You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New female tourneys

Comments

• edited July 2013

ask sky to set up an women invite only tourney to take place in say 4 weeks time with a low buyin.  Ask sky if they could possibly send an email to all women who are signed up to the promo emails across all of sky products ie bingo/bet and see what sort of turn out you get.

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys:
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : I agree there is a market for it where women would probably find it better live to play in women only games. Merely because of the somewhat horrible men that may sit around the table with their ego and aggro mouthy stuff that goes on. But I do not agree the women are at a low skill level overall and to assume that is somewhat patronising. Your sex does not mean your going to good or bad. Everyone starts at the same level. If we are talking about "how do we get more women into the game" well I don't think the answer is to isolate them away from horrible men. Espcially online where you have no idea if the person is a man or women. It just sounds like to me that your advocatin starting a tourny where only weak players can play each other. And if you a stroung player and a female then your going to clean up. seems a bit self serving
    Posted by rancid
    you've nailed all the points I was thinking when reading this thread
  • edited July 2013
    ask sky to set up an women invite only tourney to take place in say 4 weeks time with a low buyin.  Ask sky if they could possibly send an email to all women who are signed up to the promo emails across all of sky products ie bingo/bet and see what sort of turn out you get.
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    A VERY GOOD IDEA, I WOULD PLAY IF I HAD AN EMAIL SENT TO ME,KNOWING IT IS ONLY FEMALE,S PLAYING, A GREAT IDEA,SKY COULD DO THIS,THANKS BURNshurtz
  • edited July 2013
    and why have you not added me as a friend,DUNMIDOSH, I SENT THE REQUEST 3 DAYS AGO :):):) XXX
    Posted by paige55
    I've tried!
    But Firefox is blocking me from accepting.
    Trying to suss out how to sort it this weekend.
      xxx
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Smitty,

Most of what you say, most of the time, I find very refreshing and is usually directed at an op that deserves it. On this occasion however I disagree both with you key observation, and also your choice of target.

Batkin left this site to play away because she liked playing an all girl tourney, if i remember correctly. But she likes Sky and was wondering whether such a thing could be done here. Why she did so you haven't asked, and you have made some pretty stereotypical assumptions.

Your punchline is then to suggest that the idea of a ladies only game is somehow way out of order. But it is none of the things you suggest. It is a PC world gone mad when people are not allowed to have some fun together without having to allow any Tom, Richard (cannot call him by his usual name as he isn't allowed on the forum) or Harry to barge their way in and demand entry. What next, a friendly home game and the local hoodlums demand entrance? Whether the criteria is age, sex, friendship shouldn't matter.

As it is we already have segregated mtts on sky - they are the team private games. Should these be banned too?

• edited July 2013
    I'm sorry, I just don't get what you are trying to achieve?

How would it bring more ladies onto the site?

I am not against private tournaments, I think they are good for the site but just don't see why there should be a guarantee or why you need to exclude the opposite sex!

Is it because you have an edge against potential opponents and are looking for easy money?

There are many excellent lady players on the site who are more than a match for most of the regulars how would limiting their opponents help?

