You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY

Comments

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY:
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : Ok you are correct - 'fair' is not the word i should of used.  A more accurate measure of the 'Best' would be based on profit?
    Posted by BIGSHANN

Also my point being is with this, unlike the 'races', there is no incentive to play more tournaments if you bink a big one early for the regular tounament players, if your goal is to be in the top 10.  To win the Races you can pile in the hours and play 20 tables to get in to the top x places but this works the opposite way for tournament players?  

Or maybe I am completely wrong and should not bother posting as usual?
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY:
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : Also my point being is with this, unlike the 'races', there is no incentive to play more tournaments if you bink a big one early for the regular tounament players, if your goal is to be in the top 10.  To win the Races you can pile in the hours and play 20 tables to get in to the top x places but this works the opposite way for tournament players?   Or maybe I am completely wrong and should not bother posting as usual?
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    Ha!

Not saying you are wrong Shanny, just explaining the (assumed) logic.

Guess there is room for tactical play - if you binked huge early doors in the MTT jobbie, then switch games & go the Freeroll, SNG or Cash Route, to maximise your chances.

In many previous Promos, there has been chuntering from the SNG/MTT/Cash/Small/Medium/Big players, so here, it looks to me they they have tried to ensure EVERYONE has a chance. It's very difficult getting the balance right & pleasing every player.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : Ha! Not saying you are wrong Shanny, just explaining the (assumed) logic.   Guess there is room for tactical play - if you binked huge early doors in the MTT jobbie, then switch games & go the Freeroll, SNG or Cash Route, to maximise your chances. In many previous Promos, there has been chuntering from the SNG/MTT/Cash/Small/Medium/Big players, so here, it looks to me they they have tried to ensure EVERYONE has a chance. It's very difficult getting the balance right & pleasing every player.
    Posted by Tikay10

No I understand the whole point of these promotions is to try and 'catch all' and increase player numbers.  I think the races do this and the SNG promo is a weekly promo so you get 4 bites of the cherry but the MTT promo is flawed imo - The top 10 will most probably be comprised of the ten people who win the daily mini and only play around 15/20 tournaments in the month. 

If this is the aim of the MTT promo then it will work - I do not think it will encourage higher numbers, and there is no incentive what so ever to play more tournaments than normal if anything - the opposite.  For example if my Poker Goal for May is to try and be in the top 10 of the MTT table I may as well deregister from all the tournaments i am currently regged in and just play the 15 tournaments with the highest potential roi for the month and hope i bink one!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : No I understand the whole point of these promotions is to try and 'catch all' and increase player numbers.  I think the races do this and the SNG promo is a weekly promo so you get 4 bites of the cherry but the MTT promo is flawed imo - The top 10 will most probably be comprised of the ten people who win the daily mini and only play around 15/20 tournaments in the month.  If this is the aim of the MTT promo then it will work - I do not think it will encourage higher numbers, and there is no incentive what so ever to play more tournaments than normal if anything - the opposite.  For example if my Poker Goal for May is to try and be in the top 10 of the MTT table I may as well deregister from all the tournaments i am currently regged in and just play the 15 tournaments with the highest potential roi for the month and hope i bink one!
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    That's as broad as it is long, though, given MTT variance.

You COULD - & very likely would - play, say, 25 or 50 Tourneys & not cash much, then go on a heater & cash in or win several. That's how MTT's work, as you know.

I'm just trying to set out the Promos in easy to read lingo, I can't really attempt to justify, or not, the logic of the Promos, heads far wiser than mine (though probably not older) put them together.  
  • edited May 2014
    The thing I'm questioning is whether a package overrides an original seat or not. i.e. If you win your seat (£1000) through sats, but then won a package in the promo obviously that's worth more because of the £500 spending money.... so if you win your own seat, then win the promo do you at least get given the £500 so that you haven't lost out? I suppose the workaround for this is, if you're in the Final sat to win a seat then even if you intend to play the ME, you should reg it first, win the seat, and dereg to take te £1000? Then you've got the money and are open to win a package too?
    Posted by Lambert180
    thats what i'm gonna do - play the game Paul :)
  • edited May 2014
    i know that tikay - and an amazing job you do -  did not intend this to be directed at you - just airing my views.

As I said in initial post I liked the thought of it, but then when I read the details realised that is was a promo that I personally was very unlikely to benefit from dispite being one of the highest volume MTT players on the site over the last month or 2.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : That's as broad as it is long, though, given MTT variance. You COULD - & very likely would - play, say, 25 or 50 Tourneys & not cash much, then go on a heater & cash in or win several. That's how MTT's work, as you know. I'm just trying to set out the Promos in easy to read lingo, I can't really attempt to justify, or not, the logic of the Promos, heads far wiser than mine (though probably not older) put them together.  
    Posted by Tikay10

for the suggestion box (as it was last time): the average ROI challenges into blocks of games, where the best block counts. So in this case, each 15 games block is a new attempt - everyone has a chance, grinders have a bit more of a chance.

