You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO8 - you asked, you got......

Comments

• edited October 2013
    enjoyed that still rubbish at  this but learning sloooooowly. cheaper than losing dyms constantly while learning. ty sky
  • edited October 2013
    Another tip - if you call a big bet and win only one side of the pot, the rake can mean you end up "winning" less than you put in, and these sort of pots happen quite frequently so beware.
  • edited October 2013
    who asked for this tk?

• edited October 2013
    tikay I think. Confessed he was struggling to win at PLO8 on here so found a means of suckering some fish to pay him off on some cash tables.

I am afraid I obliged with a tikay donation

Not sure if I could get away from the hand though - had nut flush draw, up/down nut str8 draw and ended up with 2nd nut lo to make it seem worth calling off on the river.

:-(

don't mind though enjoying the learning experience.

:-)

• edited October 2013
    The rake is definitely a killer here. I'd love to play more PLO8 but unless the rake is decreased I don't think I'm going to be playing it :(
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got......:
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got...... : Standard approach to NLH no?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Ha!  You're funny.... man?

FYI I donked off 2.5 buy ins within half an hour.  Mainly cause i didnt know what the freaking low pot was for!

Think i might stay away for PL08.

Sorry Tikay but you and the other regs will have to get your money from other fish. :)
  • edited October 2013
    who asked for this tk?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ha!

Confirmed it was NOT me.
  • edited October 2013
    The rake is definitely a killer here. I'd love to play more PLO8 but unless the rake is decreased I don't think I'm going to be playing it :(
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Several people have mentioned this.......but I am not sure why are they trying to win "splits"? The whole idea is to try & scoop - win the lot.
  • edited October 2013
    tikay I think. Confessed he was struggling to win at PLO8 on here so found a means of suckering some fish to pay him off on some cash tables. I am afraid I obliged with a tikay donation Not sure if I could get away from the hand though - had nut flush draw, up/down nut str8 draw and ended up with 2nd nut lo to make it seem worth calling off on the river. :-( don't mind though enjoying the learning experience. :-)
    Posted by Phantom66
    This is very much how PLO & PLO8 works. It is a drawing game.

You have to be prepared - repeatedly - to get the lot in with striong drawing hands. Whatever you have in front of you (cash) should go in numerous times over a single session in the correct circumstances.

Two nut high draws, & a 2nd nut low draw - it is always correct to get it in here, you had so many ways of winning.

I thought you ran a bit bad overall, but I hope you enjoyed it.

It is a VERY different game to NLH, with many subtleties & nuances.

• edited October 2013
    Just in and will be joining shortly One key point I didn't see mentioned before (it may have been and I missed it but I'll say again it's important) Flushes and Straights do not score in Lo hands. Hence... The nut low hand is 54321 (a 5 lo hand) Unfortunately I tried playing a few PLO games before I worked that one out!
    Posted by Phantom66
    I felt a little bad that several players were not aware of this.

In the "Low" hands in PLO8, the regular rules of poker & Hand Rankings are not relevant.

Pairs, 2 pairs, sets, flushes, full houses, none of these count in a "Low".

Even more confusing, whilst the best (nut) Low hand is a straight, aka "the wheel" (A-2-3-4-5) this is NOT deemed a straight for the Low pot. It is the nut low, NOT a straight. For the high hand, it IS a straight.

In most (not all) cases, A-2-3-4-5 will be a "scoop", being the Nut Low, & a 5 high straight.

PLO8 is all about scoops.

• edited October 2013
    is their any hands worth calling preflop which don't contain more than one low card.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Yes - lots & lots of them, though better to raise than call.

You are not trying to win the Low, you are trying to win the high. Win the high, & if there is no qualifying low hand out there, you get the lot.

In every completed hand of PLO8 there is a High Hand.

In SOME completed hands of PLO8 there is a Low Hand.

There is ALWAYS A HIGH.

There is NOT ALWAYS A LOW.

Try & win those High Pots, they are far more +Ev than Low hands.

• edited October 2013
    There is a really good little £5.50 £100 gt OMAHA hi/lo mtt at 20.25 if any one wants to play. It gets around 25 runners so would be great if we could get more and then maybe one day have a bigger buy in omaha hi/lo mtt.
    Posted by jonjo75
    I will try & enter this tonight or tomorrow.