• edited July 2013
    Hi Smitty, Most of what you say, most of the time, I find very refreshing and is usually directed at an op that deserves it. On this occasion however I disagree both with you key observation, and also your choice of target. Posted by GELDY (1)
    This is the crux of the problem when debating people in this forum. A bad idea is a bad idea, whether it's said by a bum on the street, or Albert Einstein. The arguments should rise and fall on their own merits, and no-one should be gifted immunity from having their opinions scrutinised, picked apart, and improved on.
    Not only that, but as I've repeated numerous times already in this thread, I'm not targetting Batkin, I'm targetting the (what I consider to be) poor 'new format' being discussed. Please, I urge people to go back and read the posts in this thread when I decide to jump in and express my views. At no point do I make anything personal, or call Batkin out in any way. If you can't handle having someone exposing multiple flaws in your argument, without resorting to personal attacks, reacting emotionally, or ignoring the rubuttal altogether, then the forum isn't for you.
    Batkin left this site to play away because she liked playing an all girl tourney, if i remember correctly. But she likes Sky and was wondering whether such a thing could be done here. Why she did so you haven't asked, and you have made some pretty stereotypical assumptions. Your punchline is then to suggest that the idea of a ladies only game is somehow way out of order. But it is none of the things you suggest. Posted by GELDY (2)
    1) Can you show us where I made these stereotypical assumptions, please?
    2) I explained the, 'somehow' (quite in depth, and with multiple points to back up my claims), and while I wouldn't say the idea is 'out of order', I do believe  it would be bad for the game, and also pretty wrong on a general ethical basis.
    3) If you're going to just backhand my entire argument, I'd at least appreciate an explanation on why you think that. I've made about 6/7 points in this thread about why it would be a bad idea to introduce "Women-Only" events. An example as to why I'm wrong in one or two, if not more, would be great.
    It is a PC world gone mad when people are not allowed to have some fun together without having to allow any Tom, Richard (cannot call him by his usual name as he isn't allowed on the forum) or Harry to barge their way in and demand entry. What next, a friendly home game and the local hoodlums demand entrance? Whether the criteria is age, sex, friendship shouldn't matter. As it is we already have segregated mtts on sky - they are the team private games. Should these be banned too?
    Posted by GELDY (3)
    I don't think you fully understand the difference between a a private game, and a publicly advertised game, with limited attendance. There is a MASSIVE difference here.
    Elaborating on your example, a home-game is in a private setting, where the premises are owned by you, or one of your friends. It's an activity or hobby you do in the privacy of your own home, with the criteria of:
    1) You have to be one of your friends
    2) You have to know how to play poker
    3) It's limited to a first come, first serve basis

This format does not discriminate against anyone, while a gender-specific one, obviously would.
    Now, let's say you had a bunch of mates ranging from 25yo-60yo, and you said that every week from now on, you're only going to allow 25-30yo's to come and play in your home game. Well, the other 31-60yo's would be pretty p1ssed, and with good reason. Even though it's a home-game, and you have every right to invite whoever you like, one of your criteria discriminates against some of your friends.
    Disciminate - 1. to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality:
    The new laws discriminates against the elderly. or He discriminates in favor of his relatives.
    To shrug off a potential prejudicial attitude because, per se, 'it's your house, your home game, your rules', wouldn't change the fact that your decision to invite those that you have done, is ageist.

Extrapalate that to a public tournament, in a public setting, where events (for the most part) should be facilitating on a "come one come all" basis.

The part I bolded in your quote is somewhat concerning, as it's incredibly easy to counter it by tweaking a few words.
    "Whether the criteria is age, sex, friendship shouldn't matter."
    Surely, wouldn't it be the other way round?
    "It shouldn't matter who you are. Age, sex, friendship shouldn't matter."
  • edited July 2013
    Could it not be played at DTD this weekend in bikinis. Then everyone's happy, right?
  • edited July 2013
    Could it not be played at DTD this weekend in bikinis. Then everyone's happy, right?
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Woah.
    Dude, wow.

So men can't wear bikinis too??

#sexybikiniSmit #countmein
  • edited July 2013
    Only if it's lime green
  • edited July 2013
    Smitalos do you play on this site? I search for you and never see you on any tables. I am probably missing the times you are on but you spend countless hours on the forums so one would assume you play a fair bit. Do you use other sites?
  • edited July 2013
    I'm sorry, I just don't get what you are trying to achieve? How would it bring more ladies onto the site? I am not against private tournaments, I think they are good for the site but just don't see why there should be a guarantee or why you need to exclude the opposite sex! Is it because you have an edge against potential opponents and are looking for easy money? There are many excellent lady players on the site who are more than a match for most of the regulars how would limiting their opponents help?
    Posted by cleansweep
    Hi cleansweep, thanks for the reply. No I am not looking for value lol!

