You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only.......

Comments

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only.......:
    The potential for earning of reward points table on table cash v stt in the same time period is why the discrepancy in points per £,which are also offset by happy hours & early birds(for lower earners). But what has that got to do with the lack of viable promotions for stt's and why cash get more? Keep hearing we are looking at this and make suggestions and here we are again and stt area is getting like a ghost town. I am a rec playing mico's so never going to win a rake race or hand marathon they just stop me playing I don't want to be sat with the same 4+ players at every table for a weekend or week depending.There has got to be better way of getting a wider player base for the games without relying on the high volume handful to make them work. Lots ideas good & not have been made in the past year and.......
    Posted by belsibub
    It may be easier to accrue reward points in a shorter time on cash tables, but that's because you're paying additional rake in that shorter time. That's not an argument in defence of £1 rake in cash being worth fewer points than £1 of fees in MTT's. Gathering reward points isn't the aim of the game, after all. It's just a little incentive to play higher volume, therefore paying more rake. Whether it's easier to gain them in cash isn't really an issue, it's the price you're paying for them that is an issue.

Clearly there's no real reason for Sky to increase their reward points for cash. That would just cost them a bundle and probably wouldn't increase traffic. I suspect that's the reason why it hasn't been adjusted.

What it's got to do with the question of respective promotions between MTT's/SNG's and cash is that it was suggested that Double Points Week is some sort of special privilege being given to cash tables. The truth is that MTT's and SNG's receive almost that much the rest of the time anyway. So this week there are 200% points on cash but every week there's 166% points in MTT's and SNG's. Happy Hour and Early Bird - the regular cash points promotions - only give 150% points. 

Complaining that a promotion for cash is unfair on SNG or MTT players when it merely temporarily offsets the usual advantage of playing SNG's and MTT's isn't reasonable. You could look upon the 10 points per pound raked in SNG's and MTT's as being a very long-running 'Promotion' for these games. If you're viewing the Double Points Week for cash tables as a promotion, then that's how you should look at the usual reward point system in SNG's and MTT's.

I tend to agree that promotions like Big Deal and Sit and Go Champ, which only encouraged people to play super-high volume, weren't the best for recreational players like you and I. However, that super-high volume is good for Sky and that is what they want from any promotion. The trick would seem to be to find a promotion for SNG's that both i) requires reasonably high volume and ii) rewards successful play in those SNG's. Promotions that reward break even or only slight winning play across super-high volume ruin the games by encouraging nittiness. It also leaves recreational players without a hope of winning the promotion money.

That's why BOTP is the best promotion for SNG's in my opinion. You're required to play at least one batch of 20 games per week, but points are awarded for success in those games. That leads to the games being played aggressively as players go for the win, and that keeps things interesting for recreational players. 20 games isn't too much to play in a week for your average recreational player, either, so it doesn't exclude them. Nor does it offer a lack of advantages to the higher volume players as there is no limit to the 20 game batches you can play and it's the best batch that counts. There's also a separate 'High Volume' section for players who play 100 game batches.

The problem for Sky is how to apply something like that while BOTP exists on Stars, attracting all the traffic. Obviously BOTP isn't appropriate for DYM's since there is no inherent incentive in DYM's to go for the win. So if we're only talking about regular SNG's, how do you draw traffic away from Stars if Sky's 'BOTP alternative' is not nearly as lucrative?

Answer: You don't.

The result is that the only SNG promotions that are likely to happen on Sky are the ones that are viable for DYM's. Since DYM's don't encourage aggressive play, it's impossible to see how these promotions won't just be further purely volume rewarding promos.

As for MTT promotions, there are lots of freerolls and the additional Jackpot money. You don't have to pay any rake at all to play freerolls like the Poker Premiership so it's literally free money. I have some sympathy with the Sky peeps who don't understand these complaints that MTT's aren't backed enough.
  • edited September 2013
    The thing is with sngs is that if for example you play hu games there are ways of enhancing your rewards payout if you get less than 10k points per month.

