You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
Another site I play on have introduced at their micro level, a max 50 bb buy-in on ALL their 1c/2c tables.
so in effect the maximum buy-in went from $2 per table down to $1 per table overnight.
I didn't like this introduction to begin with but now think it's great, & it is also a level playing field to any player wishing to invest only 50 bb's as opposed to the 100 bb's that many/most players arguably choose to play with.

so, my question,  could this be introduced here at Sky poker at the nl4 level?

maybe as a trial period at first on some tables anyway, & see how it goes.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    In Response to NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?:
    Another site I play on have introduced at their micro level, a max 50 bb buy-in on ALL their 1c/2c tables. so in effect the maximum buy-in went from $2 per table down to $1 per table overnight. I didn't like this introduction to begin with but now think it's great, & it is a level playing field to any player wishing to invest only 50 bb's as opposed to the 100 bb's that many/most players arguably choose to play with. so, my question,   could this be introduced here at Sky poker at the nl4 level? maybe as a trial period at first on some tables anyway, & see how it goes.
    Posted by devonfish5
    4nl is already a level playing field. Every player gets 2 cards and sits down with X amount of money they are happy to spin up/lose. If people only wanna sit down with 50bb then they can do that.
  • edited August 2014
    & it is a level playing field to any player wishing to invest only 50 bb's as opposed to the 100 bb's that many/most players arguably choose to play with

• edited August 2014
    Dev, if players wanna sit down with 50bb instead of 100bb then they can fill their boots. Say if you had a designated 4nl table where the max sit down is £2....how would you combat it if the people already sat down had spun their stacks up to £5+?

Anyone playing cash should look to sit with the maximum anyway where possible.

Sky would be better off introducing 1p/2p tables than implementing this IMO. Players already have the option to sit down with as little as 20bb if they so wish.
  • edited August 2014
    Sky used to have 1p/2p tables & 25p dym tables.

you would combat that by not sitting at those tables & choose one where everyone had the 50 bb's or there about.

yes, players do have the option of sitting down with 20 bb's or 50 or 100 or whatever in between.
    i think a 50 bb max table would benefit new players for starters & anyone with a small bankroll too, where if they were sitting down against players with the same size starting stack of £2 rather than against players with £4 where they might feel intimidated for one, then it would make it a fair level playing field for those said players.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?:
    Sky used to have 1p/2p tables & 25p dym tables. you would combat that by not sitting at those tables & choose one where everyone had the 50 bb's or there about. yes, players do have the option of sitting down with 20 bb's or 50 or 100 or whatever in between. i think a 50 bb max table would benefit new players for starters & anyone with a small bankroll too, where if they were sitting down against players with the same size starting stack of £2 rather than against players with £4 where they might feel intimidated for one, then it would make it a fair level playing field for those said players.
    Posted by devonfish5
    I've already made the point above, but shall reiterate. Say Sky designate 2 tables to this £2 max buy in, and both tables contain players who have been there a while and spun their 2 quid up to £5+.....then what? Sit at a normal 4nl table? Do something else maybe and sack off the poker?

It already is a level playing field; every player gets 2 cards and the button every orbit, regardless of if they sit with 20bb, 50bb or 100bb.

If anything, only being able to sit down with a maximum 50bb would encourage gambling (less playing down the streets and more feeling obliged to go with your hand if only playing 50bb) and thus new/smaller bankrolled players might do their funds much quicker than a standard table.

It's the rake at the lowest level that wants looking at.
  • edited August 2014
    What about if there were tables where if you ever went over your starting stack then the money went into your account so you never went over the 100bbs? (or 50) would that have any advantages/disadvantages? just throwing that out there
  • edited August 2014
    Hey Dev,

I don't imagine Sky would be to keen they didn't even consider introducing master cash 4nl tables when it was suggested 1 year ago.

