You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The New Adventures of TINTIN

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I love tintin, best comic book series ever
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: The New Adventures of TINTIN:
    I caught some of the BDO darts today on the beeb. ive been a big fan of darts for years now, but its getting harder and harder to watch the BDO stuff after feasting on the PDC all the time. don't know what annoys me more, martin adams, bobby George, tony green, that vassos alexander (ithink that's his name) who commentates, the thud on the board when a dart enters or the ref that cant count. anyway I stick with it but don't catch nearly as much as I do of the other side. probably the bonus of it being on the red button more often than not. I forget that function is there most of the time, thankfully. theres only so many shots of the crowd sitting there knitting a man can take anyway better get some kip
    Posted by TINTIN
    Watched a game yesterday afternoon, the Japanese fella against Kist.

It was a close game, albeit a terrible standard, Kist won 3-2.

They interviewed the Japan player after the game, and during it they brought the single 180 that he hit throughout the whole 5 sets up on the monitor and asked him to 'talk us through it' like it was something amazing.

Also feel sorry for Bobby George having to be a pundit on games when his son is playing. He's really awful.

If I was someone average in the proper darts like Andy Hamilton or even James Wade (before he turned rubbish) I'd just play this version and become a 10 times World Champion.

The late stages are normally decent. Pub darts at the mo tho :(

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: The New Adventures of TINTIN : Watched a game yesterday afternoon, the Japanese fella against Kist. It was a close game, albeit a terrible standard, Kist won 3-2. They interviewed the Japan player after the game, and during it they brought the single 180 that he hit throughout the whole 5 sets up on the monitor and asked him to 'talk us through it' like it was something amazing. Also feel sorry for Bobby George having to be a pundit on games when his son is playing. He's really awful. If I was someone average in the proper darts like Andy Hamilton or even James Wade (before he turned rubbish) I'd just play this version and become a 10 times World Champion. The late stages are normally decent. Pub darts at the mo tho :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    as it happens I got the last few legs of that game. it was 2 sets all when I stumbled across it so cant comment on what went before. I stuck with it for the interview and it was the most bizzare I'd ever seen. I really don't know if rob walker the interviewer was being serious or he was on a p!ss take. they certainly made it feel as tho he was someone thery had just dragged off the streets who had never seen darts before never mind threw them. the incident has jumped straight into my top 5 lakeside cringeworthy moments along with this which sits easy at number 1

theres a belter from tony green on commentery, "hes travelled all the way from Canberra, New Zealand"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49xYlgoeCo
  • edited January 2014
    quick update before I go.

result a small loss, I will take it because I was massively down. I got tilted and spewed a bit after a few coolers. for 2 hours I only got paid from 2 hands and proceeded to lose the stack I had won within 2 hands each time on the table where I had won. I can only deal with the spew, I got into the rut of calling way too often. took a little to level myself off. some hands I was going for thin value but was always getting called by better. need to work on that

caught a bit of a rush towards the end to limit the damage. 3 hands that stick in my mind is I busted aces catching my straight draw on the turn after I played the draw aggressively on the flop, the other where I flopped a set and faded a flush draw and a straight draw from 2 opponents and the last where I flopped a house with 9s on a qq9 flop and got paid by q3off.

coolers they come and go and its easy to see now where todays losses came from. a lot to work on from todays performance
  • edited January 2014
    for 2 hours I only got paid from 2 hands
    Posted by TINTIN

Newsflash, other players at table don't pay off ubernit.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: The New Adventures of TINTIN : as it happens I got the last few legs of that game. it was 2 sets all when I stumbled across it so cant comment on what went before. I stuck with it for the interview and it was the most bizzare I'd ever seen. I really don't know if rob walker the interviewer was being serious or he was on a p!ss take. they certainly made it feel as tho he was someone thery had just dragged off the streets who had never seen darts before never mind threw them. the incident has jumped straight into my top 5 lakeside cringeworthy moments along with this which sits easy at number 1 theres a belter from tony green on commentery, "hes travelled all the way from Canberra, New Zealand" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49xYlgoeCo
    Posted by TINTIN
    Is that Aussie fella bladdered or something?

