You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    a) lower the micro cash rake... let the noobs win a bit more, see the cash trickle up the levels a bit

b) NL2 may hold some fans, but I'd guess the rake was/would be even more horrific and even then, Sky wouldn't deem it to earn enough to warrant starting - especially as it'd lower liquidity at NL4 and action5/5

c) Dev, you seem to be more so after a low-stakes cap-game here? Agreed, that seems to find a lot of favour with players on other sites and even on here the tables capNL10 and NL20 seem to get good use. It's a lot more gamble-y and I'm sure recs/noobs would like that element, especially those that go on an early heater. But yeah, rake would make it unbeatable for almost all. Shame, as it probably would be a good way in for noobs to learn the basics.

New ideas are always worth debating. Lots/most aren't feasible for one reason or another, but can't be any harm than seeing if there is something new that might work!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?:
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : then y cant sky drop their rake, so as to fall in line with other sites?
    Posted by devonfish5
    Good point and would be nice.

It has been brought up before and like a lot of stuff, been sweeped under the carpet.

The unfortunate truth is that while Sky can get away with charging such high rake they will never alter it as it would mean a reduction in their revenue.

For the vast majority of players they won't even think about rake, especially at 4nl.
  • edited August 2014
    The question was asked a few weeks back about the rake at the micros and we were promised a view of it by Mr Kendall. I think the suits must have gotten a hold of him and pointed to the carpet and said "get sweeping"!!!!!

I am not having a dig at Tikay but it was pretty obvious that someone didnt want this discussed and lets be honest there is no clear case for why the rake is so high other than pure greed.

Back onto Devs idea, as much as it pains me to admit I have to agree with Bob and as is always the case Teddy talks mucho sense regarding how the rake is a killer.
  • edited August 2014
    the standard will be much much tougher than here, esp on stars. in hypers, if you are planning playing on stars, they have groups at each stake over $60's where the regs will instasit anyone who isnt in the group, and without paying for a registration software you will have ZERO chance of opensitting first at $15+ [it will outclick you as soon as a lobby is available]. and all the regs have this software. if you do want to have a crack at $15's get sharkystrator and you will be able to opensit a lobby. you can opensit $7s on stars and get plenty of fish, $15+ it becomes progressively more difficult without registration software and, ultimately, admittance to the group at that buyin.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Have played around 600 15s recently and I'm surprised to learn it gets so serious/competitive with game selection so low down the stakes.

I seemed to get quite a few fish/bad regs without using any sort of game selection.

Suddenly a lot more satisfied with my ROI though :)
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : I agree mate... but on said other site, there was no discusion, etc, it just happened overnight, ALL 1c/2c TABLES BECAME 50BB BUY-INS, & players had to adjust their games accordingly. I think it would be a great addition to this site for most low playing 'micro' cash players, new & old alike, hence my question/suggestion.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Wouldn't have just done it on a whim. Probably just figured it was the best way to make money from there customers same as pretty much any other business. Only difference I can see with Sky is that they're the only site with a forum?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Wouldn't have just done it on a whim. Probably just figured it was the best way to make money from there customers same as pretty much any other business. Only difference I can see with Sky is that they're the only site with a forum?
    Posted by seanallen
    exactly,and it has to be paid for so does 861
  • edited August 2014
    I kind of thought it would be pointless putting this question out there, but i did just the same as i honestly thought it might be a good idea, especially for new/low bankrolled players.  anyway, i hope someone at sky reads it, if only to have a good laugh for 5 minutes.. I certainly have had one, some of the replys are well constructed others are a joke but then this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess.
    Posted by devonfish5
    This is why I like that we have a forum, so we can do this. Doesn't matter that the ideas that we put out are maybe going to be a bit 'hit or miss'. Sky probably quite like hearing people talk about the service they offer, whether its positive or negative. I'm sure it at least plays a little part in how they decide to take things forward.

Keep putting ideas out there, a lot of what you say makes a lot of sense I've always thought. 
  • edited August 2014
    Only read the first few replies but it doesnt seem to have been mentioned yet so... in short, it's already a level playing field because of effective stack size...