Say you are rolled to play £10 hu sngs, which yield 5 points per game, then instead you play 2 x £5 which yield 3 points per game. Your rewards tally is instantly uplifted by 20% for playing the same monetary volume. The same applies as you move up in stakes. 

Sky dont have to give you 3 points for 25p rake. But the fact that they do regardless of whether a promo is on, shouldnt be ignored. 
  • edited September 2013

The blunt truth is that this Promotion is aimed at cash players because.......they constitute the vast majority of players, & play, on the site.

Most poker sites generate twice as much traffic from cash as MTT's & SNG's combined, hence Cash based Promotions are far & away the most frequent on every Online Poker Site.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only.......:
    You can compare rakeback per pound paid on cash tables to rakeback per pound on MTT's because you're just judging points per pound paid to the poker site. It's comparing rakeback to rakeback. You can't compare rake on cash tables to fees in tournaments, though. They're just not the same. Rake on cash tables is paid as either 7.5% or 5% of every pot that goes to a flop, up to a maximum of (IIRC) £1.60 or £1.80. It's not charged as a percentage of the amount you sit down with. If nobody tops-up their stacks at a cash table and you keep playing, eventually the money on the table reaches zero and you've all paid 100% of your pull-up in rake (Obviously that would never happen in reality but it could in theory). The longer you play, the more you pay. Fees are charged as a flat rate at the start of every tournament. 9% of your total buy-in goes to the site... but then no more. No matter how long you play, only 9% of your money is paid to the site. Obviously that's different to paying 7.5% of the amount you win from each pot. If a cash player pays £1 to the site he gets 6 reward points. If an MTT player pays £1 to the site he gets 10 reward points. How many hands each of those £1 comes from is unknown. The profit or loss each player made from those hands is also unknown. It's just that they've both paid £1 and one has received more reward points than the other.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I don't see how you can say it's fair to judge points per fees paid to the site if you think its unfair to compare fees paid to the site in the first place. For want of better phrase the foundation of the comparison isn't the same.

There is obviously a lot of differences between how cash and sng/mtt's are raked but there's positives and negative sides to both. For example you mention if you sit down and no-one tops up eventually the money or prize fund on the table could reach zero in theory. Obviously that's true but on the other hand in theory three players could go all in first hand you could treble up and leave the table having paid the lower rake (in comparison to mtt/sng). You also mention because of this (i.e. rake reduces prize pool in cash) the prize pool is secure in MTT's but not in cash the other side of this of course is that the percentage of the prize pool a player can win is limited to less than 50% in mtt's/sng's. On a cash table this is not true and potentially a player could win up to 100% (less rake) in theory.

What i'm trying to say in general is that there is obviously a lot of nuances to each format and raking systems but that's each individual players choice and it's up to them to weigh up the pros and cons of both. What does remain universal is that for his gamble the cash player is raked less than 7.5% whereas the mtt/sng players is raked 10% for his gamble. 

I've got a feeling we've hijacked this thread enough and we could go round and round in circles on this issue for some time so might be best to just leave it (obviously feel free to respond to this post should you wish to). I appreciate the points you raised and more importantly the way in which you raise them. Very often on the site when things like this get discussed the thread can quickly get out of control and before long become personal and insulting. So I thank you for that.

• edited September 2013
      The blunt truth is that this Promotion is aimed at cash players because.......they constitute the vast majority of players, & play, on the site. Most poker sites generate twice as much traffic from cash as MTT's & SNG's combined, hence Cash based Promotions are far & away the most frequent on every Online Poker Site.            
    Posted by Tikay10
    This thread could have been a two post thread if this had been the response to the OP!!

