separated (for the ‘greater good’).

(which brings up another problematic topic of ‘subjective greater good’, yatta yatta yatta)

If you’re lobbying for the separation of men and women in a game that you like to play, because you’d have a more comfortable experience around those of the same sex, the problem is with you. The rest of us shouldn’t be discriminated against because you’re uncomfortable hanging around people that have bigger muscles, or some junk between their legs. You need to challenge your own feelings and opinions of social situations involving the opposite sex, or heck, maybe you've just been hanging around with an awfully dire set of people of a different gender. Either way, it’s a prejudice, backwards, 20th century attitude that needs to freakin' die already.

EDIT: Fml on my attempt at cliff-notage. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gg

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys :   I’ll try my best to do it in cliff-note-esque form, instead of the usual drab 10page essay, just for ease (and b/c I’m tired as fook and desperately need some dindins).   1)      - In other sports/games, mainly due to our biology, men have an inherent advantage over women (athletically anyway). We don’t have that problem in poker (it being a mind-game, where each sex is on a level playing field). So on the point of ‘natural ability’, or whatever you want to call it, we don’t have that issue there.   2)      - If people want to create ‘women only’ games, whereby men are held back from playing due to no fault of their own, where do you draw the line? What about age-limited tourneys, or ethnic-specific events? The minute you decide to exclude people, you’re creating problems. If you’re for the motion, you need to ask yourself WHY you believe that we need women-only games in poker, and what benefit they can have on the poker economy, not just for those taking part. These games should benefit both the IN-group, AND the out-group.   3)      - If for example you said, “we want to encourage new female players to give poker a shot”, then aren’t you advertising these games directly to women who would want to try poker, but just don’t want to play against men? Does that not seem a little crazy, to you? You’d accomplish the same, and THEN some by advertising ‘Rookies only’ games. Where new players can get their feet wet without feeling intimidated by the more experienced players. Isn’t that typically a big part of ones’ argument for trying to get women to try poker? Why stop there? Advertise to men and women, old and young, of all backgrounds and ethnicities.   4)      - In an age of equal rights and the erosion of social norms, this would only serve to build yet more barriers, dividing people. If women want equal rights (and who doesn’t, right?) then there can’t be any hypocritical double-standard when they want to sit down and play a game they enjoy.   …By segregating the sexes, you’re only drawing attention to a fabricated social stigma that men and women are different. That in some cases, they need to be separated (for the ‘greater good’). (which brings up another problematic topic of ‘subjective greater good’, yatta yatta yatta) If you’re lobbying for the separation of men and women in a game that you like to play, because you’d have a more comfortable experience around those of the same sex, the problem is with you. The rest of us shouldn’t be discriminated against because you’re uncomfortable hanging around people that have bigger muscles, or some junk between their legs. You need to challenge your own feelings and opinions of social situations involving the opposite sex, or heck, maybe you've just been hanging around with an awfully dire set of people of a different gender. Either way, it’s a prejudice, backwards, 20 th century attitude that needs to freakin' die already.       EDIT: Fml on my attempt at cliff-notage. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gg
    Posted by Smitalos

Wow slightly over the top, it isn't sexist first of all it is the same as the major sites advertising European only or UK only. It is there to attract customers from all areas.

I am more than comfortable playing poker with anyone that is not the point I was trying to make, but as per usual there is also a complete jobs worth who takes everything as a direct insult.

Isn't there a female WSOOP event and an over 50 one? Not 100% but I have heard something along these lines from somewhere.

This thread is not intended to alienate players but to bring more in for specific reasons, if this attracts just 1 new player then surely that's good yes?

I understand your issues but I feel you have gone well over the top, also the last bolded paragraph is just childish and immature. How about have a female only tournament to attract new customers and then a male only one?

