You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Happy Days Promotion

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Not exactly fair on the sng players who have been grinding all month trying to get into the ps4 leaderboard is it?

I'm not even close to getting on to the leaderboard but i know a few fellas on the sng tables who have been grinding like mad and i dont think this is fair at all.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Very good point.

I'm a cash player myself like but this is massively unfair on the DYM grinders that have been playing all month to get in the top 50/top 10 imo
  • edited January 2014
    And there was me thinking cash players get  6pts to mtt/sng players 10pts for every quid raked
  • edited January 2014
    Poorly thought out to run this alongside a points race leaderboard
  • edited January 2014
    Yes, it's a very good promotion for cash players, but perhaps poorly timed as it moves the goalposts in the PS4 leaderboard. (Saying this as someone completely unaffected, both because I don't play cash and am not in the chase for the PS4 list)
  • edited January 2014
    oh yeh this is fantastic .... NOT !!!

grinded my a$$ off best i can to stay in with a chance of just getting a freeroll seat in the ongoing PS4 promo as there is no way a top10 is in my range and now some bright spark has come up with an idea for all the cash game players to fly past all the SNG grinders on the leaderboard by running another promo to conflict with the ongoing one . i dont think this p34 promo is fair atall , cash game players get 3 happy hours a day as it is which already gives them a huge advantage over sng players , this happy days weekend should be scrapped unless you are are willing to lose all your sng grinders for the future . i will continue to grind best i can to retain my seat but i can guarantee if i lose out come the end of the month i will be off this site and wont be coming back untill i see some fairness between cash and sng players which there is none of at the moment !!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion:
    Poorly thought out to run this alongside a points race leaderboard
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    +1

Absolutely ridiculous. 

Anyone who has to work this weekend is at a massive disadvantage after grinding all month, without any warning. Joke 
  • edited January 2014
    I dont see anything wrong with the promotion as such, but this should have been pointed out before the start of the PS4 promo.. I can't believe they thought this would be a good idea to interfere with an ongoing promotion. I myself am mainly a MTT player so never gave this much of a go but if you are going to move the goalpoasts mid way through a promotion then you should at least reward all 3 formats in the same way. If I had been grinding DYM's all month, which isn't an enjoyable thing to do, then i would be gutted to see this promotion appear so close to the end of the month.
  • edited January 2014
    Sky wins/end thread
  • edited January 2014
    Sky wins/end thread
    Posted by rancid

yes they do but at what cost ? every SNG and DYM grinder is likely to jump ship after this , i will be if i do not start seeing some equality in the way different grinders are treated . 

cash game players seem to get all the benefits as is being shown right here + 3 hours a day when they can accumilate a ton of points .

MTT players get free seats to all sorts via twitter and forum

SNG/DYM what do we get .... SHAFTED !!
  • edited January 2014
    Is this a wind up or are the Im not good enough to play cash players, sorry I mean tournament players really that stupid.

Cash players get 6 points per pound and occasionally 9 points where as tournament players get 10 points all the time.

I really cant decide if its stupidity or a wind up. What does everyone else think?
  • edited January 2014
    Very good point. I'm a cash player myself like but this is massively unfair on the DYM grinders that have been playing all month to get in the top 50/top 10 imo
    Posted by Lambert180
     +1
  • edited January 2014
    Is this a wind up or are the Im not good enough to play cash players, sorry I mean tournament players really that stupid. Cash players get 6 points per pound and occasionally 9 points where as tournament players get 10 points all the time. I really cant decide if its stupidity or a wind up. What does everyone else think?
    Posted by ajs4385

i hope this is a level??

if not..

looks like you are just looking for a reason to put down the majority of sky players as opposed to dealing with the point of the original post.