I have some business in the Midlands this afternoon, so I'm not certain to be back in time, but I'll definitely play this if I am home in time tonight, & will do so again tomorrow & Friday.

I'll enter tonight's one NOW, so you may even get a Freeroll on me, as I might not be home in time. Fill yer boots.
  • edited October 2013

Tonight's 8.25pm £100 Guaranteed PLO8 Tourney.....

tikay12000
    I may not be home in time - feel free to start without me.......
  • edited October 2013

Any more PLO8 questions, please fire away.

We had three full tables running last night, & people seemed to be enjoying the game.

I may not be able to play again tonight, but I'll be on the PLO8 Cash Tables any night this wek there is a game going.

Don't forget, it is Double Rewards week this week, too, which really helps.
  • edited October 2013
    Well I had an hour on a table with PL08 cash for the very 1st time and to be honest the 1st half hr I had no idea what I was doing and folded virtually every hand. The second half hr was a little clearer it did help when I flopped quad 2s and had someone betting into me I thought I was good here. Again being honest I only really ever considered the high hand I guess  that's the NLH mindset and a couple of times I raised with a full house against 1 oppo only to boost the rake as they were in it for the low hand but I managed some how to make a couple of £.
    Overall I did enjoy playing something different and will likely give it another shot at some point.
  • edited October 2013
    PLO8 FTW
    has to be by far the most interesting version of poker played on Sky
    played my first DYM for years the other day - just to be able to sit at a PLO8 table with Tikay
    roll up, roll up
  • edited October 2013
    Had an hour on one table last night and really enjoyed it.
    First time on any sort of cash table and only been playing PLO8 for a month or so.
    Managed to river a FH to take TK's money , so lifes good :-)
    Will try it again when i can.
  • edited October 2013
    Q Tikay limping! Is this a more common feature in PLO8? as there was quite a bit of it on the table I was on. Or was it just the newbies not knowing what they were doing?
  • edited October 2013
    PLO8 FTW has to be by far the most interesting version of poker played on Sky played my first DYM for years the other day - just to be able to sit at a PLO8 table with Tikay roll up, roll up
    Posted by GELDY
    If memory serves corect, you took my money, too......

Can't really say PLO8 is "the most interesting version of poker on Sky Poker" thaqt is subjective, but personally, yes, it requires quite a degree of thought, partly because Pot Limit means we cannot just shove people off hands, & partly because the complexities of PLO8 are so intricate & deep. A 3 way hand, & we have the high locked up, & we are pretty sure BOTH the others have the nut low is quite an interesting spot....we are freerolling here. But what if one of those two also has the same high as us. (Broadway straight, for example). Now WE are being freerolled.

Decisions decisions......

I play PLO8 on this site every night I am at home, I find it incredibly relaxing, & satisfying. I almost never see "bad losers" shooting their mouth, either. 

Just got to find a way to win now......

"Quartered" pots can be very complex to grasp.
  • edited October 2013
    Q Tikay limping! Is this a more common feature in PLO8? as there was quite a bit of it on the table I was on. Or was it just the newbies not knowing what they were doing?
    Posted by a00rock
    Limping is MUCH more common in PLO8, & in many circumstances, perfectly correct.

Personally, if I have the Button, & several limpers, I either fold, or "POT", every time, I (almost) never limp on the Button in PLO8.

UTG, yes, I often limp. People will call with almost any 4 cards, so Raising UTG makes for some tough spots down the streets in a bloated pot.

Imagine raising with "bad" Aces UTG, say A-A-9-7, no suits. We get 5 callers. What do we do on the flop unless it contains an Ace? And if an Ace flops, this brings all the low hands into play.......  

• edited October 2013
    Had an hour on one table last night and really enjoyed it. First time on any sort of cash table and only been playing PLO8 for a month or so. Managed to river a FH to take TK's money , so lifes good :-) Will try it again when i can.
    Posted by VespaPX
    That was a classic hand, the PLO8 equivelant of A-K v Queens in NLH.

