You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Saturday nights on Sky Poker

13»

Comments

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker:
    I think next week the main should be a turbo with Eng V Italy on at 11pm. 
    Posted by splashies
    This is a very good point!
  • edited June 2014
    How about run all 3 on separate Saturdays.  Which ever gets the most runners stays on for the month then we can repeat with 3 other tourny ideas?
  • edited June 2014
    Turbo with 1 re-buy please, infact just bring back the old Thews at Ten format, that was a great tournament, sure it would attract good numbers as an 8pm Main Event.

Also very much like Tommy's suggestion of 2 Sunday night events with the Roller starting at 7pm and Primo at 8pm.

And another vote for steps style sng satellites and tournament tokens please.
  • edited June 2014
    I think the answer is clear a full ring turbo deepstack lol.
  • edited June 2014
    I think the answer is clear a full ring turbo deepstack lol.
    Posted by a00rock
    with 1 rebuy ;)
  • edited June 2014
    Turbo with rebuy would get my vote
  • edited June 2014
    An £11 turbo, rebuy, bounty hunter (maximum 2 rebuys) would get my attention on a Saturday night

Interest for every bankroll
    60p all in sats for micro players 2 rebuys for majors players  loads of money from start to finish!
    but then again, what do I know about what people want?
    I'm a dreamer lol
  • edited June 2014
    £22 turbo for me!

I imagine most sat night recs are just out for a reasonably light hearted game that doesnt take all night. Turbo ticks all those boxes and a £22 buy in also doesnt cost the world. 

Deepstack has to be a big no no and agree with tommy sky's niche is 6 max and so that rules out the 9 max.

If you wanted to give it a twist make it unique - play around with the payout structure. Make top prize more juicy and reduce number who get paid i.e. top 30 only or something. 30-50 usually only get the buy in back anyway. 

£22 10k guaranteed with 4k top prize. (go 8k and 3k if wanted to play it safe)

• edited June 2014
    I'm surprised there is even a debate about antes.

Sky is the only poker site online that doesn't use them.

I'm certain the other sites have it right and Sky wrong, rather than the other way round. Do the people in charge not agree? Why is Sky any different, what do you know that the boss at Pokerstars doesn't?

Its apparently really easy to add new things into the new software so there aren't any excuses anymore? At least trial it.

Should've been put in a long time ago.

Antes on the cash tables would help improve the games too.
  • edited June 2014
    Either an £11 turbo rebuy or £22-£33 turbo BH would work. 
    Also the SNG steps idea should work as long as they are advertised well so players know how they work and where to find them etc. would clear up the rather messy sat system.  
  • edited June 2014
    I'm surprised there is even a debate about antes. Sky is the only poker site online that doesn't use them. I'm certain the other sites have it right and Sky wrong, rather than the other way round. Do the people in charge not agree? Why is Sky any different, what do you know that the boss at Pokerstars doesn't? Its apparently really easy to add new things into the new software so there aren't any excuses anymore? At least trial it. Should've been put in a long time ago. Antes on the cash tables would help improve the games too.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    As I posted earlier, most sites are 9 max whereas sky is 6 max. 9 max and ante's are definitely needed because of how long the blinds take to come around. 6 max and ante's aren't so essential as the blinds come round quick enough as it is. 

Also I feel with ante's the game would become a shove fest much earlier. 15bbs without ante's is still a playable stack size but with ante's there is often so much in the middle that shoving pre is +ev enough to make it the best play.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : As I posted earlier, most sites are 9 max whereas sky is 6 max. 9 max and ante's are definitely needed because of how long the blinds take to come around. 6 max and ante's aren't so essential as the blinds come round quick enough as it is.  Also I feel with ante's the game would become a shove fest much earlier. 15bbs without ante's is still a playable stack size but with ante's there is often so much in the middle that shoving pre is +ev enough to make it the best play.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I could name 2/3 sites that have antes across their full range of full ring, 6 max and 4 max games. 

