You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS

124»

Comments

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS:
    I was playing an Omaha Tourney last night, & an almighty row went off in the chat box. An odd hand had played out. One guy had A-A-A-7 (he played a hand with THREE ACES IN IT! - that's not, err, "optimal"). The other guy had a proper hand. Both of them had ONE CLUB in their hand. The board came FIVE Clubs. One thought he had the flush, the other thought he had the K flush. Both were wrong, of course. There is nothing more interesting & thought provoking than Pot Limit Omaha, it's seriously skilful. But you MUST know the basics. I hope you'll re-read this Thread, it contains nothing but gems of Omaha wisdom. As a "quick-fix" alternative, try reading Talon's Blog - it's here..... https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_blog&plckBlogId=Blog:3cd67b29-9459-4d3e-ad5e-b60a25474231 Until you learn Omaha, you don't know the fun you are missing out on! By the bye, at 7.15pm tonight, there is a Bounty Hunter Omaha Tourney. £5.50, & a bundle of fun that'll be.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony,
    Surely in this case the guy with the ace of clubs wins as he has the ace kicker lol

col
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : Hi Tony, Surely in this case the guy with the ace of clubs wins as he has the ace kicker lol col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    He really thought that was the case. Some might mock, but I thought it was really rather sad.

It's our job to help educate & inform, & when that happens, we've failed. Hence I've made several Links to this thread, & Talon's blog, today.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : He really thought that was the case. Some might mock, but I thought it was really rather sad. It's our job to help educate & inform, & when that happens, we've failed. Hence I've made several Links to this thread, & Talon's blog, today.
    Posted by Tikay10
    honestly, i only put that for a joke
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hints & Tips for COMPLETE BEGINNERS : honestly, i only put that for a joke
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Lol, I know Col - but you'd be amazed at how many can't grasp this "you must use 2 cards" bit.

I think - I hope - I highlighted that problem very early in the Thread.
  • edited January 2010
    i hate people saying A,A ,BLANK ,BLANK IS A BAD HAND u are very aggresive in the hand preflop minamise it to 1 oppenent and your still in good shape as the hand ur playing against will normally have a pair to according to the preflop aggression so saying AA BLANK BLANK is a bad hand is stupid really
    but if u have AAA BLank u just fold as there is only 1 case ace in the pack to hit
    akak is the best hand in omaha preflop

ive played alot of omaha on pokerstars ive won 2 tournaments a 4 doller and a 16 doller 1
    heads up matches are a great way to play omaha and you will pick up the game quicker
    the game can change on every street so getting you money in strong is all you can do

• edited January 2010
    and say if u have akqj and the cards come a,a,10,10,3 byou have 3 ov a kind aces with k 10 kickers not the full house
  • edited January 2010
    i hate people saying A,A ,BLANK ,BLANK IS A BAD HAND u are very aggresive in the hand preflop minamise it to 1 oppenent and your still in good shape as the hand ur playing against will normally have a pair to according to the preflop aggression so saying AA BLANK BLANK is a bad hand is stupid really but if u have AAA BLank u just fold as there is only 1 case ace in the pack to hit akak is the best hand in omaha preflop ive played alot of omaha on pokerstars ive won 2 tournaments a 4 doller and a 16 doller 1 heads up matches are a great way to play omaha and you will pick up the game quicker the game can change on every street so getting you money in strong is all you can do
    Posted by timebomb10
    It's neither good nor bad in my personal opinion, even assuming you can get it H-U.

As an example, A-A-6-2 (no suits) v Q-J-T-9 (Double-Suited) would be a very slight favourite, effectively a flip. (Slightly worse than 51%-49%).

