You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Just a bit of bumpage .... useful thread for us Omaha noooobs

• edited January 2010
    Wow.. I'm already confused. I will say that all this OMAHA shenanigans does like FUN!! Can't wait to get started..
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS:
    Tip: If you don't have an ace flush, you don't have a flush. Bin it. I fear that an awful lot of people are going to lose an awful lot of money in the early days.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Im not even going to attempt it lol, stick to what i know best
  • edited January 2010
    This is brilliant Tikay - thanks for laying it out so simply.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for the tips, never played before so thought I would give it a go after reading this thread. Went on a 10/20 cash table and destacked sky_rudolf!! Won entry into santas tourney and £15!! Really enjoyed the game as it was something different. Thanks again x
  • edited January 2010
    I've been folding my way through the omaha dym's to great success this afternoon, but along the way I have been picking up a few little things, playing the odd hand when I pick up a hand from the bbs - starting to work out what constitutes a sexy starting hand - with so many possibilities it does make it a lot of fun. Hopefully when people get their head around the game it'll be great fun. But not too soon ;)
  • edited January 2010
    what about protecting your bankroll?---eh---eh----its floppin mental I tell you!
    Posted by oynutter
    HI
    I think that BR mangaement is even more essential in omaha.
    I've played a little omaha but not for a while, so i went on the 2/4p table with £1.60 and came off wirh £15.60, a very good result. On that table was Dohhhhhhh and Merenovice.
    Now it was great fun and a good lesson Dohhhhhh, by his own addmisson, does not know the game and it was very interesting playing him and we had a good discussion, with Merenovice, about starting hands and how the different streets change the face of the hands, also Dohhhhh was telling us his hands and vica versa, asking did he do the right thing.
    My second last hand was interesting, on the flop i hit a set, with two clubs on board, the turn brings a straight draw and the rivers brings a club. I had bet the pot on the flop and no the turn and on the river passed my set to a shown bluff, But imo I WAS RIGHT TO FOLD.
    What do others think?
    76Nivels Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.40
    karlrob120 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.40
      Your hole cards
    • K

DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.52
    mr_mbro Call  £0.04 £0.14 £16.73
    MereNovice Call  £0.04 £0.18 £3.93
    mcduff21 Fold     
    76Nivels Call  £0.02 £0.20 £1.38
    karlrob120 Check     
    Flop

76Nivels Check     
    karlrob120 Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Check     
    mr_mbro Bet  £0.20 £0.40 £16.53
    MereNovice Fold     
    76Nivels Fold     
    karlrob120 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.20 £0.60 £4.32
    Turn

• K

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    mr_mbro Bet  £0.60 £1.20 £15.93
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.60 £1.80 £3.72
    River

• J

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.80 £3.60 £1.92
    mr_mbro Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    • Q
    • Q

DOHHHHHHH Win  £3.51  £5.43

col
  • edited January 2010
    My advice for players new to omaha is to tread carefully, sounds obvious... just because your playing £1/2 hold'em doesnt mean you can make the straight transition to 0.50/1 or 1/2 omaha... YOU WILL GET IRONED!!

so swallow ur pride and start at micro stakes, i know i will. :)
  • edited January 2010
    well just playing my 1st ever omaha, (small 30p dym), ive never even seen this game played before,

but have to say very impressed, i like it. although im gonna need alot of practice....
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay, just played a game had str to 5 on turn but on screen said i only pair ?????????

also just had flush to ace but on screen said had 2 pair?????

any advice
  • edited January 2010
    Playing the Omaha tourney in 20 mins, will be my first ever try so should be a laugh plus its free. :)
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay, just played a game had str to 5 on turn but on screen said i only pair ????????? also just had flush to ace but on screen said had 2 pair????? any advice
    Posted by EDKENT123
    Hi mate if you post the hh on here it would be easier for tk or me or anyone else to answer or post the exact board it could be that you thought you could use one card like in holdem when you cant it has to be two cards.Or it could be a technical fault as the site is new.
  • edited January 2010
    This is brilliant Tikay - thanks for laying it out so simply.
    Posted by Sky_Des
    Oh Yeah Des, its as easy as abacadbdcabcabdccdcba, if you see what i mean lol

col
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay, just played a game had str to 5 on turn but on screen said i only pair ????????? also just had flush to ace but on screen said had 2 pair????? any advice
    Posted by EDKENT123
    Hi ED,

Yes, as JamieP noted, we'd need to see the hand History.

