You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

peter27's Formula One Betting Thread!

edited November 2014 in Betting Chat
In Response to peter27's Formula One Betting Thread!:
Hey guys, I am quite experienced when it comes to sports betting (despite only being 21) and do make a profit overall when it comes to placing bets, albeit playing at a low stake level. My most common sport to bet on is football, and while I am a football nut - my true passion in life is Motorsport. I am now combining by experience gambling and my love of Formula One to create this thread/challenge. How it works I will be staking a maximum of £10 before every Grand Prix of the season in order to try and make a profit. This may be on one bet, or several bets - but each week a maximum of £10 will be wagered. I will post all my bets here for you to see how I get on, and maybe even copy if you wanted - these essentially will be my tips!
Posted by peter27
Good Luck!

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Hey guys,

I am quite experienced when it comes to sports betting (despite only being 21) and do make a profit overall when it comes to placing bets, albeit playing at a low stake level. My most common sport to bet on is football, and while I am a football nut - my true passion in life is Motorsport. I am now combining by experience gambling and my love of Formula One to create this thread/challenge.

How it works
    I will be staking a maximum of £10 before every Grand Prix of the season in order to try and make a profit. This may be on one bet, or several bets - but each week a maximum of £10 will be wagered. I will post all my bets here for you to see how I get on, and maybe even copy if you wanted - these essentially will be my tips!

Record
    Pre-Season: + £162.12
    Race 1: Australia + £2.38
    Race 2: Malaysia + £4
    Race 3: Bahrain + £2.70
    Race 4: China - £1.87
    Race 5: Spain - £4.90
    Race 6: Monaco + £12.88
    Race 7: Canada + £1.08
    Race 8: Austria + £7.00
    Race 9: Britain - £5.50
    Race 10: Germany - £1.70
    Race 11: Hungary - £3.64
    Race 12: Belgium - £2.40
    Race 13: Italy + £3.72
    Race 14: Singapore + £4.80
    Race 15: Japan + £0.00
    Race 16: Russia + £6.67
    Race 17: United States + £3.00
    Race 18: Brazil - £20.00
    Race 19: Abu Dhabi + £64.09
    Total: + £234.43
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread!:
    In Response to peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : Good Luck!
    Posted by wynne1938
    Thank you very much Wynne!

About to post some bets now.
  • edited March 2014
    Pre-Season

Did not set myself a limit for these ones - the £10 limit only applies to the individual races.

Sky Bet

Mercedes 1-2 in Drivers Champs (Hamilton/Rosberg in any order) @ 7/2 - £10
    Mercedes F1 to win 8 or more races during the season @ 6/4 - £10
    Marussia F1 team to score a point in any of the first four races @ 4/5 - £10

Red Bull NOT to finish on podium in any of the first 5 races @ 13/8 - £8

Mercedes to win first 5 races @ 14/1 - £5
    Vettel NOT to win a race in 2014 @ 11/4 - £4
    Marussia and Caterham both to score a point during the season @ 6/4 - £4
    Williams to finish in top 3 of the Constructors Championship @ 9/4 - £2.50
    Felipe Massa to outscore Fernando Alonso (whole season) @ 9/4 - £2.50

Betfred

Constructors Championship 2014 Outright Winner: Mercedes @ EVS - £50

Total staked: £106
    To be settled: £106
    Returned: £0
    Profit/Loss: £0
  • edited March 2014
    Pre-Season Did not set myself a limit for these ones - the £10 limit only applies to the individual races. Sky Bet Mercedes 1-2 in Drivers Champs (Hamilton/Rosberg in any order) @ 7/2 - £10 Mercedes F1 to win 8 or more races during the season @ 6/4 - £10 Marussia F1 team to score a point in any of the first four races @ 4/5 - £10 Red Bull NOT to finish on podium in any of the first 5 races @ 13/8 - £8 Mercedes to win first 5 races @ 14/1- £5.00 Vettel NOT to win a race in 2014 @ 11/4- £4 .00 Marussia and Caterham both to score a point during the season @ 6/4 - £4.00 Williams to finish in top 3 of the Constructors Championship @ 9/4 - £2.50 Felipe Massa to outscore Fernando Alonso (whole season) @ 9/4 - £2.50 Betfred Constructors Championship 2014 Outright Winner: Mercedes @ EVS - £50 Total staked: £106 To be settled: £106 Profit/Loss: £0
    Posted by peter27
    Abit different to your poker diary Peter.

