You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Harry's Harmony....the harmonious road to Kiev.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Ok, so the eagle eyed amongst you might have seen that I was back playing and posting comfortably before 2016 was being given birth to. The plan was to have a complete break, but alas I missed the game too much and caved in sometime in mid December. Did have around 5 weeks away from poker (bar the odd community game), so it was the longest I'd not played in years. I just missed people hitting 2 outers vs me too much :)

Got my good deed for 2016 in nice and early this year; floods in York caused havoc from Boxing day onwards (many will be feeling the effects for the rest of the year sadly). In late November I'd purchased a new George Foreman grill and a new kettle, but never got round to opening them and getting them up and running. Our current ones work ok, so on New Years day I put a message out on a FB group related to the floods saying they were free to a good home that was the victim of the weather, and we delivered them to a very grateful woman later that week; she had lost pretty much everything and was without insurance as well. That was just a drop in the ocean compared to some of the work loads of people are doing to return York to it's all singing all dancing best.

Got a load of stuff lined up for this year, kicking off with Vegas a week on Saturday, with a night in Gothenburg beforehand. Menorca and Thailand to follow later in the year (the plan for Thailand is to not lose my debit card on the first night!), gigs including the Manic Street Preachers (supported by Editors no less), a one day festival in Derby, Ocean Colour Scene in Leeds with Shed Seven and The Bluetones on the same bill and a few other bits and pieces. Determined to make 2016 a good one, partly due to the following....

Around a year ago, a mate of mine passed away. He'd gone to the hospital complaining of a bad headache and tunnel vision. The doctor who saw him gave him some migraine tablets and said to come back if it got worse. It got worse; he went to sleep later that day and never woke up. He was 27 years old. I think that qualifies as a bad beat. To people who like nothing more than to whinge and complain about such trivial matters, or moan about how their AK was beaten by AQ, think on yeah.

Thanks for the kind words above gents and lady Duck.

Off to Manchester, come on City!
  • edited January 2016
    First Sky Kirsty now hhyftrftdr.

Is there a link between these two absences and returns?

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Harry's Harmony....the harmonious road to Kazakhstan?:
    First Sky Kirsty now hhyftrftdr. Is there a link between these two absences and returns?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Alas I know my limitations, I can't compete with SkyKirsty.

Any link between the 2 is pure coincidence.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Harry's Harmony....the harmonious road to Kazakhstan? : Alas I know my limitations, I can't compete with SkyKirsty. Any link between the 2 is pure coincidence.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I think you do yourself a disservice young man, that balcony of yours is a real magnet for the opposite gender.;)
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Harry's Harmony....the harmonious road to Kazakhstan? : I think you do yourself a disservice young man, that balcony of yours is a real magnet for the opposite gender.;)
    Posted by tomgoodun
    It's a sturdy balcony as well, 3 voluptuous people on it and it didn't even creak.
  • edited January 2016
    I've heard that Greg Raymer has lost a prop bet and has to do the zip wire. He's terrified and looking for an out. He's after a stunt double and will pay well.
    What an opportunity. Could be your only way of ensuring you come back with some money.
  • edited February 2016
    I've heard that Greg Raymer has lost a prop bet and has to do the zip wire. He's terrified and looking for an out. He's after a stunt double and will pay well. What an opportunity. Could be your only way of ensuring you come back with some money.
    Posted by Jac35
    How did this sneak under my radar? Clear off.
  • edited February 2016

Gonna be covering some miles next week....

Tuesday, York to Gatwick
    Wednesday, Gatwick to Kiev
    Thursday, Kiev to Chernobyl and back
    Friday, Kiev to Gatwick, then London to Nottingham
    Saturday, Nottingham to York
    Sunday, York to London and back again for the league cup final.

Tired just writing it all! As some will know, a rush of blood to the head a couple of weeks ago meant my finger clicked the 'book' button on Expedia and I'd committed to see the not so super City in Ukraine. It will be cold, we'll probably get beat, and I doubt the Kiev fans will give us a warm welcome, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Doing a day tour to Chernobyl as well whilst there, it's something that has interested me for a while so couldn't pass up the opportunity of going.

A happy quirk of the schedule above meant that I'd be passing through East Midlands Parkway on my way home on the Friday. So instead of completing the journey through to York, I'm heading over to Nottingham for the night to see some old and hopefully new faces at the UKPC. I'm flat broke, so if anyone wants to buy me a drink then a pint of lager will go down nicely :)

Last time I was at Wembley was when the mighty Wigan beat us in the FA Cup final, so it would be nice to banish those memories with a victory over Liverpool, though confidence is hardly flowing at the moment. Will probably be a tight game, they battered us at Eastlands this season but I'd be surprised if we make the same mistakes again. It might take a moment of genius to win it, and both teams have game changing players. At least Clattenburg isn't the ref!

