You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SCOOP6 CLUB ALL WELCOME TO JOIN FOR 17/5/2014

I am in for £60 again.  Money sent.

Comments

• edited May 2014

Hi all,

The Scoop 6 Club didn't win last week so we start again.

Here are the present members and their shares from last week. They will be deemed for payment middle of next week unless you advise on this thread you want to buy more/less or withdraw.

WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW MEMBERS SO PLEASE JOIN IF YOU WANT. 
    If you are interested post on here with number of shares you want by noon on Friday 16 May and I will pm you with bank account details so you can transfer the money into it on time. 

Shares are £5 each and you can have as many shares as you wish. Any winnings will be paid in line with your number of shares. ie 2 out of total of 100 shares you get 2% of winnings. 

I have set up a bank account and all cash must be transferred into this account by 6pm on Friday nights. This gives us enough time to find out how much we have to perm each week and make the selections and bet accordingly. 

One person will be in charge of the selections each week and they can take advice from other members or choose the horses on their own.

Father V

IN FOR 17/5/2014

This thread and table is the only place where confirmation of your position in the syndicate will be given and confirmed so if you haven't got your shares confirmed in the right hand column, sorry but you are not in.

IF YOUR NUMBER OF SHARES IS NOT INCLUDED IN RIGHT HAND COLUMN BY 18.00 ON ANY FRIDAY, YOU ARE NOT IN THE SYNDICATE FOR THAT WEEK.

Scoop6 Syndicate  NameNo. shares requestedAmount dueGivenA/c No.PaidNo. of shares Secured for 17/5/2014Vaigret4£20Yes£204Wynne19382£10Yes£102Joesman120£100Yes£10020Maxally4£20Yes£204Dohhhh2£10Yes£102Indieben11£55Yes£5511Bigshann12£60Yes£6012Larson71£5Yes£51Offshoot4£20Yes£204Ff55hh3£15No£153550131£5Yes£51The Dart8£40Yes£4081981Matt2£10Yes£102THEROCK57310£50Yes£5010Ukjoe8£40Yes£408Jinglema5£25Yes£255Nickd499312£10Yes£102Johnconnor2£10Yes£102Lengalang1£5Yes£51Shakinaces2£10Yes£102Brrrr1£5Yes£51A00rock3£15Yes£153Mysharky13£65Yes£6513Splashies2£10Yes£102Goldenballz2£10Yes£102Jbuss4£20Yes£204Kianalex2£10Yes£102Waller021<td width="80" valign="top" style="bord
  • edited May 2014
    Hi, can I make a couple of observations for this week, and I'm quite happy to be shot down in flames although I think they are valid points :)

Last week, the perm agreed upon ended with about £36 left over. Now I'm 100% in agreement that Terry should (and hopefully did) ensure he has recovered the costs he incurred in the first week for placing the bet(s) but I think anything else should be used each week and not left to rollover.

Why? Because by the nature of this syndicate, it won't comprise the same people every week so why should the following week's syndicate have a head start for the week after? I know I'm not going to be able to afford to join every week, and If say there was £20 or £30 left over from the panel's £486 perm or £512 perm etc, then I'd rather we did a perm like Dohhhhh's selection of 'Everything Green' or a selection of un-named favourites etc. to use that week's pot up.

I remember an old dear winning the Scoop 6 with £2 once with selections based solely on the names of the horses inc one named something like 'Big Cloud' because there were Big Clouds in the sky when she went to make the bet! On that basis a basic line based on nowt could just as easily win the mega-bucks.

My second point is that I think the selections should be overseen by someone in the group who is a regular (and successful) horse betting poster not just the biggest contributor to the pot. I agree they should be involved  but the final say? If I had a windfall and decided to put say £200 into a certain week's syndicate I know for a fact, that leaving major decisions to me would be a guarantee for a dodgy list of selections!
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Brrrr

As regards your first point I would agree we should try to spend all the money if we can but it is silly to have a perm where in one race we have four horses which we don't want stopping us from having three in a race which we do want. If there is anybody who doesn't want to take part this week who took part last week I am happy to refund % of the £21.00.

