You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker diary...................Habbin a little luck

13»

Comments

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Poker diary...................Habbin a mare!!!!!!!!!!:
    In Response to Re: Poker diary...................Habbin a mare!!!!!!!!!! : Just to clarify i'm not paying off the same people over and over again. I am very much a note taker and after a few hands i generally have a good feel for someones play, the comments above were more of a generalisation of the play i have encountered over the last few days and i certainly dont remember spazzing off too many BI's to the same players. I guess as much as anything it's been a tilt thing, where i've flopped a made hand and i cant believe random x, y and z have all turned a better hand and i've paid them off surely sometimes its going to be a semi bluff!!! Just variance i guess. For me i'm not too sure shoving the nuts in a cash game on the flop and sometimes on the turn( taking in to account the stack to pot ratio) is going to be that profitable surely the villian is going to need a very strong holding to call us and we are missing a ton of value from weaker holdings.  Just my thoughts fwiw. Hopefully today will be another successful one and i can keep the momentum going. Right im off to the tables now thanks for reading and contributing.  
    Posted by habbin
    First of all gl:)

Secondly, as I am finding myself rather quickly, just because you consider a particular move to be a bad play (and your reasoning is fine), doesn't mean that any given villain doesn't. There are so many strange plays that occur in the world of microstakes that it can be difficult to know when first faced with one of these strange moves. The more of this information we can note, the better it will stand us in good stead for later:)
  • edited April 2014

Well I've just finished my first session of the day which has been a fairly poor one. Struggled for hands in the first half hour or so and got my hand slapped a few times when caught trying to re-steal. Then this hand came up, it's a classic example of shoving with the nuts and also it looks like I haven't learnt my lesson!!!  My thoughts were when he just called the 4bet that he had an AK type of hand, I've not had anybody flat call a 4bet with AA or KK to date. When he shoved the flop it looked like a semi bluff at the time with the spades and g/s draw. What would you do? This guy had been fairly active and was a one tabler and somebody that I've never played before.

MRHUD Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.50
    SillyShazz Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.14
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

Swog Fold     
    habbin Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £11.37
    ACE1969 Fold     
    Schpie Call  £0.30 £0.75 £7.29
    MRHUD Raise  £1.25 £2.00 £9.25
    SillyShazz Fold     
    habbin Raise  £2.70 £4.70 £8.67
    Schpie Fold     
    MRHUD Call  £1.70 £6.40 £7.55
    Flop

• J
    • J

MRHUD All-in  £7.55 £13.95 £0.00
    habbin Call  £7.55 £21.50 £1.12
    MRHUD Show

habbin Show
    • Q
    • Q

Turn

River

MRHUD Win Full House, 10s and Jacks £20.10
  • edited April 2014
    QQ hand i probably 4b slightly bigger, his peel is kind of annoying followed by the donk jam. hate it because it feels like it is exactly what it is, but i donno, feel like we still have to call but hes going to have smacked that flop like that soo often. 
  • edited April 2014
    After that action, that's an awful flop for QQ. Whilst JJ is unlikely, 1010 is very real, as is a slow played AA/KK. Calling off here means we hope he's gone awry with 99 or has just donked AK despite having the chance to 5bet AI with it pre with equity.

Looks like the villain had your number, and knew you wouldn't lay down an overpair to the board.
  • edited April 2014
    After that action, that's an awful flop for QQ. Whilst JJ is unlikely, 1010 is very real, as is a slow played AA/KK. Calling off here means we hope he's gone awry with 99 or has just donked AK despite having the chance to 5bet AI with it pre with equity. Looks like the villain had your number, and knew you wouldn't lay down an overpair to the board.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I think that is the thing, 4 bets are so rare at these levels that oppo is going to have your range with QQ/KK/AA and not a lot else (even those that aren't much of a thinking player)... and there are very few players that can consistently lay them down in this spot (I'll be honest, I'd struggle unless I had specific notes... even then I'd probably still make the odd curious call).