People can still buy in for 50bb or less, which many do, so don't know if there would be much demand for a 50bb maximum table/s.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : I've already made the point above, but shall reiterate. Say Sky designate 2 tables to this £2 max buy in, and both tables contain players who have been there a while and spun their 2 quid up to £5+.....then what? Sit at a normal 4nl table? Do something else maybe and sack off the poker? It already is a level playing field; every player gets 2 cards and the button every orbit, regardless of if they sit with 20bb, 50bb or 100bb. If anything, only being able to sit down with a maximum 50bb would encourage gambling (less playing down the streets and more feeling obliged to go with your hand if only playing 50bb) and thus new/smaller bankrolled players might do their funds much quicker than a standard table. It's the rake at the lowest level that wants looking at.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    the site i am with have 50bb buy-ins on ALL THEIR TABLES & have kept it so for some time, not sure of dates but it's certainly well over 6 months now, if not 12 , so they must see some point behind it.

i think you are only seeing this from YOUR POINT OF VIEW hhy, & not looking at the possible benefits to other players, should this ever be brought in by Sky poker, which I doubt will ever happen anyway., as they are pretty much way behind the competition in most areas, certainly poker wise anyway, imo.

having played on these 50bb buy-in tables i can at least give my thoughts & opinions as to why they should/could be tested here.
    I have not posted this up to fall out with anyone certainly not with you.

i don't see how sitting with a  50 bb buy-in would mean players would lose their money quicker.
    anyway that's your opinion & you have no evidence to back that up.
    I have been playing at these 50bb buy-in tables for some time now & I believe they are a great improvement for all players at the 'micro level.
    I don't class losing £4 on possibly the flip of a coin as 'micro level' either. & i'm sure there must be others who feel the same.
    Losing $1 yes (that's around 66p in our money here btw, for those that might not know).

yes, the rake is an issue too, & that needs looking at for sure, but again I feel it won't. 

anyway, I've asked the question, what happens or more to the point, what doesn't happen, is the more relevent question I guess.

• edited August 2014
    What about if there were tables where if you ever went over your starting stack then the money went into your account so you never went over the 100bbs? (or 50) would that have any advantages/disadvantages? just throwing that out there
    Posted by jordz16
    Funny jordz, I had just thought of that very same thing myself...
    which WOULD ensure the £5 -£6 table scenario would never be an issue here.
  • edited August 2014
    Hey Dev, I don't imagine Sky would be to keen they didn't even consider introducing master cash 4nl tables when it was suggested 1 year ago. People can still buy in for 50bb or less, which many do, so don't know if there would be much demand for a 50bb maximum table/s.
    Posted by LARSON7
    I agree mate...
    but on said other site, there was no discusion, etc, it just happened overnight, ALL 1c/2c TABLES BECAME 50BB BUY-INS,
    & players had to adjust their games accordingly.
    I think it would be a great addition to this site for most low playing 'micro' cash players, new & old alike, hence my question/suggestion.
  • edited August 2014
    Just because it happened on another site is not necessarily a good reason for it to happen here.  On the rare occasions I play cash I like to short stack, but I can't see Sky implementing this I'm afraid.

Although, I don't see why there isn't a "capped" cash table at the 2p/4p level.
  • edited August 2014
    Just because it happened on another site is not necessarily a good reason for it to happen here.  On the rare occasions I play cash I like to short stack, but I can't see Sky implementing this I'm afraid. Although, I don't see why there isn't a "capped" cash table at the 2p/4p level.
    Posted by FCHD
    Again i agree, but isn't it at the very least worth a try?
    if a site has continued with it for 6-12 months as i have quoted, there must be some reasoning for staying with it.
  • edited August 2014
    Just because it happened on another site is not necessarily a good reason for it to happen here.  On the rare occasions I play cash I like to short stack, but I can't see Sky implementing this I'm afraid. Although, I don't see why there isn't a "capped" cash table at the 2p/4p level.
    Posted by FCHD
    Because once the rake is taken from a capped pot at 2p/4p there would be nothing left to win. 

