You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad hands winning on too regular a basis

Been on the naughty step before so this is probably my last post

Is anybody else getting fed up with your AA being stuffed by somebody holding 5 9 off suit and losing because they end up with a straight after going all in. It`s not just a one off it happens all the time.  It`s been nice knowing you all but I have been warned by Sky about my derogatory remarks before and I feel this may be my last Skypoker breath and will be removed as was another home truth telling post

Comments

• edited November 2013
    sigh

its not rigged... think about it... why would sky want to rig a small stakes game?!
  • edited November 2013
    Selective memory, some of us only seem to remember the times we lose rather than all the times we win with those particular hands.  It's not rigged fella, although at times you can feel as though you're fighting against an invisible force.  Well, his name is 'Variance'.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Bad hands winning on too regular a basis:
    Been on the naughty step before so this is probably my last post Is anybody else getting fed up with your AA being stuffed by somebody holding 5 9 off suit and losing because they end up with a straight after going all in. It`s not just a one off it happens all the time.  It`s been nice knowing you all but I have been warned by Sky about my derogatory remarks before and I feel this may be my last Skypoker breath and will be removed as was another home truth telling post
    Posted by mareeves11
    Know how you feel fella and I have felt the same way on several occasions usually when I am not watching what other players are doing.  Was he calling lots of hands?  I bet it was very low limit games too.  Long term he will lose doing that, but you know that.  My advice fwiw, observe!!!!   you will take a lot more off a player like that long term than he will off you.  Just saying is all.
  • edited November 2013
    I get fed up with my AA and KK and AKs getting outdrawn with weaker hands it is very frustrating at times.

News just in tho it don't just happen on here I play a number of other poker sites and it happens on them too darn it. Who would have thought it!

Run better ...Ray
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis:
    Selective memory, some of us only seem to remember the times we lose rather than all the times we win with those particular hands.  It's not rigged fella, although at times you can feel as though you're fighting against an invisible force.  Well, his name is 'Variance'.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    agreed just the other day i was playing the mini pointsroll and had a guy just banging it in all the time and finally got bored and pushed all in with a8s ,he turns his over and has aa ..i flopped a flush busted him out..3/4 hands later i get aa and a player shoves so auto all in from me he turns over 66 the board came out all over the place and then on the river he hit the 6 and boom i was busted. it smarts but remember the times that we  win v the nuts and it makes it a little bit easier too take...gl at the tables
  • edited November 2013
    Where's Harry when you need him?
  • edited November 2013
    Posted by Jac35

putting santa in the chokey and cancelling Christmas i think :@(
  • edited November 2013
    bad hands will win on a regular basis, don't be shocked by this - embrace it -

all of us will get it in bad from time to time and you know what  - sometimes we get lucky

deal with it

• edited November 2013
    bad hands will win on a regular basis, don't be shocked by this - embrace it - all of us will get it in bad from time to time and you know what  - sometimes we get lucky deal with it
    Posted by rancid
    This happened to me once.....although I think it was a leap year,.....not sure if that was relevant :)
  • edited November 2013

Some choice quotes from the "Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler.

"I can't control the cards I can only control how I play and how I react!"

“I am going to maintain a solid strategy whether I am winning or losing.”

"YOU’RE A SHI   TTY PSYCHIC AND CAN’T PREDICT WHEN IT’S GOING TO TURN AROUND. ALL YOU CAN DO IS KEEP PLAYING WELL."

"IF IT’S ALL SKILL IN THE LONG RUN, THEN YOU NEED TO FOCUS ON SKILL IN THE SHORT RUN."

"YOU CONTROL HOW YOU RESPOND TO THE CARDS, NOT WHAT CARDS ARE DEALT."

"STOP COMPLAINING. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING TO LEARN."

"MISTAKES ARE GOING TO HAPPEN. THE BIGGER MISTAKE IS LETTING ONE TURN INTO MORE."

"Rather than just thinking of money as something that’s won or lost each time you play, consider it to be an investment in your edge that yields a return over time."

"THE MONEY ON THE TABLE IS AN INVESTMENT IN YOUR EDGE. IF YOU LOST MAKING PROFITABLE PLAYS, LOSING IS TEMPORARY AS LONG AS YOU KEEP PLAYING WELL AND IMPROVING."

"I have control’–but it was the long run, not short run that I controlled, and when I realized that, a lot of my problems were solved."

“EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN’T SEEM LIKE IT RIGHT NOW, I AM BEATING THE GAMES … BUT I DON’T HAVE MUCH OF AN EDGE WHEN TILTING.”