WE NEED ANTE'S!!!!!
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : As I posted earlier, most sites are 9 max whereas sky is 6 max. 9 max and ante's are definitely needed because of how long the blinds take to come around. 6 max and ante's aren't so essential as the blinds come round quick enough as it is.  Also I feel with ante's the game would become a shove fest much earlier. 15bbs without ante's is still a playable stack size but with ante's there is often so much in the middle that shoving pre is +ev enough to make it the best play.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Stars seem to think it's a positive cos they have antes in every 6max game, and every 4max game too afaik. Pretty sure every site is the same.

Hate saying this cos you give sick analysis and I respect your game but the bolded bit just shows a lack of understanding of the impact antes have imo. They will force shorties to GII earlier, and will stop people folding down to 4-5xBB (although I'm sure some people still will/would), but the fact this forces action will generally lead to the game playing deeper. There aren't so many micro stacks, people either chip up or bust and average stacks get deeper which leads to deeper stacks in the end game/FT which is obv the most important stage.

Fwiw, I agree with Ryan that introducing antes isn't gonna instantly make numbers shoot up, but antes is more of a long term improvement to get numbers up.

At the end of the day, when you get down to the basics, there are only 2 ways to increase the field sizes of the games in question...

1) Attract more regs that are happy BI'ing direct for £55+ on a regular basis
    2) Get more satellite qualifiers

The steps style SnGs will go a long way to helping with number 2 imo (and in time number 1 too).
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    On PS tonight between 7pm and 12pm there has been 30 6max/4max real money NLHE MTTs, as well as 6max multi table sngs spawning constantly.

Turbos/Hyper turbos/KO's/Deepstacks/reg speeds.

Micro stakes, medium stakes, high stakes.

Every single 1 has antes.

I believe winamax is recognised as one of the fastest growing sites online. It's a 6max site, same as Sky. Again, every one of their tournaments has antes.

Sky clearly know something the rest of the online poker World don't.

• edited June 2014
    OK I hold my hand up Lambert have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to ante's as the only time I've played a tournament with antes has been in a couple of the past SPT's I've been too :) Currently reading: http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-journal.php?subaction=showfull&id=1289951723&archive=&start_from=&ucat=& to educate myself on it!

I guess the only hard thing about sky setting up ante's is determing the correct amounts in a particular structure. To be honest I'm happy without antes as it's something I've been used to and currently think my tournament game is quite well suited to the structure on sky but am all for change if it's for the better, will just have to learn how to adapt!
  • edited June 2014
     So much technical stuff, just try it sky!!! See what happens, tria antes for a week accross mains and minis and see how it goes.

As for tournamemt idea I think you should just mix Them all together,  BH 9 RING, 3500 SS plus  quicker blinds. £33 lots of fun I think. And something slightly diffrent.
    You could call it the saturday sky mix. And the mini mix

P.s if this does work which It prob wont can I get free entry I cant afford £33

• edited June 2014
    If I may ask Gary to the Q Cubed as custodian of the records for some info from memory, was there much overlay when the Primo used to run alongside a £220 7pm Roller a few years ago?  From memory the 220 hit just over or just under it's £5k GTD on the whole but I can't remember how the Primo did, plus the Sat structure for the £220 was not as good as the Roller ones now. As Elton said, Saturday night is alright for fighting.  A good turbo structure to give everyone action on a Saturday night is the right idea imo.  I also really like Yoyo's idea of going one rebuy for it. To elaborate further on my Sunday idea, the minis.  Still run the mini Roller and the mini Primo (7:30pm and 8:30pm respectively).  It's very true that the smaller deepstacks are very popular where as anything £22 and over has historically struggled, aside form the Roller of course.  Have double jackpot night and have those slower paced £5.50 and £11 MTTs for the smaller staked players as well as the jackpot hunters.  I've said it a few times before but I think the Mini Roller is a great once a week 'Biggie' for the smaller bankrolled players, you can't over use it but one Sunday one would imo be perfect.  And I know I may be a bit rich suggesting another jackpot opportunity as I am essentially asking for free money, however I don't think moving to eight from seven chances at it a week will up the payouts for SkyPoker that significantly compared to the popularity this may and I feel is likely to create. 
    Posted by TommyD

+ 1 

• edited June 2014
    After a close contest the Turbo freezeout is the winner and will take place tomorrow evening at 8pm.

Keep your eyes peeled for the satellites, can you be the first £8k Turbo open winner?