It really should be a question of picking the horses and then working the perm around them rather than other way round. However I would leave that to the majority view and to the people who are doing it each week. If they want to spend any left over pounds on smaller perms or split the perms then so be it. 

On your second point I am sure anybody who gets the chance to pick will do their best and a lot of hard work however much they put in because like you and me they want to win. What I would say is that there should be at least two people, but not more than 3, each week agreeing the perm and the selections. 

Indieben is already in the van for this weekend and hopefully we will have one or two volunteering to help him and I assume they will only volunteer if they are horsey people. It would be nice then when it is their turn to invite Indieben to be their helper.

Whatever is decided I will go along with and lets hope we can improve on Bigshann's effort of getting two winners and two places and also I have to wonder how many of our horsey people would have found the inspired Ballyglasheen.

I speak from experience though, THE BIGGEST DANGER IS TRYING TO CHANGE SOMEBODY'S HORSES BECAUSE YOU KNOW BETTER. I for one would never forgive myself for losing the bet because I though I knew best.

Just ask Neil about Trumpet Major, it had me ........... my pants

Father V 
    Facilitator
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: SCOOP6 CLUB ALL WELCOME TO JOIN FOR 17/5/2014:
    I am in for £60 again.  Money sent.
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    thanks mate and well done on your two winners and two places.

Surprised the place part paid £1200

and shows how hard this thing is to win 
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Brrrr As regards your first point I would agree we should try to spend all the money if we can but it is silly to have a perm where in one race we have four horses which we don't want stopping us from having three in a race which we do want. If there is anybody who doesn't want to take part this week who took part last week I am happy to refund % of the £21.00. It really should be a question of picking the horses and then working the perm around them rather than other way round. However I would leave that to the majority view and to the people who are doing it each week. If they want to spend any left over pounds on smaller perms or split the perms then so be it.  On your second point I am sure anybody who gets the chance to pick will do their best and a lot of hard work however much they put in because like you and me they want to win. What I would say is that there should be at least two people, but not more than 3, each week agreeing the perm and the selections.  Indieben is already in the van for this weekend and hopefully we will have one or two volunteering to help him and I assume they will only volunteer if they are horsey people. It would be nice then when it is their turn to invite Indieben to be their helper. Whatever is decided I will go along with and lets hope we can improve on Bigshann's effort of getting two winners and two places and also I have to wonder how many of our horsey people would have found the inspired Ballyglasheen. I speak from experience though, THE BIGGEST DANGER IS TRYING TO CHANGE SOMEBODY'S HORSES BECAUSE YOU KNOW BETTER. I for one would never forgive myself for losing the bet because I though I knew best. Just ask Neil about Trumpet Major, it had me ........... my pants Father V  Facilitator
    Posted by vaigret

Hi,

I agree entirely about sorting out the best perm for the horses you want in, rather than any other way. I was just suggesting that once that's done, let that week's panel pick another smaller perm perhaps with horses that nearly made the cut for the big perm.

As for the point I've highlighted in your response, I didn't doubt that for a second, and I apologise if my point came across that way, it wasn't my intention. :)

• edited May 2014
    Just to shed some light on the selections....

The odds of winning the 1st time we did this were around 1.6million to 1
    and this week 725k to 1

Its been mentioned that the blonde syndicate has 12x our bank and didnt get close.
    Harry Findlay has £300k and didn't win

This should be viewed as a pure punt for fun above all else (Even though I hate donating to the scummy bookies more than most things)

Out of interest, will we be continuing with this once the huge jackpot has been won??
    We would essentialy be running an inverse loyalty scheme from that point onwards.