He can't stand still, or grip the dart. That can't be just nerves?
  • edited January 2014
    That video is quality. Wolfie who was regarded as one of the "world's best" at the time didn't exactly make a good show of himself either.

I was always a big lakeside fan until about 7-8 yrs ago and I got Sky TV. It was only then that I realised just how poor the standard was compared to the PDC. The Lakeside has ZERO atmosphere and the less said about Tony Green the better! Substandard players, announcers, commentators....the lot!! Yet bizarrely, I still end up watching!
  • edited January 2014
    Had it on again this afternoon (sorry to hijack thread)

More to add to the list...

Quotes...

"that's 2 140s in a row incredible darts"

"both players averaged over 90, the best match we've seen this week by far."

They take the players score down on the graphic after every dart, rather than every 3.

Then to top the lot...

"Can't wait for the match of the night tonight. Former World Champion Christian Kist against the bright young thing in darts, James Wilson."

Googled this James Wilson fella, intrigued by the comment.

41, bald, and never been past the last 32.

wow!
  • edited January 2014
    That video is quality. Wolfie who was regarded as one of the "world's best" at the time didn't exactly make a good show of himself either. I was always a big lakeside fan until about 7-8 yrs ago and I got Sky TV. It was only then that I realised just how poor the standard was compared to the PDC. The Lakeside has ZERO atmosphere and the less said about Tony Green the better! Substandard players, announcers, commentators....the lot!! Yet bizarrely, I still end up watching!
    Posted by waller02
    im exactly the same tho more often than not with the early rounds I only really watch if there is nothing else on. always try to catch the semi's and final tho. by that time the standard should be a little better
  • edited January 2014
    Had it on again this afternoon (sorry to hijack thread) More to add to the list... Quotes... "that's 2 140s in a row incredible darts" "both players averaged over 90, the best match we've seen this week by far." They take the players score down on the graphic after every dart, rather than every 3. Then to top the lot... "Can't wait for the match of the night tonight. Former World Champion Christian Kist against the bright young thing in darts, James Wilson." Googled this James Wilson fella, intrigued by the comment. 41, bald, and never been past the last 32. wow!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    hijack away dohhhhhhh I don't mind, it shouldn't be stuck to just poker this thread I feel.

on the aussie guy in the vid. he was bladdered, prob had about a dozen fosters too many prob again thru nerves. just created an awful situation for himself. it was so tough to watch especially when he threw a dart that either went off the board or was close to double 1 when he was aiming for treble 20.

I will miss most of it during the week, but their hype machinje is well off. it must be a hard job trying to build interest but you got to remember most of the audience have probably seen little or none of the PDC darts.

I used to aread a darts forum a few years ago and they had a thread with thousands of posts on Tony Green Gaffes. just where he made a total balls up on commenteray. my favaourite from a few years back was when he was describing the atmosphere within the lakeside . he was giving it, its electric, some party going on in here, the crowd are amazing etc and at this point the camera cuts to an audience shot. maybe the director meant what was shown next or not but what was shown was a lady who looked in her 70s sitting there half asleep and KNITTING, summed it all up really
  • edited January 2014
    quite a decent session today, got a win of about 4 buyins which is pleasing but im more happy with how I played certainly compared to the last few days.

managed to keep more level headed today and played more small ball poker.i was involved in very few large pots but anything pot where I had put in 30bb I scooped (they wasn't many of them tbh) I chipped away winning lots of smaller pots. I also found I wasn't reloading a lot which happened yesterday, maybe says something in itself. another stat that highlights the wasy I was playing today is the comparison of reward points today v yesterday. the sessions were the same length but today I got just under 100 v yesterdays 160.

