You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO8 - you asked, you got......

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat

Many players have repeatedly asked for some 2p-4p PLO8 Cash Tables, as they are ideal as a learing tool for the wonderful game of PLO8, aka "Omaha Hi-Lo".

Well they are here now, effective immediately.

If anyone fancies some low-cost PLO8 cash, I'll open or join some tables this evening.

If you plan to join in, post on this thread please, so I can gauge how many are interested.

Any PLO8 questions, fire away on this thread, & I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from the more experienced PLO8 players.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I will give it a bash - have tried it before and enjoyed it, but it does make your head spin if you try and mix it with hold em, I have found.
  • edited October 2013
    If someone could give me a 5 step guide on how to play PL08 i'll pop on... otherwise i fear i'll just be clicking buttons as i havent a clue what will be going on!
  • edited October 2013
    I'll be around to give a go at sometime during the evening
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Tony

I've been experimenting with PLO8 on the DYM tables recently.
    Is the play similar with cash as i don't normally play cash?

May pop in later for a few hands.

Cheers
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got......:
    If someone could give me a 5 step guide on how to play PL08 i'll pop on... otherwise i fear i'll just be clicking buttons as i havent a clue what will be going on!
    Posted by gazza127

If only there was somebody we knew who had cashed in a WSOP PLO8 event!  :)
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by gazza127
    Crikey, not sure I could manage a 5 step guide, but try these......

1) Ideally, you want to only play SCOOP hands, hands which have the possibility to SCOOP. A "SCOOP" is BOTH pots, High & Low.

2) There are a LOT more good "Low" starting hands, but remember, most of the time you are only going to get half the pot with the low. There may not even BE a low. If you keep calling for Lows, eventually you will lose all your money. Faced with a "one-way" hand, go for the High rather than the Low - there is ALWAYS a High Hand, every single hand. There is sometimes a Low hand.....

3) A LOT of hands in PLO8 look nice pre-flop. After the flop, most look like I do first thing in the morning. Horrible. Try NOT to play too many hands, it will cost you money if you do.

4) "Naked" Aces. Say, A-A-10-6, "no suits". These are very hard to play at Low Limits, especially out of position. Raisde UTG, & you may well get FIVE callers, as our raise size is limited to "POT". TRy playing that down the streets, unless you catch your set. It is almost certain that the other two Aces are "out", hence them all calling with Low drawing hands, or Nut-suited hands. One pair is rarely good enough, it has to improve.

5) Limping pre - up to a point - is OK in PLO8 with nut drawing hands, but don't overdo it. I would think it unlikely that you will get more than 2 playable hands (on average) per Orbit. Better to open several Tables, to keep interested, than just keep calling with bad hands.

Good luck, & maybe see some of you later.  

Finally, remember point # 1. You will make a profit - or not - ONLY by winning "scoops". THIS IS CRUCIAL.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got...... : If only there was somebody we knew who had cashed in a WSOP PLO8 event!  :)
    Posted by Sky_Poker

Please.

Cashed in TWO WSOP PLO8 Events, from three played. But still struggling to make a profit in PLO8 on Sky Poker.....
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Tony I've been experimenting with PLO8 on the DYM tables recently. Is the play similar with cash as i don't normally play cash? May pop in later for a few hands. Cheers
    Posted by VespaPX
    Yes, not a huge difference if you stay disciplined, & remember the basics.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got...... : Crikey, not sure I could manage a 5 step guide, but try these...... 1) Ideally, you want to only play SCOOP hands, hands which have the possibility to SCOOP. A "SCOOP" is BOTH pots, High & Low. 2) There are a LOT more good "Low" starting hands, but remember, most of the time you are only going to get half the pot with the low. There may not even BE a low. If you keep calling for Lows, eventually you will lose all your money. Faced with a "one-way" hand, go for the High rather than the Low - there is ALWAYS a High Hand, every single hand. There is sometimes a Low hand..... 3) A LOT of hands in PLO8 look nice pre-flop. After the flop, most look like I do first thing in the morning. Horrible. Try NOT to play too many hands, it will cost you money if you do. 4) "Naked" Aces. Say, A-A-10-6, "no suits". These are very hard to play at Low Limits, especially out of position. Raisde UTG, & you may well get FIVE callers, as our raise size is limited to "POT". TRy playing that down the streets, unless you catch your set. It is almost certain that the other two Aces are "out", hence them all calling with Low drawing hands, or Nut-suited hands. One pair is rarely good enough, it has to improve. 5) Limping pre - up to a point - is OK in PLO8 with nut drawing hands, but don't overdo it. I would think it unlikely that you will get more than 2 playable hands (on average) per Orbit. Better to open several Tables, to keep interested, than just keep calling with bad hands. Good luck, & maybe see some of you later.   Finally, remember point # 1. You will make a profit - or not - ONLY by winning "scoops". THIS IS CRUCIAL.
    Posted by Tikay10

Oh my.  Thanks for this.

