You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only.......

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
Is it me or are 90% of sky promotions aimed at cash players only. Last month it was golden tickets (cash only), this month - double points (cash only). Not to mention happy hours etc.. And there's the fact for sng players there's no jump in rakeback from 5k points all the way up to 20k points...... 

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Probably because that's where the bulk of the business in.

I don't like it very much either, but we have to face facts.
  • edited September 2013

The simple answer to your question is no. Yes these particular promotions are aimed at cash but you have to remember the ongoing promotions aimed at the mtts.

The jackpot runs 7 days a weeks all the time not just for a month. And although stt's dont get much of a push at all the mtt push is continual and big. Bearing in mind the jackpot is £5000 on offer daily which far exceeds anything possible on the cash promotions.

The cash tables are getting a big push but it is still way below the money being offered for the mtts. And that is before we even mention the highly successful premiership competition.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only.......:
    Is it me or are 90% of sky promotions aimed at cash players only. Last month it was golden tickets (cash only), this month - double points (cash only). Not to mention happy hours etc.. And there's the fact for sng players there's no jump in rakeback from 5k points all the way up to 20k points...... 
    Posted by KinichAhau
    +1
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only.......:
     The simple answer to your question is no. Yes these particular promotions are aimed at cash but you have to remember the ongoing promotions aimed at the mtts.  The jackpot runs 7 days a weeks all the time not just for a month. And although stt's dont get much of a push at all the mtt push is continual and big. Bearing in mind the jackpot is £5000 on offer daily which far exceeds anything possible on the cash promotions.  The cash tables are getting a big push but it is still way below the money being offered for the mtts. And that is before we even mention the highly successful premiership competition.  
    Posted by Talon

And what about the sng players......
  • edited September 2013

Hi - we've posted a response to a similar question fairly recently - see here

Much of this still applies.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited September 2013
    good,im not a cash player but ive doubled me c4p already from what i normally do by now,ive got over 300 points cuz you know ive played more cash games than i normally do so the promo works..for me anyway..just no pleasing some folk

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only.......:
    Hi - we've posted a response to a similar question fairly recently - see here Much of this still applies. Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    And this answer still applies as of stt's

First: 3/2/2013
    Last: 8/9/2013
    In Response to Re: Golden Tickets returns...:
    In Response to Re: Golden Tickets returns... : Surprised you think that. In case you hadn't seen, we have: - The Final Table Jackpot which has payed many thousands of pounds out - Several Freerolls every day - Tournaments can have overlay which is free value - UKOPS is coming again soon - SPT events all year round - The Syndicate Freeroll each week - The monthly Super Roller - Various MTT prizes given away on facebook and twitter - The upcoming Sky Poker Premiership - A good deal on Sky Poker reward points - etc... MTT players probably get more than most to be fair. And before someone mentions STT players :) .... There is a big overlap between MTT and STT players, so many will have taken advantage of the above. We've also done promos for STT players too. However,, as ever, if anyone has any ideas for promotions whether it be cash, tournaments or Sit & Gos feel free to feed them through to us. Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker

For SNG players:

The Final Table Jackpot                                             - N/A for SNG players
    Several Freerolls every day                                         - available to all
    Tournaments can have overlay which is free value         - N/A for SNG players
    UKOPS is coming again soon                                      - N/A for SNG players
    SPT events all year round                                          - N/A for SNG players
    The Syndicate Freeroll each week                               - available to all
    The monthly Super Roller                                          - N/A for SNG players
    Various MTT prizes given away on facebook and twitter - N/A for SNG players
    The upcoming Sky Poker Premiership                         - available to all

Not seeing all that much overlap!
  • edited September 2013
    To Sky Poker

On the reply lined to on the other thread, you mentioned you've done promotions for STTs as well.