my guess of the the thinking behind it is: not may people will be in with a shot of the top 10 after 15 games, so will carry on their grind anyway. those that are in with a shot will obviously be playing tactically - but we are talking maybe 20 people. Sky made their minds up with how they want to approcah it and I think all we can do is to play along - play tactically if your in with a shot. if numbers are lower than expected in MTTs durig the promo it'll prob be different nxt time.
  • edited May 2014
    The thing I'm questioning is whether a package overrides an original seat or not. i.e. If you win your seat (£1000) through sats, but then won a package in the promo obviously that's worth more because of the £500 spending money.... so if you win your own seat, then win the promo do you at least get given the £500 so that you haven't lost out? I suppose the workaround for this is, if you're in the Final sat to win a seat then even if you intend to play the ME, you should reg it first, win the seat, and dereg to take te £1000? Then you've got the money and are open to win a package too?
    Posted by Lambert180
    I've got no idea, Paul, sorry, & I'm not going to answer on the grounds that it might incrimi-whatsit me.

• edited May 2014
    Yeah hopefully this gets cleared up a little bit or maybe I just havn't read it correct. Say you come in the runners up places and win a seat into the £240 final, if you then reg the main event while playing that and win a seat..you get the money yes? 

I would also assume they'll pay the £500 in accom money if someone wins a seat via the promo that has already registered 
  • edited May 2014
    i know that tikay - and an amazing job you do -  did not intend this to be directed at you - just airing my views. As I said in initial post I liked the thought of it, but then when I read the details realised that is was a promo that I personally was very unlikely to benefit from dispite being one of the highest volume MTT players on the site over the last month or 2.
    Posted by BIGSHANN

i bet if your top of the leaderboard after 15 games you'd find some other games to play/another site to play on for the rest of the month :)
  • edited May 2014
    i know that tikay - and an amazing job you do -  did not intend this to be directed at you - just airing my views. As I said in initial post I liked the thought of it, but then when I read the details realised that is was a promo that I personally was very unlikely to benefit from dispite being one of the highest volume MTT players on the site over the last month or 2.
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    Just get it in "Solack Style" (say, 8-10 of spades, as you did to me in an SPT Sidey) & you'll be just fine.

;)

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : for the suggestion box (as it was last time): the average ROI challenges into blocks of games, where the best block counts. So in this case, each 15 games block is a new attempt - everyone has a chance, grinders have a bit more of a chance. my guess of the the thinking behind it is: not may people will be in with a shot of the top 10 after 15 games, so will carry on their grind anyway. those that are in with a shot will obviously be playing tactically - but we are talking maybe 20 people. Sky made their minds up with how they want to approcah it and I think all we can do is to play along - play tactically if your in with a shot. if numbers are lower than expected in MTTs durig the promo it'll prob be different nxt time.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Noted, Melty, ta very.

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : i bet if your top of the leaderboard after 15 games you'd find some other games to play/another site to play on for the rest of the month :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    exactly
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : exactly
    Posted by BIGSHANN

all I'm saying is that the effect of 20 odd people not palying much during the promotion so they dont "ruin their chances" is probably minimal compared to the effect it will have on extra people playing MTTs. I guess it must be the case, because the same thing was brought up last time and they decided to keep it as is.

• edited May 2014
    I just want to say I think all these promos are great.  I think they offer everyone a fair crack of the whip.

Re:  The MTT one, if you have a ROI league someone will say 'Why not profit?' and give a sound case as to why.  Equally if you have a profit league someone will say 'Why not ROI?' and make a sound case as to why.  Just roll with it imo.

I have no idea if I am eligible for any of these or what will happen if I win a seat through a weekly final again.  So I'm just gonna grind hard, play them anyway and see what happens.

Good luck all
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY :  all I'm saying is that the effect of 20 odd people not palying much during the promotion so they dont "ruin their chances" is probably minimal compared to the effect it will have on extra people playing MTTs. I guess it must be the case, because the same thing was brought up last time and they decided to keep it as is.
    Posted by chicknMelt[/QU

My point is though i don't think it will encourage more people to play?

Couple of suggestions for future promos:

1.  Have a couple of tiers like in other promos - you could split this between the current format and one where you have to play at least 100 tournaments - having 5 places for each.
    2. Split it between buyin levels again like other promos - £5.50 - £22/ above £22.

• edited May 2014
    I just want to say I think all these promos are great.  I think they offer everyone a fair crack of the whip. Re:  The MTT one, if you have a ROI league someone will say 'Why not profit?' and give a sound case as to why.  Equally if you have a profit league someone will say 'Why not ROI?' and make a sound case as to why.  Just roll with it imo. I have no idea if I am eligible for any of these or what will happen if I win a seat through a weekly final again.  So I'm just gonna grind hard, play them anyway and see what happens. Good luck all
    Posted by TommyD

This is the only sensible approach - normally I do not bother to post but just felt like it today.

gg nh wp gl all
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY :  all I'm saying is that the effect of 20 odd people not palying much during the promotion so they dont "ruin their chances" is probably minimal compared to the effect it will have on extra people playing MTTs. I guess it must be the case, because the same thing was brought up last time and they decided to keep it as is.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    That's about the sum of it. 20 people, playing or not, is barely measurable against the total.  
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : i bet if your top of the leaderboard after 15 games you'd find some other games to play/another site to play on for the rest of the month :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Surely, It depends on how much you would expect to win over the rest of the month?
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : Surely, It depends on how much you would expect to win over the rest of the month?
    Posted by MattBates
    I'd just up the tables on other sites and play sats only on here since they dont count and expect to make around the same overall.