"IT’S NOT POSSIBLE TO WIN EVERY HAND. YOUR FOCUS NEEDS TO BE ON PLAYING EVERY HAND WELL."

"The old adage, “Be careful what you wish for,” is true in this case. If you got your wish, and results in the short run were 100% connected to which player was better, what would happen? Since poker is as much a war of the perception of skill as it is of actual skill, action from weaker players would dry up, and poker would become chess."

and my favourite......

"Rather than feeling as if you’re a better player, prove it."

Hope some or any those help with suck outs!

• edited November 2013
    Posted by Jac35
    I'm here sir!
  • edited November 2013
    sigh its not rigged... think about it... why would sky want to rig a small stakes game?!
    Posted by chicknMelt

“Sigh
    Its not rigged……think about it”

Rigged is a little strong - not that the original poster mentioned the word “rigged”. He questions the frequency of “unusual” hands - its fair comment. 

I lost recently to a chip leader who had called an all-in with 52 pre-flop. My QQ was destroyed by the flop of: 5-5-2 the turn of: 2 and the river of: 5. Now, had I been playing live I think I may have had a word with the dealer about his dubious shuffling skills - Moreover, there would have been the odd expletive used in the conversation. 

I hold the view that online poker is very good value for money entertainment and Sky is as good a site as any other. For just a few pounds you can spend enjoyable hours competing against others and the “villain” known as the RNG. For the majority it will never be anything other than just entertainment - few will make any serious money and that is perfectly understandable.

When playing online we are asked to believe that the hands dealt are completely random - well, you can believe that if you wish! I prefer to use my own judgement and it tells me that the RNG should be treated with caution. However, for those that still believe in Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny… carry on - everything is how it should be.

Sky states that the RNG was audited in 2009 - perhaps a return visit from the auditors wouldn’t go amiss.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis : “Sigh Its not rigged……think about it” Rigged is a little strong - not that the original poster mentioned the word “rigged”. He questions the frequency of “unusual” hands - its fair comment.  I lost recently to a chip leader who had called an all-in with 52 pre-flop. My QQ was destroyed by the flop of: 5-5-2 the turn of: 2 and the river of: 5. Now, had I been playing live I think I may have had a word with the dealer about his dubious shuffling skills - Moreover, there would have been the odd expletive used in the conversation.  I hold the view that online poker is very good value for money entertainment and Sky is as good a site as any other. For just a few pounds you can spend enjoyable hours competing against others and the “villain” known as the RNG. For the majority it will never be anything other than just entertainment - few will make any serious money and that is perfectly understandable. When playing online we are asked to believe that the hands dealt are completely random - well, you can believe that if you wish! I prefer to use my own judgement and it tells me that the RNG should be treated with caution. However, for those that still believe in Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny… carry on - everything is how it should be. Sky states that the RNG was audited in 2009 - perhaps a return visit from the auditors wouldn’t go amiss.
    Posted by somer

Care to elaborate?

• edited November 2013
    the more tables u play  the less it will happen if u just 1 play mtt u will remember when u get sucked out its variance the more tables u play the more times u will win 
  • edited November 2013
    2d5d is thee nuts though, somer.

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited November 2013
    FOLD THE AA, YOU ONLY HAVE 2 OUTS...AK HAS 6
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis : “Sigh Its not rigged……think about it” Rigged is a little strong - not that the original poster mentioned the word “rigged”. He questions the frequency of “unusual” hands - its fair comment.  I lost recently to a chip leader who had called an all-in with 52 pre-flop. My QQ was destroyed by the flop of: 5-5-2 the turn of: 2 and the river of: 5. Now, had I been playing live I think I may have had a word with the dealer about his dubious shuffling skills - Moreover, there would have been the odd expletive used in the conversation.  I hold the view that online poker is very good value for money entertainment and Sky is as good a site as any other. For just a few pounds you can spend enjoyable hours competing against others and the “villain” known as the RNG. For the majority it will never be anything other than just entertainment - few will make any serious money and that is perfectly understandable. When playing online we are asked to believe that the hands dealt are completely random - well, you can believe that if you wish! I prefer to use my own judgement and it tells me that the RNG should be treated with caution. However, for those that still believe in Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny… carry on - everything is how it should be. Sky states that the RNG was audited in 2009 - perhaps a return visit from the auditors wouldn’t go amiss.
    Posted by somer
    Excellent post,
  • edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    Not really.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I agree Harry...calling the RNG a villain is the kind of berating that has no place in poker - Kick It Out I say!
  • edited November 2013

if there's "unusual hands" or whatever you think is up with the software then how do you explain the many players who make consistent profits?

surely if the software is inconsistent then it must make it impossible to make these consistent profits??