Whilst it's perfectly understandable that sky and other poker rooms run promotions for their most profitable and most popular areas it's hard not to feel disheartened and have the overall feeling that the rake I and other mtt and sng players contribute to the site is not as valued as those of cash players. Thanks for taking the time to respond in this thread though!
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : This thread could have been a two post thread if this had been the response to the OP!!   Whilst it's perfectly understandable that sky and other poker rooms run promotions for their most profitable and most popular areas it's hard not to feel disheartened and have the overall feeling that the rake I and other mtt and sng players contribute to the site is not as valued as those of cash players. Thanks for taking the time to respond in this thread though!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    No worries, you are very welcome.

Unfortunately, I have been up in Newcastle for the SPT since 7am Friday, got back at 1am this morning, & so have not been on the Community since Thursday.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... :
    I don't see how you can say it's fair to judge points per fees paid to the site if you think its unfair to compare fees paid to the site in the first place. For want of better phrase the foundation of the comparison isn't the same.

There is obviously a lot of differences between how cash and sng/mtt's are raked but there's positives and negative sides to both. For example you mention if you sit down and no-one tops up eventually the money or prize fund on the table could reach zero in theory. Obviously that's true but on the other hand in theory three players could go all in first hand you could treble up and leave the table having paid the lower rake (in comparison to mtt/sng). You also mention because of this (i.e. rake reduces prize pool in cash) the prize pool is secure in MTT's but not in cash the other side of this of course is that the percentage of the prize pool a player can win is limited to less than 50% in mtt's/sng's. On a cash table this is not true and potentially a player could win up to 100% (less rake) in theory.

What i'm trying to say in general is that there is obviously a lot of nuances to each format and raking systems but that's each individual players choice and it's up to them to weigh up the pros and cons of both. What does remain universal is that for his gamble the cash player is raked less than 7.5% whereas the mtt/sng players is raked 10% for his gamble. 

I've got a feeling we've hijacked this thread enough and we could go round and round in circles on this issue for some time so might be best to just leave it (obviously feel free to respond to this post should you wish to). I appreciate the points you raised and more importantly the way in which you raise them. Very often on the site when things like this get discussed the thread can quickly get out of control and before long become personal and insulting. So I thank you for that.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Everything you've said in this post is correct apart from the bolded parts. You see, I'm not saying that MTT's are "better value" than cash or vice versa, I'm saying they can't be compared. It's like saying "Which game is better value for my £10; Scrabble or Monopoly?" The only answer is "Whichever one you enjoy more." So comparing 7.5%/5% rake to 9%* fees is not possible because you're comparing the cost of two very different things.

The bolded part is the problem, though. When you compare Reward points received for £1 of cash rake to £1 of tournament fees, you're comparing Player A's £1 paid to the site with Player B's £1 paid to the site. You're simply comparing £1 with £1 so the foundation of this comparison is the same. To carry on the board game analogy; you buy scrabble and I buy monopoly, both for £10. We get to the counter and you're given a big tub of Quality Street as a free gift and I'm given a Chomp bar.

Now, if that tub of Quality street is clearly advertised as an incentive for buying Scrabble, then I will have no complaints. However, if for one week the incentive changes and Monopoly is included in that Quality Street promotion, why should someone buying Scrabble complain about that? This is the heart of the matter.

The Double Points week on cash tables is a similar advantage enjoyed by SNG's and MTT's year round. It's not an advantage being placed on the cash tables. There's nothing stopping those SNG and MTT players from getting on the cash tables (or buying Monopoly) if they think it's such a great promotion.

*It is a little over 9% fees, btw. The tournament may be advertised as buy-in + fees but in a £10+£1 tournament, the cost to you is still £11. The percentage of that £11 which you're paying in fees is 9%.
  • edited September 2013
    I'm not gonna join in with the debate but am I missing something or going mad.... a £10 MTT is £10 + £1... that's 10% not 9%
  • edited September 2013
    I'm not gonna join in with the debate but am I missing something or going mad.... a £10 MTT is £10 + £1... that's 10% not 9%
    Posted by Lambert180
    It's not a £10 MTT, it's an £11 MTT. That's the cost to you.