I think a lot more people are getting wise to the value shove on the river now, but probably still a valid value bet. I guess if a player has the balls, there is probably some good money to be found with river bluff shoves against the right players?

If I wasn't such a nit I might try that more myself!
  • edited April 2014
    It's been a pretty slow day today really, the most exciting hand was the one i posted above.  Donked off a few chips here and there but other than that its been a fairly uneventful day.

I did mange to turn a small profit just shy of a Bi so its not all bad but i was hoping for a little more after yesterday.

I've been messing about a bit with 3bet sizes today and wondered what do other regs out there feel is the optimum size in position,  out of position, with one caller or with multiple callers before we act etc. I would just be interested to hear some thoughts and opinions really. Also is there room for 3betting/4 betting light at 10nl?

Day 15     +    9.30

total         -    52.88
  • edited April 2014
    Also is there room for 3betting/4 betting light at 10nl?

Wouldn't bother as most peoples 3betting ranges here are so tight 4betting light is a disaster waiting to happen. If players won't fold 2ndP to at least 2 barrels in a 3b pot (as quite a few won't especially if it's pockets and there is just one overcard) then you're just burning money. Stick to value as it's only the regs that will actually pick up on this and the fish won't care:)
  • edited April 2014

Yeah I'd second that 4bet light is just not an option in NL10 or lower (save for forum games!)

I think there are opportunities to 3bet light in spots though, as long as you take care with who you target and who else is left to act in the hand.

3bets are so infrequent at these levels compared to higher stakes that I believe they are given way more credit than they should be, which means lots of folds and picking up pots preflop.

The only time you are going to get 4bet is by a nit (in which case you insta-fold as they always have it... but you'll likely win enough pots pre to compensate the time you have to 3b / f)

...or against a maniac (in which case you wouldn't have 3bet too light and would have expected to call off lighter than usual anyway).

Although saying all that, reiterating what gets told to me at these levels, don't get too fancy dan and concentrate on betting for value - level 1 poker to beat the level 0 recs and knowing when to visit level 2 poker to beat the level 1 regs.

• edited April 2014
    Tough day today. Lost the best part of 3 BI's after about an hour of the first session and spent the reat of my time trying to claw it back.

Lost a BI in a limped pot which really annoyed me. I had 66 and the flop came 236, all the money went in on the flop and villain had 45. 5 mins later on another table 3 handed i flopped a straight and got reraised all in, villain hit nut straight on turn sigh.

Managed to turn it around tonight and just finished up in profit for the day so cant really complain.

Day 16     + 2.63

Total       -  50.25

On a brighter note Cambridge managed to win again!!!!
  • edited April 2014
    I've had a decent day today, managed to play pretty solidly early doors for a change and to gradually grind stacks in each of the three session that i played. I definitely missed out on some  value in a couple of hands but apart from that i'm happy with my days work. I definitely ran better today and dont really remember many bad beats at all, i even managed to river a ROYAL FLUSH!!!!! 

Hopefully i've put my bad patch firmly behind me know and i can continue to win a few quid regularly for the rest of the month. I'm definitely going to add some tournies to my schedule over the next few weeks, mainly mini's and low BI deepstacks to start with.

I'm probably going to watch Cambridge tomorrow and with another win the play off place will be secured and probably second place too if Grimsby lose again.

