You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I kind of thought it would be pointless putting this question out there, but i did just the same as i honestly thought it might be a good idea, especially for new/low bankrolled players.  anyway, i hope someone at sky reads it, if only to have a good laugh for 5 minutes.. I certainly have had one, some of the replys are well constructed others are a joke but then this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess.
    Posted by devonfish5

It was said as a sarcastic remark after all the negative responses this thread was receiving TK.
    it was not aimed at Sky directly or to anyone in particular.
    the line 'this is Sky poker, so I should have known better by now, I guess' was aimed at all the people who came here & posted their negative & as said often sarcastic remarks which are quite unnecessary imo.
    some were well thought out & explained well, I thought, others were borderline to being damn well rude, again highlighting why I made this earlier post.
    yes, I accept other players might have a different point of view to my own on this matter, but how you express it either shows your class or 'lack of it' as expressed by some.
    anyone would think I was suggesting something like 'Can we please close SKY Poker on a Sunday, as it is a day of worship' or something....

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?:
    The question was asked a few weeks back about the rake at the micros and we were promised a view of it by Mr Kendall. I think the suits must have gotten a hold of him and pointed to the carpet and said "get sweeping"!!!!! I am not having a dig at Tikay but it was pretty obvious that someone didnt want this discussed and lets be honest there is no clear case for why the rake is so high other than pure greed. Back onto Devs idea, as much as it pains me to admit I have to agree with Bob and as is always the case Teddy talks mucho sense regarding how the rake is a killer.
    Posted by dabossman
    Yo Bossman,

I honestly don't know where some of these ideas come from!

Wrong. Nobody told me to do, or not do, anything.

I DID agree some weeks ago to start a thread to discuss it, after one Gent asked me to. I decided to look at his previous Posts before doing so, & discovered that a great % of his previous posts were making the same point over & over again. In my experience, that's a debate I could never win, as his views were deeply entrenched, so in the end, I decided not to do it.

But I have now. ;)

I agree that "Teddy talks much sense". He's one of those guys who you ALWAYS want to read their posts as they are intelligent & lucid. I happen to disagree with him on this one, but we'll have a debate, not an argument, as we are both grown ups.
  • edited August 2014
    I kind of thought it would be pointless putting this question out there, but i did just the same as i honestly thought it might be a good idea, especially for new/low bankrolled players.   anyway, i hope someone at sky reads it, if only to have a good laugh for 5 minutes..  I certainly have had one, some of the replys are well constructed others are a joke but then  this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess. Posted by devonfish5 It was said as a sarcastic remark after all the negative responses this thread was receiving TK. it was not aimed at Sky directly or to anyone in particular. the line 'this is Sky poker, so I should have known better by now, I guess' was aimed at all the people who came here & posted their negative & as said often sarcastic remarks which are quite unnecessary imo. some were well thought out & explained well, I thought, others were borderline to being damn well rude, again highlighting why I made this earlier post. yes, I accept other players might have a different point of view to my own on this matter, but how you express it either shows your class or 'lack of it' as expressed by some. anyone would think I was suggesting something like 'Can we please close SKY Poker on a Sunday, as it is a day of worship' or something....
    Posted by devonfish5
    Thanks for the clarification Dev. The psychology of how people interact on the internet fascinates me. If rudeness & sarcasm worked, yeah, go with it, but it does not, so it's all a bit odd.  

I'm afraid that's the nature of Forums. People like to be rude when using a computer. They never speak that way face to face, of course. 

People are rude to Sky Poker or myself all the time, because they KNOW we cannot respond in kind, so it strikes me as a bit low, to be honest.

c'est la vie.   

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Wouldn't have just done it on a whim. Probably just figured it was the best way to make money from there customers same as pretty much any other business. Only difference I can see with Sky is that they're the only site with a forum?
    Posted by seanallen
    Morning Sean.

Back in the day (here he goes again....), almost every Online Poker site had a Forum.

Most of them descended into players abusing the site, so they closed them down. Very very few poker sites now have attached Forums, for obvious reasons, the sheer negativity was ott.

Peresonally, I hope Sky Poker keep their "Community" Forum, as I think it adds a lot to the site. Hard to put a "value" against it though, either as a Business, or a player.