That's 2x your poker bankroll staked in post 1!

Saw a tip for Hamilton to win SPOTY in 2014 @ 14/1 ?

More value in that than backing him to win the F1 C'ship?

The favourite for SPOTY is Andy Murray, but he has doubts over his fitness and would probably need to win Wimbledon again to win the award.

Other rivals in the market are Chris Froome and Lizzy Yarnold from the winter Olympics, so not too much competition.

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner
  • edited March 2014
    Race 1: Australia

Sky Bet
    Qualifying Winning Margin: 0.250 Secs or More @ 5/4 - £1.50
    Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 4/1 - £1
    Top 6 Finish: Sergio Perez @ 2/1 - £1
    1st Team to Retire: Lotus @ 5/1 - £1

William Hill
    Winning Constructor - Race: Mercedes @ EVS - £2
    Podium Finish: Felipe Massa @ 11/4 - £1
    Race Winner (EW): Jules Bianchi @ 1000/1 - £1*
    Points Finish: Jules Bianchi @ 6/1 - £0.50
    Pole, Fastest Lap & Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 16/1 - £0.50
    Podium Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 6/1 - £0.50

*Obviously this selection is very unlikely, but I figure if the unreliability is worse than anyone expected, it's possible - good value at 1000/1 in my opinion!

Total staked: £10
    To be settled: £10
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : Abit different to your poker diary Peter. That's 2x your poker bankroll staked in post 1! Saw a tip for Hamilton to win SPOTY in 2014 @ 14/1 ? More value in that than backing him to win the F1 C'ship? The favourite for SPOTY is Andy Murray, but he has doubts over his fitness and would probably need to win Wimbledon again to win the award. Other rivals in the market are Chris Froome and Lizzy Yarnold from the winter Olympics, so not too much competition. http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    My bankroll is around £60 at the moment on my poker diary ;-)

I will be staking considerably more on F1 betting though because I have a much more detailed knowledge of F1 than I do poker! Of course I am working on my poker, but I doubt I will ever get to the same level as I am with motorsport, I have been watching religiously since I was four years old :p

SPOTY is not something I know too much about, but I guess 14/1 is value. Then again, I wouldn't say Lewis has done anything special in the last year so I'm not sure why he would win it (that is assuming the award is given based on performance in their respective field)?
  • edited March 2014
    He's 2/1 fave to win the F1 title, which would make him a big player in the SPOTY field where he's 14/1

Can't see many potential rivals tbh, maybe some will emerge from the boxing world throughout the year.

Anyway gl this weekend.
  • edited March 2014
    He's 2/1 fave to win the F1 title, which would make him a big player in the SPOTY field where he's 14/1 Can't see many potential rivals tbh, maybe some will emerge from the boxing world throughout the year. Anyway gl this weekend.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Oh, I see where you're coming from now - well yes, if SPOTY is awarded after November, and Lewis wins the title - then I guess he has a great chance! My money is on Rosberg though :D

Thank you very much! Fingers crossed :-)
  • edited March 2014
    Gone for both Williams cars to finish in the points at 11/10 !

same bet but less on Red bull EVENS .  (Just hope they both make it to the finish)
  • edited March 2014
    This seems interesting I have had £5 in total

Alonso 9/1
    Rosberg/Alonso 1-2 20/1
    Rosberg/Button 1-2 66/1
    Hamilton/Alonso 1-2 6/1
    Alonso/Button 1-2 150/1
  • edited March 2014
    Race 1: Australia (Result)

Sky Bet
    Qualifying Winning Margin: 0.250 Secs or More @ 5/4 - £1.50 ... WON £3.38
    Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 4/1 - £1 ... WON £5
    Top 6 Finish: Sergio Perez @ 2/1 - £1 ... LOST
    1st Team to Retire: Lotus @ 5/1 - £1 ... LOST

William Hill
    Winning Constructor - Race: Mercedes @ EVS - £2 ... WON £4
    Podium Finish: Felipe Massa @ 11/4 - £1 ... LOST
    Race Winner (EW): Jules Bianchi @ 1000/1 - £1 ... LOST
    Points Finish: Jules Bianchi @ 6/1 - £0.50 ... LOST
    Pole, Fastest Lap & Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 16/1 - £0.50 ... LOST
    Podium Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 6/1 - £0.50 ... LOST

To be settled: £0
    Returned: £12.38
    Profit/Loss: + £2.38
  • edited March 2014
    Gone for both Williams cars to finish in the points at 11/10 ! same bet but less on Red bull EVENS .  (Just hope they both make it to the finish)
    Posted by 1267
    Got unlucky with the Massa incident for the Williams bet, could have easily happened otherwise!

