You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS

Comments

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS:
    This was only on a free table but is this a good flop for my hand? i liked the look of it but should I ahve been worried by the 2 hearts? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance lunan Small blind £10.00 £10.00 £1200.00 amd_2004dj Big blind   £20.00 £30.00 £1800.00 35suited Big blind   £20.00 £50.00 £880.00   Your hole cards 7 Q 2 3       FUNK437 Fold         35suited Check         lunan Call   £10.00 £60.00 £1190.00 amd_2004dj Check         Flop     Q 3 2
    Posted by 35suited
      To me there are lots things on that flop you should be worried about. Sets better 2 pair, straight and flush draws. Your starting hand is weak because it does not contain enough playable hands and that flop eliminates most of what you had. You may be ahead on the flop but unless you improve you would lose quite a bit because there are so many better possibilities there.2 pair though strong in texas is not that great in omaha. This is a flop i would be anxious of if i were you
  • edited January 2010
    Cheers for the advice col and talon, as I said it was onlyplay money the chips went in on the flop and someone got there flush on the turn.

Its hard to learn in free play as the chips were going all in pre flop most hand, guess it mgiht be better to elarn at small stakes dym
  • edited January 2010
    Cheers for the advice col and talon, as I said it was onlyplay money the chips went in on the flop and someone got there flush on the turn. Its hard to learn in free play as the chips were going all in pre flop most hand, guess it mgiht be better to elarn at small stakes dym
    Posted by 35suited
     I think you are right about trying to learn on the freeplay tables. Get into a low stakes cash game and get chatting to people you will get invaluable tips there.And try to learn all your lessons as cheaply as possible
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS :  I think you are right about trying to learn on the freeplay tables. Get into a low stakes cash game and get chatting to people you will get invaluable tips there.And try to learn all your lessons as cheaply as possible
    Posted by Talon
    im on the 30p dyms, its great fun, and the players are being really helpful
  • edited January 2010
      Another interesting thing happened earlier today. I was watching an omaha cash table which had on it Dohhhhhhh Merenovice Madmoo and Gerrard9. Some of the bigger hitters around. This was a 2p/4p table. It just shows that not everyone on the site is a total shark at omaha and most are in the same boat as everyone else
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : Dan, Tikay and the rest of you ever so hopeful chaps.... yeah your right.... i reviewed the hand and PAID ATTENTION, thaks for the help... Just played my 1st omaha tourni and finished (i thought was quite good) 61st out roughly 300, but i will add that was my 2nd ever omaha game The futures bright the futures omaha
    Posted by EDKENT123
    You're welcome ED! I've bubbled in the 3pm and 5pm Omaha Freeroll this afternoon - gutted to miss out on the Bounty Hunter but loving experimenting with Omaha at the moment...it's MINT!
  • edited January 2010

CARDRUNNERS MEMBERS OWN
  • edited January 2010
    imo 2p-4p is similar too 50-1.00--Because of the amount of times you have to go all in--up the stakes the game would be absolutely floppin mental!

it's a crazy game for mad gamblers imo, and in cash games, you could lose your bankroll approx 25 times faster.

Obviously if you are good at it, you can win, but the variance in omaha is prohibitive for players that need to be careful with their bankroll

• edited January 2010
      Another interesting thing happened earlier today. I was watching an omaha cash table which had on it Dohhhhhhh Merenovice Madmoo and Gerrard9. Some of the bigger hitters around. This was a 2p/4p table. It just shows that not everyone on the site is a total shark at omaha and most are in the same boat as everyone else
    Posted by Talon
    Thank you for the advice that you and merenovice where giving at the table it was very helpful x
  • edited January 2010
    woohoo 2nd/6 in a 30p DYM!!
  • edited January 2010
    woohoo 2nd/6 in a 30p DYM!!
    Posted by diablo_pez
    Nice 1 Pez, try the cash games, I sat at 5/10p with £10 and stood with £127!! Still dont really no what I am doing but having fun learning.
  • edited January 2010
    ok 2 wins  in a row ,