I could name you several users of this Community who have never ONCE said anything positive about Sky Poker, & who almost only play Freerolls. Go figure.

PS - Pretty sure we shared PLO8 Tables recently, or am I dreaming?

• edited August 2014

BOOM!

Think that's everyone replied to, & the broom has not swept anything under the carpet, either.

I'm done for now, see you later.

I can't debate it for ever, but if need be, I'll respond to further comments & questions, but not until tomorrow morning.

I got some poker to play tonight, wiiiiiiiiiiiii.
  • edited August 2014
    first up, kudos for 'engaging' and also for tempering the debate . i'll try to steer clear of emotive language, innit

sky will of course charge as much as people are willing to pay. what i'm questioning is whether that is good for the long-term health of the games at the micro-stakes level [and the levels above actually]. in particular the games that are in the main unbeatable due to rake [sub £1 hyper HUSNG and DYMs all count]. if no-one is winning then the money is leaving the player pool. if people are deposting regularly then happy days for sky i guess. i'm not an economist or privvy to sky's business plan so i could be WAY off base, of course.

you say that most recreationals dont have a win rate and play for enjoyment. i'm saying that it is impossible to have a win-rate in those games. poker is a form of gambling [with a skill element]. gambling games that offer a chance to 'spin up' or go on a mini-heater are surely more enjoyable? at the moment that would be difficult for even the best players on the site to achieve at those levels.

see [editing name, not fair to bring his name up all the time]'s first diary for example. he felt fustrated and has quit playing numerous times. if he took his winrate to the level above he would have been a break even player. he is significantly better than the players in his games yet hemorrhaged money due to playing in unbeatable games.

we all know just what a psychologically intense game poker is when you cant seem to win. these games are unbeatble. as the 'entry level' games, i'm not sure that they are a great introduction to poker for the peeps who might deposit a tenner to try this wonderful game of ours.

if traffic and deposits are increasing at the micros, then fair enough: if sky keep offering unbeatable games they will clean up. just wondering if allowing players at the bottom to win and build a bank-roll would increase the liquidity of games [not just at the bottom, but throughout the site], would increase the enjoyement of the player-pool [winnning feels nicer than losing] and would be better for the long-term health of the site and business.

i'm very pro sky and recommend the site to people all the time. the lobbies are clean and well set up, cashouts instant, and the community is fantastic. i do feel that microstakes players, however, are getting a bad deal. that they arent aware of that and are willing to play games that they dont know are unbeatable doesnt, for me at least, change that fact.

again, i'm not an economist or in any way intersted in business models etc, but thats how things appear to my admittedly naive eyes.

thanks.

• edited August 2014
    Good afternoon Tikay

Thanks for getting back to me on that other PLO thread by the way (going for the win versus nit laddering), still struggling a bit with it, did Google ICM and even though I maybe didn't understand all of it I feel like going through the thought process of trying to work it out helped me a lot.

I tend to think for a really long time about the smallest of little things so it takes me a while to put things into words some times. I appreciated you making the effort to reply though and was glad to hear that things were generally going well.

PS - You're 2 -1 up in HiLo DYMs we've played together I think, I'll pull it back though.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Well it is a bit counter-intuitive to offer a 200BB Max sitdown to players at 4NL, surely? Most 4NL players who can afford 200 Bigs would surely be playing at bigger stakes, no?
    Maybe, but you could say the same about 5p/10p or any other level where there are standard 100BB and Mastercash 200BB tables.

The other reason that there was a call for at least one 2p/4p Mastercash table was that it would then have a "televised" icon, so maybe a hand could be featured in Mastercash hour on TV every now and then, and that hands from that table could be sent into the live shows for Poker Clinic etc. I find it ironic that the stakes where the players probably need the most help and would most welcome the odd one-off spot of having a hand on TV, is the very level where this is denied them.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Hi Larson Bloke. Three highlighted points. What exactly has been " sweeped under the carpet "? If you pardon the pun, that's a sweeping allegation! " get away with high rake ". Why " get away with "? They are not deceiving anyone. They offer a range of products, people are not forced to buy them.  I agree 100% with your last statement, very few players at 4NL are interested in the rake level, they just want to sit & play some fun poker, chat with their mates on the rail, play in ££'s which they understand, & enjoy themselves. That's why most of us play poker, surely? That's my excuse, anyway. ;)  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hey Tikay!