I think if i were to bink something in the 1st 15 games or so, and lock up a UKPC package, it would already be a decent month on sky anyway

dont get me wrong, I'd prefer if you could opt out after x number of games, or have it that each block of 15 games is a different attempt.
  • edited May 2014
    Ughhh terrible promotion for an MTT grinder like me, but in all honesty i would be over the moon about this promo if i was an odd night recreational player. so swings and roundabouts i guess. Would be nice to have a promo for us MTT players sometime, but it's a very good and generous promotion none the less.
  • edited May 2014
    Hello,

FYI - to all those that have already won Main Event seats.  I will be adding this to all the ts&cs + promo pages:

Any player that has already won a 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat without the (£500 expense credit) can still participate in the promotion and will be awarded the same cash value up to £500 of the seat value/package they win.

Thanks,

Justin

• edited May 2014
    Here's an idea...if you have a package already,leave the free rolls etc to give others a chance?...only saying..
  • edited May 2014

Another question for clarification please. If you sat into a tournament for less than the £5.50 min....does that target tournament then count as part of your challenge?.....ie....play an AIPF sat for a £55 BH for £3?

Best of the Best Details:
    - Only tournaments with a minimum buy-in of £5.50 and that were played between 1st - 31st May 2014 will count towards this promotion.
    - All tournament types are included except for satellites, freerolls and timed tournaments.
  • edited May 2014
    Here's an idea...if you have a package already,leave the free rolls etc to give others a chance?...only saying..
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Some people have spent money to qualify, some people are looking at firing 2 bullets....maybe even 3 if required. Some people are currently trying to qualify so that's the reason for people trying to clarify the situation as it might be advantageous for some people to delay trying to sat in (or in fact try and sat in on DtD) if they think they can lock a seat through other means and if they don't get anything if they get two on sky. I cant see people playing the freeroll if they have qualified but people are going to enter the codes for all the other promos now so they know where they are in the various leaderboards etc.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Over 20 packages to be win for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC - starting TODAY : Hi Tikay Sent you a PM - Sorry for the lateness :)
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Already sorted it Trev, & sent you a reply.

I'm on the ball today - for a change!

It's usually me who is late, or forgets, so I'm glad it was you this time. ;)

Good luck tonight.
  • edited May 2014
    I just want to say I think all these promos are great.  I think they offer everyone a fair crack of the whip. Re:  The MTT one, if you have a ROI league someone will say 'Why not profit?' and give a sound case as to why.  Equally if you have a profit league someone will say 'Why not ROI?' and make a sound case as to why.  Just roll with it imo. I have no idea if I am eligible for any of these or what will happen if I win a seat through a weekly final again.  So I'm just gonna grind hard, play them anyway and see what happens. Good luck all
    Posted by TommyD
    Rock on, Tommy.

Someone could  - will! - bink Sunday's Mega-Roller & that's pretty much game over, so I prefer average ROI, as it gives those at lower levels the same chance to win.

Truth is, as you say, it is simply impossible to have a Promo which completely satisfies everyone. I reckon this one is as near as it gets though, right down to the Freerolls.
  • edited May 2014
    Ughhh terrible promotion for an MTT grinder like me, but in all honesty i would be over the moon about this promo if i was an odd night recreational player. so swings and roundabouts i guess. Would be nice to have a promo for us MTT players sometime, but it's a very good and generous promotion none the less.
    Posted by jordz16
    That's very gracious of you Jordz, well done.

The very large majority of ALL poker players are "odd night recreationals" to use your phrase. They rarely use Forums, they just do their thing & enjoy themselves, these players are the very backbone of poker, & it would be foolish in the extreme not to make Promos accessible to them.

For every one of you, raking x-ty times more than them as individuals, there are hundreds of them.

• edited May 2014
    Another question for clarification please. If you sat into a tournament for less than the £5.50 min....does that target tournament then count as part of your challenge?.....ie....play an AIPF sat for a £55 BH for £3? Best of the Best Details: - Only tournaments with a minimum buy-in of £5.50 and that were played between 1 st  - 31 st  May 2014 will count towards this promotion. - All tournament types are included except for satellites, freerolls and timed tournaments.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Don't know Alan, but I'll try & find out.

I'd have thought that the Satellite entry does not count as such - the T & C specifically states so - but you are deemed to be a "buy-in" at £55.

I'm just guessing though, so ignore that, & I'll try & find out, or if Sam is monitoring the thread, maybe he'll confirm.

Thanks for the mini-rail last night! I run good.