You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hosts

13»

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Shedding Light:
    In Response to Shedding Light : pity.  i thought you had self excluded from the forum.  can't be bothered reading it.  whatever it is.  night, night.
    Posted by aussie09
    I love you too buddy.
    PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACE!!
    bite him Ryan!
    Posted by memfno
    Yay?? I think? :P

Not really into that sorta thing though. Sorry in advance Ryan.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Hosts:
    In Response to Re: Hosts : Whinnar haha
    Posted by patwalshh
    Agreed. Gutted his post didn't get more love. Definitely gave me a chuckle. :)
  • edited January 2014
    Hmmm

Ryan isn't backed for tournaments. He sats into EPTs and pretty sure he's happy to buyin to UKIPTs now on his own coin.

Not that he would but he could post some 6figure profits from MTTs last year alone in which he had 100% of himself in. 

That's not to say he's not stupidly lucky... :)

The rest of Smitalos's post is just attention seeking imo.
  • edited January 2014
    lol before the thread takes off again.

Smitalos likes a reaction by posting controversial statements / threads.

In particular he seems to have a go at his "opponents" he plays cash with, seemingly to rile them.

Is it effective? I would hope not, i'm pretty sure no one he plays against regularly would get wound up by him, which is undoubtedly the intention. 

Basically, what i'm saying is his posts by their style and content should not be taking seriously. Fwiw, I find his posts quite entertaining, undoubtedly they are made with the intention of gaining a response, but really they are not worth responding too as in to degenerate into an argument, which most of smitalos's posts are geared towards.

• edited January 2014
    Hmmm Ryan isn't backed for tournaments.
    From the information I have, he pays out a certain % to 'backers'. Whether he's ponied up the majority and took the rest from backers, or sold a percentage off after satteliting in, it shows little/no indication that he's a good player (given the points I made).
    I'm not saying the info I have is infalliable though. Just what I've heard.

Not that he would but he could post some 6figure profits from MTTs last year alone in which he had 100% of himself in.
    I'm sure he could post some of his 5ifgure losing months too.
    A Sharkscope-esque BR-graph would be interesting to see though :)
    The rest of Smitalos's post is just attention seeking imo.
    Nice to see you dismiss my entire post with conjecture. I prefer evidence and reason.
    I care about what's true, not what feels good to Ryan or his fans (of which there are many! Kudos to him for that).
    Not to mention, do you also think I was merely 'attention seeking' when I stood up for the way people have treated OP?
  • edited January 2014
    lol before the thread takes off again. Smitalos likes a reaction by posting controversial statements / threads.
    I enjoy quashing ignorance more than creating controversy. But if that's what gets people to think (without crossing the line in any way) I'm all for it. Provoking some critical thinking, really. In THAT way, yeah, I like posting polarizing stuff.
    For some sort of sadistic, egomanical kick out of it? No.
    In particular he seems to have a go at his "opponents" he plays cash with, seemingly to rile them. Is it effective?
    Scotty plays very little cash poker on Sky these days, so I have no reason to get under his skin to gain some sort of edge at the tables.
    Do I think I've said anything that crossed the line? Not even close. Not once did I pass judgement on his character, just his ability.
    Do I think he may be offended by my post? Probably, though as said, that wasn't my prerogative.
    (cont.) ...I would hope not, i'm pretty sure no one he plays against regularly would get wound up by him, which is undoubtedly the intention.
    The certainty of your claim is worrying, as all you have to back it up thus far is conjecture.
    The only people I genuinely try to wind up at the tables are those that I believe deserve it. The angle-shooters, the cheats, those that treat their opponents (or in this case, recs) like dirt.
    Do I believe Scotty is one of those people? No. AFAIK he's a pretty straight shooting player, and tries to make the experience for recs as enjoyable as possible. He's good for the table/game.
    Again, my intention wasn't to annoy him (and I don't think it even should do. It was all constructive criticism or just an opinion on his ability, providing an opposition to this entire thread.)
    Basically, what i'm saying is his posts by their style and content should not be taking seriously. Fwiw, I find his posts quite entertaining, undoubtedly they are made with the intention of gaining a response, but really they are not worth responding too as in to degenerate into an argument, which most of smitalos's posts are geared towards.   
    Posted by LARSON7
    So providing a more 'balanced' view on someone's ability, as well as standing up for a forum member who was demonstrably treated like $h-t, is deemed as "Smitalos trying to get a reaction", but openly patronising someone (as you have done multiple times in your post) is totally legit, right?
    Unless you can show me evidence to the contrary, all my posts when debating a topic are extremely reasonable. I don't assert, merely speculate. Provide evidence and reason whenever I can, and never let my own posts degenerate into name-calling, or personal attacks. EVER.
    Of course I'm looking for responses, this is a forum after all. I'm trying to promote discussion.
    But the condescending end to your post, as if I'm here to argue and cause offense? Is unfair and unsubstantiated. I would have a better case accusing you of trying to get me riled up, than visa versa.
    I rebut each point made in a calculated manner. To debate, not to argue.
  • edited January 2014
     - Those who enjoy their own emotionally bad health and who habitually fill their own minds with the rank poisons of suspicion, jealousy and hatred, as a rule take umbrage at those who refuse to do likewise, and they find a perverted relief in trying to denigrate them.