I can't remember one in the last 12 months or so, but I'm probably wrong. Can you remind me please?
  • edited September 2013
    To Sky Poker On the reply lined to on the other thread, you mentioned you've done promotions for STTs as well. I can't remember one in the last 12 months or so, but I'm probably wrong. Can you remind me please?
    Posted by FCHD
    1 in March or April most hands played also included mtt's.
    Need to be a multi table no sleep nutter to do any thing.Guess who won and what his usual game is. 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : And this answer still applies as of stt's jdsallstar Posts: 426 First: 3/2/2013 Last: 8/9/2013 In Response to  Re: Golden Tickets returns... : In Response to Re: Golden Tickets returns... : Surprised you think that. In case you hadn't seen, we have: - The Final Table Jackpot which has payed many thousands of pounds out - Several Freerolls every day - Tournaments can have overlay which is free value - UKOPS is coming again soon - SPT events all year round - The Syndicate Freeroll each week - The monthly Super Roller - Various MTT prizes given away on facebook and twitter - The upcoming Sky Poker Premiership - A good deal on Sky Poker reward points - etc... MTT players probably get more than most to be fair. And before someone mentions STT players :) ....  There is a big overlap between MTT and STT players, so many will have taken advantage of the above.  We've also done promos for STT players too. However,, as ever, if anyone has any ideas for promotions whether it be cash, tournaments or Sit & Gos feel free to feed them through to us. Thanks Sky Poker Posted by Sky_Poker For SNG players: The Final Table Jackpot                                             - N/A for SNG players Several Freerolls every day                                         - available to all Tournaments can have overlay which is free value         - N/A for SNG players UKOPS is coming again soon                                      - N/A for SNG players SPT events all year round                                          - N/A for SNG players The Syndicate Freeroll each week                               - available to all The monthly Super Roller                                          - N/A for SNG players Various MTT prizes given away on facebook and twitter - N/A for SNG players The upcoming Sky Poker Premiership                         - available to all Not seeing all that much overlap!
    Posted by belsibub
    Hence why at the time we replied with this which the poster was happy with.
  • edited September 2013
    To Sky Poker On the reply lined to on the other thread, you mentioned you've done promotions for STTs as well. I can't remember one in the last 12 months or so, but I'm probably wrong. Can you remind me please?
    Posted by FCHD
    Sure - Sit & Go Champ would be one.
  • edited September 2013

All the points based promos revolve around giving players more back.

Why not take less away in the first place?

To low rakers there isn't any difference between 300 points and 600 points really.

Even up 1 level, I dnt notice if I make 2k or 4k points. 

Half price rake on each sit n go format for a day or 2 a week?

Maybe a rake free hour twice a day on all sngs for a week?

Give people the incentive to try formats they wouldn't normally play. Maybe they'll continue to play them after the promo and the games will be healthier long term.
  • edited September 2013
    Ok where did my last post go?

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : Sure - Sit & Go Champ would be one.
    Posted by Sky_Poker

OK, so we had a promo biased towards a few high stakes DYM players just over 12 months ago. Anything since?

How about a double points on STTs week, or even a 10% drop in rake for a week?

I'm trying to be constructive here, I recognise why most of the promos are cash-related, just asking for a bone towards Sit & Go players occasionally!
  • edited September 2013
    @ stokefc, thanks for your input.........................

@ FCDH, the last one i can remember was about 6 months back, it was that "big deal" rake race, they also had one for cash players a few days later.

@ sky, i don't think that really addresses the problem.... 

"However,, as ever, if anyone has any ideas for promotions whether it be cash, tournaments or Sit & Gos feel free to feed them through to us"

How about double points for stt's, that would be a start.. 

Thanks

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : Hence why at the time we replied with this  which the poster was happy with.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Thats taking it a little out of context. Not sure if I was "happy" in the context of this thread i.e. sng players get nothing lol.

I was "happy" with the reason of why you originally put up that list of promotions. i.e. because there's a lot of overlap of players between mtt and sng.

I did follow up your response by saying don't forget "sng only players". I wouldn't say I was happy with the promo's in relation to sng players in comparison to MTT and Cash players overall.