I have a fair amount of friends (female) who express their interest inpoker but wont play online as it is seen as a male game. This type of thing would induce them in and get them more comfortable playing online that is my thought process nothing more.
  • edited July 2013
    Smitalos do you play on this site? I search for you and never see you on any tables. I am probably missing the times you are on but you spend countless hours on the forums so one would assume you play a fair bit. Do you use other sites?
    Posted by Batkin88
    You'll usually find me on here at limits 100nl thru 2knl
    Stars and FTP, it's usually Mixed-Games.

And, fwiw, as stated before, the players shouldn't be discriminated against because non-players have misconceptions about the game. If you friends want to tie up poker and a gender-stereotyped game, that's their problem I'm afraid.
    Personally, I try not to let preconceptions or social norms stop me from doing something I love, and your friends should feel exactly the same way.

Lime Green mankinis ftw.
  • edited July 2013

Why is it "their problem"? To them it might be an opportunity not a problem.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about anyone else's ideas?

• edited July 2013
    To be fair, you should tell your mates that it's not a male game, explain you're a woman and play with men all the time (and win).

You're in the perfect position to explain there's no reason why women can't play poker with men cos you do it.
  • edited July 2013
    Why is it "their problem"? To them it might be an opportunity not a problem. Do you ever have anything positive to say about anyone else's ideas?
    Posted by FCHD
    Could you elaborate, please? To who? What opportunity?

It's their problem because... *deep breath*

It's a dated, divisive,  and ultimately (in some cases) morally reprehensable attitude that only serves to create more disruption and problems in this world by labelling things as black and white. If you like something, just do it.
    If you don't want to, because the majority of individuals that partake in that activity are different from yourself, then it's no-one elses fault but your own. We shouldn't have to cater for people's misconceptions by discriminating against others and bending the rules. Educate them though? Most definitely. (although this point should kinda apply to everything in life, not just poker)

I got a lot of stick for going to a local Badminton class back in 6th form when 90% of the players were 50+. But I had an absolutely incredible time, meeting some unforgettable people, because I didn't let social pressure, or ageist stereotyping get in the way of something I loved.
    Getting my @rse handed to me by OAPs.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Smitty,

Don't have much time so I'll just make a couple of points, and as i'm not as adept with the colour coded editing i'll just number them

1. it's great debating on the forum. no probs with that at all. but there are better ways of starting a debate than just steamrolling your personal view in a way that could come across to some people, not just some ladies, as overly aggressive

2. "The rest of us shouldn’t be discriminated against because you’re uncomfortable hanging around people that have bigger muscles, or some junk between their legs"

a stereotypical assumption methinks

3. discrimination is a tough topic. we all want a just fair society but it will never be perfect and we must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater when trying to improve it.

And your final point sums up why we will probably have to agree to disagree. you said:

The part I bolded in your quote is somewhat concerning, as it's incredibly easy to counter it by tweaking a few words.
    "Whether the criteria is age, sex, friendship shouldn't matter."
    Surely, wouldn't it be the other way round?
    "It shouldn't matter who you are. Age, sex, friendship shouldn't matter."

I do not regard this as a counter at all - I just do not believe it should apply to everything in life.

A free for all when everyone can do what they want is the path to oblivion imho
  • edited July 2013
    1) As opposed to a view that isn't personal? #literallyimpossible Do you mean subjective, instead of personal?
    2) That was meant to be a joke, sighhhhh. Okay, whatever reason you have for not wanting to play alongside people of the opposite (or same!) sex, whether it's men or women, your belief probably isn't warranted. Whether they have junk between their legs, or balloons on their chest. (Or both. I am the living proof of that.)
    3) I'm not saying that you're impying this, but...
    Just because we can never reach perfection, doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it. The less discrimination in the world, the better imo. And unless there's some exceptional and justified reason for it, I see no excuse to alter that attitude.

Final point -I honestly don't know what to say. I would have thought that it was a fairly clear-cut 'Equality4All!' type of statement, that almost everyone should be willing to get behind.