Also from this point onwards can you stop smashing your keyboard like a caveman and making childish remarks to make you feel better about yourself and remember this is a forum where you can express your side in a more adult like manner like others have prior to you.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : Wow slightly over the top, it isn't sexist first of all it is the same as the major sites advertising European only or UK only. It is there to attract customers from all areas. I am more than comfortable playing poker with anyone that is not the point I was trying to make, but as per usual there is also a complete jobs worth who takes everything as a direct insult. Isn't there a female WSOOP event and an over 50 one? Not 100% but I have heard something along these lines from somewhere. This thread is not intended to alienate players but to bring more in for specific reasons, if this attracts just 1 new player then surely that's good yes? I understand your issues but I feel you have gone well over the top, also the last bolded paragraph is just childish and immature. How about have a female only tournament to attract new customers and then a male only one? Also from this point onwards can you stop smashing your keyboard like a caveman and making childish remarks to make you feel better about yourself and remember this is a forum where you can express your side in a more adult like manner like others have prior to you.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Will edit this into a reply later. Just saving your post, hunnybun <3
  • edited July 2013
    I have reflected at how this may come across, I did not mean this as a discriminative thing towards men. I just genuinely thought it would be a good way of getting more female players in. I don't want to read post like the last one so I retract the entire thing and apologise to anyone I offended.
  • edited July 2013
    Just PM me and don't be derogatory that is also childish. I am happy to talk/debate but not argue/insult as I have the ability to exercise my views without insulting someone else from behind a PC monitor.
  • edited July 2013

Thread has gone out of control.

Ladies MTTs are fine, where there is a demand for them and where they will be successful.

WSOP is an example of where it works (check the numbers)

Sky Poker is an example of a place where it wont work. Right now. (check the numbers)

Any discussion beyond that about discrimination/sexism etc is just pointless, a waste of time :)
  • edited July 2013
    Just PM me and don't be derogatory that is also childish. I am happy to talk/debate but not argue/insult as I have the ability to exercise my views without insulting someone else from behind a PC monitor.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Patronising someone with condescending posts, along with undermining thier intelligence is something you're allowed to do from behind the PC, then?

Equal rights topics like these deserve to be public. Anything you want to say to me, just say it here, s'all good.
  • edited July 2013
    Thread has gone out of control. Ladies MTTs are fine, where there is a demand for them and where they will be successful. WSOP is an example of where it works (check the numbers) Sky Poker is an example of a place where it wont work. Right now. (check the numbers) Any discussion beyond that about discrimination/sexism etc is just pointless, a waste of time :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    JJ, I love ya man, and just putting this out there, but...

"When you keep sitting on the fence, you eventually get splinters in your @rse"

Can you please point out there this thread went "out of control"? (in your opinion anyway)

I'd also argue the exact opposite, RE:
    "Any discussion beyond that about discrimination/sexism etc is just pointless, a waste of time :)"

If anything, debating social sexism, how we deal with discrimination, intolerating the intolerant, or other equal rights issues...
    is WAY more important than whether we should introduce a new MTT set-up on a fairly unknown site.

Ya know, i'mma jus' sayin'
  • edited July 2013

This is a poker chat room, KEY WORD = POKER! You have twisted this and blown it well out of proportion. I agree with what you are saying, I don't want it to come across the way you feel it is. If it does then apologies as stated in a prior post. I was merely looking at ways of getting more new players in, I saw that this is something other sites are doing but this is not and thought it was a good idea to put it out there. Again apologies for you taking it the wrong way but I am assuming you enjoy a good argument online hence your previous posts.

Also this is not an equal rights topic.

• edited July 2013
    Can of worms anyone?
  • edited July 2013

Was getting into a batkini v Smitalos war of words.

"Which, yer know, I love......."   (but so do 'some' mods as it's a ready made 'potentially awkward thread' closure excuse)

"Well. I'm angry. And not because I'm in it, but because it degrades women, which I hate. And the culprit, whoever he is, is in this room. Or she, it could be a woman. Women are as filthy as men. Not naming any names - I don't know any - but women... are... dirty"

http://facedl.com/fvideo.php?f=onqoeqiieaxa&david-brent-hates-sexism
  • edited July 2013
    How would one determine a male and female? Most female avatars are male! I think its a good idea though.