poor form imo
  • edited January 2014
    Is this a wind up or are the Im not good enough to play cash players, sorry I mean tournament players really that stupid. Cash players get 6 points per pound and occasionally 9 points where as tournament players get 10 points all the time. I really cant decide if its stupidity or a wind up. What does everyone else think?
    Posted by ajs4385
    Its irrelevant what way points are normally allocated for both cash and sng's etc, although I've argued in previous points it's not as simple as you show it as, it's irrelevant because when people decided they would go for this promotion they did so believing the current points system would be used throughout. Some of these guys have played over 1000 games to go for this promotion that was started 21 days before this new promotion was added. Would these same players put the same volume in knowing this would added in the last week of the promo period? I don't think they would.
  • edited January 2014
    oh yeh this is fantastic .... NOT !!! grinded my a$$ off best i can to stay in with a chance of just getting a freeroll seat in the ongoing PS4 promo as there is no way a top10 is in my range and now some bright spark has come up with an idea for all the cash game players to fly past all the SNG grinders on the leaderboard by running another promo to conflict with the ongoing one . i dont think this p34 promo is fair atall , cash game players get 3 happy hours a day as it is which already gives them a huge advantage over sng players , this happy days weekend should be scrapped unless you are are willing to lose all your sng grinders for the future . i will continue to grind best i can to retain my seat but i can guarantee if i lose out come the end of the month i will be off this site and wont be coming back untill i see some fairness between cash and sng players which there is none of at the moment !!
    Posted by TheRevenge
    This is so short-sighted from Sky that it defies belief. Yes, they will make plenty of rake this weekend but at what cost? The idea of the promotion for the PS4 is, I assume to get the regular grinders to play more but even more so, to attract grinders from elsewhere.
    Maybe they will like what they see and stay. 
    TheRevenge may have been a perfect example of this. He started the promotion and got involved with the community. Someone who could have been a great addition to Sky. Now, understandably, he feels let down. After the promotion has finished, it's highly unlikely that we will see him again.
    I myself had a go at the promotion initially. I soon realised that I couldn't keep up with the cash grinders. I settled for a place in the top 50. There's a decent chance that I may slip out of it now. I won't be leaving Sky. Generally I'm pretty happy to play my poker here. I am disappointed though.
    We may well hear something like "you've all jumped the gun and we have a great Dym bonus coming soon" The trouble is it will have no credibilty. Any Dym promo should have run concurrently with the cash one.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : This is so short-sighted from Sky that it defies belief. Yes, they will make plenty of rake this weekend but at what cost? The idea of the promotion for the PS4 is, I assume to get the regular grinders to play more but even more so, to attract grinders from elsewhere. Maybe they will like what they see and stay.  TheRevenge may have been a perfect example of this. He started the promotion and got involved with the community. Someone who could have been a great addition to Sky. Now, understandably, he feels let down. After the promotion has finished, it's highly unlikely that we will see him again. I myself had a go at the promotion initially. I soon realised that I couldn't keep up with the cash grinders. I settled for a place in the top 50. There's a decent chance that I may slip out of it now. I won't be leaving Sky. Generally I'm pretty happy to play my poker here. I am disappointed though. We may well hear something like "you've all jumped the gun and we have a great Dym bonus coming soon" The trouble is it will have no credibilty. Any Dym promo should have run concurrently with the cash one.
    Posted by Jac35

completely agree
  • edited January 2014

Just extend the promotion to sng and mtt tournaments also. Fixed.
  • edited January 2014
    Posted by ajs4385
    Yes and sng/mtt players get less rewards for the same amount of points? Patronising non cash players is poor form imo. 

This is a horrific ill thought out promotion. The PS4 rake race has from a commercial perspective been a resounding success for sky. 

I dont think there is one sng reg in the top 10, hoewever there are loads in the race for a freeroll place who are instantly put at a disadvantage by running extra points promos for cash players. All sky had to do was get this running on the first weekend of February and whilst you may have had a few disgruntled players, thats just the way it goes. 

Sky are long overdue a promo that incorporates sng players only. It would actually help if £1 was worth 10 points regardless of the type of game chosen. Bring back transparency is all I can say. 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : Yes and sng/mtt players get less rewards for the same amount of points? Patronising non cash players is poor form imo.  This is a horrific ill thought out promotion. The PS4 rake race has from a commercial perspective been a resounding success for sky.  I dont think there is one sng reg in the top 10, hoewever there are loads in the race for a freeroll place who are instantly put at a disadvantage by running extra points promos for cash players. All sky had to do was get this running on the first weekend of February and whilst you may have had a few disgruntled players, thats just the way it goes.  Sky are long overdue a promo that incorporates sng players only. It would actually help if £1 was worth 10 points regardless of the type of game chosen. Bring back transparency is all I can say. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Not true, only when you go above 10,000 is rake then calculated at 20%. Obviously at this point cash players would receive more rakeback cause they have contributed more rake to Sky.
    Below 10,000 points, SNG/MTT have a clear advanatge where for every £1 in rake paid they get 10 points and cash players only get 6.

Hence everyone mentions happy hours where cash players get an increase during these times where they receive 9 points, still 1 point less than SNG/MTT players paying the same amount of rake - £1.

Ok so the happy days weekend means that all cash players would infact receive 9 points all weekend, so that kinda evens out the playing field during the final days of the promo.