Against more than one Oppo, I'm insta-mucking, as it plays dreadfully bad multi-way.
  • edited January 2010
    i hate people saying A,A ,BLANK ,BLANK IS A BAD HAND u are very aggresive in the hand preflop minamise it to 1 oppenent and your still in good shape as the hand ur playing against will normally have a pair to according to the preflop aggression so saying AA BLANK BLANK is a bad hand is stupid really but if u have AAA BLank u just fold as there is only 1 case ace in the pack to hit akak is the best hand in omaha preflop ive played alot of omaha on pokerstars ive won 2 tournaments a 4 doller and a 16 doller 1 heads up matches are a great way to play omaha and you will pick up the game quicker the game can change on every street so getting you money in strong is all you can do
    Posted by timebomb10
    Hi Timebomb,
    In some respects i agree with you, but you are only ahead preflop, and if you are playing Pot Limit Omaha, then it can be difficult to get people to fold preflop, unless you are last to act. Plus imo, most people raising preflop do give their hand away, ie big pairs.
    It is better to have some secondary way of winning the hand because if, on the flop it comes 8,9,10 same suit, your pair of aces are well behind any 6,7 j,q or any to cards of the same suit even the poxy 2,3. As this is mainly a drawing game, it can easliy become the correct thing to fold a pair of aces post flop.
    Just my observation, but a good discussion point.

col
  • edited January 2010
    but you bet very aggressivly preflop to minimize opposition and the double suited should fold without hesitation in a 6 seated table but obviously after the flop is show its differant people shouldnt get drawn into the hands and thinking aa is guna be strong i would play any pairs in my hand depending on the preflop aggresion and hope to hit if u miss u see what your drawing on and make the discion after the flops shown best advice i can give with a pair in your hand
  • edited January 2010
    but you bet very aggressivly preflop to minimize opposition and the double suited should fold without hesitation in a 6 seated table but obviously after the flop is show its differant people shouldnt get drawn into the hands and thinking aa is guna be strong i would play any pairs in my hand depending on the preflop aggresion and hope to hit if u miss u see what your drawing on and make the discion after the flops shown best advice i can give with a pair in your hand
    Posted by timebomb10
    Yep, i see where your coming from, but it is dependant on blind sizes. On 6 seater table, blinds at 10/20, its difficult to get people off hands pre flop(pot limit).
    Imo, one of the best skills is not to get attached to a hand, but try and assess the board.
    i like this post m8
    col
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by timebomb10
    I am NEVER folding Q-J-T-9 Double-Suited to pre-flop betting - remember it's Pot Limit, so there's a limit to their muscle. The betting will also tell me my Oppo probably has Aces - so even a 2 pair or a full wrap on the flop is likely to be good.

And if the best price I can get pre-flop with A-A-rag-rag is 51%-49%, well I can get that by Betting High/Low, Odd/Even or Red/Black on a Roulette Table! It's a flip, & I value my Tourney Life a lot more than that.

Hands that can improve are key. We need "extensions" every time. One pair will win around 10% of the time. Or lose 90% of the time.

Imagine the 6 two-card holdings you have in 4 Card Omaha. A-A-6-2 is ONE hand. You need 3, ideally, or even better, no danglers at all, to really go to war. Q-J-T-9 DS is at least 4 hands - that'll be my selection!

But we all play different - thank goodness!

For beginners - to whom this thread is aimed - I really cannot encourage them to go to war with 1 pair.
  • edited January 2010
    1 pair preflop is better then nothing and as i said minimise the opposition  preflop and see the outcome on the flop i stated dont get to attached with your pairs as each street brings sumthing diffeant ie drawing hands .
    q-j-T-9 what does DS stand for if it stands for dimonds = instant fold lol

even in pot limit the pot preflop can get big so its best to have a hand rather then hoping to hit the flop
    anywayz not critasizing just a point of view and its done me well in tournaments

• edited January 2010
    1 pair preflop is better then nothing and as i said minimise the opposition  preflop and see the outcome on the flop i stated dont get to attached with your pairs as each street brings sumthing diffeant ie drawing hands . q-j-T-9 what does DS stand for if it stands for dimonds = instant fold lol even in pot limit the pot preflop can get big so its best to have a hand rather then hoping to hit the flop anywayz not critasizing just a point of view and its done me well in tournaments
    Posted by timebomb10
    "DS" is standard Omaha speak for "Double-Suited". DS is a prime starting hand criteria in Omaha. So, DS Aces are worth going to war with. Aces NS (NS = "no suits", i.e., rainbow) are not.