So the £1 fees are 1 of 11. that's 9%. Well, 9.090909...%
  • edited September 2013
    Posted by Lambert180
    Probably both... You pay £11, £1 of that doesn't make it to the prize pool. The proportion of fees is therefore 1/11 = 9%

To add to the debate, I would add that enhanced prizes are also promotions, so include the DTD Monday and Orfordable Friday. Paul also ran an STT comp when the structures were changed, and numbers for that were disappointing.

• edited September 2013
    Rake is normally calculated as a propotion of the amount that goes into the prize pool. so a £10 + £1 tournament is usually shown as 10%
  • edited September 2013

New low for promo threads :(
  • edited September 2013
    Rake is normally calculated as a propotion of the amount that goes into the prize pool. so a £10 + £1 tournament is usually shown as 10%
    Posted by FCHD
    Yes, it's usually shown as a proportion of the prize pool. However if we're talking about the percentage we're paying as fees, then it is £1 out of £11.

If you don't come to 9% then you're not accounting for £11, you're only accounting for £10. £1 has disappeared. A tournament with 10% fees would be £9 + £1.
  • edited September 2013
    This getting silly,next the world will be flat and the earth is the center of the universe. 
  • edited September 2013
    But you don't relate to the percentage of the total amount you've paid, you refer to the amount of rake in propotion to the entry fee. Think of it like VAT - standard rate is 20% of the pre-tax price,  not 20% of the end price.
  • edited September 2013
    I have nothing of any value to add to this thread.
    Other than to say I love Chomps. You're welcome to your Quality Street Borin.
  • edited September 2013
    But you don't relate to the percentage of the total amount you've paid, you refer to the amount of rake in propotion to the entry fee. Think of it like VAT - standard rate is 20% of the pre-tax price,  not 20% of the end price.
    Posted by FCHD
    No, you're right that the way the fees are displayed and worked out is as 10% of the amount going to the prize pool. However, the fees are not drawn from the amount going to the prize pool, they're a charge on top of that.

The cost of the fees relative to the amount you actually pay is 9%. If we're talking about how much of our money is taken off the table by the fees, then the relevant figure is 9%. 91% of our total buy-in goes to the prize pool.
  • edited September 2013
    I have nothing of any value to add to this thread. Other than to say I love Chomps. You're welcome to your Quality Street Borin.
    Posted by Jac35
    To be fair, I like Chomps too. The only Quality Street I like are the toffee pennies, so the value is in the Chomp promotion for me.

New idea for a promotion Sky: Free Chomps!
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Double Poker Points -Another promotion aimed at cash players only....... : Everything you've said in this post is correct apart from the bolded parts. You see, I'm not saying that MTT's are "better value" than cash or vice versa, I'm saying they can't be compared. It's like saying " Which game is better value for my £10; Scrabble or Monopoly? " The only answer is " Whichever one you enjoy more ." So comparing 7.5%/5% rake to 9%* fees is not possible because you're comparing the cost of two very different things. The bolded part is the problem, though. When you compare Reward points received for £1 of cash rake to £1 of tournament fees, you're comparing Player A's £1 paid to the site with Player B's £1 paid to the site. You're simply comparing £1 with £1 so the foundation of this comparison is the same. To carry on the board game analogy; you buy scrabble and I buy monopoly, both for £10. We get to the counter and you're given a big tub of Quality Street as a free gift and I'm given a Chomp bar. Now, if that tub of Quality street is clearly advertised as an incentive for buying Scrabble, then I will have no complaints. However, if for one week the incentive changes and Monopoly is included in that Quality Street promotion, why should someone buying Scrabble complain about that? This is the heart of the matter. The Double Points week on cash tables is a similar advantage enjoyed by SNG's and MTT's year round. It's not an advantage being placed on the cash tables. There's nothing stopping those SNG and MTT players from getting on the cash tables (or buying Monopoly) if they think it's such a great promotion. *It is a little over 9% fees, btw. The tournament may be advertised as buy-in + fees but in a £10+£1 tournament, the cost to you is still £11. The percentage of that £11 which you're paying in fees is 9%.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    lol we really could go all day on this one!