I flopped the nut straight (Broadway), you flopped Top Set, Kings. Nobody is folding there, unless it comes one suit or somesuch.

Full double up for you when that J paired!

Nobody did anything wrong, both players played it perfectly, one lost the lot, one got the lot.  
  • edited October 2013
    I played exactly 100 hands last night on the PLO8 4p tables and thoroughly enjoyed it

While my good lady I in hospital it is a great way to unwind at the end of the day

I feel if I play a game I already know well, any bad beats/mistakes would most likely put me on tilt - as I am learning PLO8 I can shrug off losses as a learning experience.

Total loss on the night of £0.49 so it isn't crippling the bankroll (yet).

Here's a few examples. Hopefully some of us can learn something from them. Me included with some feedback!

First was my biggest win of the night and an example of a "scoop". I flopped the nut straight and a pretty good lo got some action and both hands held up through the streets. Note the opponents "better lo" with A2 wasn't made as their 2 paired. With only 3 lo cards on the board and 2 lo cards in your hand you don't have a lo hand if you have a lo pair.

If opponent had held A3 or A4 they would have bettered my lo and split the pot.

NB I will edit this post and come back when I have worked out how to post hands properly!

For some reason the card suits are not showing.
  • edited October 2013
    gg enjoyed  it, need to study some as flatting quads is never +EV

will try and break away and play more of this
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got...... : Several people have mentioned this.......but I am not sure why are they trying to win "splits"? The whole idea is to try & scoop - win the lot.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I know the idea is to scoop but a lot of time that's not possible meaning on a lot of pots we end up just losing money on the rake. And even when you do scoop (as I did in my first pot last night) the rake taken is huge!! I won £7.30 in an £8 pot. I don't know the exact rake in holdem but I'm guessing you would win around £7.80 back?

It seems like in PL08 it charges the same high rake for both pots - and in a game where splitting occurs frequently, it means being charged way more rake then is fair.

I'm not sure if this is the same on other sites - I've asked on 2+2 but if it isn't the same I think it's something that needs rethinking. It's no wonder you struggle to make a profit here tikay with the rake like this!! :P
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah, I think the rake was incorrectly calculated in some of the higher pots

For example. the last pot I was dealt into (but didn't play), according to my hand history, the pot was £9.49 yet the returns were £4.29 & £4.27 (which is odd in itself, why not £4.28 each). meaning that 9.8% rake was taken, not the advertised 7.5%. I'm sure there were other examples too.
  • edited October 2013
    Q ....If you have 2 say hearts A & 2 in your hand and 4 random hearts hit the streets would you still have the nut flush or has the hand been compromised because the 2 would not play?

Ho and looking back I played for over 2 hrs (140 hands) not 1 lol time flies when your having fun.
  • edited October 2013
    Q ....If you have 2 say hearts A & 2 in your hand and 4 random hearts hit the streets would you still have the nut flush or has the hand been compromised because the 2 would not play? Ho and looking back I played for over 2 hrs (140 hands) not 1 lol time flies when your having fun.
    Posted by a00rock
      When looking at your hand. It consists of exactly 2 cards from your hand and 3 from the board, no other combinations are possible. So if a fourth of a suit comes down it is effectively a total brick card with no value at all.
     You can never use just one card from your hadn or none as you do in holdem. Does lead to some weird nut making hands. For example if your hand included 9s2s on a board that had a royal flush in spades on it then you would have the total lock down nuts. But quite funny getting called by someone who thinks they are splitting it though
  • edited October 2013
    Q ....If you have 2 say hearts A & 2 in your hand and 4 random hearts hit the streets would you still have the nut flush or has the hand been compromised because the 2 would not play? Ho and looking back I played for over 2 hrs (140 hands) not 1 lol time flies when your having fun.
    Posted by a00rock
    You have to play 2 cards at all times with 3 community for both pots, so...

in your example you have the nut flush whether 3 4 or 5 hearts hit the board so as long as nut flush is the nut hand happy days.

In that hand if 3 of the board are 8 or lower (but not A or 2) you have also made the nut lo so it is a very strong hand!
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by a00rock

you would still have the nut flush as you have the ace :@)