You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby.

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat

After some Community comments last week, two new PLO8 DYM's have been introduced today...

£0.60

£1.15

Go on, you know you want to, & you have no excuse now.

I guess if enough of these games run, they'll remain in the Lobby. If they don't, they won't......

Comments

• edited November 2013

If you have any questions about how to play DYM's, or the PLO8 variant, fire away, loads of folks will be on hand to help.
  • edited November 2013
    I'll play a few of these tonight.
  • edited November 2013

Good luck FCHD.

Great way to learn PLO8, or even brush up on it, at reasonable cost.

VERY low-variance, too, so plenty of poker per £.
  • edited November 2013
    yesssss very good news and very much appreciated....
  • edited November 2013
    I`ve always liked the look of this ,is there any books or info on line that will just give the basics, something a complete novice with no idea can understand without getting blinded by sceince
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby.:
    I`ve always liked the look of this ,is there any books or info on line that will just give the basics, something a complete novice with no idea can understand without getting blinded by sceince
    Posted by alimay

Going to have a dabble in these for sure
  • edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    As I will be trying Holdem DYMs what advice to any who is clueless in PLO8?

Also how is liquidity in PLO8 in the various levels? How often do they run?
  • edited November 2013
    Cheers Tikay & Sky
  • edited November 2013
    thank you sky we asked for them you gave us them. i can try and learn this game at a cheaper level great
  • edited November 2013
    I've played three of the 60p so far, the first one played really loose and free and was over in two shakes of a lamb's tail, the other two played very tight (noticeable that a couple of players I've got notes on from 2.25 games were on one).

Volume is good tonight, the real test will be whether this holds up over the middle to long term.
  • edited November 2013
    ok i broke my PLO8 cherry. very enjoyable, esp as i cashed despite having little idea what was going on. [an away player helped lol]

if i post a few hands it might help other newbies.

note i was limping as i want to take flops to get a feel for the game. whether that is a no no i didn't care, i just wanted to get a feel for how the game played post flop. first off a v basic question: do we have to use a different set of 2 cards for the high and low element of the pot?

now onto the hands:

here i raise. hand has no lo potential but has a good shot at the high? betting the open ender is ok, even though it's obvious im on a draw here?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    _kagawa_ Small blind   10.00 10.00 2030.00
    louisboy Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

Veronab Call   20.00 50.00 1980.00
    andysef Fold        
    TeddyBloat Raise   60.00 110.00 1970.00
    sonjack Call   60.00 170.00 1880.00
    _kagawa_ Fold        
    louisboy Fold        
    Veronab Raise   80.00 250.00 1900.00
    TeddyBloat Call   40.00 290.00 1930.00
    sonjack Call   40.00 330.00 1840.00
    Flop

Veronab Check        
    TeddyBloat Bet   165.00 495.00 1765.00
    sonjack Fold        
    Veronab Fold        
    TeddyBloat Muck        
    TeddyBloat Win   330.00   2095.00
    TeddyBloat Return   165.00 0.00 2260.00
    here i have  a nutted flush draw and do i also have a decent shot at the low. in fact is there eve a low on the board here? im only worried about the board pairing. am i overvaluing my hand here?
    TeddyBloat Small blind   50.00 50.00 2005.00
    sonjack Big blind   100.00 150.00 1762.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

_kagawa_ Fold        
    louisboy Fold        
    Veronab Fold        
    andysef Fold        
    TeddyBloat Raise   150.00 300.00 1855.00
    sonjack Call   100.00 400.00 1662.50
    Flop

TeddyBloat Bet   200.00 600.00 1655.00
    sonjack Call   200.00 800.00 1462.50
    Turn

TeddyBloat Check        
    sonjack Bet   400.00 1200.00 1062.50
    TeddyBloat Call   400.00 1600.00 1255.00
    River