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : the site i am with have 50bb buy-ins on ALL THEIR TABLES & have kept it so for some time, not sure of dates but it's certainly well over 6 months now, if not 12 , so they must see some point behind it. i think you are only seeing this from YOUR POINT OF VIEW hhy, & not looking at the possible benefits to other players, should this ever be brought in by Sky poker, which I doubt will ever happen anyway., as they are pretty much way behind the competition in most areas, certainly poker wise anyway, imo. having played on these 50bb buy-in tables i can at least give my thoughts & opinions as to why they should/could be tested here. I have not posted this up to fall out with anyone certainly not with you. i don't see how sitting with a  50 bb buy-in would mean players would lose their money quicker. anyway that's your opinion & you have no evidence to back that up. I have been playing at these 50bb buy-in tables for some time now & I believe they are a great improvement for all players at the 'micro level. I don't class losing £4 on possibly the flip of a coin as 'micro level' either. & i'm sure there must be others who feel the same. Losing $1 yes (that's around 66p in our money here btw, for those that might not know). yes, the rake is an issue too, & that needs looking at for sure, but again I feel it won't.  anyway, I've asked the question, what happens or more to the point, what doesn't happen, is the more relevent question I guess.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Not sure where to begin with this....

What are the benefits for the players? Bearing in mind people can already sit down with as little as 80p at a 4nl table?

I stated why I thought it could mean some players lose their funds much quicker.

I'm seeing this from my point of view but you're not? 

I'd hazard a guess there would be much more flipping for stacks at just 50bb deep than 100bb deep or more.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If people want to sit down with 50bb or less, they already can.

And what you going on about ''falling out'' for? It's a forum, a place to debate. I don't agree with your OP, just like I didn't agree with the KK thing, but there is no need to be precious about things.

Jordz concept is interesting, though I'll be six feet under before the Sky software could handle it ;)
  • edited August 2014

Rake levels: 5p/10p and below

Number of Players Maximum Rake % per Pot Maximum Rake per Pot
     2 7.5% of the pot* £0.70
     3+ 7.5% of the pot* £1.40
    On a £1 pot they are taking 7p/8p.

£4 total pot = 30p, at a 50bb table would be extremely difficult (impossible??) to make a profit.

It may well be different on ps, or other sites, where the rake wasn't as massive at the micro levels.
  • edited August 2014
    I won't stoop to your level hhy...
    of course you are always right & i'm always wrong. end of.

• edited August 2014
    Rake levels: 5p/10p and below  Number of Players   Maximum Rake % per Pot   Maximum Rake per Pot  2  7.5% of the pot*  £0.70  3+  7.5% of the pot*  £1.40 On a £1 pot they are taking 7p/8p. £4 total pot = 30p, at a 50bb table would be extremely difficult (impossible??) to make a profit. It may well be different on ps, or other sites, where the rake wasn't as massive at the micro levels.
    Posted by LARSON7
    THIS.

please dont give sky any more ideas / incentive to scr3w micro-stakes players over: they are pretty good at doing that all by themselves.

if you want to improve the playing experience of micro-stakes players [and thereby improve liquidity across all levels] then lobby HARD for them to lower the rake. micro / recreationals have NO idea how the rake affects their winrate and how much sky's extortionate rake makes beating the game near impossible.

see gary laud's diary for evidence of that.
  • edited August 2014
    Rake levels: 5p/10p and below  Number of Players   Maximum Rake % per Pot   Maximum Rake per Pot  2  7.5% of the pot*  £0.70  3+  7.5% of the pot*  £1.40 On a £1 pot they are taking 7p/8p. £4 total pot = 30p, at a 50bb table would be extremely difficult (impossible??) to make a profit. It may well be different on ps, or other sites, where the rake wasn't as massive at the micro levels.
    Posted by LARSON7
    then y cant sky drop their rake, so as to fall in line with other sites?

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : THIS. please dont give sky any more ideas / incentive to scr3w micro-stakes players over: they are pretty good at doing that all by themselves. if you want to improve the playing experience of micro-stakes players [and thereby improve liquidity across all levels] then lobby HARD for them to lower the rake. micro / recreationals have NO idea how the rake affects their winrate and how much sky's extortionate rake makes beating the game near impossible. see gary laud's diary for evidence of that.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    what about GaryQQQ's diary...
    kind of counters that point, imo.
  • edited August 2014
    that devon is the question.

have they ever engaged with the players on this issue?

it has been raised on here so many times...
  • edited August 2014
    I won't stoop to your level hhy... of course you are always right & i'm always wrong. end of.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Really? And you are how old?

