You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby.:
    Great stuff Tikay.I love hi lo.Let's face it how can anyone not love a game where you can flop a royal flush and still only split the pot lol.
    Posted by jjjach
    True!

Quite often, we get it in with Aces, & get beaten for the high by some bag of spanners that hits 2 pairs, but we hit our "Emergency Low" (A-8 or whatever) & get the Low Pot. A mixture of disappointment & relief, we lost but we never lost.

Or we have Aces, & our danglers win the pot by hitting 2 pair. Ooohhh.  

• edited November 2013
    Any advice for a PLO8 newbie?
  • edited November 2013

I have searched but cant find a Post on the Community somewhere, where a chap asked a few days ago if the same cards could be used for BOTH Pots in PLO8.

The answer is "yes".

Think of it this way. We are playing two seperate games, with two seperate pots. Any 2 cards from our 4 can be used in either pot, we can use the same 2 twice, or a different two, or any combo. 

For example, if we have a hand that includes A-2 of hearts, & the board runs out 4h-5s-7h-Kh-Qc, we use the A-2 of hearts in our hand to claim BOTH pots.

If you are unsure what is the best hand, there is an Option which shows the hand description for your two hands on the Table, it will say, for example, "Ace High Straight", & "No Low". Only youi can see this. It is very useful for those learning the game.  

• edited November 2013
    How do I win the low pot?

Do I need to have no pair or better?
  • edited November 2013
    How do I win the low pot? Do I need to have no pair or better?
    Posted by DimTzar
    Hi Dimitrios/Jim. See, I read your explanation. ;)

I'll try & answer that shortly, also your other question, I just need to do some other bits & bobs first.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby. : Hi Dimitrios/Jim. See, I read your explanation. ;) I'll try & answer that shortly, also your other question, I just need to do some other bits & bobs first.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I prefer DimTzar. Sounds more cool. :P

You haven't replied to my question on my new player thread though. Yellow card!

Looking forward to your reply.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby. : I prefer DimTzar. Sounds more cool. :P You haven't replied to my question on my new player thread though. Yellow card! Looking forward to your reply.
    Posted by DimTzar
    No - not yet DimTzar!

But I will, later this morning. It won't be an interesting reply though, as I am a fairly odd individual with a very eclectic range of habits.  

• edited November 2013
    I have searched but cant find a Post on the Community somewhere, where a chap asked a few days ago if the same cards could be used for BOTH Pots in PLO8. The answer is "yes".   Think of it this way. We are playing two seperate games, with two seperate pots. Any 2 cards from our 4 can be used in either pot, we can use the same 2 twice, or a different two, or any combo.  For example, if we have a hand that includes A-2 of hearts, & the board runs out 4h-5s-7h-Kh-Qc, we use the A-2 of hearts in our hand to claim BOTH pots.   If you are unsure what is the best hand, there is an Option which shows the hand description for your two hands on the Table, it will say, for example, "Ace High Straight", & "No Low". Only youi can see this. It is very useful for those learning the game.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    THat was TeddyBloat ,  His Q was.. " do we have to use a different set of 2 cards for the high and low element of the pot?"  Duly answered.

Aslo,  great to see Omaha in the ascendancy!! Only had time for a couple of games this week so far..  One £5.50 DYM where I managed with some skill to wrench defeat from the jaws of certain victory had I the discipline to just fold, fold, fold!!!  In fact, I prob could/should have gone to bed!  LUCKY for me there were no £11 hobbies running..... BUT I some real purty hands your honour!!! 

Re the second bit in bold, could I ask that in the next update of software that this be changed so that the BEST hand from all the players is shown??  ;-) 

• edited November 2013
    Posted by DimTzar

Plenty

Start with patience. Play tight in the first 4 or 5 levels

Limping is OK (and often the best play) early in a DYM/MTT

Forget most of what you learned about Hold'em - it's a completely different game

Don't get attached to one pair or a set. Chances are slim that these will hold up to be the winning high hand

Start off playing hands that have a chance to win both pots. If you only win one out of the two pots available you're not making chips

Recognise when ther won't be a low hand and that the high hand will take the lot

Realise that a lot (and I mean a lot) of the pots will be chopped

Beware playing A2 with the low pot in mind, someone else could be doing the same thing and you will end up with only half of the low pot

Don't get tilted that someone outdraws you, even if they have a completely rubbish hand to start with. Omaha (in all its variants) is a drawing game, and in the long run you will make as many cruel outdraws as others do to you.