I'd gladly offer to assist Indieben with selections though my input would be between the hours of 10am - 1pm only. 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: SCOOP6 CLUB ALL WELCOME TO JOIN FOR 17/5/2014 : Hi, I agree entirely about sorting out the best perm for the horses you want in, rather than any other way. I was just suggesting that once that's done, let that week's panel pick another smaller perm perhaps with horses that nearly made the cut for the big perm. As for the point I've highlighted in your response, I didn't doubt that for a second, and I apologise if my point came across that way, it wasn't my intention. :)
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    No need for apologies Pete and of course people who are given the task each week can do whnt they want and I am sure they will take in everybodies comments. However when it comes down to Friday night Saturday morning it is difficult to try and cover every angle.

When we were first discussing this there was a number of ways we could go 

1. Everybody in the syndicate who wanted to could give a selection for each race and then the horses chosen by the most could be looked at a perm put together. that's how some syndicates who can meet somewhere on a Friday night /Saturday morning do it. We cant really have a discussion like that and it would be a logistical nightmare.

2. We could have an expert/two experts pick the horses and the rest of us back there judgement with our money. I didn't want to be involved in a syndicate like that as I wanted to have a chance of a pick but not to be seen as one of those "experts"

3. We could go the way we have but I have seen from the first two weeks that I am quasi acting as an "expert" which brings to much pressure. 

That is why I thing Maxally's comment of a panel of one(or two) different people each week helping the chosen one is the best way forward. It gives more people the chance to be involved if they want and gives a sounding board to the person concerned. 

I hope indieben takes any offer or two from any volunteer this week and they can work the oracle for us.

It is hellishly difficult but bloody good fun to dream as well.

• edited May 2014
    Only a thought. What if we split into 6 teams to concentrate on one race each.This would allow more time to focus on one race only.This wouldnt mean that if someone has a strong fancy for another race their opinion wouldnt be taken on board. And obviously the picker has the final say.
    Anybody have thoughts on this?
  • edited May 2014
    Just to shed some light on the selections.... The odds of winning the 1st time we did this were around 1.6million to 1 and this week 725k to 1 Its been mentioned that the blonde syndicate has 12x our bank and didnt get close. Harry Findlay has £300k and didn't win This should be viewed as a pure punt for fun above all else (Even though I hate donating to the scummy bookies more than most things) **************************** Out of interest, will we be continuing with this once the huge jackpot has been won?? We would essentialy be running an inverse loyalty scheme from that point onwards. **************************** I'd gladly offer to assist Indieben with selections though my input would be between the hours of 10am - 1pm only. 
    Posted by ff55hh

thanks ff and hopefully indieben will be able to take your kind offer.

I don't understand your comment about an inverse loyalty scheme but I would certainly like to continue after this big jackpot has been won and quite happily remain as the focus. Ok like others I don't know whether I would continue with my present £20 as this is over my limit for these kind of bets normally and others might leave but it would be nice to keep this going for the future. 

My betting is all about value and I dislike win accumulators but at mo there is value for my £20.

Father V  
  • edited May 2014
    We could also have 6 discussions for.One for each race
  • edited May 2014
    Only a thought. What if we split into 6 teams to concentrate on one race each.This would allow more time to focus on one race only.This wouldnt mean that if someone has a strong fancy for another race their opinion wouldnt be taken on board. And obviously the picker has the final say. Anybody have thoughts on this?
    Posted by Ukjoe

Hi joe

I think this could be logistically very hard but if the syndicate thinks best way forward I wouldn't argue
  • edited May 2014
    I would like us to carry on with this syndicate after the big one has been won.
    I find it good value.
    You could have a list of volunteers who want to make the selections each week and then take it in turn.
    Some may not want to,as they make lack the knowledge,thats fine,some may want to even if they lack the knowledge,thats fine to!

• edited May 2014
    Vaigret, what one advantage would be -teams could concentrate  on videos of past performances (I know this is  only one angle but can be helpful) of one race only rather than say all runners in 6 races
  • edited May 2014
    Vaigret, what one advantage would be -teams could concentrate  on videos of past performances (I know this is  only one angle but can be helpful) of one race only rather than say all runners in 6 races
    Posted by Ukjoe

It sounds like a good idea, but like Vaigret said, could be a logisitcal nightmare!
  • edited May 2014
    why not just find winning tipters and copy them, then add 1/2 of your own if required? 