Also, your last quote/line contradicts itself slightly.
    I'm proposing we have a set rule. That no-one can discriminate with player-specific tournaments. That is almost the polar opposite of a free-for-all. A F-F-A, as you implied, would be manic. People would be allowed to create gender/age/ethnic specific events at their own leisure, which as you so stated, would be OblivianoCapitano, imo.

EDIT: As previously stated, any rebuttals made arn't attacks on YOU. No-one owns a set of ideas, and any attacks on said ideas brought up itt, or in any other thread, should never be seen as insults, personal jabs, etc.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : Hi cleansweep, thanks for the reply. No I am not looking for value lol! I have a fair amount of friends (female) who express their interest inpoker but wont play online as it is seen as a male game. This type of thing would induce them in and get them more comfortable playing online that is my thought process nothing more.
    Posted by Batkin88
    If you have friends who are intimidated. Why not set up a Team Batcave.
    Like the Hitsquad you could invite your friends to play in a private (password protected) tournament.
    If successful, Sky would be foolish not to adopt similar tournaments into the schedule.
  • edited July 2013
    Discrimination is never the answer
    Posted by ajs4385
    +1
  • edited July 2013
    Lol this is actually a great idea  cleansweep!
  • edited July 2013
    Lol this is actually a great idea  cleansweep!
    Posted by Batkin88
    Have you seen Daves idea on the team page?
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : You'll usually find me on here at limits 100nl thru 2knl Stars and FTP, it's usually Mixed-Games. And, fwiw, as stated before, the players shouldn't be discriminated against because non-players have misconceptions about the game. If you friends want to tie up poker and a gender-stereotyped game, that's their problem I'm afraid. I for one don't let preconceptions or social norms stop me from doing something I love, and your friends should feel exactly the same way. Lime Green mankinis ftw.
    Posted by Smitalos
    as stated before I understand where you are coming from but I didn't mean it in the way you took. I have since retracted the proposition and am looking into maybe getting a team together of friends and others interested. Thanks for your input Smit hopefully this thread can now be closed if any mods see this post! 
  • edited July 2013
    Discrimination is never the answer
    Posted by ajs4385

It is! If the question asks what 14 letter word beginning with a "D" can be defined as:-

The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex?

lol

• edited July 2013
    EDIT: As previously stated, any rebuttals made arn't attacks on YOU. No-one owns a set of ideas, and any attacks on said ideas brought up itt, or in any other thread, should never be seen as insults, personal jabs, etc.
    Posted by Smitalos
    i'm totally fine with your opinions, and have seen enough of your comments to regard them in general as a good thing, and i certainly don't take it personally. however OP has just come back to the site after her baby and may not have appreciated or understood your approach and it may have been misconstrued as an attack on her.

as it is you have strong views on the topic so fair for you to mention them, but a softer approach may have been to ask why she thought it was such a good idea before launching into your rebuttal.

and you misunderstand my free for all comment.

i do think for society to function there need to be limits. some grit in the wheels to stop it spinning out of control. the grit on its own looks bad, but the end effect is a positive. 

I also agree that your comment is also very valid - to me both extremes are bad. my view is closer to your end of the spectrum, just that i don't think it should be totally free for people to choose what they want to do all the time. and a bit of grit i would not have a problem with is for there to be occasional mtts for an all-xxx demographic, if the xxxs wish to do so. 
  • edited July 2013
    It's not as if poker is the only activity that would have some competitions reserved for the female sex, even amongst those where physical prowess is not the be all and end all.