Johannes Brahms
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Hosts : I enjoy quashing ignorance more than creating contraversy. But if that's what gets people to think (without crossing the line in any way) I'm all for it. Provoking some critical thinking, really. In THAT way, yeah, I like posting polarizing stuff. For some sort of sadistic, egomanical kick out of it? No. Scotty plays very little cash poker on Sky these days, so I have no reason to get under his skin to gain some sort of edge at the tables. Do I think I've said anything that crossed the line? Not even close. Not once did I pass judgement on his character, just his ability. Do I think he may be offended by my post? Probably, though as said, that wasn't my prerogative. The certainty of your claim is worrying, as all you have to back it up thus far is conjecture. The only people I genuinely try to wind up at the tables are those that I believe deserve it. The angle-shooters, the cheats, those that treat their opponents (or in this case, recs) like dirt. Do I believe Scotty is one of those people? No. AFAIK he's a pretty straight shooting player, and tries to make the experience for recs as enjoyable as possible. He's good for the table/game. Again, my intention wasn't to annoy him (and I don't think it even should do. It was all constructive criticism or just an opinion on his ability, providing an opposition to this entire thread.) So providing a more 'balanced' view on someone's ability, as well as standing up for a forum member who was demonstably treated like $h-t, is deemed as "Smitalos trying to get a reaction", but openly patronising someone (as you have done multiple times in your post) is totally legit, right? Unless you can show me evidence to the contrary, all my posts when debating a topic are extremely reasonable. I don't assert, merely speculate. Provide evidence and reason whenever I can, and never let my own posts degenerate into name-calling, or personal attacks. EVER. Of course I'm looking for responses, this is a forum after all. I'm trying to promote discussion. But the condescending end to your post, as if I'm here to argue and cause offense? Is unfair and unsubstantiated. I would have a better case accusing you of trying to get me riled up, than visa versa. I rebut each point made in a calculated manner. To debate , not to argue.
    Posted by Smitalos
    Might I suggest? if you enjoy quashing ignorance, you might want to check out the spellchecker at the foot of "reply to post/Your Post!"
  • edited January 2014
    if i was ryan i would just copy and paste my sharkscope figures for all sites and just say suck on that biatches.
    and then ask you all if you wanna borrow a grand :-) 

dont no why im even defending him like cos i dont know the guy from adam but i hate jealousy!!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Hosts : Might I suggest? if you enjoy quashing ignorance, you might want to check out the spellchecker at the foot of "reply to post/Your Post!"
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    That's not ignorance. That would imply I brainfarted on which is the correct spelling, or that I made a typo.

DemonstRably was a typo, showcasing how my stupid monkey brain is fallible at 2am :P

I will go and correct them both now! ty sir.