TeddyBloat All-in   1255.00 2855.00 0.00
    sonjack Fold        
    TeddyBloat Muck        
    TeddyBloat Win   1600.00   1600.00
    TeddyBloat Return   1255.00 0.00 2855.00
    here i have NO idea what is going on! i flop the A high flush and i have a decent shot at scooping the lot, but the boartd pairs and theres two players going at it. i have to fold in omaha here, yah? but does the fact i have the nut low mean i should continue? is it worth chasing a split pot, if it were a heads up pot would it change ought?
    TeddyBloat Small blind   15.00 15.00 2235.00
    sonjack Big blind   30.00 45.00 1760.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

_kagawa_ Call   30.00 75.00 2075.00
    louisboy Fold        
    Veronab Fold        
    andysef Fold        
    TeddyBloat Call   15.00 90.00 2220.00
    sonjack Check        
    Flop

TeddyBloat Bet   45.00 135.00 2175.00
    sonjack Call   45.00 180.00 1715.00
    _kagawa_ Call   45.00 225.00 2030.00
    Turn

TeddyBloat Check        
    sonjack Bet   30.00 255.00 1685.00
    _kagawa_ Raise   243.75 498.75 1786.25
    TeddyBloat Fold        
    sonjack Raise   427.50 926.25 1257.50
    _kagawa_ Call   213.75 1140.00 1572.50
    River

sonjack Bet   1140.00 2280.00 117.50
    _kagawa_ Call   1140.00 3420.00 432.50
    sonjack Show
    • J

_kagawa_ Show
    • K
    • A

sonjack Win high Full House, 8s and 7s 1710.00   1827.50
    _kagawa_ Win low 8-low 1710.00   2142.50

as you can see i had no idea what was happening. would encourage others to have a go, the people playing were very friendly and chatty too
  • edited November 2013
    Hand 1 - I think you basically got lucky that no-one had anything worthwhile as a Low that they could chase post-flop and it was a rainbow board. Your bet did the job.

Hand 2 - There is no Low as there isn't three different A-8 cards on the board. The board looks pretty dry until that pair up on the river, but that also gives you a made hand. I think I'd probably go with your line here, but be kicking myself if somebody has hit the house on the river.

Hand 3 - The double paired board does mean there are loads of potential full houses out there. so I would assume that by the river, the Ace flush is probably no good. However, you have the Low nuts, and with three people playing, even if you get "quartered" you're still not too far off breaking even. If it was heads up I think it would be a fold considering how few chips you've already put in to the pot, but three way I can see the benefits of calling.
  • edited November 2013

This is great stuff, thanks lads.

Any PLO8, PLO or DYM questions, fire away, plenty of folks here on hand to help.

I kept an eye on the Lobby last night, & a good few games were running all evening at £0.60 & £1.15.

You will struggle to make your fortune playing these, but you'll also struggle to lose much money in them, by the very nature of how they play. They are the ideal vehicle to help anyone learn, understand & appreciate the nuances of PLO8, which really is The Beautiful Game, imo.  
  • edited November 2013

Teddy;

The replies FCHD gave are much the same as I'd reply.

The one with the flopped nut flush would have anyone scratching their head, believe me. So many possible scenarios here.

Without the pair up, we want to do the OPPOSITE of traditional poker wisdom, in that we MUST NOT LOSE OUR CUSTOMERS, as we are three-quartering all of them. String them all along with small bets, then bet the lot on the river, none of them holding A-2 will fold. We have THE best situation ever here, this is THE perfect scoopio situation, we have the hand we wait for all day. And yet, the moment the Board pairs, EVERYTHING changes, now we could be in a world of pain. In that spot, we can't really get off the hand, but I just check/call down.

And there you have some of the beauty of PLO8.   
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks fchd and tikay. Hope to see you at the tables
  • edited November 2013

Did any of you guys find a situation in those new PLO8 DYM's where you folded A-A-x-x pre-flop?

