You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO8 - you asked, you got......

13»

Comments

• edited October 2013
     With this thread being about PLO8 specifically thought i would throw in 3 pointers to help others.

1) A2 in your hand is NOT the nuts. You should not be calling with just this unless you have other combos available to win the high, or you are just chasing a potential low to win only half the pot,

2) Never call big bets in a HU pot with just the nut lo draw. If you miss you are throwing money away. And if you hit then at best you will getting your money back minus rake, or worst case quartering the pot.

3) There are times when the underbet is the best thing to do to increase your winnings. It encourages multiple callers. A good example of this would on a board of 882 when you hold 88xx. This is a pot where you want to keep all your customers interested. Big bets would only drive them away and going heads up would most likely lead to a split pot.
  • edited October 2013

Player
    ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    tikay1 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.65
    ?????? Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £10.44
    hawk7112 Sit out     
      Your hole cards

a00rock Call  £0.04 £0.10 £7.33
    Phantom66 Fold     
    tikay1 Call  £0.02 £0.12 £5.63
    ??????? Raise  £0.04 £0.16 £10.40
    a00rock Call  £0.04 £0.20 £7.29
    tikay1 Call  £0.04 £0.24 £5.59
    Flop

• K

tikay1 Check     
    ??????? Bet  £0.12 £0.36 £10.28
    a00rock Call  £0.12 £0.48 £7.17
    tikay1 Fold     
    Turn

??????? Bet  £0.20 £0.68 £10.08
    a00rock Call  £0.20 £0.88 £6.97
    River

• Q

??????? Bet  £0.16 £1.04 £9.92
    a00rock Raise  £0.76 £1.80 £6.21
    ??????? Call  £0.60 £2.40 £9.32
    a00rock Show

?????? Muck
    • A
    • K
    • A

a00rock Win high Four 2s £2.22  £8.43
     No qualifying low hand

WAS THIS OK TALON FOR A NOVICE THAT IS?

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got......:
    Tonight's 8.25pm £100 Guaranteed PLO8 Tourney..... tikay1 2000 I may not be home in time - feel free to start without me.......
    Posted by Tikay10
    Have had to withdraw from this, as I am still stuck in the Midlands, & am now very doubtful to be home in time.

I'll enter if I get home in time, if not, I'll play it tomorrow.

Apologies.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - you asked, you got...... : Have had to withdraw from this, as I am still stuck in the Midlands, & am now very doubtful to be home in time. I'll enter if I get home in time, if not, I'll play it tomorrow. Apologies.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Been sent to Coventry again?
  • edited October 2013
     With this thread being about PLO8 specifically thought i would throw in 3 pointers to help others.  1) A2 in your hand is NOT the nuts. You should not be calling with just this unless you have other combos available to win the high, or you are just chasing a potential low to win only half the pot,  2) Never call big bets in a HU pot with just the nut lo draw. If you miss you are throwing money away. And if you hit then at best you will getting your money back minus rake, or worst case quartering the pot.  3) There are times when the underbet is the best thing to do to increase your winnings. It encourages multiple callers. A good example of this would on a board of 882 when you hold 88xx. This is a pot where you want to keep all your customers interested. Big bets would only drive them away and going heads up would most likely lead to a split pot.
    Posted by Talon

Posts like this are actually worth money, as in they'll earn you some and save a few along the way too. Cheers Talon.

• edited October 2013
     Mr rock.

Will give you my analtsis of that hand and it comes in 2 parts.

Firstly the hand itself. Nice enough hand to take to a flop as it has lots of potential. The pair is a bit suspect as it will only ever hit bottom set or underhouses which can cost a lot of money in the 4 card games. The flush is also an aspect to worry about as it will probably never be good. The parts of the hand that you should like the most are the 25 and 35 because they are beautiful scoop drawing hands. They can give nut straights and nut Los at the same time.

The hand being played out. Both good and bad in here.

Preflop: fine got in cheap, with big potential.
     Flop: Perfect. Couldnt have possibly hoped for better, but difficult to see hands paying you off from here except KKxx. So flatting in position is spot on.

Turn: This is where it starts to go a bit wron. The opponent has lead out weaker than on the flop so the pot is not building as you would have hoped. You have picked up the equity of a good Lo draw and also new nut draw. Think you really needed to try to build the pot up a bit more here. Maybe only a click back but something to keep them in whilst building it up.

River: The raise there is strange not because of your hand but the fact that is is called by an effective bluff. Realistically this raise should only be called by a house, not an overpair. People call preflop with low cards in this game so easy to put someon on trips on this board.

So like in general but feel you missed out on value here
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah, I think the rake was incorrectly calculated in some of the higher pots For example. the last pot I was dealt into (but didn't play), according to my hand history, the pot was £9.49 yet the returns were £4.29 & £4.27 (which is odd in itself, why not £4.28 each). meaning that 9.8% rake was taken, not the advertised 7.5%. I'm sure there were other examples too.
    Posted by FCHD

I see what I'm doing wrong now - the "Total Pot" when viewing hand history summarys in "My Account" includes any unmatched bet that is returned to the big stack at showdown, in this case 23p. so the real pot was 9.26 not 9.49 so the rake calculation is correct.

Two or three of these split pots and the rake soon begins to eat into your stack though - if you go all in and get split pots three times thats 20% of your roll gone in rake just like that because you're getting back less than you put in.
  • edited October 2013
     Mr rock.  Will give you my analtsis of that hand and it comes in 2 parts.  Firstly the hand itself. Nice enough hand to take to a flop as it has lots of potential. The pair is a bit suspect as it will only ever hit bottom set or underhouses which can cost a lot of money in the 4 card games. The flush is also an aspect to worry about as it will probably never be good. The parts of the hand that you should like the most are the 25 and 35 because they are beautiful scoop drawing hands. They can give nut straights and nut Los at the same time.  The hand being played out. Both good and bad in here.  Preflop: fine got in cheap, with big potential.  Flop: Perfect. Couldnt have possibly hoped for better, but difficult to see hands paying you off from here except KKxx. So flatting in position is spot on.  Turn: This is where it starts to go a bit wron. The opponent has lead out weaker than on the flop so the pot is not building as you would have hoped. You have picked up the equity of a good Lo draw and also new nut draw. Think you really needed to try to build the pot up a bit more here. Maybe only a click back but something to keep them in whilst building it up.  River: The raise there is strange not because of your hand but the fact that is is called by an effective bluff. Realistically this raise should only be called by a house, not an overpair. People call preflop with low cards in this game so easy to put someon on trips on this board.  So like in general but feel you missed out on value here
    Posted by Talon
    Thank you for casting your eye over this hand and the thorough analysis much appreciated and I will take heed of your comments.