Day 17    + 53.30

Total       +3.05
  • edited April 2014
    I've had a decent day today, managed to play pretty solidly early doors for a change and to gradually grind stacks in each of the three session that i played. I definitely missed out on some  value in a couple of hands but apart from that i'm happy with my days work. I definitely ran better today and dont really remember many bad beats at all, i even managed to river a ROYAL FLUSH!!!!!  Hopefully i've put my bad patch firmly behind me know and i can continue to win a few quid regularly for the rest of the month. I'm definitely going to add some tournies to my schedule over the next few weeks, mainly mini's and low BI deepstacks to start with. I'm probably going to watch Cambridge tomorrow and with another win the play off place will be secured and probably second place too if Grimsby lose again. Day 17     + 53.30 Total       +3.05
    Posted by habbin
    Yeah you got 2nd in the bag now. Was a bad result against Dartford. Hopefully we will be back on winning ways against Chester today though. 2 more wins should secure a play off spot for us........see you at Wembley!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Poker diary...................Habbin a mare!!!!!!!!!! : Yeah you got 2nd in the bag now. Was a bad result against Dartford. Hopefully we will be back on winning ways against Chester today though. 2 more wins should secure a play off spot for us........see you at Wembley!
    Posted by waller02

Well at least you managed to beat chester today so the play off spot cant be far off from being locked up now. Having said that Halifax and Braintree are in very good form so you definitely cant relax just yet. Not really sure who i fancy in the semi's now to be honest but a Cambridge vs Grimsby final would definitely have the highest attendance and make for a better atmosphere/occasion. 

Gl for the rest of the season
  • edited April 2014
    Well another winning day today, i managed to win just over 3.5 BI's which im fairly pleased about. I feel like im getting some momentum going now and i just need to carry on doing what im doing and the results will follow.

I thought that i would set a target of 5000 pts for the month as a challenge to help me stay at the tables grinding for longer. I currently have just shy of 1400pts so ive still got a lot of work to do.

A question for the multitablers

How do you manage to keep up with the action when you are sat at 6+ tables? I find it a real struggle to keep up with anymore than 5 , unless the action is really nitty so less chance of being in multiple tough spots. Having played elsewhere recently i have definitely noticed the timebar on sky is very short/quick or at least seems it!!! Any advice or tips would be welcome.

Day 18    + 35.80

Total       + 38.85

Points      1391

• edited April 2014
    Well i thought that it was about time that i updated my diary.  The last week or so has been really busy for me so sadly i have had little time to play. Other interests such as fishing have taken priority over poker this last week or so and fished my first ever FISHOMANIA qualifier at Makins Fishery which turned out to be a disaster, with too many lost fish as well as not being fully prepared for the type of fishing that awaited me. At least i now have a better understanding of the fishery and tactics needed to be successful for next year.

Friday/Saturday i went to the east coast to see some relatives and i had a stroke of luck on a fruity, winning £211 for an outlay of just £4!!!! Hopefully i'll now start running good at the tables.

The little poker that i have played has seen mainly poor results and I'm about 4BI's down over the last week most of which came in one session.  I should now be able to play everyday for the rest of the month and i'm aiming for 2oopts a day which should give me a monthly total of 4000pts.

Day 26    - 39.66

Total       - 0.81

Points      1868
  • edited April 2014
    A very tough day today with the start to each session being particularly brutal, so i have been playing catch up for most of the day.  I've lost count of the amount of times ive flopped a set and gone on to lose the hand today and at one point i had to have a word with myself because the frustration was getting the better of me and i was starting to spew money.

Thankfully the last session of the day was a little better and i've managed to finish the day nearly 3BI's up which i am pleased with after the start to the day. I was some way off with my points tally though only managing to accrue 165 pts.

Im starting to worry a little about cambridge now, having lost the last three games we really need to win our last game of the season to go in to the play offs with some form at least. Hopefully it has just been a case of easing off a little after securing a play off spot and we will be back to winning ways when it matters.

Day   27   +  27.94

Total         +  27.13

Points        2033
  • edited April 2014
    Managed another winning day today, not as much as i would of liked but i finished just over 2 BI'S to the good.
    The first session was slow but i managed to turn a small profit. The second session was metal!!!! I either got my money in miles in front and got sucked out on or i managed to get it in bad and catch a miracle card so i finished the session down. Tonight i ran better and managed to win a few quid back.

Points tally for the day was poor but i think mainly due to the fact that i couldnt find many cards or decent situations in the first session of the day.