I feel a little better about my game and certainly something I will look to take forward.
  • edited January 2014
    a shorter session than previous days, the result was another small loss. I kinda expected a few of these results with the sessions being shorter than im used. moreoften than not I get behind early on and have to spend time clawing it back. I don't get behind massively its really only 2-3 buyins at most. may have to look into this a little further to see where its going and if its too much of a concern with doing a lot wrong

I feel I played ok today. called oneor 2 bets on the river where I was beat and really should have folded. but in the whole I wasn't too disappointed with the outcome as a whole. I do need to work on this tho.

ive kinda been hovering around the same balance since the weekend and even tho theirs no progress on that front so far, I do feel I am improving on some other things that I feel wil help me move forward.
  • edited January 2014
    hi m8,
    glad things are improving for you.
    I used to go down a buy-in or 2 quite a lot in the 'good old days' mainly through big hands colliding, and then spending the next hour or so trying to get back level,so u r not alone with this problem.
    I've just tightened up my range for the 1st 1/2 hour recently and it seems to be working for me.( could be just luck though, I guess  lol)
    another BIG factor here imo, is the number of tables we are playing. if as I am we are playing a tightish range playing just 1 table, the number of hands we play in say 1/2 hour or so is quite small compared to playing 4 6 or 9 tables especially.
    so the chances are dramatically reduced of 2 big hands colliding and the real danger of us losing that buy-in or two, that you are talking about.
    (yes playing less tables will probably mean less winnings,(although I am out to disprove that theory :)
    but the reverse of that is we are more likely to lose less also, again imo.)

anyway m8, keep plodding away at it, and I'm sure your b/r will soon be MASSIVE again!!!
    be lucky,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    hi m8, glad things are improving for you. I used to go down a buy-in or 2 quite a lot in the 'good old days' mainly through big hands colliding, and then spending the next hour or so trying to get back level,so u r not alone with this problem. I've just tightened up my range for the 1st 1/2 hour recently and it seems to be working for me.( could be just luck though, I guess  lol) another BIG factor here imo, is the number of tables we are playing. if as I am we are playing a tightish range playing just 1 table, the number of hands we play in say 1/2 hour or so is quite small compared to playing 4 6 or 9 tables especially. so the chances are dramatically reduced of 2 big hands colliding and the real danger of us losing that buy-in or two, that you are talking about. (yes playing less tables will probably mean less winnings,(although I am out to disprove that theory :) but the reverse of that is we are more likely to lose less also, again imo.) anyway m8, keep plodding away at it, and I'm sure your b/r will soon be MASSIVE again!!! be lucky, dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    thanks mate.

I don't think its a major worry. I am playing 6 tables and don't think its a major worry but it is something to look further into. generally it topping up 20bb or so so a few of them can distort it a bit. I didn't pay too much attention to this before so its something I have in the back of my head to see if its a leak or just something that's gonna happen
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: The New Adventures of TINTIN : thanks mate. I don't think its a major worry. I am playing 6 tables and don't think its a major worry but it is something to look further into. generally it topping up 20bb or so so a few of them can distort it a bit. I didn't pay too much attention to this before so its something I have in the back of my head to see if its a leak or just something that's gonna happen
    Posted by TINTIN
    no worries TINTIN,

just thought I'd let u no I've encountered a similar problem.
    could be nothing just part 'n' parcel of everyday poker.
    I guess as long as we are winning long term it doesn't really matter that much, which I know you are.
    as u are only playing 6 tables, thought you might of been playing more, then that shouldn't be the reason for it.
    be lucky mate
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    well that's another session plodded thru. a small step forward again to conquer yesterdays small step back.

not too much of note happened, won a 300bb pot allin pre with AA v QQ v T8o which was nice. also fell for the oldest trick in the book the limp re raise allin  from utg. im holding JJand bump it up to 50p on button or sb. utg shoves alin for around £4.50 and you've guessed it had aces. defo can find a fold here facing a bigger stack.