Rightly or wrongly sometimes it feels people make all manner of positive suggestions for the site which appear to fall on deaf ears.

I agree 100% with Teddybloat's post.

Anything that can be done to promote the game should be encouraged.

In the short term charging the higher % rake will make Sky the most money. 

As with Teddy, i'm not an economist, but I would argue that reducing rake (at the micros) would be more beneficial long term and result in longer term profits. A bit like Walmart's stack them high sell them cheap. 

If the games were "beatable" then it could only help the poker food chain. 7.5% at 4/10nl is massive imo. These games are still beatable (at cash) however it is very difficult for anyone to move up from these levels given the constraint of rake. Short term Sky might lose a bit of money reducing rake at micros but for the longevity of the game and the site I feel it could only be a boon.

The rake at DYM's 15% plus at micros and 10% on 55p hypers, it would seem safe to say these games are pretty much unbeatable for micro players.

They keep saying that online poker is in decline. I think Tikay you have said in the past Sky has been bucking this trend which is brilliant. But I passionately believe anything that a site can do to encourage / promote the game should be supported.

A big thing Sky could do in this regard is offer better terms for micro players in relation to rake, which would have a follow on higher up the chain.     
  • edited August 2014
    What about if there were tables where if you ever went over your starting stack then the money went into your account so you never went over the 100bbs? (or 50) would that have any advantages/disadvantages? just throwing that out there
    Posted by jordz16
    I suggested this to Sky a while back - I like that idea.
  • edited August 2014
    one issue, slip would be that money would be taken off the table at an accelerated rate.

rake already takes money off the tables. i posta calc either in this thread or another that showed that at the micros the equivilient of 6 buyins leaves the table every 4.5 hours.

if everytime a player won a pot the money went to their account then that would mean money leaves the table in two ways: rake and winnings

essentially players would have to top up more regularly than they do now to keep money on the table.

at the moment if player A wins a small pot of player B then that money is still available for the other players to win.

unless everyone auto-topped up tables would maybe dry up quicker

again i'm not 100% sure how this would affect dynamics / business / playign experience, but it is summat to consider.
  • edited August 2014
    I kind of thought it would be pointless putting this question out there, but i did just the same as i honestly thought it might be a good idea, especially for new/low bankrolled players.   anyway, i hope someone at sky reads it, if only to have a good laugh for 5 minutes..  I certainly have had one, some of the replys are well constructed others are a joke but then  this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess. Posted by devonfish5 It was said as a sarcastic remark after all the negative responses this thread was receiving TK. it was not aimed at Sky directly or to anyone in particular. the line 'this is Sky poker, so I should have known better by now, I guess' was aimed at all the people who came here & posted their negative & as said often sarcastic remarks which are quite unnecessary imo. some were well thought out & explained well, I thought, others were borderline to being damn well rude, again highlighting why I made this earlier post. yes, I accept other players might have a different point of view to my own on this matter, but how you express it either shows your class or 'lack of it' as expressed by some. anyone would think I was suggesting something like 'Can we please close SKY Poker on a Sunday, as it is a day of worship' or something....
    Posted by devonfish5
    You can name me, I don't mind.

I disagreed with you. I outlined my reasons why I didn't think it was an idea that was feasible, worthwhile, or would ever take off. If this is being ''damn well rude'' or means I have a ''lack of class'', then so be it.

It certainly won't discourage me from agreeing/disagreeing with you on any future topics.

I actually think anyone reading through this thread will be able to easily determine who has acted childishly and who hasn't.

• edited August 2014

Think Tikay has put some cracking posts on here, when he really isn't obliged to.

WP sir.

• edited August 2014
    Thanks to Tikay for taking the time out to post.

It's one of those topics that players vs Sky employees will always have to agree to disagree on (micro stakes rake), but grown up debate is good.

From the player side I can't really argue too hard when I'm one of the (growing) number of players that continue to play/pay so obviously prefer high rake + sky poker vs lower rake + other skins. If we all keep paying it, there really is little point in lowering the rake. The promos also feel way more micro-bias in the main, which no doubt levels things out, especially as they give losing players a chance to benefit (vs helping decent micro players boost winrates with lower rake) and invariably the money in the hand of losing players will help keep the games good.