If you play 10 PLO8 DYM's in a night, that situation WILL arise once or twice.

Can you fold them?.......
  • edited November 2013
    This is great stuff, thanks lads. Any PLO8, PLO or DYM questions, fire away, plenty of folks here on hand to help.   I kept an eye on the Lobby last night, & a good few games were running all evening at £0.60 & £1.15. You will struggle to make your fortune playing these, but you'll also struggle to lose much money in them, by the very nature of how they play. They are the ideal vehicle to help anyone learn, understand & appreciate the nuances of PLO8, which really is  The Beautiful Game , imo.  
    Posted by Tikay10

there was a few of them playing. but on the downside not as many 2.25 games filling as quick as they ussually do .think the novelty will wear off in a month or 2 and it will just be back too the same regs playing day in day out
  • edited November 2013
    As I will be trying Holdem DYMs what advice to any who is clueless in PLO8? Also how is liquidity in PLO8 in the various levels? How often do they run?
    Posted by DimTzar
    usually the  games at 2,25 and 5.50 fill quite quick at night.during the day it is a wee bit slower but the 2.25 games will still fill up just register and others will join
  • edited November 2013
    I think I did fold AAxx as i was a big chipleader and there was an away player, I also binned a middling connecyibg hand think it was 679T which I figured might be great in regular Omaha but not much to write home about when the blinds are high in a hi-lo dym

Dont know how you play this live tikay,  id have been lost without the hand info under the flop.

Have you got two brains?
  • edited November 2013
    also should mention that there are 3x £1.10 buy in hi/lo tourneys every day at 2.50 ,7.50,9.20pm usually there is about 20 to 30 runners in the earlier 2 so 1st place is £10 plus most times and these are a good way of learning as you play ..the 9.20 game has fewer players usually about 10 most of the time less than that.

there is also a couple of 3.30 tournaments as well 12.25 , 4.25  and another at 1025pm (or about those times)not as many play these compared too the £1.10

and finally there is the £100gtd £5.50 buy in at 8.25 pm usually between 20-30 runners

gl at the tables......tikay can you ask sky about this please?????

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3a3e58dba3-40f2-494c-9832-8812694e9fe6Discussion%3af4d2a75a-2e02-4ab7-8ffd-e00eb0dc8e7b
  • edited November 2013
    I think I did fold AAxx as i was a big chipleader and there was an away player, I also binned a middling connecyibg hand think it was 679T which I figured might be great in regular Omaha but not much to write home about when the blinds are high in a hi-lo dym Dont know how you play this live tikay,  id have been lost without the hand info under the flop. Have you got two brains?
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Hands like 6-7-9-T should ALWAYS go straight in the muck, pre-flop, (ordinarily, assuming no weird stack dynamics), when playing PLO8.

7, 8 & 9 are known as "Killer Cards" in PLO8, they kill your hand, they only make bad low OR High hands, & you can almost never have "nut-nut" with such cards. Remember, we ONLY want "scoop" hands, or hands which at least make a nut at either end. Almost impossible with such cards as 7-7-8-9.

Just guessing, I'll have a look tonight, but I doubt any hand in the Top 500 PLO8 hands contains more than one 7, 8 or 9.

OK, we'd probably play A-A-7-8 & the like sometimes, but even that is a really bad hand to go to war with.

Two brains? Me? I'm struggling with the one I have these days, mine is only half what iy used to be. It's just something you just learn with time. Keeps you interested, too, as some of the decisions are quite complex.

• edited November 2013
    Played 5 of the 60p last night for the first time, they where a buzz,
    Getting some idea of starting hands its when to raise I have problems with.
    should I go with if its good enough to play its good enough to raise?