in the 2 pound double ups ,

in omaha i am hooked lol,

and i kind of  know what to do,

this helps  lol,

it seems you got to be extra aggressive right or wrong ?
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : HI I think that BR mangaement is even more essential in omaha. I've played a little omaha but not for a while, so i went on the 2/4p table with £1.60 and came off wirh £15.60, a very good result. On that table was Dohhhhhhh and Merenovice. Now it was great fun and a good lesson Dohhhhhh, by his own addmisson, does not know the game and it was very interesting playing him and we had a good discussion, with Merenovice, about starting hands and how the different streets change the face of the hands, also Dohhhhh was telling us his hands and vica versa, asking did he do the right thing. My second last hand was interesting, on the flop i hit a set, with two clubs on board, the turn brings a straight draw and the rivers brings a club. I had bet the pot on the flop and no the turn and on the river passed my set to a shown bluff, But imo I WAS RIGHT TO FOLD. What do others think? 76Nivels Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.40 karlrob120 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.40   Your hole cards 7 10 10 K       DOHHHHHHH Call   £0.04 £0.10 £4.52 mr_mbro Call   £0.04 £0.14 £16.73 MereNovice Call   £0.04 £0.18 £3.93 mcduff21 Fold         76Nivels Call   £0.02 £0.20 £1.38 karlrob120 Check         Flop     5 10 4       76Nivels Check         karlrob120 Check         DOHHHHHHH Check         mr_mbro Bet   £0.20 £0.40 £16.53 MereNovice Fold         76Nivels Fold         karlrob120 Fold         DOHHHHHHH Call   £0.20 £0.60 £4.32 Turn     K       DOHHHHHHH Check         mr_mbro Bet   £0.60 £1.20 £15.93 DOHHHHHHH Call   £0.60 £1.80 £3.72 River     J       DOHHHHHHH Bet   £1.80 £3.60 £1.92 mr_mbro Fold         DOHHHHHHH Show 6 3 Q Q       DOHHHHHHH Win   £3.51   £5.43 Prev Close window Next col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Definitely the fold was the right decision imo - I can understand why Dohhh stayed in the hand - as he was straightening - although not sure that he should have been in the hand in the first place if you're playing abc Omaha - remember what Tikay said about being able to make 3 hands minimum from your 4 starting cards. You have the tens which is interesting but no real connecting cards either so if you hadn't been playing to discuss and learn I would be asking why you were in the hand in the first place - both of you!!!

At the end Dohh seems to assume he's ok with QQ, although he is being beaten by any flush, any over pair, any set etc etc. Very dangerous to bluff in Omha as so much more likely to get called by a hand thats beating you.

You are folding assuming you are up against a straight or a flush, both fair assumptions. In Omaha - imo - when you have the nuts bet it hard and keep betting it - flop and turn, pot odds come into play much more as so much money can get into the pot really quickly -  with people happy to commit to a pot with drawing hands - so if you have the nuts bet it hard to try and keep the drawing hands away. And when you're losing - fold.

I play small stakes omaha sit and go's and win more often playing abc omaha than i do playing abc holdem. In omaha you can disguise the nuts easily as people get drawn in to their flushes, straights, even 2 pair. It's a great game, easy to get off hands by recognising the possible draws and made hands. It's more difficult to bluff your opponent as they really could have the nuts, the way to win at omaha imo is to play strong with strong hands and find a non believer.

The 3 things that helped me initially were the play with 2 cards rule and remembering that nut flushes may not be winning if the board is paired. Lastly - you can have 4 of a kind with only 1 of them in your hand. So if you have A K Q J in your hand and the board comes AAA you have 4 of a kind with a K kicker. I folded a lot of these before realising I was winning!

And hold on to your hats for Hi/Lo - great great game :-))

Hope that helps.
  • edited January 2010
    ok 2 wins  in a row , in the 2 pound double ups , in omaha i am hooked lol, and i kind of  know what to do, this helps  lol, it seems you got to be extra aggressive right or wrong ?
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Right - don't give them the odds to catch their card, of if they do make sure it also helps you.
  • edited January 2010
    I just thought can we sticky this thread sky mods?As we have loads of threads being created about omaha i can't see the wood for the trees on the general poker forum.It would be nice to keep it all in one place and be easier to find for those wishing to ask question's about this game imo.
  • edited January 2010
    I just thought can we sticky this thread sky mods?As we have loads of threads being created about omaha i can't see the wood for the trees on the general poker forum.It would be nice to keep it all in one place and be easier to find for those wishing to ask question's about this game imo.
    Posted by JAMIEP
    I think we can assume by the lack of a reply by the Mods that the answer is "No".