With respect, one pair pre-flop should be mucked, unless it "works with" the rest of the hand - say J-T-T-9 DS.
  • edited January 2010
    never heard DS on any other website but then why would i.
    ok i think i wont post in this box as it is for begginers
    and i have played omaha for about a year now and have won some toughfields online
    keep up the advice for begginers anywayz been good 2 chat
  • edited January 2010
    never heard DS on any other website but then why would i. ok i think i wont post in this box as it is for begginers and i have played omaha for about a year now and have won some toughfields online keep up the advice for begginers anywayz been good 2 chat
    Posted by timebomb10
    Yes, Good Luck Sir.

I appreciate your understanding - we really need this thread for open-source learning, so that newbies to Omaha don't make the usual basic errors that players migrating from Hold 'Em always do - for instance, thinking one pair is any good. 

We have a lot of excellent Omaha players here, & they are working with the newbies to improve their grasp of Omaha basics.  It's a terrific Community-Builder, the way it's working.

I know you are deeply experienced, but you could do a lot worse than read the excellent Omaha Blog by Talon. I'll find a Link to it if you are interested in improving your Omaha play, or understanding the basic terminology.
  • edited January 2010

Timebomb - please remove that Link immediately, it's non-compliant.

(Otherwise the Mods will be on your case big time).

Thanks.
  • edited January 2010
    sorry. didnt realise i did anything wrong but i gess it could of been spam or anything should i copy and paste it in to help people
  • edited January 2010
    sorry. didnt realise i did anything wrong but i gess it could of been spam or anything should i copy and paste it in to help people
    Posted by timebomb10
    No worries. Links to sites riddled with affiliate Links are not permitted - obviously!

Best not to C & P stuff from other sites on here, either, please. All our Forum Content is original.

But thank you for the offer.

There is - as you mentioned earlier - oodles of good, original, Omaha advice on here, & it's specifically geared to our players & Community.
  • edited January 2010
     High Only Hi-Lo will be introduced quite soon, but it makes no sense to introduce it right now, until most of our players get used to Omaha. Split Pot games - such as Hi-Lo - take some getting used to, & it would be too much all in one go imo.
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi,

Are you all used to Omaha Hi yet? If so Is there any news on when Hi-Lo will arrive? thanks..
  • edited January 2010
    Just a little something to add to this thread about three annotations you might come across when reading Omaha posts/articles.
    DS/Double SuitedAs Tikay says, DS stands for 'double suited'. This is a lovely, LOVELY, thing in Omaha. It means you hold two possible flush draws. Triple suited however is not as good. Why? Because you can only use two and having a third one in your hand is a waste - we'd rather have that extra out in the deck, not in our hand.
    Wrap Draws:A wrap draw is something you might hear about from time to time, and again it's lovely when you get one. There are a couple of types of wrap draws. . When you are playing poker, imagine your Omaha hand contains a 6,7 and 8. The flop comes 59x. You can make a straight with any of the three cards you hold, a 6,7 or 8. That gives you 9 outs, one more than an open-ended straight draw.
    The best type of wrap draw is when the straight cards on board have one gap or are connected. For example, imagine the board shows 9Jx. If you have 8TQ in your hand, a 7,8,T,Q or K will make your draw. Here you have 17 outs! There are four 7s and four Ks, as well as three 8s, Ts and Qs that make your straight.
    ccxx?Sometimes you might see players describing their starting hand as AKJTcc or T876hh. They are telling you they had a single suited hand - clubs in the first example, hearts in the second. It's basically a way of showing which suit they had in their hand and how many of them there were. That example we mentioned about having the third suited card in their hand? You've guessed it - that would be AKJTccc. Shame, we'd much rather that was in the pack too.

• edited February 2010
    been playing omaho scince it began only play d.y.m. games low stakes one pound pot limit great game more so for a geriatric like me got to keep thinking. this month feb.decidedto try and reach 500{or more}league points using only low stakes omaho looking very good at the moment.without being egotistical is this a good strike rate?  p.s.about the wee ditty tikay only a bit of fun