If you're dealt quads pre-flop, muck them. You're effectively playing one pair with no chance to improve to a set, a straight or a flush, and you can't make a low hand.

That'll do for starters....
  • edited November 2013

Couple more pointers for you.

1)  AAxx is not the nuts. Needs to be played with caution.

2)  A2xx is not the nuts. Unless you have a good chance of winning the Hi then it should be binned

3)  Never ever call big bets in a HU pot chasing a Lo draw only. You are just calling hoping to get lucky and thereby get your chips back.

4) Hand priority order

Hi hand
         Scoop
         Lo hand.

There is always a Hi and you should be looking to win that. When a Lo is available then you need to be looking to scoop that is win Hi and Lo. Lo only is only splitting at best.

5) Be careful of having outs in your hand and dead. That is 3 or 4 of a kind or of a suit.

6) Always be aware that the board changes with every card that comes down and at any stage you only have the temporary nuts.

• edited November 2013
    @FCHD & Talon oh and Tikay......loving the advice!  Wish I could remember it all in the 15(?) secs I have to react!! 
  • edited November 2013
    oh and what are "Danglers"?
  • edited November 2013

A dangler is a card that doesnt work with the rest of your cards.

A good example  As Ks Kd  9h

The 9 is the dangler because it is on its own and doesnt not go with the other cards to make any sort of draw.

• edited November 2013
    great to have a low stakes buy in for these, hopefully it will encourage lots more players to plo8.

Thanks Tikay, I know we have been asking for a long while. Nice to see the suits have eventually taken notice.  Would a £3.30 DYM be too much to ask for?
  • edited November 2013
    Posted by DimTzar
    Beware drawing to a low hand with only 2 low cards in your hand, as one of them may get counterfeited by appearing on the board.

You would then need four different low cards on the board to obtain a valid low hand.

eg: hold cards A 2 9 Q

Flop 2 10  4

Your 2 has been counterfeited and you would need runner runner non pairing low cards to achieve a valid low hand. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby. : Beware drawing to a low hand with only 2 low cards in your hand, as one of them may get counterfeited by appearing on the board. You would then need four different low cards on the board to obtain a valid low hand. eg: hold cards A 2 9 Q      Flop 2 10  4 Your 2 has been counterfeited and you would need runner runner non pairing low cards to achieve a valid low hand. 
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Hey it's great that you guys are giving some great advice to the new players, especially Talon and 67Bhoys . .  but I hope you don't end up being beaten by the people you have taught so well, :/  lol.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby. : Hey it's great that you guys are giving some great advice to the new players, especially Talon and 67Bhoys . .  but I hope you don't end up being beaten by the people you have taught so well, :/  lol.
    Posted by JimRiddle7
     My advice comes in 2 parts really. Firstly i have the mentality that loves the fact that the knowledge has been passed on. If it means that someone becomes better than me then it would make me happy. Secondly by giving the advice i am thinking about the game myself which can only be of help to me as well
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby. :  My advice comes in 2 parts really. Firstly i have the mentality that loves the fact that the knowledge has been passed on. If it means that someone becomes better than me then it would make me happy. Secondly by giving the advice i am thinking about the game myself which can only be of help to me as well
    Posted by Talon
    I love that mentality, & it definitely has a feel-good factor about it.

Fancy living in a world where we refused to help each other, or share our knowelerdge, it'd be dreadful.