Would it help if I condensed all the Hints & Tips - not just mine, but all the helpful Posts on this Thread - into a Single Blog Entry? My Blogs are a lot easier to find than a Thread that has slipped off the Front Page.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : I think we can assume by the lack of a reply by the Mods that the answer is "No". Would it help if I condensed all the Hints & Tips - not just mine, but all the helpful Posts on this Thread - into a Single Blog Entry? My Blogs are a lot easier to find than a Thread that has slipped off the Front Page.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Strange i thought it would be a good idea for the reason like the poster in the ask tikay thread asks you about omaha which means he missed this thread as it drifted off the first page.So yeah perhaps try your idea of the blog tk might help the forum members.
  • edited January 2010
    This was only on a free table but is this a good flop for my hand? i liked the look of it but should I ahve been worried by the 2 hearts? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance lunan Small blind £10.00 £10.00 £1200.00 amd_2004dj Big blind   £20.00 £30.00 £1800.00 35suited Big blind   £20.00 £50.00 £880.00   Your hole cards 7 Q 2 3       FUNK437 Fold         35suited Check         lunan Call   £10.00 £60.00 £1190.00 amd_2004dj Check         Flop     Q 3 2
    Posted by 35suited
    If your going to the flop multi way and you have 2 pair then it's ok for now but you can all but guarantee you have flush draw against you, Possibly trips and there will be calls by the flush draw when you bet
  • edited January 2010

Many players seem to be struggling with Omaha, so this thread may help.

As soon as time permits, I'll turn it into a Blog, so it's easier to find, as it keeps falling off the Page.

Please remember that in Hold Em, you have ONE two card hand. In Omaha, you have SIX two card hands. This changes the dynamic totally. One pair in Omaha is almost always hopelessly behind.

Also, you MUST use TWO cards from your hand - not more, not less.

And if you have three of a kind in your hand - J-J-J for example - THROW IT AWAY. It has no "scope", it's very difficult for it to improve.

Remember, for starting hand criteria, you want cards that work together.

And NEVER play the hand if you have two danglers.

• edited January 2010
    Many players seem to be struggling with Omaha, so this thread may help. As soon as time permits, I'll turn it into a Blog, so it's easier to find, as it keeps falling off the Page. Please remember that in Hold Em, you have ONE two card hand. In Omaha, you have SIX two card hands. This changes the dynamic totally. One pair in Omaha is almost always hopelessly behind. Also, you MUST use TWO cards from your hand - not more, not less. And if you have three of a kind in your hand - J-J-J for example - THROW IT AWAY. It has no "scope", it's very difficult for it to improve. Remember, for starting hand criteria, you want cards that work together . And NEVER play the hand if you have two danglers.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I tried this rule and realised i could never play a hand, and whats worse all my opponents were ladies and none of them had two danglers and played every hand, do you think i should cut one off?? 
  • edited January 2010
    Just played my first game (0.30 DYM) and cashed (1st) ... I'd like to say it was skill that won it but if so it was probably my skillfull folds that did the trick lol

Anyway....

I've seen a comment crop up a couple of times, possible from our good friend Talon maybe from someone else, that "the 4-flush doesn't exist in Omaha".
    I'm confused by this. Surely if I'm holding a couple of (for eg) Clubs and the flop comes two clubs then I'm on the 4-flush - I just need the turn or river to Club up.

'Elp!
  • edited January 2010
    Just played my first game (0.30 DYM) and cashed (1st) ... I'd like to say it was skill that won it but if so it was probably my skillfull folds that did the trick lol Anyway.... I've seen a comment crop up a couple of times, possible from our good friend Talon maybe from someone else, that "the 4-flush doesn't exist in Omaha" . I'm confused by this. Surely if I'm holding a couple of (for eg) Clubs and the flop comes two clubs then I'm on the 4-flush - I just need the turn or river to Club up. 'Elp!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
      What is meant by the 4 flush is one in your hand and 4 on the board.You can do this in holdem but not in Omaha because you must use 2 from your hand.