I'd happily take 1-0 with Sterling netting a last minute winner.....

See you all a week on Friday if I don't die in Ukraine :)

Edit.....didn't win a bean in Vegas, standard.

• edited February 2016
    kiev is a lovely city with lovely warm people you will enjoy it h
    when stoke played the fans that went couldn,t big it up enough we still have kiev fans coming on our forum now they were fantastic,you will get the bad parts like everywhere else you just have to do abit of research m8
  • edited February 2016
    Have fun in Kiev buddy, remember it would be rude not to have Chicken whilst there, just brush your teeth afterwards.
  • edited February 2016
    have a great trip jon
  • edited February 2016
    great result tonight jon wd hope all goes well
  • edited February 2016
    Good result for your lot. Safe home and enjoy Friday.
  • edited April 2016
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Harry's Harmony....the harmonious road to Kiev.:
    Still tubby?
    Posted by Jac35
    You tell me, you saw me the other week.
  • edited April 2016
    I think he was asking if you were stationary, Tubby being the proper noun.
  • edited April 2016
    I think he was asking if you were stationary, Tubby being the proper noun.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I am very still today. This massive chip on my shoulder makes movement difficult.
  • edited April 2016
    I'm thinking this is a better home for my food diary.
    Was tinned spaghetti on toast for brekkie today, no pints after golf and a beetroot salad when I got home.
    Off down Morry's in a bit to get some things for tea. Any recommendations?

Oh and as it's poker chat, best dressed player yesterday was LmfaoAllin who assures me he was wearing a highly polished pair of brogues while DYMing it. New entry at number 62 is NAVYGAL who has had shiny buttons on her tunic 3 times in the last 5 days.
  • edited April 2016
    Come on Spanky, this is poker chat. Only serious poker related talk is allowed here. Any fun is frowned on and not encouraged.

You're not fooling anyone with that 'no pints and beetroot salad' airball.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Harry's Harmony....the harmonious road to Kiev. : I am very still today. This massive chip on my shoulder makes movement difficult.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I thought you would have ate that chip by now
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Harry's Harmony....the harmonious road to Kiev. : I thought you would have ate that chip by now
    Posted by stuarty117

'eaten'  :-)

• edited April 2016
    That's the trouble with this forum.

too many aters.
  • edited April 2016
    Holiday in less than 24 hours. It's not going to be blisteringly hot in Menorca, but compared to what we have in Blighty at the moment....

The transformation to DYMs continues. Comfortably made the leaderboard last fortnight, it's a bit touch and go for this fortnight but gonna put in a couple of hours today and that should see me home. Various things (gigs, football games etc) mean I couldn't match the previous volume, but did put in a full session yesterday. 25% ROI on the day, ez game ;)

Sadly it's not an easy game. I make loads of mistakes, have loads of spots where I'm clueless as to what the best line is. Played plenty of sats over the years so I think I understand the basics of DYMs well enough, and maybe with experience I'll be able to avoid getting in confusing situations. One thing that is patently obvious is that volume is key, how Dev ended up just playing one a day in his ''challenge'' is beyond me.

Playing 8 tables inevitably leads to mistakes; I've folded to an away player more than once, and also done folds when a micro stack has shoved 210 on my 150bb for example. It must look silly to others at the table! Accidently did a mild slowroll on Jimi yesterday as my attention was on a different table. He consoled himself with a takeaway. A man after my own heart. Someone did fully slowroll me when I shoved an ace on the button, they had AA in the bb but took most of the timebar to call. I enquired why they did it, to which they admitted it was a slowroll but wouldn't say why. I am more than petty enough to slowroll them at the first opportunity and look forward to doing so.

May is looking good. Menorca kicks it off tomorrow, then I see the Manic Street Preachers (supported by Editors no less) in Leeds on the 20th, and then The Coral in York on the 21st, then fly to Verona on the 26th for ''sporting'' reasons.