Save all the stress and have just as good if not a better chance. 

I'm in again thi week but dropping to £10 if that's alright? Will send tomorrow am. 
  • edited May 2014
    Can anyone explain the so called logistical nightmare?
    I see it as a simple process
  • edited May 2014
    I don't understand your comment about an inverse loyalty scheme 
    Posted by vaigret
    I just mean that the prize will be decreasing over time.

You'd proably get paid out more on a  straight 6-fold on the 1st week, if you factored in that 50% of scoop 6 expenditure is for the placepot.
  • edited May 2014
    Ok Joe

We would have to get six teams together rather than one.

Those six teams would have to log into another person/team to put the bet together.

Teams looking at each race might be only able to whittle their down to four horse they really fancy. So might other teams , we cant afford many four selection races.

Ok they could rate them but then who would pick which team had priority over another .
    Who would pick the perm, the coordinating person/team would have to go through so much and discuss with so many people what the perm would be it would be a logistical nightmare.

I can just see the situation where the final team says we will leave race one teams fourth rated horse out and put in team fives and sixes instead. Oh dear team ones fourth rated horse wins and we go down because we didn't put it in.

What were the team who was coordinating it doing people will ask we gave them the winner and they ignored us after all that work. 

I could go on but sorry I haven't got the time .

Father V 
  • edited May 2014
    why not just find winning tipters and copy them, then add 1/2 of your own if required?  Save all the stress and have just as good if not a better chance.  I'm in again thi week but dropping to £10 if that's alright? Will send tomorrow am. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No problem Dohhhh, however much you want.

Just a comment on your suggestion.

On Saturday in the Sporting Life Naps table, the so called experts got one winning nap between them

that was Gatewood

A perennial loser who had one of his few good days on the track.

Having said that it really should be down to the person who picks our perms to decide what advice they take and if they want to do it that way I wouldn't argue.
  • edited May 2014
    I think I need to lay down what I think my role is in this.

I am merely the facilitator in what I hope will be a successful club.

My experience of the first two weeks is that all I should do is:-

Get a post up on here inviting people to join.

2. get the account details to them and then try and make sure they get the money in. Send them a reminder.

3. Take the views of the syndicate and advise the syndicate my feelings on ideas just like any other member should be able to do.

4. If the syndicate take a majority view to go a certain way. To facilitate that.

5. advise the syndicate by Friday evening how much was in the account to spend.

At the moment I thought from people we had broad agreement that the priority list of volunteers was based on the amount they had put in and if they wanted to they would pick the horses and perm with

a.another person or two people  
    b. thay would take into account comments on the thread when doing this 
    c they would tell me how much to bet and in what way on the Saturday morning.   

That's all I want to do no more no less.(until of course it is my turn)  

I just want this club to succeed and for me to help in as small a way as possible into the picking of the horses and the perm.

I should be no more or no less than any other club member.

Father V
  • edited May 2014
    Dohhhhhh,

An amalgamation of published tips is highly unlikely to yield a unique selection as others will have thought of it too.

Whilst any win would be nice, its even better not to share the dividend with others :-p

The only value here is that  a unique win pays far more than the bet is worth. That value is lost with your idea and also the 'un-named favourites' idea.

However, all the horse racing knowledge in the UK hasn't been of much use in recent weeks and we're basically forming a committee to correctly pick winning lottery numbers. Unlike with the lottery, we're getting the right price to do it for now...
  • edited May 2014
    il be back in this week mate for £50, got car back, be going bank thursday.

my two pence for what its worth is id just stick with one person picking the horses and talking it threw with vaigret before placing bet, theres no point everyone getting stressed and thinking of different selction tactics, i dont care who picks or what they pick, i dont expect to win but its good fun trying, with some of the results that happen on a saturday afternoon theres as much chance that a person who knows nothing about racing will have as much chance as someone who is clued up on all the form etc so i dont think we need to good to much in depth about the picking of the horses, not to many chiefs but plenty of indians bumping our prizepool is all thats needed and hope lady luck smiles down on us all!!!
  • edited May 2014
    I'd call myself a recreational punter.