If I sit down with 50xBB, then it doesn't matter if you have 51xBB or 99999xBB, it makes zero difference to the fact that every pot I play is 50xBB effective. If you're saying people feel intimidated then it's a case of educating them that it's illogical to feel that way. If someone does have 999999xBB and is playing like a nutcase cos they think they got lots of chances to try and bust you then that's great for us, let them play like a nutter.
  • edited August 2014

Am pokering right now guys, but will reply in the morning.

And no, the suits did not ask me not to reply before, & will not do so now.

Have a good evening. ;) 

• edited August 2014

Morning all.

Don't quite  know where to start with this, so many different views on so many different subjects, but I'll try.

Am happy to try & answer any questions, though I'll swerve the sarcy stuff if you don't mind, life's too short & all that.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in?:
    Another site I play on have introduced at their micro level, a max 50 bb buy-in on ALL their 1c/2c tables. so in effect the maximum buy-in went from $2 per table down to $1 per table overnight. I didn't like this introduction to begin with but now think it's great, & it is also a level playing field to any player wishing to invest only 50 bb's as opposed to the 100 bb's that many/most players arguably choose to play with. so, my question,   could this be introduced here at Sky poker at the nl4 level? maybe as a trial period at first on some tables anyway, & see how it goes.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi devon,

I've no idea, to be honest, but I make a point of sending up to Head Office links to all threads which contain suggestions such as this.

Your question prompted quite a debate, some of it very balanced. Most of it is subjective, tomato tomayto, just depends where you sit & how you view things. There is little "right or wrong" in these things, it's all subjective. 

For the record.......a few years back there was a lot of lobbying for Cash Tables with a BIGGER number of BB's, & eventually, "MASTERCASH" Tables were introduced. These had a max buy in of 200 BB's, compared to 100 BB's for "regular" cash tables. 

They were received very positively indeed, & these have continued in use. Players therefore now have the option of sitting at Tables with max sit downs of either 100 or 200 BB's. A choice was offered, players seemed to like that choice. They can, of course, always sit down with less than the Max.  

Could or should a max 50BB be introduced? I suppose it could, but what next, where do you start & stop, 25BB, or 10BB tables?

You have to balance two things here.

1) Giving players as wide a choice as is reasonably practical.

2) Not offering too many options, as the more different options offered, the more the liquidity is spread around. If there were only ONE max BB level (say 100), ALL the liquidiry would be concentrated there. If there were, say, ten different options, the liquidity gets diluted tenfold, assuming an equal split of players at each. Offering more & more choices is a double-edged sword.

So it's about striking a balance I suppose.

I don't play Online cash, so I don't claim to understand the pros & cons of a 50 BB table. But there's nothing to stop anyone sitting with 50BB's at a table which has a max sit down of 100BB's, or "table selection" to sit where players are sitting shallow.

If the Business thinks it will generate extra traffic without compromising the existing balance of games, I guess they'd do it. If not, they won't.

• edited August 2014
    What about if there were tables where if you ever went over your starting stack then the money went into your account so you never went over the 100bbs? (or 50) would that have any advantages/disadvantages? just throwing that out there
    Posted by jordz16
    An interesting hypothesis, but I'm not sure WHY anyone would want that.

Do any other sites offer this? It's certainly a new one on me.