I'll have to give it a go...

Just a quick question... probably just a minor point... hardly relevant you might think.  Not even worth asking... buuuuutt how many cards play from youre hand?  Is it two?  If it is...is it always two or is it up to two?  

Actually on second thought its probably THE most important question going from someone who has no clue what they are doing on PL08.

And to all those who i'll see on the tables later.... i'll always have it.  I may not know what IT is, but oh yes.... i'll have it.

• edited October 2013
    you MUST and can only play two of the cards dealt

so no one card flushes or straights

I may join u later for some fun
  • edited October 2013
    You MUST use two and only two of your hole cards
  • edited October 2013
    You MUST use two and only two of your hole cards
    Posted by Slykllist
    Delightful!  Thanks

How would one go about bluffing on PL08?  I imagine its near enough impossible?

To those later... I again say I will have it.  I will not be bluffing (on purpose).
  • edited October 2013
    And am i right in saying aces play for the low pot as well?  Or have I just made that up?
  • edited October 2013
    The other category of really bad opening hands are "rainbow" hands, all four different suits, and always be wary when you have only two "low" cards in your hand and one of them appears on board e.g. if you have AKK2, and 2 appears on the board, you are no longer necessarily favourite to have the low nuts.
  • edited October 2013
    And am i right in saying aces play for the low pot as well?  Or have I just made that up?
    Posted by gazza127

Yes, Aces play as low as well as high. A wheel is the low nuts.
  • edited October 2013
    you must use 2 cards from yours and 3 from the board ..the high part is the same rules as holdem. The lo hand is ace too eight .the best low is A-2-3-4-5. hope that helps a bit and will prob see u at the tables.......

TIKAY..you could have told me this sooner:@)
    2) There are a LOT more good "Low" starting hands, but remember, most of the time you are only going to get half the pot with the low. There may not even BE a low. If you keep calling for Lows, eventually you will lose all your money. Faced with a "one-way" hand, go for the High rather than the Low - there is ALWAYS a High Hand, every single hand. There is sometimes a Low hand.....

3) A LOT of hands in PLO8 look nice pre-flop. After the flop, most look like I do first thing in the morning. Horrible. Try NOT to play too many hands, it will cost you money if you do.

lol no seriously cheers for the advice when were on the tables ..trying too take it in see you later :@)
  • edited October 2013
    ok might have a go but treat me gently never played cash before

...er dont think i should have told you that
  • edited October 2013
    I always check out for PLO8 tables but there never seems to be any ever going and I can never be bothered opening one up since it takes forever to find anyone wanting to play - and even then it's usually someone with 20bbs where it's pointless playing HU vs them as the rake will mean my profit vs them is minimal!

I've opened up a 2p.4p table if anyone wants to join?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got...... : Delightful!  Thanks How would one go about bluffing on PL08?  I imagine its near enough impossible? To those later... I again say I will have it.  I will not be bluffing (on purpose).
    Posted by gazza127
    If you are inexperienced, do NOT even try it!

Remember, people can have a low, a high, or a bad one of both. "2nd nuts both ways" are certain to call. People can call VERY light, as either end might be good. Three way, on a high/low Board, it is near impssible to get a bluff through, & remember, you canot shove all-in - it is POT LIMIT.

• edited October 2013
    OK so first pot got it all in with nut low and nut flush draw + gutter on a paired board. was up against a bare 5 and scooped the pot! Unfortunately the rake on the pot was a massive 70p in an £8 pot!! 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got...... : If only there was somebody we knew who had cashed in a WSOP PLO8 event!  :)
    Posted by Sky_Poker

I would want his autograph,

But then I expect Phil is a tad too busy ;)
  • edited October 2013
    There is a really good little £5.50 £100 gt OMAHA hi/lo mtt at 20.25 if any one wants to play.
    It gets around 25 runners so would be great if we could get more and then maybe one day have a bigger buy in omaha hi/lo mtt.
  • edited October 2013

With a large amount of split pots. Do you find the rake taken becomes to high to play cash games?

• edited October 2013
    Currently a 4 quid hilo table going with Craigcu, Jams88 and FCHD, oh and me for the value!

Come join

• edited October 2013

is their any hands worth calling preflop which don't contain more than one low card.

• edited October 2013
    Back from dinner so im giving it another go better luck/play this time maybe
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by gazza127
    Standard approach to NLH no?
  • edited October 2013
    is their any hands worth calling preflop which don't contain more than one low card.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Yes a good omaha hand is still worth calling with sometimes because there will always be a high winner and sometimes no low.
  • edited October 2013
    I have opened up nl10 table so come on and take me on - gogogogogogogo
  • edited October 2013
    Just in and will be joining shortly

One key point I didn't see mentioned before (it may have been and I missed it but I'll say again it's important)

Flushes and Straights do not score in Lo hands.

Hence...

The nut low hand is 54321 (a 5 lo hand)

Unfortunately I tried playing a few PLO games before I worked that one out!