Ger
  • edited July 2013
    This is a poker chat room, KEY WORD = POKER! You have twisted this and blown it well out of proportion. I agree with what you are saying, I don't want it to come across the way you feel it is. If it does then apologies as stated in a prior post. I was merely looking at ways of getting more new players in, I saw that this is something other sites are doing but this is not and thought it was a good idea to put it out there. Again apologies for you taking it the wrong way but I am assuming you enjoy a good argument online hence your previous posts. Also this is not an equal rights topic.
    Posted by Batkin88
    "Apologies for you taking it the wrong way"
    Excellent self-promoter.

"Also this is not an equal rights topic."
    Yes, it is. This is the problem.

Women only tourneys discriminate against those that arn't women. Your only retort that I've been able to make out, is the one regarding "encouraging new players to try poker", which I argued against in my post, and explained why that reason isn't valid. If you could debate some of the issues I brought up in my lengthy post regarding the ethical problems with XXX-only games, I'd greatly appreciate it. Nowhere in that post, or any subsequent one, have I personally attacked or insulted you.

If you want to get personally attached to your beliefs and opinions, be my guest. Personally, I try to favour a detachment from all emotion when debating. And, any flaw you see in my arguments, I welcome GREATLY, for that's how we improve as individuals. Just because I try to expose flaws in your arguments, does not mean that it has to get personal, or that it is an attack on you in any way whatsoever.

If you feel that my lengthy post made on page 2 is in any way a personal attack at you, then debating topics like this on the forum shouldn't be what you spend your free-time doing. I'm desperately trying to challenge your stance on why your favour the motion addressed in OP, and get to the root of your reasons as to why you believe it. Your passive-aggressive posts do nothing but alienate those begging for an informed discussion.

Instead of replying to the points I made, and why they are flawed or incorrect, you've taken it upon yourself to neglect all discussion with my altogether in favour of a "Who can reach the moral high-ground first", slanging match. One of which, I don't wish to partake in.

Take a breather, have a cuppa, and then come back and kick my huge (but still rather sexy) @ss on WHY I'm wrong, and WHY you're of the opinion you are.
  • edited July 2013
    How would one determine a male and female? Most female avatars are male! I think its a good idea though. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Pics or gtfo :D
  • edited July 2013
    i think you should just try it, you never know til you try.
    Who knows it might be a massive success.....

iv always liked a bit of girl on girl action
  • edited July 2013
    Mr Smitalos

You're forever jumping on threads which are not exclusively about poker.
    Now you want to discuss equal rights in "poker chat" :)
  • edited July 2013
    Was getting into a batkini v Smitalos war of words. "Which, yer know, I love......." "Well. I'm angry. And not because I'm in it, but because it degrades women, which I hate. And the culprit, whoever he is, is in this room. Or she, it could be a woman. Women are as filthy as men. Not naming any names - I don't know any - but women... are... dirty" http://facedl.com/fvideo.php?f=onqoeqiieaxa&david-brent-hates-sexism
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not at all matey. All I've tried to do itt is engage people in the discussion itt, and at the very least, play devils advocate as to why the idea suggested may not be all 'dandelions and butterflies'.

None of my posts were personal attacks at batkini, and I'd encourage people here to go back and try and find for themselves where this thread went 'awry'.

I'm trying to wage a war on what's considered 'normal', and challenge peoples' preconceptions, in a sea of posters who either whack in a few words, or a +1 on the topic....
    OR those that think that any intellectual battle of ideals is somehow too hot for the forum to handle, jeering different unfamilar new ideas because it makes them feel uncomfortable, or as if it's a personal attack on them if someone tries to tweak their opinions, relieved when a mod comes in and closes the thread before any genuine discussion takes place.

You guys wanna talk about how cute the new royal baby is all damn day, be my guest. But to villianise someone promoting active discussion and debate between conflicting ideas, is absolutely outrageous.

imo.

Love you JJ.
  • edited July 2013
    You do both realise her name isn't Batkini, right? lol
  • edited July 2013
    Mr Smitalos You're forever jumping on threads which are not exclusively about poker. Now you want to discuss equal rights in "poker chat" :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Thank you sir.

