You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Saturday nights on Sky Poker

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi Everyone,

We are making a change to our Saturday night schedule. The Primo is taking a rest for the summer. Don't worry it will be back later in the year, but for now it is over to you to select the Saturday night main. 

A lot of you have had some good ideas on the Saturday night main event so let us know by voting below what you would like to see. There are three options to choose from this week and the winning tournament will take place at 8pm on Saturday night.

We are going to repeat this vote in future weeks with some different options in there so if your choice does not win this week it doesn't mean it won't in future weeks. Equally if you have ideas for a tournament that you would like to see in the voting please feel free to leave them below.

But for week one your 3 choices are below, all options are a £33 buy in with an £8000 guaranteed prize pool

Option 1 - Turbo Freezeout (6 max). 3000 starting stack, 7 minute blinds. This is similar to the Tuesday night format but with more levels.

Option 2 - Deepstack Freezeout (6 max) - 6000 starting stack, 12 minute blinds 

Option 3 - Full ring freezeout (9 max) - 3000 starting stack, 12 minute blinds

Voting will close Friday morning at 8am.

Get voting!

Comments

• edited June 2014

I've voted Turbo for selfish reasons.

Saturday night is my only chance of the week to play in a Main Event. Even then it's not easy because I've been up since 12-15am and feel very tired come the evening. Therefore something that finishes early would suit me best.

I hope the Deepstack doesn't win. Deepstacks (like Omaha tournaments) are one of those things that often get asked for on the forum, but when Sky put them on not many turn up. It would probably end up in the same vicious circle as the Saturday Primo; ie decreasing fields create overlay, overlay forces Sky to drop the guarantee, the lower guarantee means the field gets even smaller, etc, etc.

Funnily enough I can't play this week whatever wins, I'm going to a barbebcue!

• edited June 2014
    I VOTE GET THE PRIMO BACK
  • edited June 2014
    I voted for turbo without really thinking about it. I like the idea of a full ring game now.

As above, anything but a deepstack. But that will win easily on this forum.

Think Sky should make the decision themselves, just look at how deepstacks have performed in the past. You must have records. Shouldn't even be on the list.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker:
    I voted for turbo without really thinking about it. I like the idea of a full ring game now. As above, anything but a deepstack. But that will win easily on this forum. Think Sky should make the decision themselves, just look at how deepstacks have performed in the past. You must have records. Shouldn't even be on the list.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Wow, for once I agree with what this fish says!

People keep asking for deepstack MTTs but then they don't get the numbers. It would be great if it met the guarantee but I cant see that happening.
  • edited June 2014
    I VOTE GET THE PRIMO BACK
    Posted by TONY509

Big +1 to this! is the primo underperforming or something? think its quite ludacris to even think about replacing the primo with a turbo which has the same prizepool, I understand tuesdays main performs well but I think this has a lot to do with the buy in being so cheap, no chance of getting another rebuy on the site? surely this is better than any of the other options!
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : Big +1 to this! is the primo underperforming or something? think its quite ludacris to even think about replacing the primo with a turbo which has the same prizepool, I understand tuesdays main performs well but I think this has a lot to do with the buy in being so cheap, no chance of getting another rebuy on the site? surely this is better than any of the other options!
    Posted by K8LOU
    'Underperforming' would be a big understatement.

There's been overlay every week in the Primo every week for at least a couple of months, despite a 20% reduction in the guarantee during that time. More hidden overlay in many of the the all-in sats too.

There were only 133 runners last Saturday, a new all-time low for a tournament that used to get over 500 every week when it ran on Sundays, and that was before all-in sats and late-reg were available on Sky.
  • edited June 2014
    Gotta be the 9 max... 
  • edited June 2014
    I think next week the main should be a turbo with Eng V Italy on at 11pm. 
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by splashies

Didint think of that.. agree
  • edited June 2014
    I only play if I can sat in but a 9 max with antes would be good.
  • edited June 2014
    £2.20 @2.20 deepstack
  • edited June 2014
    pffffffttttttt. what a pile of plop. grow some kahoonahs and put the primo on at 7.00 on a sunday as a non main event tournament.
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by splashies
    Big fat +1
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : Wow, for once I agree with what this fish says! People keep asking for deepstack MTTs but then they don't get the numbers. It would be great if it met the guarantee but I cant see that happening.
    Posted by MattBates
    Dohhhhhhh and Matt Bates Have a look at the figures for the Megastack. I am 100% certain that Fridays Mega has bust it's guarantee EVERY WEEK without fail. And I'm 99% certain that the same applies to the Wednesday and Monday ones too. Dohhhhhhhh we get it you say it often enough but we're not all fans of turbos and you obviously won't be happy until all deepstacks are removed from the schedule. A full ring freezeout is an interesting idea but I'm torn between 2.
  • edited June 2014
    A mate of mine posted this elsewhere, not sure if it's 'allowed' for me to repost it for him, but the input is important to this thread imo so I will and if it's deemed wrong then someone can delete it...