This seems interesting I have had £5 in total Alonso 9/1 Rosberg/Alonso 1-2 20/1 Rosberg/Button 1-2 66/1 Hamilton/Alonso 1-2 6/1 Alonso/Button 1-2 150/1
    Posted by 1981MATT
    None of these came off sadly :-(
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : Got unlucky with the Massa incident for the Williams bet, could have easily happened otherwise! In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : None of these came off sadly :-(
    Posted by peter27
    Not even after the DQ but 1-3 was quite close there seems to be good value in the reverse forecast 
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : Not even after the DQ but 1-3 was quite close there seems to be good value in the reverse forecast 
    Posted by 1981MATT
    Bottas would have had a podium if he didn't hit the wall! But it is only his second season so he's entitled to make some errors :-)
  • edited March 2014
    Im a big of on betting on F1 quite succesfully over the past year and a bit, ill share my opinions with you guys.

Theres a lot of value to be had in practise, ill post up my bets as and when i do them
  • edited March 2014
    Im a big of on betting on F1 quite succesfully over the past year and a bit, ill share my opinions with you guys. Theres a lot of value to be had in practise, ill post up my bets as and when i do them
    Posted by alex1229
    Interesting, I've never really found this myself. The only practice market I ever see is session winner, and while that does represent value, it is quite hard to pick the selection correctly - or make any reasonable stab at why one driver is likely to top the session. Will be interested to see your bets.
  • edited March 2014
    Race 2: Malaysia

Sky Bet
    Total Classified Finishers: Under 14.5 Finishers @ EVS - £1.25
    Vettel Specials: Not to be Classified @ 2/1 - £1.25
    Top 6 Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 3/1 - £1.25
    Lap 1 Retirements: 4 or More @ 7/1 - £1.25
    Ricciardo Specials: Not to be Classified @ 2/1 - £1

William Hill
    Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 2/1 - £2
    Podium Finish: Valtteri Bottas @ 13/5 - £1
    First Constructor Retirement: Lotus @ 5/1 - £1

Found it difficult to find value spots for this race, but I think I did a decent job in the end. Clearly from my selections I think Malaysia will be a race of attrition. Due to the humidity, the power units will be under much more stress than experienced at the last race and that's why I am expecting unreliability to be much higher than in Australia - not to mention the prospect of monsoon rains. One stumbling block may be if the race director decides to throw the safety car before the rain gets too bad, thus reducing the chances of cars spinning out and lowering the stress on the power units. Let's see what happens!

• edited March 2014
    Race 2: Malaysia (Result)

Sky Bet
    Total Classified Finishers: Under 14.5 Finishers @ EVS - £1.25 ... LOST
    Vettel Specials: Not to be Classified @ 2/1 - £1.25 ... LOST
    Top 6 Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 3/1 - £1.25 ... WON £5
    Lap 1 Retirements: 4 or More @ 7/1 - £1.25 ... LOST
    Ricciardo Specials: Not to be Classified @ 2/1 - £1 ... WON £3

William Hill
    Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 2/1 - £2 ... LOST
    Podium Finish: Valtteri Bottas @ 13/5 - £1 ... LOST
    First Constructor Retirement: Lotus @ 5/1 - £1 ... WON £6

Returned: £14
    Profit/Loss: + £4.00
  • edited March 2014
    Pre-Season (Update)

Sky Bet

Mercedes 1-2 in Drivers Champs (Hamilton/Rosberg in any order) @ 7/2 - £10
    Mercedes F1 to win 8 or more races during the season @ 6/4 - £10
    Marussia F1 team to score a point in any of the first four races @ 4/5 - £10

Red Bull NOT to finish on podium in any of the first 5 races @ 13/8 - £8
    ... LOST
    Mercedes to win first 5 races @ 14/1 - £5
    Vettel NOT to win a race in 2014 @ 11/4 - £4
    Marussia and Caterham both to score a point during the season @ 6/4 - £4
    Williams to finish in top 3 of the Constructors Championship @ 9/4 - £2.50
    Felipe Massa to outscore Fernando Alonso (whole season) @ 9/4 - £2.50