tonight is the last shift of the week and its been a long one at that. cant wait til 7am and a few days off. first week back after 2 weeks off always drags even tho ive been busy at work. hopefully get a full evenings playing time in tomoorow and fingers crossed it goes well
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: The New Adventures of TINTIN : no worries TINTIN, just thought I'd let u no I've encountered a similar problem. could be nothing just part 'n' parcel of everyday poker. I guess as long as we are winning long term it doesn't really matter that much, which I know you are. as u are only playing 6 tables, thought you might of been playing more, then that shouldn't be the reason for it. be lucky mate dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    im justy trying to identify little things that's maybe affecting results. I don't mind the topping up bit, that's always gonna happen if you run into a major cooler etc. I just wanting to note if im playing a few silly little pots at the start that I really don't need to. if I am then I can look to cut them out. which in theory would boost any winnings or cut any losses.

as I said its just seeing if there is anything that needs done differently on my behalf to improve my game
  • edited January 2014
    didn't get to update yesterday. I had a disconnection late on and couldn't be bothered rebooting so I just switched off.

reckon it happened for the best had a stinker of a day. played varios sessions and got zero going, just lots of little losing sessions which made a 5buyin losing day.

didn't get on to this evening after sleeping all day. wish I slept longer. reckon ive played no more than 2 hours tonight and down 7 buyins. a couple of them just thru tilt the rest is constant outdraws. flopped a few sets and lost them all to runner runners. wont bore you with anymore.

as a result im almost back to initial deposit. im still a few buyins in front tho so will play those out and see how it goes, prob need some run good to maintain playing nl10 because im getting none atm.

gonna have a little break, was planning a late 1 what with sleeping all day. may be on again or I may just watch the nfl on the box.
  • edited January 2014
    "wont bore you with anymore."

Thanks
  • edited January 2014
    Loads of people say that same thing and I used to always have tha problem of seeming to start most sessions down a couple of BIs and grinding it back. There was a bit of a discussion about it a while ago and sometimes it's just completely unavoidable but sometimes I think it's when you first sit down you're not fully 'warmed up' and in the zone. I know I used to sometimes make the odd river call early doors that an hour into the session when I'm really on top of my game I'd find a fold.

I have cut it out mostly now, I just try to be a lot more focussed at the start of my sessions and think decisions through a bit more.
  • edited January 2014
    good read and glad to see others falling back into love with the game. 
  • edited January 2014

Hi mate,

while u r finding your feet so to speak at nl10 would it not be an idea to play say just a couple of tables mixed in with some nl4?
    just a thought.
    then as your b/r grows(could make it 3 or 4 buy-ins or so, something along those lines), then add another table.
    maybe you've already made your mind up though and left nl4 to fully commit to nl10, which if that's the case, that's fine.
    anyway mate, I'm sure you have your own plan and ideas on how you'd like things to go, but just thought I'd give you my thoughts.
    be lucky
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    i'll try to reply to you all when I return from work in the morning.

as I said I earlier im gonna persevere for now. I want to give it a shot. ive got a limit where I will stop but im still up at the minute so no need to panic too much.

I did return in the early hours of sunday for an hour. just couldn't sleep. then had a session before work last night and tonight. got 2 winning sessions and a break even. they weren't big winning sessions they only total about 3 buyins but at the very least it stopped the rot from Friday and Saturday.

playd a lot more small ball poker again in the main. only once tonight I had my stack in pre, *bad beat alert* opened utg for 3x got a call then a shove for 125bb from big blind, happy days til the flop. BB had QQ and flopped quads. run better please.

anyway I mentioned the darts earlier in the thread even tho it was the BDO version and happy that Stephen Bunting won it. hes the only player I think could switch codes and do some damage atm. roll on the prem league for some proper darts eh
  • edited January 2014