I don't see the attraction myself, but I like the notion of throwing out these ideas & chewing the cud. 
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Hi devon, I've no idea, to be honest, but I make a point of sending up to Head Office links to all threads which contain suggestions such as this. Your question prompted quite a debate, some of it very balanced. Most of it is subjective, tomato tomayto, just depends where you sit & how you view things. There is little "right or wrong" in these things, it's all subjective.    For the record.......a few years back there was a lot of lobbying for Cashables with a BIGGER number of BB's, & eventually, "MASTERCASH" Tables were introduced. These had a max buy in of 200 BB's, compared to 100 BB's for "regular" cash tables.  These were received very positively, & these have continued in use. Players therefore now have the option of sitting at Tables with max sit downs of either 200 BB's. A choice was offered, players seemed to like that choice. They can, of course, always sit down with less than the Max.   Could or should a max 50BB be introduced? I suppose it could, but what next, where do you start & stop, 25BB, or 10BB tables? You have to balance two things here. 1) Giving players as wide a choice as is reasonably practical.   2) Not offering too many options, as the more different options offered, the more the liquidity is spread around. If there were only ONE max BB level (say 100), ALL the liquidiry would be concentrated there. If there were, say, ten different options, the liquidity gets diluted tenfold, assuming an equal split of players at each. Offering more & more choices is a double-edged sword. So it's about striking a balance I suppose. I don't play Online cash, so I don't claim to understand the pros & cons of a 50 BB table. But there's nothing to stop anyone sitting with 50BB's at a table which has a max sit down of 100BB's, or "table selection" to sit where players are sitting shallow.   If the Business thinks it will generate extra traffic without compromising the existing balance of games, I guess they'd do it. If not, they won't.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Thank you for your reply TK.
    I thought it a good idea myself having played on another site who now use the max 50bb buy-in across all of their lowest stake cash tables, &  thought it could be trialed here for a short period, as mentioned.
    anyway, I have suggested it so it's now out there, so I can do no more.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Thank you for your reply TK. I thought it a good idea myself having played on another site who now use the max 50bb buy-in across all of their lowest stake cash tables, &  thought it could be trialed here for a short period, as mentioned. anyway, I have suggested it so it's now out there, so I can do no more.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Yup, an interesting idea. I really have no idea if Sky Poker will do it, but they'll certainly consider it, along with all other feedback.

As a business, I think the first question they will address is "will it make Sky Poker a better site, & result in a net increase in the amount of business"? If the answer were "yes", I guess they would do it. But the reduction in liquidity across the various options would certainly be foremost in their thinking.

Every single Online Poker site offers a different basket of options to players, so poker players are spoilt for choice, they can choose what they play, & where they play. Which is a great thing, imo.    
  • edited August 2014
    Hey Dev, I don't imagine Sky would be to keen they didn't even consider introducing master cash 4nl tables when it was suggested 1 year ago. People can still buy in for 50bb or less, which many do, so don't know if there would be much demand for a 50bb maximum table/s.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Well it is a bit counter-intuitive to offer a 200BB Max sitdown to players at 4NL, surely?

Most 4NL players who can afford 200 Bigs would surely be playing at bigger stakes, no?

Interesting, incidentally, that the thread is advocating SMALLER Max Buy-Ins AND BIGGER Max Buy-ins!

And there's the whole thing, everyone likes different things, the trick is to try & please as many as possible.

Discussing these things is great, though I'm at a complete loss as to why these discussions & debates often generate so much heat. Surely it is a good thing that we all have different opinions?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Yup, an interesting idea. I really have no idea if Sky Poker will do it, but they'll certainly consider it, along with all other feedback. As a business, I think the first question they will address is "will it make Sky Poker a better site, & result in a net increase in the amount of business"? If the answer were "yes", I guess they would do it. But the reduction in liquidity across the various options would certainly be foremost in their thinking. Every single Online Poker site offers a different basket of options to players, so poker players are spoilt for choice, they can choose what they play, & where they play. Which is a great thing, imo.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks TK...

If a few tables were introduced & no-one sat there & played on them, then I can't see much harm being done.
    On the other hand it's a possibility they might prove quite popular, who knows.
    It really makes little difference to me either way tbh, as I am now back playing dym's & can choose to play cash elsewhere, should I choose to... which is a great thing, as you say.
    I didn't suggest this for my benefit but as a possible option for either new players or players with a small bankroll, or recreational players who just want to gamble a pound or two with like minded people.