You're right you are comparing the cost of two very different things (method of calculating rake is different) but the actual cost, regardless of how it is taken, of SNG's/MTTs's is 10% compared to the cost of 7.5% (or less) for cash! The method for calculating the amount to be raked is the difference in the two formats and is your reason for saying they are not comparable. The method for calculating the points is also different for the two formats and is based on the two different methods of calculating the amount to be raked. To me if you can't compare one you cant compare the other because they both derive from the same overall formats. To me they are both inseparable.

Summary:
    a) Amount to be raked - Hard to compare (buy in vs amount in pot)
    b) Rake Paid %           - directly comparable (10% vs <7.5%) - calculated using A                 
    c) Points awarded         - directly comparable (10 per pound vs 6 per pound) - Calculated using B which derives from A.

To carry on your analogy even further. Suppose the £10 used to buy the board game is a voucher gained by spending in a shop. Then to get the £10 voucher I have to buy £500 of dvd's and you have to spend £400 on cd's.

Why should someone complain if the promotion is changed so that monopoly is now in the quality street promotion?! Well for a start the promotion would be get quality street and the chomp if you buy monopoly and only the quality street if you buy scrabble to get a more accurate analogy I.e. double points takes the points awarded to 12 per pound instead of 10 for sng/mtts. So not only is it a better promotion for the CD/monopoly buyer but the DVD/scrabble buyer has had to spend more on dvd's in the first place.

If this type of a promotion seems to happen all the time for the CD buyer but the DVD never seems to get any promotions (or very few) then the dvd buyer is going to get a bit annoyed. The dvd buyer is willing to accept the trade off on rake vs points as he accepts they are two very different products but he would just like promotions to be more evenly spread! This to me is the heart of the matter.

ps no more analogies :)
  • edited September 2013
    so bored of this...............^
  • edited September 2013

This is why i dont post on the forum......

The initial question was concerning the lack of promotions for sng only players. Now it's turned into a full on debate about who makes the most points per £.

How do i close this thread...
  • edited September 2013
    This is why i dont post on the forum...... The initial question was concerning the lack of promotions for sng only players. Now it's turned into a full on debate about who makes the most points per £. How do i close this thread...
    Posted by KinichAhau
    Sorry Kinich I have to take a lot of the responsibility for derailing the thread!
  • edited September 2013
    Monopoly ftw!

About a year ago myself, DOHHHHHHH, The_Don90, Delaney09, moobs, hoggers and Jbuss used to regularly play monopoly online.

Brutal game, negotiating with Delaney was impossible.
  • edited September 2013
    Yeah has gone slightly off topic.

I think the whole point though was... for example 5,000 points = £100 C4P

To get them 5000 points, a cash player has to pay abuot £800 in rake

To get them 5000 points, a SnG player has to pay about £500 in rake.

So while this promo gives cash players more for 1 week, SnG players are enjoying more for the other 51 weeks of the year.

• edited September 2013
    Admittedly there is a disparity between the 200% points for cash this week and the 166% points on SNG's and MTT's for the rest of the year. However, I think you'd agree that one week in the year is not a reasonable thing to complain about if 51 weeks of the year the advantage is the other way around and, relatively speaking, much larger.

I think I've come up with the best way to explain the difference between rake and fees here, using Timed Tournaments because of their payout structure. So:

Player A buys-in to a £100+10 one hour Timed Tournament. He is charged £10 just to sit down and is given 10,000 chips. The value of each of those chips is 1p. By some quirk of fate, after the hour is up Player A has exactly 10,000 chips, so he cashes out for £100 and has made a £10 loss to the fees. He is given 100 reward points and has paid 9% of his buy-in as a fee.