• edited January 2010

It's VERY helpful to have "SHOW HAND DESCRIPTIONS" enabled - it helps a LOT!
  • edited January 2010

Also, as above, use the "Four Colour Deck" Option, that also helps.
  • edited January 2010
    Also, as above, use the "Four Colour Deck" Option, that also helps.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony
    What do think of my play in the hand above my friend
    col
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : Hi Tony What do think of my play in the hand above my friend col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Hi Col,

I had a quick look - I'm a bit busy today, I've got to put up a Post giving away free entries shortly........but it looks to me that you recognized that your Set was almost certainly no good.

Adapting to what has to be passed in Omaha, relative to Texas, is the biggest obstacle to most. You don't have a problem there from what I can see.

But I'll study it properly tomorrow, as I'm spinning plates here right now.
  • edited January 2010
    ED to quote Tikay from earlier in thread, ''Let's say you have A-A-7-3. (Ignore flushes here). The Board comes 9-10-J-Q-K. You do NOT have a straight! You have ONE PAIR'' so I'm guessing that's why you only had two pair instead of your flush - in Omaha, you must use two cards from four not just one so although you might've held the Ace for the nut flush, it doesn't count!
    Hopefully that makes sense - others could explain it better I'm sure!
  • edited January 2010

Good Post by Action Dan.

The "must use two cards from your hand" thing can be VERY confusing.

Look at it another way.

If you have A-A-7-3 ALL BLACK, & the board comes FIVE Hearts, 3-5-7-J-K what is your hand?

• edited January 2010
    Good Post by Action Dan. The "must use two cards from your hand" thing can be VERY confusing. Look at it another way. If you have A-A-7-3 ALL BLACK, & the board comes FIVE Hearts, 3-5-7-J-K what is your hand?
    Posted by Tikay10
    2 pair 7 un 3's?
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah I think it's 7733K two pair K kickerist.
  • edited January 2010
    Just played first game, very, very complicated
  • edited January 2010
    Good Post by Action Dan. The "must use two cards from your hand" thing can be VERY confusing. Look at it another way. If you have A-A-7-3 ALL BLACK, & the board comes FIVE Hearts, 3-5-7-J-K what is your hand?
    Posted by Tikay10
    garbage
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : garbage
    Posted by JAEGERBOMB
    Correct. We call it "an Orford".
  • edited January 2010
    Sitting with £2 in a 2p/4p learning as I go.  Just figured out you MUST use 2 cards from your hand when the board had 4 clubs, I had the Ac but I never had a flush!

If only I'd read 6 posts above this one before playing!

Currently run my £2 up to £10, make that £12!
  • edited January 2010
    I am currently playing some 30p dym ohama games to get used to it as im new to Ohama, so if anyone fanices joining me, please do

Also, i have a question, what is a good hand HU in Ohama? 2 pair?

• edited January 2010
    ED to quote Tikay from earlier in thread, ''Let's say you have A-A-7-3. (Ignore flushes here). The Board comes 9-10-J-Q-K. You do NOT have a straight! You have ONE PAIR'' so I'm guessing that's why you only had two pair instead of your flush - in Omaha, you must use two cards from four not just one so although you might've held the Ace for the nut flush, it doesn't count! Hopefully that makes sense - others could explain it better I'm sure!
    Posted by Action_Dan
    Dan, Tikay and the rest of you ever so hopeful chaps.... yeah your right.... i reviewed the hand and PAID ATTENTION, thaks for the help...

Just played my 1st omaha tourni and finished (i thought was quite good) 61st out roughly 300, but i will add that was my 2nd ever omaha game

The futures bright the futures omaha
  • edited January 2010
    This was only on a free table but is this a good flop for my hand? i liked the look of it but should I ahve been worried by the 2 hearts?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    lunan Small blind £10.00 £10.00 £1200.00
    amd_2004dj Big blind  £20.00 £30.00 £1800.00
    35suited Big blind  £20.00 £50.00 £880.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

FUNK437 Fold     
    35suited Check     
    lunan Call  £10.00 £60.00 £1190.00
    amd_2004dj Check     
    Flop

• Q
  • edited January 2010
    This was only on a free table but is this a good flop for my hand? i liked the look of it but should I ahve been worried by the 2 hearts? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance lunan Small blind £10.00 £10.00 £1200.00 amd_2004dj Big blind   £20.00 £30.00 £1800.00 35suited Big blind   £20.00 £50.00 £880.00   Your hole cards 7 Q 2 3       FUNK437 Fold         35suited Check         lunan Call   £10.00 £60.00 £1190.00 amd_2004dj Check         Flop     Q 3 2
    Posted by 35suited
    Hi
    IMO the answer at this stage is no, but you must be mindfull of another comes on the turn or river.
    In this situation you are only behind to a set so bet it hardish, I would put in a pot raise and then reassess on the turn.

col
    ps im not that good at the game so i may be wrong.