• edited November 2013
    Hello Guy`s  , Just browsing this thread and it`s Great reading!! One  KEY piece of Advice I can give  in any Omaha hi-lo game is.... Always remember that lo is the Master and more often than not with correct play we can further enhance our hands with the  follow up Turn and river to claim both pots. The game is really a fine Art and balance concerning the lo hand . We can manipulate the play to our advantage and even push away winning marginal high hands to reap the full rewards of the pot. The more players in a pot the less likely you will win . Betting pre-flop  ( hold cards acceptable ) can drive players away and may be  a strategy you really should consider once you are established  with your own ability. One word of Warning!!! not all player will buckle , The magician never divulges his full recipe So you must Always be vigilant .   Play the micros till you are comfortable with your own game ,Watch other tables and players  and note how when and where they win most pots. Strategically this game rather reminds me of a game of chess is someway. You will surely have your highs and lows invariably ...So try to  never EVER lose your discipline. One final pointer.........Enjoy this fine game & Good Luck!!! Best Regards,
    Posted by footsie66
    Oooh, happy days, & welcome to the thread Mr Footsie.

For those not in the loop.......

I believe Mr Footsie mainly plays HU PLO8 SNG's, but in the last 3 or 4 days, has played every £11 PLO8 DYM which has run, along with myself.

More than any player I have seen in these, he understands the crucial stack dynamics when 4 handed, especially when there is one shortie, as there often is. Simply, the 3 big stacks don't  (or should not) tangle, & even give "walks" from the SB with decent hands, as it is all about the shortie, & there is no point the big stacks clashing. There is never any spoken suggestion to target the shortie, but thats how it works. Remarkably, very few players seem to understand this. And as I am often the shortie, I am rather pleased about this, when I'm sat there with 2 Bigs & two Big Stacks go to war, I'm loving life.

I'm not going to "expose" his game style, but he is far & away the best player I've seen in these PLO8 DYM's. It does not worry, or scare me, as I have my own style, but this guy knows exactly what is what.

He's also been partly responsible for the surge in £11 PLO8 DYM's the last few days - no less than thirteen ran yesterday, a record for this Format on Sky Poker by a very long way, I'd say, it used to be the case that only 1 or 2 per day ran.

He has asked for some £22 ones to go in the Lobby, & I've sent that suggestion upstairs, though I think it unlikely they'll agree, but we'll see, you never know.

We got chatting on the table - awkward & truncated, with 3 or 4 tables popping up - but it seems we may have met in real life, as he used to play the Live games up at Stanley Newcastle back in the day, as I did, too, & it seems we have numerous acquaintances in common, including Steve Liu, the incredibly crazy Latif, (official), James Browning, & The Great Man himself, Eric Barker, now no longer with us accordng to some sources.

There is a story about Eric which is the greatest poker story ever, but that'll have to wait until another day. Eric was also in the Final at Luton (3rd) in which Thewy made his first big "breakthrough" win in around 2004, for £48,000 as I recall. Eric was - or is - one of the great characters & friends I've ever met through poker, & his game was ultra aggro, way before that became fashionable. 

There used to be "Poker Festivals" regularly (think UKPC), & they had one at Gala Teeside in around 2003. Eric won all three Events, on consecutive nights, & never done "business" in any of them. I doubt anyone else has ever achieved that.

Anyway, welcome aboard Footsie. 

And he's right that PLO8 is like a game of chess. The hands we play, & cards we are dealt, are less than half the battle in DYM's, it's so much about stack dynamics, & awareness of what others are doing when 4 handed. 5 & 6 handed, with the Blinds small, is of no real interest, it's all about 4 handed play. It's a sin to bust before we get 4 handed in these things, unless super-coolered, really.          
  • edited November 2013

Mr Footsie footnote.

I mucked a set of aces on the flop v him yesterday, as he & I both had big stacks, & there was a shortie. It hurt a bit, but is absolutely the correct play. He had "made up" in the SB, very unusually for him at big Blinds, & I was in the Big with bad Aces. It just made no sense to go to war, so I folded. I'm pretty sure he'd do the same in those circumstances.

Can't be many instances where folding a set of Aces on a dry flop is correct, but this was. (Flop was A-9-5, rainbow). Why go to war when we don't need to? 