Player B sits down at a cash table with £110. He is not charged a fee to sit down but the rake is 7.5%.

He plays a hand, blind on blind, which he puts £5 into. He wins the £10 pot which is charged 75p rake. He's now sat with £114.25.

Immediately afterwards he plays another hand, blind on blind, which he puts £5 into. He loses this £10 pot which is charged 75p rake. He's now sat with £109.25.

Again by some quirk of fate this scenario is repeated, with each player breaking even from the others, until Player B stands from the table with £100. He has lost no money to his opponents and won none from them but has lost £10 to the rake. He has been given 60 reward points and has paid 9% of his buy-in as rake (Note: not 7.5%).

Player C sits with £110 at a cash table. He is not charged a fee to sit down but the rake is 5%.

He plays a hand, blind on blind, which he puts £50 into. He wins the £100 pot which is charged £1.80 (the maximum) rake. This is rake of 1.8%. He's now sat with £148.20.

He then suffers an unfortunate reverse in the very next hand. By some quirk of fate, this scenario is yet again repeated until Player C stands with £100. He's broken even against his opponents but has paid £10 in rake. That is, again 9%, not 5%. He, too, receives just 60 points.

Players A, B and C have all broken even in their play. They've all sat with £110 and they've all left with £100. Each has paid 9% of their pull-up to the site but player A has received 166% of the points given to players B and C.

Of course Players B and C could have left earlier, meaning that while each pot is raked at 7.5% or 5% up to a maximum, they would have paid less for their session as a proportion of their stack. They could stay longer and end up paying a bigger proportion of their stack as rake.

If these two cash players were to continue breaking even from their opponents until they reach 100 reward points, they would leave with stacks of £93.33. In other words, for their 100 points they would have paid 15.15% of their original pull-up as rake.

This shows that the rake at 7.5%/5% is not directly comparable to fees at 9% as the rake is variable in relation to the pull-up. The way in which the rake is drawn - as 7.5%/5% of each pot - means that, relative to the cash player's pull-up, rake can be anything from zero to 100%. The tournament fees are always 9% of the tournament player's pull-up.

You literally cannot compare the 7.5%/5% directly with the 9% and say that one is better value than the other, as you have in your post jdallstar. One is drawn from the pot while the other is drawn from the buy-in.

You can compare like with like when it comes to reward points. To win the same number of reward points the relevant numbers are 15.15% rake against 9% fees. These two numbers are directly comparable and show how much of a better deal MTT's and SNG's regularly receive.

It's all a bit convoluted but it does illustrate some of the difference. This has taken me hours (not solid writing, just coming back and forth from the computer), so I'm sure other posts will have appeared that I've missed.
  • edited September 2013
    Simple solution......... Play cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The promotion is available to all players!!!!!!!

• edited September 2013
    This is why i dont post on the forum...... The initial question was concerning the lack of promotions for sng only players. Now it's turned into a full on debate about who makes the most points per £. How do i close this thread...
    Posted by KinichAhau
    Yes, the discussion developed and moved on to something else. Just as discussions usually do. It's become a discussion on a particular element of the original post.

We don't close threads ourselves. We just have a little chat with each other. If you want to move back to a broader topic, say something on that.
  • edited September 2013
    nobody seen the new promotion then?
  • edited September 2013
    Simple solution......... Play cash!!!!!!!!!!!!! The promotion is available to all players!!!!!!!
    Posted by macapaca
    Yes. If you think the cash promotions are good, go and play cash. lol
  • edited September 2013
    nobody seen the new promotion then?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    For goodness sake!

This Super Prize Draw started at midnight last night but they're only telling us about it now... I was on that promo page earlier this afternoon and there was no information about it.

Why would you start a promotion BEFORE announcing it?