Betfred

Constructors Championship 2014 Outright Winner: Mercedes @ EVS - £50

Total staked: £106
    To be settled: £98
    Profit/Loss: - £8
  • edited April 2014
    Been looking at your (tips) for a little bit of interest when im betting on my formula 1, I must say sum of them seem to be a little bit more of a shot in the dark rather than a tip as such. I do like a trier though so good luck chap. if u ok il drop a few of my own before races. get a little bit of a comp going???
  • edited April 2014
    Race 1: Australia (Result) Sky Bet Qualifying Winning Margin: 0.250 Secs or More @ 5/4 - £1.50 ... WON £3.38 Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 4/1 - £1 ... WON £5 Top 6 Finish: Sergio Perez @ 2/1 - £1 ... LOST 1st Team to Retire: Lotus @ 5/1 - £1 ... LOST William Hill Winning Constructor - Race: Mercedes @ EVS - £2 ... WON £4 Podium Finish: Felipe Massa @ 11/4 - £1 ... LOST Race Winner (EW): Jules Bianchi @ 1000/1 - £1 ... LOST Points Finish: Jules Bianchi @ 6/1 - £0.50 ... LOST Pole, Fastest Lap & Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 16/1 - £0.50 ... LOST Podium Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 6/1 - £0.50 ... LOST Total staked: £10 To be settled: £0 Returned: £12.38 Profit/Loss: + £2.38
    Posted by peter27
    Just so you know, start of the season or not.  This really was the worst bet ever !!!  £1 million to 1 would not be good value.

Good luck with the thread, and of course Bahrain.   Will post my thoughts after practise,  or qualifying.
  • edited April 2014
    Race 3: Bahrain

Sky Bet
    Points Finish: Sergio Perez @ 7/4 - £1
    Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 9/4 - £1
    Raikkonen Specials: Set Race Fastest Lap @ 18/1 - £0.50

William Hill
    Top 6 Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 6/4 - £2

Bet365
    Podium Finish: Sebastian Vettel @ 11/10 - £1

Bwin
    Race Specials: How many cars will be placed in the final classification: Exactly 15 cars @ 15/2 - £1

PaddyPower
    Outright Group Betting 2 (Bot/Mas/Rai/But): Kimi Raikkonen @ 12/5 - £2
    Outright Group Betting 3 (Mag/Hul/Ric/Ver): Daniel Ricciardo @ 23/10 - £1.50

Actually found value spots for this race quite easy, spread my bets across several different bookies - as you can see. Fingers crossed!

• edited April 2014
    Been looking at your (tips) for a little bit of interest when im betting on my formula 1, I must say sum of them seem to be a little bit more of a shot in the dark rather than a tip as such. I do like a trier though so good luck chap. if u ok il drop a few of my own before races. get a little bit of a comp going???
    Posted by Clackett
    Hmmm, interesting comments. All my tips do have some sort of logic, thought and reasoning behind them. If you wanted to pick out some specific tips that you thought were "shots in the dark", I would be more than happy to explain the reasoning behind them. Then again, aren't all tips a shot in the dark to a certain extent as they may not come true.

Yeah, I would love you to post your own tips on here - would be great to have some competition :D

In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : Just so you know, start of the season or not.  This really was the worst bet ever !!!  £1 million to 1 would not be good value. Good luck with the thread, and of course Bahrain.   Will post my thoughts after practise,  or qualifying.
    Posted by 1267
    I strongly disagree. Of course, that was never going to happen under normal circumstances - but the opening race was not normal circumstances, we had no idea how many cars would finish. It was perfectly reasonable to assume that any car that finished the race would score points given what had happened in pre-season testing. There were only 13 finishers in that race so it was close (although he did retire himself actually - we needed him to finish the race). Given the 1000/1 price, I was more than happy to place 10% of my "weekend roll" on it :-)
  • edited April 2014
    I had £10 on Hamilton last week at 9/4 (took the price during practise)

Not sure about this week but think it will be Hamilton or Rosberg again. Its just tring to get a good price

Ant tips for a podium or a points finish?
  • edited April 2014
    I had £10 on Hamilton last week at 9/4 (took the price during practise) Not sure about this week but think it will be Hamilton or Rosberg again. Its just tring to get a good price Ant tips for a podium or a points finish?
    Posted by MP33
    Unless they suffer unreliability or unusual circumstances, one of the two Mercedes drivers (Hamilton or Rosberg) are almost guaranteed to win the race. I still stick to what I said pre-season on my F1 website; I think Mercedes will win every race this season. I work for Williams, and have contact with many engineers within the sport; Mercedes' margin this season to the other teams is massive, more so than ever seen in F1 history some people are saying.