Is that ^ enough self ego boosting drivel or should I add some more?
  • edited April 2016
    Holiday in less than 24 hours. It's not going to be blisteringly hot in Menorca, but compared to what we have in Blighty at the moment.... The transformation to DYMs continues. Comfortably made the leaderboard last fortnight, it's a bit touch and go for this fortnight but gonna put in a couple of hours today and that should see me home. Various things (gigs, football games etc) mean I couldn't match the previous volume, but did put in a full session yesterday. 25% ROI on the day, ez game ;) Sadly it's not an easy game. I make loads of mistakes, have loads of spots where I'm clueless as to what the best line is. Played plenty of sats over the years so I think I understand the basics of DYMs well enough, and maybe with experience I'll be able to avoid getting in confusing situations. One thing that is patently obvious is that volume is key, how Dev ended up just playing one a day in his ''challenge'' is beyond me. Playing 8 tables inevitably leads to mistakes; I've folded to an away player more than once, and also done folds when a micro stack has shoved 210 on my 150bb for example. It must look silly to others at the table! Accidently did a mild slowroll on Jimi yesterday as my attention was on a different table. He consoled himself with a takeaway. A man after my own heart. Someone did fully slowroll me when I shoved an ace on the button, they had AA in the bb but took most of the timebar to call. I enquired why they did it, to which they admitted it was a slowroll but wouldn't say why. I am more than petty enough to slowroll them at the first opportunity and look forward to doing so. May is looking good. Menorca kicks it off tomorrow, then I see the Manic Street Preachers (supported by Editors no less) in Leeds on the 20th, and then The Coral in York on the 21st, then fly to Verona on the 26th for ''sporting'' reasons. Is that ^ enough self ego boosting drivel or should I add some more?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    More is less.
    Have a great time on yer hols
  • edited April 2016
    Have a great time pal.
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks gents.

Got back to sunny York yesterday evening. 5.15 in the AM when I got in on Thursday night, we had to vacate the apartment by 10 that morning, I am far too old for this behaviour. Great week though, plenty of laughs, loads of sun, met some fun people, what more can you ask for?

Apparently I'm quite funny and a Thomson rep we met out there complained of a ''sore jaw'' the following day. First time for everything. The season in Menorca had literally just started on 1st May, the day we arrived, but various holiday reps we encountered had been there for a couple of weeks already in training, so we picked up some good tips and local knowledge. All the best beaches got circled on the map, and they didn't disappoint. Glorious weather too, timed it perfectly as it was raining when we drove to the airport yesterday after 4 days of solid sunshine. Nice to feel smug sometimes ;)

Gave a lad a lift back to the airport. Called Josh, young guy at 21, is a policeman. We'd drank with him a few times throughout the week and was a good laugh despite his southern accent. Our flight to Manchester was 13.00, his to London was 13.10, so it worked out well and we agreed to meet at 10.30 yesterday in a local café. All fine sat having a coffee.....until he pulls out his flight confirmation and it says ''boarding closes 10.45, departure is 11.30''. Quite how he got it so spectacularly wrong I have no idea, and he had work later that day at 4pm to complicate things. I think he got lucky as his flight was delayed, last we saw of him was him running up the stairs to departures. I hope he made it.

Back to work and reality on Monday. Manchester tomorrow. Might play some poker in the meantime, rekindle my love affair with DYMs.
  • edited May 2016
    My my
    You're quite funny? And you gave a chap a sore jaw after a couple of drinks?
  • edited May 2016
    My my You're quite funny? And you gave a chap a sore jaw after a couple of drinks?
    Posted by Jac35
    Go watch paw patrol.
  • edited May 2016
    Back by absolutely no demand whatsoever, I just want to post some more self ego boosting drivel.

I think I'm losing my marbles; I'm 99% certain I had a bet at somepoint during the season (I'm thinking between November and Feb) on Sheffield Wednesday being promoted via the play offs. It was definitely on Skybet cos I'm a massive whale and cba to use other sites. But the bet is nowhere to be seen in my account. There is a slim chance, and I'm talking as slim as me, that I either dreamt the bet up, did it wrong whilst drunk or simply intended to do it but didn't. Guess I'm rooting for Hull on Saturday so I don't have to let loose on CC ;)

Poker is ok. There is no danger of me troubling Aussie's tables as 95% of the volume is DYMs at the moment. Still waiting for the opportunity to slowroll player X, it hasn't presented itself yet but I won't forget. I should be the bigger person (first time for everything) and let it slide but I'm not and I don't care :) Still having the odd dabble at MTTs with depressingly mixed results; 2nd in the mayhem FR last night, won the Orfy last Friday, but have probably bricked 20+ 9.30 BH's in a row. Me and that tournament don't get on anymore, and to think we used to be such good friends.

Leeds tonight in a couple of hours to see Manic Street Preachers supported by Editors, quite the duo. Then The Coral in York tomorrow, and jet off to Verona next Thursday for the weekend. I've heard there is a famous balcony there, but it won't be a patch on mine. £60 return in business class, god bless airmiles. More champagne please. Didn't get a CL final ticket in the ballot so won't be heading to Milan. Considering a day trip to Venice, and Lake Garda looks a must do. Might even treat myself to a pizza.

I have to wait an age for my next trip when I get back.....all of 3 weeks. Life is tough sometimes.

Have a great weekend.
  • edited May 2016
    If you bink Vegas will you bring Paul with you?