Cash and MTTs have promotions that run all year round as well I.e. jackpot, reduced rake, happy hour and early bird etc sng's have the odd promo. Two since the start of 2013, if I'm right, one of which was to promote a new format of sng's.

That's a bit of a jumble but hope it makes sense

• edited September 2013
    "However,, as ever, if anyone has any ideas for promotions whether it be cash, tournaments or Sit & Gos feel free to feed them through to us"

Reduced rake at specific times of the day.

Golden ticket sng only.

And as kinich says points boosts.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : Thats taking it a little out of context. Not sure if I was "happy" in the context of this thread i.e. sng players get nothing lol. I was "happy" with the reason of why you originally put up that list of promotions. i.e. because there's a lot of overlap of players between mtt and sng.   I did follow up your response by saying don't forget "sng only players". I wouldn't say I was happy with the promo's in relation to sng players in comparison to MTT and Cash players overall. Cash and MTTs have promotions that run all year round as well I.e. jackpot, reduced rake, happy hour and early bird etc sng's have the odd promo. Two since the start of 2013, if I'm right, one of which was to promote a new format of sng's. That's a bit of a jumble but hope it makes sense  
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Understood.
  • edited September 2013

Turbo Tuesday was good when you got double points even once a month would be good.

• edited September 2013
    The last promotion I remember for sit and goes was full of cash players playing micro stakes DYM's, I gave up playing for that week.
    I'd rather not have another promotion like that thanks.
  • edited September 2013
    It must be said that every day is "almost" double points day in sit and goes and MTT's. 10 points per pound compared to 6 points per pound in cash.

Anyway, that's not really what I was going to say:

Battle Of The Planets on Stars is undoubtedly (I think) the best SNG promotion out there. Why not copy this, albeit on a smaller scale?

Now I'll provide a possible answer to my own question:

A promotion such as BOTP works on Stars because of the enormous traffic. How can you expect a smaller version on Sky to draw away that traffic? Well, you can't.
  • edited September 2013
    It must be said that every day is "almost" double points day in sit and goes and MTT's. 10 points per pound compared to 6 points per pound in cash. Anyway, that's not really what I was going to say: Battle Of The Planets on Stars is undoubtedly (I think) the best SNG promotion out there. Why not copy this, albeit on a smaller scale? Now I'll provide a possible answer to my own question: A promotion such as BOTP works on Stars because of the enormous traffic. How can you expect a smaller version on Sky to draw away that traffic? Well, you can't.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    The effect of the extra points per pound is outweighed by the reduced rake.

If I play 200 £5 sng's/mtts and didn't get ANY points whatsoever but got rake of 7.5% like cash I would be better off! Cash players have extra promo's on top of this 7.5% rake also. Realise this wasn't your main point but I felt the need to comment.

To save people wanting to check the maths:

Current (10% rake and points):
    200 games at £5.
    Total Stake = £1000
    Total Rake = £100
    Total points = 1000 pts
    Value of points (@1.5p per point) = £15
    Rake less reward= £85

7.5% no points:
    as above total stake = £1000
    Total rake = £75
  • edited September 2013
    You can't compare the value of the rake in cash against the cost of the fees in an MTT or SNG. It's not comparing apples with apples.

Amongst other things, you pay rake on every hand that sees a flop on a cash table, so the amount of money available to the table is reduced over time. The same is not true in tournaments where the whole amount of the prize pool is secure.

Rake is also not paid as a percentage of your actual stack, it's drawn from the amount put in the pot. In MTT's and SNG's, you effectively pay a little over 9% of your buy-in as fees before you even start but then that's it, you pay no more.

Rake and tournament fees are not the same thing.