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis : I agree Harry...calling the RNG a villain is the kind of berating that has no place in poker - Kick It Out I say!
    Posted by bromley04
    I think he elaborated very well.  Whilst we all know it is possible to hit a full house with 5-2, the hand described does seem miraculous, and is the type of hand that makes people feel uneasy. It is as though "the raiser has 5-2, so we can only deal 5's and 2's.

Firstly , it was a poor shove with 5-2.
    Secondly , it was a miraculous flop to make a full house,
    But Thirdly, was it not overkill to deal another deuce on the turn, and then a 5 on the river to make quads?

The raiser had 5-2 and was looking for 6 cards in a 40 card deck.  5 of them were dealt!

You must agree that the odds of this happening are very low indeed.

My own worst beat came when villain and I both had 30k chips in a tournament.

I raised to 10k with QQ.

Flop came 94Q. I shove 20k.

How can he call with 3-5??

Turn 2 - River Ace.

It was the circumstances of his call that were very doubtfull.
  • edited November 2013
    can I see this hand jim?? i'd also like to see somers too?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis : I think he elaborated very well.  Whilst we all know it is possible to hit a full house with 5-2, the hand described does seem miraculous, and is the type of hand that makes people feel uneasy. It is as though "the raiser has 5-2, so we can only deal 5's and 2's. Firstly , it was a poor shove with 5-2. Secondly , it was a miraculous flop to make a full house, But Thirdly, was it not overkill to deal another deuce on the turn, and then a 5 on the river to make quads? The raiser had 5-2 and was looking for 6 cards in a 40 card deck.  5 of them were dealt! You must agree that the odds of this happening are very low indeed. My own worst beat came when villain and I both had 30k chips in a tournament. I raised to 10k with QQ. Flop came 94Q. I shove 20k. How can he call with 3-5?? Turn 2 - River Ace. It was the circumstances of his call that were very doubtfull.
    Posted by JimRiddle7
    Anyone else wishing they could get back the 16 seconds they wasted on this?
  • edited November 2013
    can I see this hand jim?? i'd also like to see somers too?
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Hi, it would be very difficult for me to find it in my history Allstar, I wouldn't know where to start sifting through thousands of hands, and I did not save it.  I can guarantee it is true though, I was very upset at the time. :)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis : Anyone else wishing they could get back the 16 seconds they wasted on this?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Lol,  why cant you just admit that the odds of this happening are astronomical, and the circumstances in which it happens make people feel uneasy.  Your short berating comments are of little use. :)
  • edited November 2013
    5 2 outflopping QQ?! Stone the crows! Stone Sky! Stone their clearly dubious RNG! 

QQ should beat 5 2 everytime. Without fail. Without exception. 

Short and berating enough for you?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis : Hi, it would be very difficult for me to find it in my history Allstar, I wouldn't know where to start sifting through thousands of hands, and I did not save it.  I can guarantee it is true though, I was very upset at the time. :)
    Posted by JimRiddle7
    doesn't help your argument too much really but I know what you mean that it would be difficult to find.

I have another question for you though if the rng's of poker sites are dodgy why has there never been any concrete proof of discrepancy ever found? surely it wouldn't be too difficult with the right software.

2nd question - why would a poker site want to have a dodgy rng? what's in it for them? The collect the rake regardless and the game of poker itself creates enough action all by itself - reason its popular in the first place!
  • edited November 2013
    Sky recently dealt their 700 millionth hand. It would be remarkable and miraculous if something like this hadnt happened to someone.  It is your ego and self-centeredness that makes it seem like it was orchestrated to happen to you. Maybe thats whete the feeling of unease comes from...
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad hands winning on too regular a basis : Lol,  why cant you just admit that the odds of this happening are astronomical, and the circumstances in which it happens make people feel uneasy.  Your short berating comments are of little use. :)
    Posted by JimRiddle7
    The odds of flopping a full house on the flop with an unpaired hand is 1 in a 1000. he then has 3 outs for the turn or 6% roughly and then 4% to hit one of his remaining two outs. which works out if you multiply that out as 0.000002 or 1 in 500,000. Big odds yes but not impossible. when you consider Sky poker has not had over 700 millions hands then it should happen every so often.

Of course we haven't seen him post the hand yet so it's hard to know if it actually happened to him or not
  • edited November 2013
    Would such a fuss have been made if the flop fell A 3 4 for the wheel?

I suspect not.