• edited June 2014
    Whats this addicition to Antes? Its a good thing Sky are different to other sites, as a recreational site antes wont make a different to numbers whatsoever
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : Dohhhhhhh and Matt Bates Have a look at the figures for the Megastack. I am 100% certain that Fridays Mega has bust it's guarantee EVERY WEEK without fail. And I'm 99% certain that the same applies to the Wednesday and Monday ones too. Dohhhhhhhh we get it you say it often enough but we're not all fans of turbos and you obviously won't be happy until all deepstacks are removed from the schedule. A full ring freezeout is an interesting idea but I'm torn between 2.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    i posted a thread on here about 6-9 months ago suggesting a mega-stack but it was shot down by a number of people, i just feel that with 10k in chips late reg could be open for longer and with much more play in them would be a great option although i do agree that the roller does this.

maybe a roller on a saturday and super roller on a sunday
  • edited June 2014
    Whats this addicition to Antes? Its a good thing Sky are different to other sites, as a recreational site antes wont make a different to numbers whatsoever
    Posted by alex1229

I think the reaon for antes is, this is a poker site, antes are normally involved in poker, live and online, it can affect gameplay, and create more action, will there be antes in the ukpc 6max, like any other live tounament? For people who just play sky and have no experience in live play or antes this will be a change players that arent used too it. I know skys diffrent... but why if its a common thing in tournament play.
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by alex1229
    I'm all for sites being unique but you want positive selling points, not negative ones. Sky has lots off them

- Played in £'s
    - 6max tournaments only
    - UK players only (almost)
    - Excellent withdrawl speeds compared to elsewhere.
    - TV channel
    - SPTs
    - Its own forum.

'No antes' doesn't make the list. In fact it's pretty high up the list of negatives that makes this site 'unique' to others.

I guess 'no late reg', 'no auto top up' and 'no re-sizeable tables' used to be positives on here too because it made Sky 'different' ?
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : I think the reaon for antes is, this is a poker site, antes are normally involved in poker, live and online, it can affect gameplay, and create more action, will there be antes in the ukpc 6max, like any other live tounament? For people who just play sky and have no experience in live play or antes this will be a change players that arent used too it. I know skys diffrent... but why if its a common thing in tournament play.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Keep hearing antes are the norm across the industry.
    How deep do these tourneys start,how many runners are we talking,what are the blind structures?
    The only tournaments that run 4+ hours are mains & deepstacks here,so hardly marathons.
    Admittedly sky's blind structure is not perfect.But if they can't get it right without antes how will antes suddenly improve game play?Just turn into a shovefest earlier. 

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Saturday nights on Sky Poker : Keep hearing antes are the norm across the industry. How deep do these tourneys start,how many runners are we talking,what are the blind structures? The only tournaments that run 4+ hours are mains & deepstacks here,so hardly marathons. Admittedly sky's blind structure is not perfect.But if they can't get it right without antes how will antes suddenly improve game play?Just turn into a shovefest earlier. 
    Posted by belsibub
    I thought that too :) Read this about ante's though: http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-journal.php?subaction=showfull&id=1289951723&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

To summarise what the blog says: Ante's basically give much more incentive for short stacks to get busy. Right now if you're a short stack with 10bb's and you go all in you're risking your stack to win a 15% chip up. But suppose ante's are in play as well you're now getting at least a 20% chip up (if not more depending on ante sizes) - in addition to this, your m size (Amount of orbits you can go before blinding out) will be much smaller which again forces you to get involved more.

What this does is get rid of the shorter stacks earlier and creates much more play for the bigger stacks (hence making skill a more predominant factor) - as it is on sky what often happens is you will get stages in a tournament where there are a lot of short stacks and only a few big stacks. This means the big stacks have no room for much play because they have to many short stacks to worry about. 
  • edited June 2014
    players being forced to get a short stack in sooner rarther having the opputunity to sit around and wait is a good thing

as above leads to more bigger stacks and better end game play

Sky MTT's always end up as crapshoot's with a lot of short stack players, which means not a lot of post flop play = less skill

bring in Ante's BUT................IT STILL NEEDS TO BE A GOOD STRUCTURE

Maybe Sky should read that article