• edited November 2013
    Great stuff Tikay.I love hi lo.Let's face it how can anyone not love a game where you can flop a royal flush and still only split the pot lol.
  • edited November 2013
    Hand 1 - I think you basically got lucky that no-one had anything worthwhile as a Low that they could chase post-flop and it was a rainbow board. Your bet did the job. Hand 2 - There is no Low as there isn't three different A-8 cards on the board. The board looks pretty dry until that pair up on the river, but that also gives you a made hand. I think I'd probably go with your line here, but be kicking myself if somebody has hit the house on the river. Hand 3 - The double paired board does mean there are loads of potential full houses out there. so I would assume that by the river, the Ace flush is probably no good. However, you have the Low nuts, and with three people playing, even if you get "quartered" you're still not too far off breaking even. If it was heads up I think it would be a fold considering how few chips you've already put in to the pot, but three way I can see the benefits of calling.
    Posted by FCHD
      Highlighted the response to hand 3 here because of some of the idiosynchrosies of playing PLO8. Firstly when folded it was only single paired, the second didnt arrive until the river. But a double paired board in omaha is actually less likely to yield a house than in NLHE. In normal holdem you would only need to hit one card to make the house here but in omaha you still will have had to hit this board twice in order to have the big hand. As far as the Lo is concerned i believe that you should have continued because as was rightly said 3 way it is massive, if it had gone headsup then i would be folding very quickly because you would only be calling to get you chips back at best
  • edited November 2013
    Ok I dont understand why its better to call here 3 way. Excuse the ignorance.  Id have thougt that heads up id be more likely to be grabbing at least the  the lo pot, if its three-way theres more chance of being up against a house for the high  and more chance that another A2 will be splitting the low with me.especially given the action.  Is it because collecting the low pot three way is profitable as opposed to break even heads up?

• edited November 2013
    Ok I dont understand why its better to call here 3 way. Excuse the ignorance.  Id have thougt that heads up id be more likely to be grabbing at least the  the lo pot, if its three-way theres more chance of being up against a house for the high  and more chance that another A2 will be splitting the low with me.especially given the action.  Is it because collecting the low pot three way is profitable as opposed to break even heads up?
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Ok when you consider ranges of the opponents on the board into effect then you are looking at most likely halving or quartering the pot whether HU or 3 way.

So for the maths side.

HU  Put in 50% of pot to win either 25% or 50%.
     3Way. Put in 33% of pot to win either 25% or 50%.

So this means that HU it is always a losing play to be playing nut Lo only, or break even at best. Yet 3 way it is either small loss or slightly bigger win to play it. Lo only hands play really well multiway but really poorly HU
  • edited November 2013
    Thank you talon.

Well explained
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby. :   Ok when you consider ranges of the opponents on the board into effect then you are looking at most likely halving or quartering the pot whether HU or 3 way.    So for the maths side.    HU  Put in 50% of pot to win either 25% or 50%.  3Way. Put in 33% of pot to win either 25% or 50%.   So this means that HU it is always a losing play to be playing nut Lo only, or break even at best. Yet 3 way it is either small loss or slightly bigger win to play it. Lo only hands play really well multiway but really poorly HU
    Posted by Talon
    Beautifully explained, & it also shows the wonderful complexities & nuances in this wonderful game.
  • edited November 2013
    also should mention that there are 3x £1.10 buy in hi/lo tourneys every day at 2.50 ,7.50,9.20pm usually there is about 20 to 30 runners in the earlier 2 so 1st place is £10 plus most times and these are a good way of learning as you play ..the 9.20 game has fewer players usually about 10 most of the time less than that. there is also a couple of 3.30 tournaments as well 12.25 , 4.25  and another at 1025pm (or about those times)not as many play these compared too the £1.10 and finally there is the £100gtd £5.50 buy in at 8.25 pm usually between 20-30 runners gl at the tables......tikay can you ask sky about this please????? https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3a3e58dba3-40f2-494c-9832-8812694e9fe6Discussion%3af4d2a75a-2e02-4ab7-8ffd-e00eb0dc8e7b
    Posted by churchy18
    I have replied accordingly.