It makes me glad that my dedication to spreading reason and logic in this forum has been noted. tyvm :)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : Not at all matey. All I've tried to do itt is engage people in the discussion itt, and at the very least, play devils advocate as to why the idea suggested may not be all 'dandelions and butterflies'. None of my posts were personal attacks at batkini, and I'd encourage people here to go back and try and find for themselves where this thread went 'awry'. I'm trying to wage a war on what's considered 'normal', and challenge peoples' preconceptions, in a sea of posters who either whack in a few words, or a +1 on the topic.... OR those that think that any intellectual battle of ideals is somehow too hot for the forum to handle, jeering different unfamilar new ideas because it makes them feel uncomfortable, or as if it's a personal attack on them if someone tries to tweak their opinions, relieved when a mod comes in and closes the thread before any genuine discussion takes place. You guys wanna talk about how cute the new royal baby is all damn day, be my guest. But to villianise someone promoting active discussion and debate between conflicting ideas, is absolutely outrageous. imo. Love you JJ.
    Posted by Smitalos
    This is your first post, it was only when I asked you to expain your point did you start talking absolute waffle

"This is such a bad idea. js"

Hypocrite springs to mind
  • edited July 2013
    You do both realise her name isn't Batkini, right? lol
    Posted by Lambert180
    And my name isn't really;

Carl
    Smit
    Smitty
    Smitalol
    Fishcake
    Spewy mong
    Luckbox
    Arrogant snidey little sh1 t

But for ease, I respond to all of the above. It's simpler that way :P Nicknames ftw Lamby
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : And my name isn't really; Carl Smit Smitty Smitalol Fishcake Spewy mong Luckbox Arrogant snidey little sh1 t But for ease, I respond to all of the above. It's simpler that way :P Nicknames ftw Lamby
    Posted by Smitalos
    lol, what is it??? I thought Carl was your name!!!!

This is why you need to keep the vlog going, to answer these kind of viewer questions!!!!!
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : lol, what is it??? I thought Carl was your name!!!! This is why you need to keep the vlog going, to answer these kind of viewer questions!!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : This is your first post, it was only when I asked you to expain your point did you start talking absolute waffle "This is such a bad idea. js"   Hypocrite springs to mind
    Posted by Batkin88
    Sample size plz.
    Instead of debating the topic at hand, you've resorted to personal attacks, that are fwiw, pretty baseless.
    I could bet you that out of everyone in this forum, I'm in the top 3 when it comes to the 'Average length of posts'.

2 insults in the space of as many lines. You're only emphasising my point about you reacting on an emotional level. :/

Can we please discuss the topic at hand, or do we have to waste our time on ultimately pointless posts like this. We get it, you pointed out 1 post where I didn't post a 1000 word essay replying to OP. I would have hoped you wouldn't take my example so literally.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : The point is to attract more customers, new players will be of a lower standard so it isn't a level playing field and some just want to play in a friendly comp. The same as free rolls but targeting a niche in a market.
    Posted by Batkin88

I agree there is a market for it where women would probably find it better live to play in women only games. Merely because of the somewhat horrible men that may sit around the table with their ego and aggro mouthy stuff that goes on.

But I do not agree the women are at a low skill level overall and to assume that is somewhat patronising.

Your sex does not mean your going to good or bad. Everyone starts at the same level.

If we are talking about "how do we get more women into the game" well I don't think the answer is to isolate them away from horrible men. Espcially online where you have no idea if the person is a man or women.

It just sounds like to me that your advocatin starting a tourny where only weak players can play each other.
    And if you a stroung player and a female then your going to clean up.

seems a bit self serving

• edited July 2013
    How would one determine a male and female? Most female avatars are male! I think its a good idea though. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    mine is a female avatar, i am all womam,40dd paige xxx
  • edited July 2013
    Rather than a regular tourney why not have a battle of the sexes promotion
    same format as all the recent promotions Donttellmum has won, except top twenty lads play the top twenty ladies Heads up for the cash.
    Mind if dtlm's mum plays he'll have to come out of the closet cos the secret will be out lol
  • edited July 2013
    and why have you not added me as a friend,DUNMIDOSH, I SENT THE REQUEST 3 DAYS AGO :):):) XXX