• edited August 2014
    I guess when it comes to the rake paid you have to factor in what kind of rakeback you are getting.... i mainly play £10-£30 hypers on here and probably would be far better off playing somewhere else but seriously have never looked into it, maybe i should now.
    Posted by jordz16
    Amazing you think about rakeback before assessing quality of opponent on the other sites!
  • edited August 2014
    Interesting thread this. Well done Devonfish for putting it out there.
    There are already a lot of players who sit with current sera dare min of 80 bigs but also quite a few that sit with much less.
    I've seen quite a few with only 30!
    Their choice to go against those with much more.
    There are also tables where the players with much less than 100 bigs sit together. So it might already be happening "unofficial lay".
    Still why not I say. Low bankroll players might like to sit with people at the same buy in not hampered by their own roll to sit with a smaller balance than others. A sort of half way house between free play and nl4.?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : THIS. please dont give sky any more ideas / incentive to scr3w micro-stakes players over: they are pretty good at doing that all by themselves. if you want to improve the playing experience of micro-stakes players [and thereby improve liquidity across all levels] then lobby HARD for them to lower the rake. micro / recreationals have NO idea how the rake affects their winrate and how much sky's extortionate rake makes beating the game near impossible. see gary laud's diary for evidence of that.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I always much enjoy your contributions here Teddy, but that seems a bit emotive to me, Sky Poker don't "scr3w" anyone.

They sell products, being various poker formats at different levels & costs.

They don't deceive anyone, the prices are clearly shown, & nobody is forced to buy their products.

BA charge £400 return London-Edinburgh, EasyJet charge £173 for the exact same journey. Are BA "scr3wing" passengers? No, their overall "basket of value" stacks up to some, & not to others. It's just how business works. The same equation applies to, say, Aldi & Waitrose. One is cheap, one is expensive. Both are very successful, & both offer completely different baskets of value.    

Different strokes, different folks. Passengers look at the basket of value, not just the ticket price, then make their choice. Nobody is forced to fly BA to Edinburgh. The BA flights to & from Edinburgh, by the by, for next Saturday/Sunday are almost sold out. And if you visit Aldi & Waitrose today, you'll find queues at both checkouts. Customers exercise their option to do whatever they want.  

Sky Poker offer a basket of products & services. Some are better, some are worse, than the competition. Maybe Rake at lower levels is higher here than than most sites, I don't know why, but supply & demand is almost certainly the answer. If you can sell apples for £2 a lb, why sell them for £1 per lb? The Y-o-Y traffic figures prove that customers, overall, seem happy with the balance. Traffic on Sky Poker across all levels has increased Y-o-Y, & very few sites can say that right now, so they cannot be THAT bad, can they?

"....recreationals have NO idea how the rake affects their winrate and how much sky's extortionate rake makes beating the game near impossible...."

Do you really believe that the vast majority of recreational players have a "win rate"? To the "poker serious" that may come as a bit of a shock, but many players just enjoy playing poker, & they know it costs them a bit of money, just as going to ther pub or cinema twice a week costs them money. It it their recreation, & recreations often cost money. Some play ONLY for profit, yes, but I suggest they are the vast minority.

Again, I think "extortionate" is a bit emotive, & does not assist the debate. You'd be staggered at how many micro-limit recreational players use Sky Poker for their poker fun. Any business, up to a point, will charge what the market will pay. Why would it not?     
  • edited August 2014
    Is there a site where you can compare the rake for cash, husngs, dyms etc amongst all the main sites? i Must of played 1000plus husngs in the last 2 months, would be interesting to see how my profit would have looked on other sites.
    Posted by jordz16
    How would you ever know the answer, though?

You might get better or worse rakeback on, say, FT or 'Stars, but equally, you might find it MUCH harder to win there. That can never be proven, but I'd suggest most hold the view that to win on, say, 'Stars, is much tougher.

You'd also neeed to try & assess the difference it makes playing on sites where HUD's & the like are permitted - they make it MUCH tougher for most of us, as the playing field is not level, & those who use HUD's & a whole array of other third party software are at a great advantage over you & me.

If any player here simply looks at ONE element - say rake @ low levels as an example - then they are not looking at the whole picture. The basket of choice & value is much much more than price alone.   

• edited August 2014
    If I played poker just for "profit" I wouldn,t play poker at all. I'd just go to work everyday and who wants to do that? There's already a ton of tables you can play for whatever buyin you choose so I think this is all a big hullabaloo for not much end product. 
  • edited August 2014

Quick aside.

I've already received one rather rude message, suggesting I am dodging some of the issues. I am not, I am trying to work through the questions in chronological order.