"Antes - think a lot of people found the Primo boring because the lack of antes encourages so little action. Same applies to the vast majority of freezeouts on the Sky tournament schedule.

There's a reason BHs are so popular on Sky, and that trend isn'
    t the same across all sites - Bounties promote action, therefore creating the excitement for a lot of recreational players that is missing from regular freezeouts because of no antes. 

Same logic applies to Turbo Tuesday - being a Turbo forces action and makes the games exciting where other tournaments fail to do so because of less action created because of no antes.

- EvilPingu."

The solution isn't to change the structure imo, it's to add antes for the above reasons and to implement a better satellite structure. 

I think there should be 'steps' style SnG satellites running/available to run NON STOP, 24hr per day.

They'll all be SnGs so zero risk of overlay from Sky's POV and every single one that runs is...

1) more rake for Sky
    2) more seats into X event than they're currently getting without them.

For this to work, Sky need to start giving tournament tokens from satellites instead of just regging you (or giving you cash if you're regged). People won't be able to play sats for cash anymore but alot of people that do that are proper grinders so will deffo end up using the tokens anyway so it's essentially the same as getting the cash.

Obviously you'd set a fair but sensible time limit on the token, so maybe you have to use it within 30 days.

So many positives to this idea and as far as I can see, literally ZERO negatives...

1) People (like me) that can't play around the 2pm - 7pm period miss virtually every satellite that runs on the site. I often want to play satellites but there are very few available when I'm logged in. So the SnGs mean you can play a satellite ANY TIME you want.

2) They're SnGs, so no risk of overlay, so zero risk to Sky even if they're a complete flop (which I very much doubt would happen)

3) Some people want to play X event but can't play a satellite on that day. For instance, I prefer to satellite into the £55 Primo really and wouldn't regularly BI direct, but I will never be able to satellite in because I don't play Saturday day times because I spend the time with the kids/family etc. If I could play a satellite on Friday night (or any night of the week) instead, then I'd do that, and have thus satellited in the day before hand because I can't do it on the day.

The above might sound kinda like it's all about me, but I play on the site ALOT and these are just a few restraints I face, I'm sure people who have much less available time to play will be facing far more obstacles when it comes to them trying to satellite in.

In short, it just offers way more flexibility to the players, lets people satellite in from much smaller amounts and try as much as they want, any time they want, so imo would hugely boost numbers all over the site.

I have another point to make (although a few regs won't like it lol) about the BIs for mains being too big imo for the site as it is, but I'll save that for another post later.
  • edited June 2014
    Voted turbo and it's not even close imo.

All other sites have full ring tournaments, I still prefer this site as a 6max exclusive.  Saturdays are a funny night and a nightmare to maintain a well structured tourney with a decent prizepool on a UK centric site, just so many sports events headline a Saturday afternoon/evening and pubs are fun.  Turbo would work out of the options.

As for the Primo, if I was master of the rolls here I would move that back to Sunday 8pm, move the Roller forward an hour to a 7pm start, return it to a 10k GTD and push that as much as the Roller. 
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by splashies
    The England games will definitely be taken into account when looking at the tournament schedules over the next few weeks. 
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : Dohhhhhhh and Matt Bates Have a look at the figures for the Megastack. I am 100% certain that Fridays Mega has bust it's guarantee EVERY WEEK without fail. And I'm 99% certain that the same applies to the Wednesday and Monday ones too. Dohhhhhhhh we get it you say it often enough but we're not all fans of turbos and you obviously won't be happy until all deepstacks are removed from the schedule. A full ring freezeout is an interesting idea but I'm torn between 2.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Should we look at the figures for the daily £22deep? You know the one that is only on a couple of days a week now because of continuous overlay. I played it fairly regularly so I don't have an issue with deepstack MTTs, I do have an issue with overlay!
  • edited June 2014
    Some people dont mind missing the england game lol

Why not have a full ring bh, with turbo blinds. Best if everything.