Re: the 200bb NL4, I thought the only purpose of that was so you could hands shown on TV from all levels.  If you added a 100bb NL4 TV Table then I'd imagine very few (if any) would request a 200bb version... still surprised they don't, as it can't be that much harder to find hands worth showing than it is at NL10?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : You can name me, I don't mind. I disagreed with you. I outlined my reasons why I didn't think it was an idea that was feasible, worthwhile, or would ever take off. If this is being ''damn well rude'' or means I have a ''lack of class'', then so be it. It certainly won't discourage me from agreeing/disagreeing with you on any future topics. I actually think anyone reading through this thread will be able to easily determine who has acted childishly and who hasn't.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Fair points sir. People do act childishly on here from time to time.

As an aside, I guess you're  posting this on your way home from the match. Not seen the results yet. How did you get on? I imagine against a team like Stoke you won by 4 or 5?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : You can name me, I don't mind. I disagreed with you. I outlined my reasons why I didn't think it was an idea that was feasible, worthwhile, or would ever take off. If this is being ''damn well rude'' or means I have a ''lack of class'', then so be it. It certainly won't discourage me from agreeing/disagreeing with you on any future topics. I actually think anyone reading through this thread will be able to easily determine who has acted childishly and who hasn't.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yep, as classless as ever!!!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Yep, as classless as ever!!!
    Posted by devonfish5
    What exactly is classless? If someone disagrees with you then they have no class?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : What exactly is classless? If someone disagrees with you then they have no class?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I did write a lengthy reply but a silly pop us stopped me from finishing it, so here's the short version.
    it's not that you disagree or agree with me, it's your attitude i struggle with understanding.
    you seem to put down pretty much everything I write, in the most condescending way, not just in this thread but everywhere in general.
    it's the way you put your views across that i find classless not your views per se.
    I could go on but I know I would be wasting my time, so I'll accept your point of views in the spirit in which I hope they were intended, and will have to agree to disagree with you on this matter and every other matter that seems to come up between us.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : I did write a lengthy reply but a silly pop us stopped me from finishing it, so here's the short version. it's not that you disagree or agree with me, it's your attitude i struggle with understanding. you seem to put down pretty much everything I write, in the most condescending way, not just in this thread but everywhere in general. it's the way you put your views across that i find classless not your views per se. I could go on but I know I would be wasting my time, so I'll accept your point of views in the spirit in which I hope they were intended, and will have to agree to disagree with you on this matter and every other matter that seems to come up between us.
    Posted by devonfish5
    What attitude is this? Out of interest.

Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I put your posts down. But you do say plenty of things that I (and others) don't agree with; folding KK pre because you'd lost the previous 3 hands with it, saying Sunday is ''bingo day'', the idea in this thread etc etc. I'm not the only person who doesn't think the idea in this thread isn't feasible or needed. But I'm happy to debate things and ideas, this is a forum after all.

I think your sly digs have been completely unnecessary and I'd have much more respect for you if you just called me out in the future.
  • edited August 2014
    Dev ignore trolls, shame this thread has been derailed!
  • edited August 2014
    How to Make Friends and Influence People by hhyftrftdr

Good book.

I've read it twice.
  • edited August 2014
    Dev ignore trolls, shame this thread has been derailed!
    Posted by LARSON7
    Don't think there has been a single 'troll' on this thread. Depends on what you deem a troll I suppose.

Hilarious as always Brian ;)
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Don't think there has been a single 'troll' on this thread. Depends on what you deem a troll I suppose. Hilarious as always Brian ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I'm here all night.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : I'm here all night.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Thankfully I'm not.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Thankfully I'm not.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    All this tension in the air between us, mate.

Why don't we just rent a room and be done with it?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : All this tension in the air between us, mate. Why don't we just rent a room and be done with it?
    Posted by Slipwater
    You can't afford my tastes.

Anyway, lets not derail, might get accused of being a troll and all that.
  • edited August 2014

Traffic is increasing here, declining elsewhere, all is good. Sky is about to dominate!!! What u worried about!!!?

• edited August 2014
    hey,we,re all brothers here.chill
  • edited August 2014

Morning all, off we go......