I don't know the answers to some of the questions, I'm just doing Devils Advocate stuiff mostly. I won't "dodge" anything, but I just don't know the answers to some stuff. Most of it is subjective, anyway.

It's also Saturday, & I need to go & tend my allotment. You seen the size of my parsnips?

• edited August 2014
    that devon is the question. have they ever engaged with the players on this issue? it has been raised on here so many times...
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    What do you mean by "engage", Teddy?

This is a Forum, & players feed back their views & Sky Poker read them.

You can't reasonably expect them to attempt to justify every thing they do, surely? They'd need a staff of plenty just to answer questions.

Whenever possible, I answer players questions, & do do so openly & honestly, though I do have a bias, of course.

Sky Poker is a business. It needs to keep players happy so at to maximise its earnings. Overall, it does exactly that. If you want to see the earnings profile of SB&G, google is the way, & you'll see that the business is very very successful, & so, presumably, we can assume that it offers a balanced range of products which Customers, overall, must like. That does not mean it can please all of the people all of the time. It can't, thats impossible.

By definition, threads like this concentrate on negatives. There are plenty of positives, too, which Sky Poker, & no other site, offer. I would suggest that players choose which site best suit their needs overall, but I very much doubt one single element makes much difference, they view the whole thing in a wider & more balanced context presumably.

Earlier in the thread, one player suggested "go to another site, their rake is less". Bit unbalanced that though, don't you think? Tougher to win there, some players will have HUD's, da de da. Players weigh all these things up, I'd say, rather than look at any single element.

The power sits with the players, always, as they make the choices. Plenty choose Sky Poker, plenty don't. Seems reasonable to me.    

• edited August 2014
    the rake for low stakes  turbos and speed husngs here is better than industry standard. the rake for hypers is by some distance below, and it gets worse the higher you play: you can find some info here: http://www.husng.com/content/heads-up-sit-and-go-husng-structures-and-buyin-information-most-poker-rooms
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Quite an interesting list of sites that. Note how many have since seen a huge reduction in traffic, or even disappeared completely. That post was made 2 years ago. There is at least one site there where players have been waiting many months to get withdrawals paid. 2+2 is your friend, but I suspect you know them anyway. ;)

It's all part of the choice thing, Jack Spratt & his missus.     
  • edited August 2014
    I kind of thought it would be pointless putting this question out there, but i did just the same as i honestly thought it might be a good idea, especially for new/low bankrolled players.  anyway, i hope someone at sky reads it, if only to have a good laugh for 5 minutes.. I certainly have had one, some of the replys are well constructed others are a joke but then this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess.
    Posted by devonfish5
    That's the thing I don't understand with threads like this devon, why are comments like that necessary or helpful?

Why on earth would they ever "have a good laugh about it"? What sort of people do you think they are, that they'd laugh at players questions?

"....this is sky poker, so i should have known better by now, I guess...."

I've no idea what that means, to be honest, so I can't really respond.

I'm spending my Saturday morning trying to honestly address all the questions, is that really "having a good laugh"?

I could be be busy, cheerfully sweating my nuts off up my allotment, remember.

• edited August 2014
    the standard will be much much tougher than here, esp on stars. in hypers, if you are planning playing on stars, they have groups at each stake over $60's where the regs will instasit anyone who isnt in the group, and without paying for a registration software you will have ZERO chance of opensitting first at $15+ [it will outclick you as soon as a lobby is available]. and all the regs have this software. if you do want to have a crack at $15's get sharkystrator and you will be able to opensit a lobby. you can opensit $7s on stars and get plenty of fish, $15+ it becomes progressively more difficult without registration software and, ultimately, admittance to the group at that buyin.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I have to say that Post gives great balance to some of what I've said, & to some of your comments, too. I've engaged with you on some of your other replies, so only right that I acknowledge the balance in this one.

So the rake is less at, say, 'Stars, but it is MUCH tougher to be a winner there, as the playing field is a bit bumpy.

Again, players have that choice, & try to find what best suits them. 

• edited August 2014
    The amount of tables is ridiculous already.