EDIT: The controversy one was actually me making a legit mistake! Thought it was A not O. Spelling ignorance indeed. Correct :)
  • edited January 2014
    if i was ryan i would just copy and paste my sharkscope figures for all sites and just say suck on that biatches. and then ask you all if you wanna borrow a grand :-)  dont no why im even defending him like cos i dont know the guy from adam but i hate jealousy!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    This wasn't out of jealousy btw. Just posted here to defend OP from some vulgar posts, and also offer my 2cents on why I don't particularly rate him.
    Would I like the success that he's had? Sure, he's been more successful than me, no? But moreover because I think I'd better take advantage of his situation to propell me to bigger and better things. (not to say that he isn't already doing this!)
    Just offering a balanced view to his poker ability. People can fanboy it up and defend him all damn day, but I'd prefer to side with the reason and evidence. Not because the guy might be 'likeable'.
  • edited January 2014
     - Those who enjoy their own emotionally bad health and who habitually fill their own minds with the rank poisons of suspicion, jealousy and hatred, as a rule take umbrage at those who refuse to do likewise, and they find a perverted relief in trying to denigrate them. Johannes Brahms
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Suspicion is an integral part of a skeptical mind. I'm proud of that.
    I also have no qualms about being jealous of someone more successful than me.
    I do not hate Scotty. Merely the (imo, justified itt) undeserved respect and accolade he recieves.

Think before you post, brah. I aint no gawsh dayum fool. Guh-HUH *hic*
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Hosts : This wasn't out of jealousy btw. Just posted here to defend OP from some vulgar posts, and also offer my 2cents on why I don't particularly rate him. Would I like the success that he's had? Sure, he's been more successful than me, no? But moreover because I think I'd better take advantage of his situation to propell me to bigger and better things. (not to say that he isn't already doing this!) Just offering a balanced view to his poker ability. People can fanboy it up and defend him all damn day, but I'd prefer some reason and evidence. :)
    Posted by Smitalos
    is there anybody you do rate other than yourself? he had a 6 figure year in MTT'S on line, he played in EPT'S, he went to vegas to play the world series, what did you do in poker last year apart from get out of bed and sit and grind nl100 in you're kegs all day?
  • edited January 2014
    Hard work and lack of ego can get you a long way in life.
    Ryan and Teeeeks both have these qualities in large quantities.
    Can't imagine why anyone would feel the need to pull them down.
  • edited January 2014
    Hard work and lack of ego can get you a long way in life. Ryan and Teeeeks both have these qualities in large quantities. Can't imagine why anyone would feel the need to pull them down.
    Posted by jakally

+1
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Hosts : From the information I have, he pays out a certain % to 'backers'. Whether he's ponied up the majority and took the rest from backers, or sold a percentage off after satteliting in, it shows little/no indication that he's a good player (given the points I made). I'm not saying the info I have is infalliable though. Just what I've heard.   I'm sure he could post some of his 5ifgure losing months too. A Sharkscope-esque BR-graph would be interesting to see though :) Nice to see you dismiss my entire post with conjecture. I prefer evidence and reason. I care about what's true, not what feels good to Ryan or his fans (of which there are many! Kudos to him for that). Not to mention, do you also think I was merely 'attention seeking' when I stood up for the way people have treated OP?
    Posted by Smitalos
    I don't know Ryan's personal circumstances in detail and I don't see how you do either. My evidence is the views of other top MTT players that have played with Ryan and rate his game highly and the numerous scores he has had which has led to him being high up on one sites profit leaderboards for 2013. I haven't yet checked his profit/loss for all sites and compared with bank statements to confirm what % of himself he had in all tournaments but as soon as I do I will publish here.

All of this is pretty irrelevant though as this doesn't mean he is a good or bad analyst. People need to think about the target market for the show, Ryan isn't there to teach high stakes MTT players complex strategy. Also, whether someone is profitable or not doesn't actually mean they are a good analyst and can explain things well.  