I very much doubt the happy hours would apply during happr days, but would be nice of sky to confirm this.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : Not true, only when you go above 10,000 is rake then calculated at 20%. Obviously at this point cash players would receive more rakeback cause they have contributed more rake to Sky. Below 10,000 points, SNG/MTT have a clear advanatge where for every £1 in rake paid they get 10 points and cash players only get 6. Hence everyone mentions happy hours where cash players get an increase during these times where they receive 9 points, still 1 point less than SNG/MTT players paying the same amount of rake - £1. Ok so the happy days weekend means that all cash players would infact receive 9 points all weekend, so that kinda evens out the playing field during the final days of the promo. I very much doubt the happy hours would apply during happr days, but would be nice of sky to confirm this.
    Posted by rancid

Yes valid point below 10k, im always thinking priority these days !

But seriously, have a level playing field. £1 rake = 10 points for all games makes it soo much easier. 

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : Yes valid point below 10k, im always thinking priority these days ! But seriously, have a level playing field. £1 rake = 10 points for all games makes it soo much easier. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    I don't really understand why if your paying £1 in rake you are getting more points for MTT/SNG games than you do for cash.
    Think the happy hours do nothing but insult cash players inteligience, where wow cash players get 9 points.

Think sky should overhual the whole thing and just level it out before 10,000 points and give everyone the same amount of points per £1 rake.

Maybe it's just Sky incentive to get more SNG/MTT players on the site, surely rake is rake! £1 will always be just £1.
    So why are cash players at such a disadvantage.

for example I play 6-8 tables of nl20 and say I get 250 points for 3-4 hours play.

I could play for two hours £22 DYM's playing the same amount of tables and get 250 points.

You see!

• edited January 2014
    well im doubting this is going to change is it so its going to be awesome watching myself freefall down the PS4 promo board along with every other SNG/DYM player that has worked hard to try and secure a freeroll seat at best .

its either that or play cash games where we are likely to blow our whole bankrolls because we will be forced to try and hold our positions on the leaderboard playing games we are not comfortable in , either way we are going to suffer . 

fantastic sky , cheers !!
  • edited January 2014
    well im doubting this is going to change is it so its going to be awesome watching myself freefall down the PS4 promo board along with every other SNG/DYM player that has worked hard to try and secure a freeroll seat at best . its either that or play cash games where we are likely to blow our whole bankrolls because we will be forced to try and hold our positions on the leaderboard playing games we are not comfortable in , either way we are going to suffer .  fantastic sky , cheers !!
    Posted by TheRevenge

How are you so worse off when you get 10 points per £1 rake and cash players during happy days will get 9 points.

Still makes you 1 point better off my friend

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : I don't really understand why if your paying £1 in rake you are getting more points for MTT/SNG games than you do for cash. Think the happy hours do nothing but insult cash players inteligience, where wow cash players get 9 points. Think sky should overhual the whole thing and just level it out before 10,000 points and give everyone the same amount of points per £1 rake. Maybe it's just Sky incentive to get more SNG/MTT players on the site, surely rake is rake! £1 will always be just £1. So why are cash players at such a disadvantage. for example I play 6-8 tables of nl20 and say I get 250 points for 3-4 hours play. I could play for two hours £22 DYM's playing the same amount of tables and get 250 points. You see!
    Posted by rancid
    I agree same rake and same points per rake! If sky change the sng/mtt rake to the same as the cash rake of 7.5% they can keep their points if it makes it easier :)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : How are you so worse off when you get 10 points per £1 rake and cash players during happy days will get 9 points. Still makes you 1 point better off my friend
    Posted by rancid
    your point is valid but it does not work out quite as easy as that does it because you can rake way more than £1 in the time it takes for an SNG  , if it did work out that we were always 1 point better off  there would be some SNG/DYM grinders in with a shot of the top10 but as it is we hardly break the top30 and have very little chance of doing so !!

• edited January 2014
    Frankly, the fairest way of dealing with this is to split the prizepool, and have two different leaderboards, one for points accumulated on cash tables and one for points accumulated on sng and mtts etc.  This could, of course, have been done from the outset and deal with it as two separate promotions.  On other sites that I play on, they separate these kind of promotions to avoid unfairness.  Let's hope Sky will rethink future promotions of this kind.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : your point is valid but it does not work out quite as easy as that does it because you can rake way more than £1 in the time it takes for an SNG  , if it did work out that we were always 1 point better off  there would be some SNG/DYM grinders in with a shot of the top10 but as it is we hardly break the top30 and have very little chance of doing so !!
    Posted by TheRevenge

On average a DYM takes about 45 minutes, if you played a £220 DYM you would get 200 points.