Poker is slowly dying new blood is needed to fund the business.

Look at the lobby, how anybody who is new to poker can understand it, I do not know. I struggle to get my heard round the amount of  tables.

Should be one type of table with different blind levels. 30 to 100 bb buy in. This buy in range allows people to choose how deep they want to play. Deep tables should be avoided as they are bad for long term business.

There are totally illogical blind levels  eg 100200300400500  then 1000. It would look a lot neater eg 1002005001000

Here is a list of different tables

standard
    action
    mastercash
    action mastercash
    capped
    hu
    hu action
    hu mastercash
    9 handed
    pot limit

have I missed any?

Add this to the ridiculous amount of blind levels and all hu with one person sat.

This all adds up to a ridiculous looking lobby that is going put people off playing poker.
  • edited August 2014
    a) lower the micro cash rake... let the noobs win a bit more, see the cash trickle up the levels a bit b) NL2 may hold some fans, but I'd guess the rake was/would be even more horrific and even then, Sky wouldn't deem it to earn enough to warrant starting - especially as it'd lower liquidity at NL4 and action5/5 c) Dev, you seem to be more so after a low-stakes cap-game here? Agreed, that seems to find a lot of favour with players on other sites and even on here the tables capNL10 and NL20 seem to get good use. It's a lot more gamble-y and I'm sure recs/noobs would like that element, especially those that go on an early heater. But yeah, rake would make it unbeatable for almost all. Shame, as it probably would be a good way in for noobs to learn the basics. New ideas are always worth debating. Lots/most aren't feasible for one reason or another, but can't be any harm than seeing if there is something new that might work!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Yo Shaky,

Fo sho, yes, lower rake would be good. So is the Community, & the education aspect of Ch 861, & the Guests we can learn from, all of which has definitely helped many thousands of players get better.

You could say no other site charges the rake to micro limit players that Sky Poker does. You'd probably be right. No other site also offers a Community, a TV Channel, the amount of different Promos EVERY single month. It's all a balance thing.

Players decide, as always.  
  • edited August 2014
    The amount of tables is ridiculous already. Poker is slowly dying new blood is needed to fund the business. Look at the lobby, how anybody who is new to poker can understand it, I do not know. I struggle to get my heard round the amount of  tables. Should be one type of table with different blind levels. 30 to 100 bb buy in. This buy in range allows people to choose how deep they want to play. Deep tables should be avoided as they are bad for long term business. There are totally illogical blind levels  eg 100200300400500  then 1000. It would look a lot neater eg 1002005001000 Here is a list of different tables standard action mastercash action mastercash capped hu hu action hu mastercash 9 handed pot limit have I missed any? Add this to the ridiculous amount of blind levels and all hu with one person sat. This all adds up to a ridiculous looking lobby that is going put people off playing poker.
    Posted by ajs4385
    Morning Aiden,

Well your question is really directed at Devon.

If you think that Lobby is cluttered, ever tried navigating the 'Stars lobby?!

So the thread now has "we want more options" & "we want less options". Can you not see how impossible it is to please everyone......

Still, you'll be pleased to know that the amount of new players joining Sky Poker has recently been increasing at a decent rate of knots.

Two facts for you.

Online poker, globally, is in decline.

Sky Poker traffic is still increasing.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 cash tables with max 50bb buy-in? : Good point and would be nice. It has been brought up before and like a lot of stuff, been sweeped under the carpet. The unfortunate truth is that while Sky can get away with charging such high rake they will never alter it as it would mean a reduction in their revenue. For the vast majority of players they won't even think about rake, especially at 4nl.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Hi Larson Bloke.

Three highlighted points.

What exactly has been "sweeped under the carpet"? If you pardon the pun, that's a sweeping allegation!

"get away with high rake". Why "get away with"? They are not deceiving anyone. They offer a range of products, people are not forced to buy them. 

I agree 100% with your last statement, very few players at 4NL are interested in the rake level, they just want to sit & play some fun poker, chat with their mates on the rail, play in ££'s which they understand, & enjoy themselves. That's why most of us play poker, surely? That's my excuse, anyway. ;)