If it brings new players to the game, I'm in favour if it. Why are women players so small of the player base, both online and live? Anything we can do to encourage this gap to close, even it means that men are unable to play in a microscopic fraction of the games out there, must be a good idea, surely?
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: New female tourneys : i'm totally fine with your opinions, and have seen enough of your comments to regard them in general as a good thing, and i certainly don't take it personally. however OP has just come back to the site after her baby and may not have appreciated or understood your approach and it may have been misconstrued as an attack on her. as it is you have strong views on the topic so fair for you to mention them, but a softer approach may have been to ask why she thought it was such a good idea before launching into your rebuttal.
    Points well made. Solid, sir.
    Although, just imo, it would be pretty unfair to villianise any posts made by anyone in this thread, whereby their posts are directed at points made by Batkin (and i'm not by any stretch insinuating that's what you meant at all). What I'm basically trying to say, is that if Batkin starts a thread, in a public forum, on a pretty contraversal topic, on the internet...
    People arn't just gunna give posters (but more so, their posts) immediate respect, just because of X Y Z that (no offence) have little to no bearing on the topic at hand.
    Does it make any reactions on her part excusable b/c of a particular life event? imo, not entirely. The actions rise and fall on their own merits/flaws. Does it make it them understandable? Sure.
    and you misunderstand my free for all comment. i do think for society to function there need to be limits. some grit in the wheels to stop it spinning out of control. the grit on its own looks bad, but the end effect is a positive.  I also agree that your comment is also very valid - to me both extremes are bad. my view is closer to your end of the spectrum, just that i don't think it should be totally free for people to choose what they want to do all the time. and a bit of grit i would not have a problem with is for there to be occasional mtts for an all-xxx demographic, if the xxxs wish to do so. 
    Posted by GELDY
    I have less of a problem problem with 'small' private tournaments ran by the players to cater for a certain audience, just with the mindset of those who dislike playing with a certain group of people without just reason. I just don't consider games that exclude people for something they can't change/control, ethical.
    And jeez, we havn't even touched on the painfully complex topic of grouping people into just 2 genders. Phewwwwyyyyyyy!

Solid replies sir, very much appreciated.
  • edited July 2013
    Well,

Must say I think this is a terrible idea.

Firstly I very much doubt any current female players would see the point is a female only tourney, it would seem like it is a concession as they are not good enough to play with the men so need their own game to give them a chance.

Secondly, have you considered the likely reason that there are not many females playing here, is that not many females want to play poker?

Thirdly, this isnt the United Nations. Sky are not here to improve equality! They should be working on generating a larger member base full stop. Working on something that is a tiny little niche of potential members is, quite frankly, a waste of time that could be much better spent!

Fourthy, I just dont see the logic in it. There are no barriers to entry for females wanting to play online poker. Would an 18-30 tourney increase memberbase of 18-30 year olds? Would a Scousers only tournaments increase the number of Liverpudlians here? no, of course it wouldnt.
  • edited July 2013
    Well, Must say I think this is a terrible idea. Firstly I very much doubt any current female players would see the point is a female only tourney, it would seem like it is a concession as they are not good enough to play with the men so need their own game to give them a chance. Secondly, have you considered the likely reason that there are not many females playing here, is that not many females want to play poker? Thirdly, this isnt the United Nations. Sky are not here to improve equality! They should be working on generating a larger member base full stop. Working on something that is a tiny little niche of potential members is, quite frankly, a waste of time that could be much better spent! Fourthy, I just dont see the logic in it. There are no barriers to entry for females wanting to play online poker. Would an 18-30 tourney increase memberbase of 18-30 year olds? Would a Scousers only tournaments increase the number of Scousers here? no of course it wouldnt.
    Posted by calcalfold
    I dont disagree with anything you've said. Those were the first thoughts that popped into my head.
    But in retrospect I'm pretty sure most of us have had a lads night in playing poker while the ladies went out.
    Whats the difference? They just want a ladies night on the computer.
    Stag and Hens nights might boost the site.
    Dont want to steriotype the lads could have a tourney whilst knocking back a six pack and the girls could be sat in front of the screen swigging chardonnay lol
    The beauty of this site is variety
  • edited July 2013
    Cleansweep yes it does bring in more members, that is exactly why the biggest poker site in the world do exactly this. They do them for females, for each individual country and then for each individual continent. They also do age groups although only ever seen them for over 70's.

So there is the logic.