My podium prediction (post-qualifying) would be Rosberg, Hamilton & Perez. As for drivers to score points, I would suggest Nico Hulkenberg for a top six finish (something I already tipped this weekend, see above) and Daniil Kvyat to score points from 12th on the grid might also provide some value. Hope that helps!
  • edited April 2014
    Race 3: Bahrain (Result)

Sky Bet
    Points Finish: Sergio Perez @ 7/4 - £1 ... WON £2.75
    Race Winner: Nico Rosberg @ 9/4 - £1 ... LOST
    Raikkonen Specials: Set Race Fastest Lap @ 18/1 - £0.50 ... LOST

William Hill
    Top 6 Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 6/4 - £2 ... WON £5

Bet365
    Podium Finish: Sebastian Vettel @ 11/10 - £1 ... LOST

Bwin
    Race Specials: How many cars will be placed in the final classification: Exactly 15 cars @ 15/2 - £1 ... LOST

PaddyPower
    Outright Group Betting 2 (Bot/Mas/Rai/But): Kimi Raikkonen @ 12/5 - £2 ... LOST
    Outright Group Betting 3 (Mag/Hul/Ric/Ver): Daniel Ricciardo @ 23/10 - £1.50 ... WON £4.95

Returned: £12.70
    Profit/Loss: + £2.70
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : Unless they suffer unreliability or unusual circumstances, one of the two Mercedes drivers (Hamilton or Rosberg) are almost guaranteed to win the race. I still stick to what I said pre-season on my F1 website; I think Mercedes will win every race this season. I work for Williams, and have contact with many engineers within the sport; Mercedes' margin this season to the other teams is massive, more so than ever seen in F1 history some people are saying. My podium prediction (post-qualifying) would be Rosberg, Hamilton & Perez. As for drivers to score points, I would suggest Nico Hulkenberg for a top six finish (something I already tipped this weekend, see above) and Daniil Kvyat to score points from 12th on the grid might also provide some value. Hope that helps!
    Posted by peter27
    Really enjoying reading this.
    Nice prediction above.
    The way the Mercedes drove away after the safety car was incredible.
    You maybe right about winning every race. It looks like only crashes and possibly weather can stop them.

Keep up the good work.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: peter27's Formula One Betting Thread! : Really enjoying reading this. Nice prediction above. The way the Mercedes drove away after the safety car was incredible. You maybe right about winning every race. It looks like only crashes and possibly weather can stop them. Keep up the good work.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Thank you very much! Just needed Rosberg & Hamilton the other way round.

Yep, I knew Mercedes' car is that dominant. The funny thing is that I'm still pretty sure the team did not have their engines running at full power during the race .. :/
  • edited April 2014
    Race 4: China

Bet Victor*
    Podium Finish: Nico Hulkenberg @ 4/1 - £1
    Top 6 Finish: Sergio Perez @ 6/5 - £1
    Outright Group C Race (Rai/Per/Mag/Kvy): Sergio Perez @ 37/20 - £1
    Outright Group A Race (Vet/Alo/Bot/Ric): Valtteri Bottas @ 11/4 - £0.50
    Outright Group B Race (Mas/Hul/But/Per): Nico Hulkenberg @ 9/4 - £0.50

Bwin
    Race Specials: How many cars will be placed in the final classification: Exactly 15 cars @ 15/2 - £1

SkyBet
    Race Winner: Nico Robserg @ 2/1 - £2
    1st Practice: Nico Hulkenberg @ 33/1 - £0.50

StanJames
    Safety Car: Yes @ 5/4 - £1.50

William Hill
    Points Finish: Daniil Kvyat @ 2/1 - £1    

The two Force India drivers feature quite heavily in my bets this weekend - hopefully they show strongly like at the previous race. I see no reason to suggest otherwise.

*Note: My Bet Victor bets were done using "promo cash", essentially they are free bets and if they win I will be returned the profit, but not the original stake.

Total staked: £10 (including £4 in promo cash)
    To be settled: £10 (including £4 in promo cash)
  • edited April 2014
    Just noticed a nice bet on Sky right now here.

I am SUPER confident that will come off, and 3/1 is a cracking price! Wish I had a spare £1K to put on it to be honest! :/ I urge all of you to lump on!