These days I don't follow the horses religiously, but when I do have a bet, I will only do so if I have the time to read the form and use my interpretation of form and conditions to at least give myself a sporting chance or the knowledge I knew why I backed what I did.

When this syndicate was formed, I was aware that there would probably be a cross section of members from those that read the racing pages every day and have a bet every day, to the weekend punter and then the more recreational 'mug punters' like myself.

I thought the selection process would be simply, every member would take their turn to pick the selections and since this is a forum syndicate, each week I imagined all members would have the opportunity to contribute further if they had a particularly strong fancy that week.

I didn't care if it was the turn of Vaigret, Wynne, UKJoe, Joesman1, etc. who may well have a wealth of up to date knowledge and in some cases be 'in the know', or if when it was Dohhhhhhhh's turn and he decided to have a cup of tea with his Nan and go with the horses wearing his Nan's favorite colours, birthday numbers, or sharing the name of her cat or budgie, or if for that matter someone decided to take the tips from the tipsters in the racing papers.

For me seeing how each member approached the selection process and their subsequent results was part of the fun of being in a syndicate. 

I didn't feel by joining this syndicate, I would be riding on the back of someone else's superior knowledge and equally I wouldn't be miffed if some weeks our horses were picked by colours, names, or a good old pin!

I didn't care how the horses were selected, just as long as everyone had an equal chance to take their turn on a roster to make their selections in any way they seem fit.

I was / am in it for a bit of fun.

Reading through the recent posts, it feels like this syndicate is taking a different direction and to be fair to those that might want to take this more seriously than myself, I will declare now I'm neither interested nor have the time to be part of a syndicate that wants to form committees, Friday / Saturday online / phone chats to work out collaborative strategies, review videos etc.

Whether I'm part of it or not I will be wishing the syndicate the best of luck every week.

Just for the record, there's no way I'm quitting before the jackpot has been won :-)

• edited May 2014
    my two pence for what its worth is id just stick with one person picking the horses and talking it threw with vaigret before placing bet, theres no point everyone getting stressed and thinking of different selction tactics, i dont care who picks or what they pick, i dont expect to win but its good fun trying, with some of the results that happen on a saturday afternoon theres as much chance that a person who knows nothing about racing will have as much chance as someone who is clued up on all the form etc so i dont think we need to good to much in depth about the picking of the horses, not to many chiefs but plenty of indians bumping our prizepool is all thats needed and hope lady luck smiles down on us all!!!

+1

money for this week sent father.....gl all
  • edited May 2014
    I'd call myself a recreational punter. These days I don't follow the horses religiously, but when I do have a bet, I will only do so if I have the time to read the form and use my interpretation of form and conditions to at least give myself a sporting chance or the knowledge I knew why I backed what I did. When this syndicate was formed, I was aware that there would probably be a cross section of members from those that read the racing pages every day and have a bet every day, to the weekend punter and then the more recreational 'mug punters' like myself. I thought the selection process would be simply, every member would take their turn to pick the selections and since this is a forum syndicate, each week I imagined all members would have the opportunity to contribute further if they had a particularly strong fancy that week. I didn't care if it was the turn of Vaigret, Wynne, UKJoe, Joesman1, etc. who may well have a wealth of up to date knowledge and in some cases be 'in the know', or if when it was Dohhhhhhhh's turn and he decided to have a cup of tea with his Nan and go with the horses wearing his Nan's favorite colours, birthday numbers, or sharing the name of her cat or budgie, or if for that matter someone decided to take the tips from the tipsters in the racing papers. For me seeing how each member approached the selection process and their subsequent results was part of the fun of being in a syndicate.  I didn't feel by joining this syndicate, I would be riding on the back of someone else's superior knowledge and equally I wouldn't be miffed if some weeks our horses were picked by colours, names, or a good old pin! I didn't care how the horses were selected, just as long as everyone had an equal chance to take their turn on a roster to make their selections in any way they seem fit. I was / am in it for a bit of fun. Reading through the recent posts, it feels like this syndicate is taking a different direction and to be fair to those that might want to take this more seriously than myself, I will declare now I'm neither interested nor have the time to be part of a syndicate that wants to form committees, Friday / Saturday online / phone chats to work out collaborative strategies, review videos etc. Whether I'm part of it or not I will be wishing the syndicate the best of luck every week. Just for the record, there's no way I'm quitting before the jackpot has been won :-)
    Posted by TheDart

Having read through all the posts....