Day 28      + 21.15

Total         + 48.28

Points        2153 
  • edited May 2014
    Well i haven't updated for a week or so and in that time i've managed to have a sizeable blow up (-8BI's in one session) and then go on to steadily win it back with mostly winning sessions thereafter.  After throwing away 8 BI's in the manner that i did i had a serious look at how/why this keeps happening.  We all know that some days you just can't win, its the nature of variance and variance is ultimately our friend. So i've decided to implement a stop-loss of 4 BI's and if i hit this then i will shut down all cash tables.I think this will stop me from getting so tilted and donking off money in spots that i shouldn't. I may well carry on playing poker in a different format to keep the points ticking over ie low level dym's but i hope this will stop the heavy losses.

Day    36   +   14.39

total         +   62.67

Points       3060

Targets for May.

I'm going to set myself some targets for this month which are as follows:

Earn 150 pts a day so around 4500pts for the month.

Play a few low BI tournaments mainly deepstacks

Not to have a losing day greater than 4 BI's

Make a decent profit.

A Bit of luck

Today i was notified that i have won an ipad air in the sky races draw!!!! I've kindly said that i would donate this to the missus to keep her happy because i'm always on her laptop. Thanks sky for a great promotion.

It looks like cambridge are going to need a little luck if they are going to make it to the play off final. We lost the first leg of the semi's away at Halifax last night, albeit only 1-0 but we havent scored now in 5 games so the return leg on sunday is going to be tough. Fingers crossed we can finally find some form on the big occasion.

This month i have also got 3 more fishomania qualifiers so with a bit of luck maybe i can qualify for the televised final and fish for the £ 25000 first prize!!

Well im off now to start this months grind wish me luck. :0)

• edited May 2014
    Good Luck
    Run golden
  • edited May 2014
    Well done on the ipad!! Sooooo jealousssssss!
    I think it's wise to try to stop playing cash after a few losses of BIs, hard to actually make yourself stop in the moment though...
    Very good luck!
  • edited May 2014
    A good omen for the start of the month - hopefully the crushing will commence:)
  • edited May 2014
    Congrats to Cambridge....never in doubt. See you at Wembley (hopefully). Was going to Gateshead today but the missus was kicking off so it's BT sport all the way.........MARINERS!!!! We were by far the better side on Thursday but the game is def hanging in the balance!!!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Poker diary...................Habbin a little luck:
    Congrats to Cambridge....never in doubt. See you at Wembley (hopefully). Was going to Gateshead today but the missus was kicking off so it's BT sport all the way.........MARINERS!!!! We were by far the better side on Thursday but the game is def hanging in the balance!!!
    Posted by waller02

Shame you couldnt join us in the final mate, hopefully we will be able to turn Gateshead over and finally get ourselves back in to the league. I didnt see your game but i noticed that you had a couple of players sent off?  I guess it was always going to be tough after the first red.
  • edited May 2014
    Well its been a slow month pokerwise with lots of life things getting in the way.  Im currently up about 3.5 BI's for the month which could of been a lot better if i could of found  the fold button in a couple of big hands. Also got very unlucky yesterday in a 3way all in pot when one of the villians spiked a set on the river...... sigh what could of been.

I seem to have tightened up a little too much since my last blow up and its definitely cost me value a few times so im going to work on getting a little more aggression back into my game over the next few days.

Day     41

Total    99.17

points  535
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Poker diary...................Habbin a little luck:
    In Response to Re: Poker diary...................Habbin a little luck : Shame you couldnt join us in the final mate, hopefully we will be able to turn Gateshead over and finally get ourselves back in to the league. I didnt see your game but i noticed that you had a couple of players sent off?  I guess it was always going to be tough after the first red.
    Posted by habbin
    The first red card was a joke, straight red for a challenge that prob wasn't even a booking. We actually equalised after going down to 10 men. The second red card I have no complaint with, stupid challenge from a player who had already been booked........once down to 9 men there was only ever gonna be one outcome!!!

Best of luck to you in the final though, hope you do em!!