Im not big on all the technical sides of things and reasoning if it can work or not but sounds fun.

With antes too. :) 
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : Should we look at the figures for the daily £22deep? You know the one that is only on a couple of days a week now because of continuous overlay. I played it fairly regularly so I don't have an issue with deepstack MTTs, I do have an issue with overlay!
    Posted by MattBates

With all due respect, the poster was stating facts about a lower buy in deepstack that continually makes its guarantee. The deepstack that you have named came from the request from the higher BR players wanting a deepstack. The megastack, and afaik, the 8.15 deepstack (both £5.50 BI) are WELL supported by the micro players.
  • edited June 2014
    A mate of mine posted this elsewhere, not sure if it's 'allowed' for me to repost it for him, but the input is important to this thread imo so I will and if it's deemed wrong then someone can delete it... " Antes - think a lot of people found the Primo boring because the lack of antes encourages so little action. Same applies to the vast majority of freezeouts on the Sky tournament schedule. There's a reason BHs are so popular on Sky, and that trend isn' t the same across all sites - Bounties promote action, therefore creating the excitement for a lot of recreational players that is missing from regular freezeouts because of no antes.  Same logic applies to Turbo Tuesday - being a Turbo forces action and makes the games exciting where other tournaments fail to do so because of less action created because of no antes. - EvilPingu." The solution isn't to change the structure imo, it's to add antes for the above reasons and to implement a better satellite structure.  I think there should be 'steps' style SnG satellites running/available to run NON STOP, 24hr per day. They'll all be SnGs so zero risk of overlay from Sky's POV and every single one that runs is... 1) more rake for Sky 2) more seats into X event than they're currently getting without them. For this to work, Sky need to start giving tournament tokens from satellites instead of just regging you (or giving you cash if you're regged). People won't be able to play sats for cash anymore but alot of people that do that are proper grinders so will deffo end up using the tokens anyway so it's essentially the same as getting the cash. Obviously you'd set a fair but sensible time limit on the token, so maybe you have to use it within 30 days. So many positives to this idea and as far as I can see, literally ZERO negatives... 1) People (like me) that can't play around the 2pm - 7pm period miss virtually every satellite that runs on the site. I often want to play satellites but there are very few available when I'm logged in. So the SnGs mean you can play a satellite ANY TIME you want. 2) They're SnGs, so no risk of overlay, so zero risk to Sky even if they're a complete flop (which I very much doubt would happen) 3) Some people want to play X event but can't play a satellite on that day. For instance, I prefer to satellite into the £55 Primo really and wouldn't regularly BI direct, but I will never be able to satellite in because I don't play Saturday day times because I spend the time with the kids/family etc. If I could play a satellite on Friday night (or any night of the week) instead, then I'd do that, and have thus satellited in the day before hand because I can't do it on the day. The above might sound kinda like it's all about me, but I play on the site ALOT and these are just a few restraints I face, I'm sure people who have much less available time to play will be facing far more obstacles when it comes to  them trying to satellite in. In short, it just offers way more flexibility to the players, lets people satellite in from much smaller amounts and try as much as they want, any time they want, so imo would hugely boost numbers all over the site. I have another point to make (although a few regs won't like it lol) about the BIs for mains being too big imo for the site as it is, but I'll save that for another post later.
    Posted by Lambert180
    TLDR but sick, I have a friend brag!
  • edited June 2014
    I love Paul's post. So much sense and it is a shame that when Sky do listen to a lot of feedback, this always seems to get ignored. Most people want antes but I don't think every tournament needs them, like BH's. Antes in freeze outs would definately get more people involved. 

I would also love to play sats but a lot are on when I can't play and a lot enter you in during late reg when I want to be in from start. By doing the SNG version with tokens it opens up so many more options for players and you can do so many different versions. EG. 1 token can be equal to £1 buyin and you can accumulate these. So a lower stakes player can enter a £1 SNG and win 6 tokens or a mid stakes can play a £5 SNG and win £30 worth of tokens, etc.  You can use these to buyin to any tournament. 

Edit: Wish main events would start earlier. 
  • edited June 2014
    +1 with most of Lamberts post. The only thing I disagree with is the BI being too much! They are fine as it is - they have mini main events for a reason to accomodate those for a smaller bankroll. Not only that but they have a variety of different BI's over the week.