• edited November 2013
      Couple more pointers for you.  1)  AAxx is not the nuts. Needs to be played with caution.  2)  A2xx is not the nuts. Unless you have a good chance of winning the Hi then it should be binned  3)  Never ever call big bets in a HU pot chasing a Lo draw only. You are just calling hoping to get lucky and thereby get your chips back.  4) Hand priority order      Hi hand      Scoop      Lo hand.   There is always a Hi and you should be looking to win that. When a Lo is available then you need to be looking to scoop that is win Hi and Lo. Lo only is only splitting at best.  5) Be careful of having outs in your hand and dead. That is 3 or 4 of a kind or of a suit.  6) Always be aware that the board changes with every card that comes down and at any stage you only have the temporary nuts.
    Posted by Talon
    hi Talon,
    this was my understanding of to scoop, but Tikay uses it to mean the whole pot, whether hi & lo, or hi only.
    just wondering your thoughts on that
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap as Chips! New affordable PLO8 DYM's now in the Lobby. : hi Talon, this was my understanding of to scoop, but Tikay uses it to mean the whole pot, whether hi & lo, or hi only. just wondering your thoughts on that
    Posted by GELDY
     Just different terminology really. For me personally if you win the pot with only the Hi then you just win. Could be considered a scoop i suppose but that is the way i see it.

The only difference is the way it is referred not the result itself so you could argue a case for saying it either way
  • edited November 2013

the one difference i see with hi lo is if holding the nut low you can use it as a great chance to bluff the river when the high part is weak.

• edited November 2013
      A good example of a bad hand and how not to play it here. Not complaining about it made me safe in the dym but still couldnt believe what i saw.
    xxx Small blind   150.00 150.00 2780.00
    Talon Big blind   300.00 450.00 2027.50
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

_kagawa_ Fold        
    tiga123 Fold        
    xxx Raise   750.00 1200.00 2030.00
    Talon All-in   2027.50 3227.50 0.00
    xxx Call   1427.50 4655.00 602.50
    xxx Show

Talon Show
    • A
    • K

Flop

• Q
    • A
    • K

Turn

River

• A

Talon Win high Full House, Aces and Kings 4655.00   4655.00
      No qualifying low hand    
  • edited November 2013
    Don't take advice from Footsie, clearly the biggest fish at HI/LO ;)

• edited November 2013
    can i have some advice on this hand lads:

particlarly unsure about what to do on the turn, i have the lo sewn up, is it ok to push here? obv very lucky to hit the flush on a paired board. felt like i was clicking buttons here. also why is my hand a 6 lo? shouldn't it be A2357? apols to talon who bubbled due to this ineptitude.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    TeddyBloat Small blind   50.00 50.00 1567.50
    Talon Big blind   100.00 150.00 1430.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

PACU Call   100.00 250.00 5272.50
    ted99 Fold        
    TeddyBloat Call   50.00 300.00 1517.50
    Talon Check        
    Flop

TeddyBloat Bet   300.00 600.00 1217.50
    Talon Fold        
    PACU Call   300.00 900.00 4972.50
    Turn

TeddyBloat Check        
    PACU Bet   900.00 1800.00 4072.50
    TeddyBloat All-in   1217.50 3017.50 0.00
    PACU Call   317.50 3335.00 3755.00
    TeddyBloat Show
    • A

PACU Show
    • K

River

TeddyBloat Win high Flush to the Ace 1667.50   1667.50
    TeddyBloat Win low 6-low 1667.50   3335.00
  • edited November 2013
    check raise on turn or bet with the intention of calling for stacks is my default. 
  • edited November 2013

Personally i like the way you played it with the nut Lo and the draws in place. So no issues with your play at all.

As far as the Lo is concerned. The river card was a 2 which menas you can no longer play the 2 in your hand

So you Had A2357 but when the 2 hit you had to play the A6 which gave you A2356
  • edited November 2013
    Your 2 in the hand does not play in the low - your hand uses the 6 and the A from your hand and the 5-3-2 from the board.