As numerous people have said, including myself, it's the rake that is the big issue at the micro stakes. Adding these tables is pointless whilst the rake is still sky high (no pun intended).
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : what about GaryQQQ's diary... kind of counters that point, imo.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Gary was/is an experienced player with many 1000's of tournaments under his belt. And I don't believe he dabbled in cash once whilst he spun himself up to a grand.

To a person new to the game, they will generally be oblivious to the rake element of it initially.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : what about GaryQQQ's diary... kind of counters that point, imo.
    Posted by devonfish5

gary is a winning reg who played ZERO cash in his challenge

he got out of the micros by game selecting HUSNG's where the rake is lower than on DYM's and cash.

that's right a huge winner in £10 games GAME SELECTED v recs at that level.

DYM's, cash, .55p hypers, hyper HUSNG's in general are all unbeatable except for the few crushers on the site.

in gary laud's first diary he was a pre-rake winner in hsi games by some margin yet was a HORRENDOUS loser after the rake was taken. if the micro rake was similar to the level above he would have broke even.

micro players cant even heater in their games as even a sick run will result in a meagre ROI post rake

you must be able to see why this is a bad thing for new players who want to give poker a try by putting a few uid from their betting / bingo accounts and giving games a go?
  • edited August 2014
    Is there a site where you can compare the rake for cash, husngs, dyms etc amongst all the main sites? i Must of played 1000plus husngs in the last 2 months, would be interesting to see how my profit would have looked on other sites.
  • edited August 2014
    the rake for low stakes  turbos and speed husngs here is better than industry standard.

the rake for hypers is by some distance below, and it gets worse the higher you play:

you can find some info here:

http://www.husng.com/content/heads-up-sit-and-go-husng-structures-and-buyin-information-most-poker-rooms
  • edited August 2014
    I kind of thought it would be pointless putting this question out there, but i did just the same as i honestly thought it might be a good idea, especially for new/low bankrolled players.
     anyway, i hope someone at sky reads it, if only to have a good laugh for 5 minutes..
    I certainly have had one, some of the replys are well constructed others are a joke but then this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess.
  • edited August 2014
    as an aside re micro cash:

assuming an average pot of 90p [seem reasonable looking at the lobby]

and say 80 hands an hour [dunno how many is average on 6max, seems ok guess]

that means that sky will in four and a half hours rake 6 buyins off the table. one buyin for each player gone in rake, in 4.5 hours.

i'm not a cash player but that seems like a difficult enviroment to play in as a recreational.
  • edited August 2014
    I kind of thought it would be pointless putting this question out there, but i did just the same as i honestly thought it might be a good idea, especially for new/low bankrolled players.  anyway, i hope someone at sky reads it, if only to have a good laugh for 5 minutes.. I certainly have had one, some of the replys are well constructed others are a joke but then this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess.
    Posted by devonfish5
    TYVM.
  • edited August 2014
    I guess when it comes to the rake paid you have to factor in what kind of rakeback you are getting.... i mainly play £10-£30 hypers on here and probably would be far better off playing somewhere else but seriously have never looked into it, maybe i should now.
  • edited August 2014
    the standard will be much much tougher than here, esp on stars.

in hypers, if you are planning playing on stars, they have groups at each stake over $60's where the regs will instasit anyone who isnt in the group, and without paying for a registration software you will have ZERO chance of opensitting first at $15+ [it will outclick you as soon as a lobby is available]. and all the regs have this software. if you do want to have a crack at $15's get sharkystrator and you will be able to opensit a lobby.

you can opensit $7s on stars and get plenty of fish, $15+ it becomes progressively more difficult without registration software and, ultimately, admittance to the group at that buyin.