Hope this Elps
  • edited January 2010
    seen a few moaning in the chat about the bad beats

variance is a lot higher in omaha than holdem and you need to adjust your bankroll accordingly
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS :   What is meant by the 4 flush is one in your hand and 4 on the board.You can do this in holdem but not in Omaha because you must use 2 from your hand. Hope this Elps
    Posted by Talon
    Ok, thanks. It's because I've seen the 4-flush description used (in NLHE) when holding suited hole cards and two of the same suit come on the flop, so that to me is a 4-flush, which would still be ok in PLO (right?) because I could use my two in the hand plus the two and (hopefully) third flushing card from the turn or river.

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : Ok, thanks. It's because I've seen the 4-flush description used (in NLHE) when holding suited hole cards and two of the same suit come on the flop, so that to me is a 4-flush, which would still be ok in PLO (right?) because I could use my two in the hand plus the two and (hopefully) third flushing card from the turn or river.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
      That is 4 to the flush and yes that still works fine.You just have to remember you are playing 6 holdem hands at the same time, the only major rule difference is the fact that you must use 2 from your hand
  • edited January 2010
    just played for a few hours relatively low

players think top pair is the nuts in omaha, its not its worthless especially in multi pots

you cant claim a flush with 3 in your hand :)

jj 8 2 off really isnt a good hand
  • edited January 2010

read this thread a couple of days ago really couldnt make head nor tail of it but i was intrested in playing.so i gave it a go last night,was a bit apprehensive but IRISHROVER was sitting and TALON  was watching and they put me at ease straight away giving me tips and wot not,it was much appreiciated guys.anyway won about 80p but i reread the thread again just now and it makes much more sense now.thank you all for the tips...sean

• edited January 2010
    Been playing PLO about 2 years on another site, great to see it on sky and looking forward to Hi Lo.  My best tip for beginners would be to remain passive preflop, bet or call with strong draws (J and Q high flushes rarely win), and after river is dealt the 2nd nuts is vulnerable and should be bet cautiously.
    Many seem to be playing NL, try to play PL as managing pot sizes with your bets is VERY important. as Stokefc has mentioned thers a player called Talon who is railing the tables and giving advice, he makes alot of sense and i would recommend listening.
  • edited January 2010

So many people are struggling, & asking for help, (I get PM's every single day seeking help/advicewith Omaha), that I've taken the liberyty of Bumping this thread.

I think I said I'd turn it into a Blog, so it can be found easier. I'll add it to the list. ;)

Numerous players have contributed pearls of Omaha wisdom on this Thread, & without exception, it's all useful.

If you want to grasp Omaha basics, invest 30 minutes to read this thread. Then fire away with your questions - LOTS of Members are answering them, & I've yet to see a bad answer. (With the possible exception of moi.....)
  • edited January 2010

I was playing an Omaha Tourney last night, & an almighty row went off in the chat box.

An odd hand had played out. One guy had A-A-A-7 (he played a hand with THREE ACES IN IT! - that's not, err, "optimal"). The other guy had a proper hand. Both of them had ONE CLUB in their hand.

The board came FIVE Clubs. One thought he had the flush, the other thought he had the K flush.

Both were wrong, of course.

There is nothing more interesting & thought provoking than Pot Limit Omaha, it's seriously skilful. But you MUST know the basics.

I hope you'll re-read this Thread, it contains nothing but gems of Omaha wisdom.

As a "quick-fix" alternative, try reading Talon's Blog - it's here.....

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_blog&plckBlogId=Blog:3cd67b29-9459-4d3e-ad5e-b60a25474231

Until you learn Omaha, you don't know the fun you are missing out on!

By the bye, at 7.15pm tonight, there is a Bounty Hunter Omaha Tourney. £5.75, & a bundle of fun that'll be.

EDITED @ 17.23, 5/01/10