If you was to play nl200 for 45 minutes, you would have to pay £33 in rake to get 200 points.

---

so £22 DYM = 20 points

nl20 = £3.30 in rake to get 20 points in 45 minutes

--

rake is 5% of pot so you would need to be in a total of £70 worth of pots
    Being involved in £70 worth of pots is just not possible
    for every £20 we put in the pot we get raked £1.....so it kinda equats to 3 all in's with in an hour
    also if pot is +£36 max rake is £1.80

Rake levels: Above 5p/10p

Number of Players Maximum Rake % per Pot Maximum Rake per Pot
     2 5% of the pot* £1.00
     3+ 5% of the pot* £1.80
    --
    £0.20£0.01
    £0.40£0.02
    £0.60£0.03
    £0.80£0.04
    £1.00£0.05
    £2.00£0.10
    £3.00£0.15
    £6.00£0.30
    £9.00£0.45
    £12.00£0.60
    £15.00£0.75
    £18.00£0.90
    £21.00£1.05
    £24.00£1.20
    £27.00£1.35
    £30.00£1.50
    £33.00£1.65
    £36.00+£1.80
    some of the above may not be 100% accurate but...

What are you saying!

look example
    • £1 contributed in rake = 6 Poker Points earned.

For example: Richard and Adam are playing in a pot. Richard has contributed £1.60 in rake, Adam has contributed 50p. Richard would earn 9.6 Poker Points, Adam would earn 3 Poker Points.

Anyway....

As MTT's take a lot longer then they should receive higher points but short games like DYM's for example should come down in points.

So .... I think it should be more balanced structure where points are distributed fairly.

I think MTT's players are the worst hit, they should shouting up as to why it's so unfair that they don't get more points than SNG players!

Reagrding the Happy days promo, all round it's bad timing to put it at the end of another promo.
    Not fair for everybody concerned.

• edited January 2014
    Looking at this from a mutual ( if thats the right word) point of view it does seem harsh on the STT/DYM grinders going for the PS4

I think the whole "points between rake for cash and STT,s " is irrelevant in this case as the OP is just eluding to this particular rake race where it wasn,t stated anywhere on the t,c and c,s that one variant of the game would be givem its own point booster promo in the last week of the month which of course will count toward the PS4 race.

I,m sure if the points boost had applied to STT/DYM players there would be a lot of unhappy cash players today 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Happy Days Promotion : On average a DYM takes about 45 minutes, if you played a £220 DYM you would get 200 points. If you was to play nl200 for 45 minutes, you would have to pay £33 in rake to get 200 points. --- so £22 DYM = 20 points nl20 = £3.30 in rake to get 20 points in 45 minutes -- rake is 5% of pot so you would need to be in a total of £70 worth of pots Being involved in £70 worth of pots is just not possible Rake levels: Above 5p/10p  Number of Players   Maximum Rake % per Pot   Maximum Rake per Pot  2  5% of the pot*  £1.00  3+  5% of the pot*  £1.80 -- some of the above may not be 100% accurate but... What are you saying!
    Posted by rancid
    tell me where all the SNG/DYM grinders are then , across the whole site there must be a few decent grinders that should be breaking top30 in that PS4 leaderboard but there is not as far im aware so it just goes to prove that cash games are favored for points one way or another and this weekends added promo is just gonna send us down the leaderboard faster than ever . 

anyway im done with this now , its clear to me cash game players are the high priority here with very little concern for sng so i cant see me hanging round for much longer if i get blown away in the PS4 leaderboard which is likely to happen this weekend . 

good luck to the sng players that are clinging on for there life in the leaderboard because your going to need it .
  • edited January 2014
    Thought this would be a great promotion...until I read it was cash only.

Still from Sky's point of view they make the most money from cash so you have to expect them to reward these players more. I agree with people saying it's strange timing with the PS4 Promo closing.
  • edited January 2014
    DYMers can definitely earn points a lot faster at similar BI levels (although BI wise its hard/impossible to compare like for like), that's why some people like Donk specifically switched to DYMs this month cos they knew they'd get more points. 

That said, its irrelevant because going into the promo everyone knewhow things stood RE: earning points, now its changed. 

I know Sky do loads of promos and they seem to be quite dynamic about it but imo they just need to shift the dates they plan things I.e. pretty much every promo should be announced 2-4 weeks earlier than they currently are and avoid things like this.