The only relevant fact regarding the rakeback received is the amount paid in rake or fees to the site, and therefore taken "off the table". Every pound paid for MTT poker generates 166% of the rewards points for a pound paid at a cash table. That's just how it is.
  • edited September 2013
    You can't compare the value of the rake in cash against the cost of the fees in an MTT or SNG. It's not comparing apples with apples. Amongst other things, you pay rake on every hand that sees a flop on a cash table, so the amount of money available to the table is reduced over time. The same is not true in tournaments where the whole amount of the prize pool is secure. Rake and tournament fees are not the same thing. The only relevant fact regarding the rakeback received is the amount paid in rake or fees to the site, and therefore taken "off the table". Every pound paid for MTT poker generates 166% of the rewards points for a pound paid at a cash table. That's just how it is.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    surely then you cant compare points per pound cash vs mtt/sng for the same reasons.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : surely then you cant compare points per pound cash vs mtt/sng for the same reasons.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    No, as I say the relevant figure is the amount taken "off the table" by the fees or rake. That's how much you're paying for the service the poker site provides.

MTT's and SNG's return a higher rakeback (before 10k points) for the same service, relative to the cash tables.

I edited my last post before your reply. The basic point I was adding is that tournament fees are a single flat fee paid at the start of the tournament, effectively charged as a proportion of your total stack. Rake in cash is generated by the amount you draw from each pot...
  • edited September 2013
    Borin you'll have to give me a degree of leeway here as I'm not overly familiar with the intracies of how cash games are raked/awarded points but I don't see how it's fair to compare points per pound on one hand and then say its unfair to compare rake per pound on other.
  • edited September 2013
    You can compare rakeback per pound paid on cash tables to rakeback per pound on MTT's because you're just judging points per pound paid to the poker site. It's comparing rakeback to rakeback.

You can't compare rake on cash tables to fees in tournaments, though. They're just not the same.

Rake on cash tables is paid as either 7.5% or 5% of every pot that goes to a flop, up to a maximum of (IIRC) £1.60 or £1.80. It's not charged as a percentage of the amount you sit down with. If nobody tops-up their stacks at a cash table and you keep playing, eventually the money on the table reaches zero and you've all paid 100% of your pull-up in rake (Obviously that would never happen in reality but it could in theory). The longer you play, the more you pay.

Fees are charged as a flat rate at the start of every tournament. 9% of your total buy-in goes to the site... but then no more. No matter how long you play, only 9% of your money is paid to the site. Obviously that's different to paying 7.5% of the amount you win from each pot.

If a cash player pays £1 to the site he gets 6 reward points. If an MTT player pays £1 to the site he gets 10 reward points. How many hands each of those £1 comes from is unknown. The profit or loss each player made from those hands is also unknown. It's just that they've both paid £1 and one has received more reward points than the other.
  • edited September 2013
    It must be said that every day is "almost" double points day in sit and goes and MTT's. 10 points per pound compared to 6 points per pound in cash. Anyway, that's not really what I was going to say: Battle Of The Planets on Stars is undoubtedly (I think) the best SNG promotion out there. Why not copy this, albeit on a smaller scale? Now I'll provide a possible answer to my own question: A promotion such as BOTP works on Stars because of the enormous traffic. How can you expect a smaller version on Sky to draw away that traffic? Well, you can't.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Am I missing something?
    The SnG pay 1 pt per pound
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : Am I missing something? The SnG pay 1 pt per pound
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    I think you mean that you only get one point for a £1.10 SNG. The buy-in is £1.10 but only £1 of that goes into the prize pool. The other 10p is the fee you're paying to the site, so that 10p is the amount you're paid reward points on.
  • edited September 2013
    The potential for earning of reward points table on table cash v stt in the same time period is why the discrepancy in points per £,which are also offset by happy hours & early birds(for lower earners).
    But what has that got to do with the lack of viable promotions for stt's and why cash get more?
    Keep hearing we are looking at this and make suggestions and here we are again and stt area is getting like a ghost town.
    I am a rec playing mico's so never going to win a rake race or hand marathon they just stop me playing I don't want to be sat with the same 4+ players at every table for a weekend or week depending.There has got to be better way of getting a wider player base for the games without relying on the high volume handful to make them work.
    Lots ideas good & not have been made in the past year and.......