no worries mate, I know that you know what you're doing  lol

run good
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    Loads of people say that same thing and I used to always have tha problem of seeming to start most sessions down a couple of BIs and grinding it back. There was a bit of a discussion about it a while ago and sometimes it's just completely unavoidable but sometimes I think it's when you first sit down you're not fully 'warmed up' and in the zone. I know I used to sometimes make the odd river call early doors that an hour into the session when I'm really on top of my game I'd find a fold. I have cut it out mostly now, I just try to be a lot more focussed at the start of my sessions and think decisions through a bit more.
    Posted by Lambert180
    your pretty spot on here with what I was looking at. its the silly hands im trying to identify so I can hope to cut them out. of course there will be hands you can do nothing about and its always gonna happen. it s about focusing on my play and stopping these silly calls or bets. it is about trying to be fully focused from hand 1
  • edited January 2014
    good read and glad to see others falling back into love with the game. 
    Posted by pod1
    thanks pod
  • edited January 2014
    Hi mate, while u r finding your feet so to speak at nl10 would it not be an idea to play say just a couple of tables mixed in with some nl4? just a thought. then as your b/r grows(could make it 3 or 4 buy-ins or so, something along those lines), then add another table. maybe you've already made your mind up though and left nl4 to fully commit to nl10, which if that's the case, that's fine. anyway mate, I'm sure you have your own plan and ideas on how you'd like things to go, but just thought I'd give you my thoughts. be lucky dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    I wouldn't say ive left behind nl4 completely, not just yet. I had decided a few months back to give nl10 a decent shot, I had a set amount I was willing to play with and possibly lose. theres always been a few nagging doubts in my mind so I want to give it the best shot I can trying to move forward. if it all goes t!ts up then I will re evaluate.

I have dropped the number of tabl;es and im sticking fairly rigidly to 6 atm. you know yourself I can play more but I feel this will give me the most focus at the minute. any less and I find myself doing other things on the comp or watxching the tele too much.

my deposit was on the 30th of December and I hit the ground running and spun up a decent chunk. I had been contemplating doing a diary for a while now and im sure I mentioned it to a few people in the chat box. so far since starting the diary im down but not by a huge amount but I am still playing with winnings from thatinitial deposit. the plan is still to see where i can take it, wether that's forward or not
  • edited January 2014
    logged on a little later than i have been today so ment the session was a little shorter.

not too eventful again, double up quickly on my first table but then not much else of note for a while on any of the tables..

i do recall costing my self 2 stacks, both which i butchered and could have got away from without too much damage. anywaqy i booked another small win. could have been more but for those 2 hands. i will look back over them but fairly certain it was all my own fault.

im slowly gaining a little momentum after the weekend, still a bit to go to call it a recovery but its a start at least. onwards and upwards hopefully.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi tintin,

I was watching you earlier this evening and you had a nice stack on most tables.
    was playing freerolls too, so not fully focused on you.
    couldn't see anything wrong at all with your game mate. yes you did make a couple of losing calls but you more than made up for it with better ones, I think.
    keep at it mate, I'm sure it's just a matter of time and you'll have it cracked,  just like you did at nl4.
    run good,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    i'll try to reply to you all when I return from work in the morning. as I said I earlier im gonna persevere for now. I want to give it a shot. ive got a limit where I will stop but im still up at the minute so no need to panic too much. I did return in the early hours of sunday for an hour. just couldn't sleep. then had a session before work last night and tonight. got 2 winning sessions and a break even. they weren't big winning sessions they only total about 3 buyins but at the very least it stopped the rot from Friday and Saturday. playd a lot more small ball poker again in the main. only once tonight I had my stack in pre, *bad beat alert* opened utg for 3x got a call then a shove for 125bb from big blind, happy days til the flop. BB had QQ and flopped quads. run better please. anyway I mentioned the darts earlier in the thread even tho it was the BDO version and happy that Stephen Bunting won it. hes the only player I think could switch codes and do some damage atm. roll on the prem league for some proper darts eh
    Posted by TINTIN
    +1 on the bolded bit. He's a decent player, prob on a par with Andy Hamilton. would struggle to break into top 10 though imo

Tip for the Premier League?? Hard to pick anyone other than MVG atm, Lewis rarely performs in it and I think 2014 could be the year where Taylor finally starts dropping away (watch him smash most of the TV majors now I have said that!! haha).