A) I think my earlier post on this thread might have contributed to the disharmony (so my apologies)

B) That Darts post above is spot-on. It should be fun, no-one falling out and if we win, great!

C) And like Dart, I don't intend to quit before that jackpot is ours! :)

• edited May 2014
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

Its indiebens turn this week and I for one will do anything he tells me to do.

However this week especially I would like him and whoever he gets to help , if he does, to advise me of the horses and the perm Saturday morning in one go. 

I have a family funeral coming up and my son and grandson are coming on Friday to stay for the weekend.

Now lets bash those bookie fella's 

Father V
  • edited May 2014
    Hi folks,

just reading through all the posts. 

I'm quite happy for any input from regular punters on this. Not sure the point in the 6 teams, do we even have enough people to make 6 teams? i'd be more inclined to set up a skype/facebook group with regular horse punters to discuss it and make informed selections. 

the one thing i'd like to add, i've been speaking to peopel in my poker group in Glasgow and they have an interest in setting up a syndicate to take a stab at this weeks jackpot. the long and short of it is we have 500 in the kitty already and I have suggested that we double up efforts with this forum to give us a bigger perm and a better chance of winning? obviously its going to dilute percentages for everyone. Regardless i'm in this pot and happy to select this week, i'm merely going to be sticking the money in with the other guys

So let me know your thoughts?

• edited May 2014
    Hi folks, just reading through all the posts.  I'm quite happy for any input from regular punters on this. Not sure the point in the 6 teams, do we even have enough people to make 6 teams? i'd be more inclined to set up a skype/facebook group with regular horse punters to discuss it and make informed selections.  the one thing i'd like to add, i've been speaking to peopel in my poker group in Glasgow and they have an interest in setting up a syndicate to take a stab at this weeks jackpot. the long and short of it is we have 500 in the kitty already and I have suggested that we double up efforts with this forum to give us a bigger perm and a better chance of winning? obviously its going to dilute percentages for everyone. Regardless i'm in this pot and happy to select this week, i'm merely going to be sticking the money in with the other guys So let me know your thoughts?
    Posted by indieben

My share in this syndicate will be only worth 1% at best so do I want it diluting even further....no!

But if thats what everyone else wants then, as such a minor player, I'll obviously have no choice anyway :)
  • edited May 2014
    Guys, you could literally pick the names out of a hat and it wouldnt make a difference. If this was about how much knowledge you have then there would 100's of people winning it every week.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi folks, just reading through all the posts.  I'm quite happy for any input from regular punters on this. Not sure the point in the 6 teams, do we even have enough people to make 6 teams? i'd be more inclined to set up a skype/facebook group with regular horse punters to discuss it and make informed selections.  the one thing i'd like to add, i've been speaking to peopel in my poker group in Glasgow and they have an interest in setting up a syndicate to take a stab at this weeks jackpot. the long and short of it is we have 500 in the kitty already and I have suggested that we double up efforts with this forum to give us a bigger perm and a better chance of winning? obviously its going to dilute percentages for everyone. Regardless i'm in this pot and happy to select this week, i'm merely going to be sticking the money in with the other guys So let me know your thoughts?
    Posted by indieben
    You are not doing anything different to me indieben.

I am in this syndicate, another one and doing a couple of other lines with my family.

I would suggest you use all the info you can gain or pull the names out of the hat . If our selections are similar to your other syndicate because of knowledge you have so be it but I would rather this syndicate won it on our own.

It also gives you more chance to win it if you have your eggs in different baskets as I am sure lots of us will do.

Father V