I voted for the deepstack but regret doing that now. As much as I like a deepstack, we have the Super Roller on Sunday and that's fine enough by me. 9 max initially sounded interesting but it just cannot work without antes. I also prefer sky being 6 max. Turbo's are kind of fun and I never usually get to play Tuesday night's so I think another Turbo would be good. Don't know about the BI... I think £22 or £33 would be best. 

As for Primo I'm not a fan of moving it back to Sunday.Love the Super Roller too much!

edit: Going back to ante's I'm not sure how much they are needed. 9 max - definitely, but 6 max not so much. The blinds already go around quickly enough that if people aren't getting involved their stacks are going to dwindle. I think ante's would just promote a shove fest much earlier.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : Dohhhhhhh and Matt Bates Have a look at the figures for the Megastack. I am 100% certain that Fridays Mega has bust it's guarantee EVERY WEEK without fail. And I'm 99% certain that the same applies to the Wednesday and Monday ones too. Dohhhhhhhh we get it you say it often enough but we're not all fans of turbos and you obviously won't be happy until all deepstacks are removed from the schedule. A full ring freezeout is an interesting idea but I'm torn between 2.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Not all.

The micro ones do ok, anything above £5 buy in doesn't.

All 3 options in the opening post have a £33 buy in so using the success of £2 and £5 deep/megastacks isn't really relevant.

The performances of the £22 deepstack, the £55 primo and the old £33 'doublestack main' are much more significant when making this decision.

-----------------

It's really obvious how this thread will go unless Sky use some initiative and make a decision themselves.

1) The deepstack will win the vote comfortably.

2) The 'new' deepstack will go on to be a huge fail and taken off the schedule within a month.

Option B is basically the primo as it is now, with 3,000 extra chips.
  • edited June 2014

Turbo would be a good fun idea for the summer.

If the buy in was lowered, it would get a good number of players particpating. Like 400 plus i would say.

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : With all due respect, the poster was stating facts about a lower buy in deepstack that continually makes its guarantee. The deepstack that you have named came from the request from the higher BR players wanting a deepstack. The megastack, and afaik, the 8.15 deepstack (both £5.50 BI) are WELL supported by the micro players.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    That's exactly the problem though. They are supported well by micro players because the BIs are small, but this is a discussion about a £33 main event.

Tbh, that option shouldn't even be in there imo. Discussing replacing a failing slow deepstack game with another slow deepstack game.... just makes no sense. The only difference being the BI, if that's genuinely gonig to make a big difference then just keep it as the Primo and drop the BI to £33 (like it used to be) but I don't think that'll fix the problem 

• edited June 2014
    +1 with most of Lamberts post. The only thing I disagree with is the BI being too much! They are fine as it is - they have mini main events for a reason to accomodate those for a smaller bankroll. Not only that but they have a variety of different BI's over the week. I voted for the deepstack but regret doing that now. As much as I like a deepstack, we have the Super Roller on Sunday and that's fine enough by me. 9 max initially sounded interesting but it just cannot work without antes. I also prefer sky being 6 max. Turbo's are kind of fun and I never usually get to play Tuesday night's so I think another Turbo would be good. Don't know about the BI... I think £22 or £33 would be best.  As for Primo I'm not a fan of moving it back to Sunday.Love the Super Roller too much!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    The reason behind this is partly down to the satellite issue.

To have regular MTTs at £33/£55/£110 BIs, they need a strong player base of people that are willing/happy to BI direct to those events.

How many players on here are regs when it comes to playing mains AND will BI direct (obv we aint counting some high stakes cash players that could easy afford it but don't play MTTs) to these games? How many dya think regularly BI every time to these £55+ events?  50 people maybe, 100 at a real push, across the entire site?

That means there's a huge reliance on satellites to meet guarantees and as it is, the satellite setup isnt very good which is why there's overlay in mains, or the overlay is outsourced to things like all-in sats which have overlay a lot of the time.

There's a reason that Turbo Tuesday has a HUGE field every week, cos recs can afford to take a punt for £11. Recs don't want to punt for £110, spent 4 hours playing a freezeout, bust at 00:30 and have not even made the money.
  • edited June 2014
    voted turbo, purley because of the england match.

I would LOVE to see something with antes next time.

a rebuy with antes or bounty hunter with antes & 4k starting stack would get my vote

• edited June 2014
    it's  saturday night, i want action & i want it fast,

a £22 turbo BH, 1 re-buy, with 3k stacks would most def enhance my evening.

i also like tommys idea of a sunday 8pm primo with the roller starting an hour earlier...would def elevate the sunday grind schedule