• edited January 2014
    Stop feeding it the attention it craves people, that is all, good-day.
  • edited January 2014
    ave u read ryans blog smitalos he hasnt had it easy with back problems and depression i suffer with depression and its horrible i play poker to escape the reality of life

u should read hes blog u might change ya views about him

ya gotta give him credit for coming along way from 10 nl not many players do that this day
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Hosts : is there anybody you do rate other than yourself? he had a 6 figure year in MTT'S on line, he played in EPT'S, he went to vegas to play the world series, what did you do in poker last year apart from get out of bed and sit and grind nl100 in you're kegs all day?
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Robusto1 is VERY good. One of my fav. rivals to play Vs on here.
    RosieDog, all things considered, is surprisingly decent.
    JH is probably the best up-and-comer on the site. Plays PLO and NLHE extremely well. Probably my biggest threat. One hell of a player.
    There's a lot of animosity between me and Redmond but heck, that guy's one smart mofo.
    Pokie, itsproblem, etc are obv pretty beastly too.
    Oh, and I've got a soft spot for DTM. Any 30+yo that grinds the amount he does is just beautiful to see.

Again (as said itt many times) you're appealing to a few binks he's had as if that's proof he's half-decent?
    Or that, if you do X Y Z, you're great?
    X - Go to Vegas every year to grind
    Y - Play the EPT/UKIPT circuit
    Z - Binked a few tourneys (on the softest site out there fwiw)

Not the case. At all.
    I'm sure there are some 50NL pro grinders on Stars that are better than me, despite the fact that I play 100nl thru 2kNL here.
    Sure, I spent the majority of last year doing EXACTLY that. Twas an enjoyable year. But I could back up my ability with evidence of my year on the grind. Graphs, stats, history. Attacking me and saying I suck isn't a way of defending your position. It just shows you're out of moves.
  • edited January 2014
    Hard work and lack of ego can get you a long way in life. Ryan and Teeeeks both have these qualities in large quantities. Can't imagine why anyone would feel the need to pull them down.
    Posted by jakally
    What a redundant post.
    "Hard work and lack of ego can get you a long way in life."
    So surely then...
    Hard work and a modicum of ego can get you a long way in life too.

The bolded section is a logical fallacy. Either an argument from incredulity, or an appeal to emotion. Both of which won't fly while I'm in town, broham.
    This isn't about making people feel good, it's about what's true. There were close to 55 posts itt either praising Ryan, or slamming OP. I'm here to give a balanced and reasoned perspective.
    Am I saying Ryan is a bad player? No, of course not. I'm just saying I'm of the opinion that he's MASSIVELY overrated, and people give him undue credit. Mostly (it seems) because they like the guy, and/or see him out there in the public eye.
  • edited January 2014
    Stop feeding it the attention it craves people, that is all, good-day.
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    Providing reasoned debate, devoting time and effort into replying to (and countering) every response is seemingly worthy of a passive-agressive objectionable post like that, eh?

You can go back to short stacking the cash tables now Ben. Clearly not needed here buddy.
    ave u read ryans blog smitalos he hasnt had it easy with back problems and depression i suffer with depression and its horrible i play poker to escape the reality of life u should read hes blog u might change ya views about him ya gotta give him credit for coming along way from 10 nl not many players do that this day
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    For the Nth time, I'm not saying I don't like the guy.

"To be clear, I have close to no opinion of Ryan as a person. Never met the guy, and never had any meaningful interaction. I'm just assessing the information in front of me, nothing more. And if people want to rip my play apart they can by my guest! As said, I'd even encourage it. Proactive discussion is almost never a bad thing, so feel free to do so."

The way he's got to where he is now, combined with the myriad of hands I've played Vs the guy, I just don't think he's got any remarkable poker talent (at this moment in time).
    Yes, it's still impressive that he's accomplished what he has, no question at all. And he might be a lovely guy!
    The evidence I have leads me to the conclusion that he's still a 20-50NL player that tried to ascend too quick by binking his TV deal. Not to mention the fact that he seems to be spending more time off the felt nowadays, than on it.