You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

OMAHA HI/LO LEAGUE PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU FANCY PLAYING.

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat

A few random thoughts about this.

Firstly it needs to be done on a non-show night and not against anything remotely similar.
 I think that the DTD has got it perfect with buyins etc so it should reflect this and be run in a similar way.

i dont personally like the idea of mixing the games on the night because of the confusion that can arise by playing both disciplines simultaneously. But changing from week to week could work.

Low buyins are the way to go to allow inexperienced players the chance to dip their toes in without too much risk.

And if you can get this up and running would gladly offer my help to you

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Please leave a comment if you fancy playing in this so i can add your name too the list we have so far!
    A few people who have declared an interest on here thank you everyone that has shown an interest..
    AMARIE
    OLDENGLISH
    WACKO90
    FCHD

ENUT
    GERALDIRL
    ICE TIGER
    HITMAN RV
    MACACGIRL
    TIKAY
    BBMIKE
    POMFRITTES
    TALON
    VESPAPX
    67BHOYS

AJMILTON

GLENELQ
    CHURCHY18

will sort the rest out later a bit busy the now.

what if it was set up three games in 1 night somthing like this. think the second option would get more players but would sky alter change the schedule?

why not have 1 night a week/month a omaha hi/lo night. have the 7.25 game but make it a 3.30 instead of the 5.50 so u can have a wee run of games like this ...

7.25 £3.30 buy in total buy in £9.90
    7.50 £1.10 buy in
    8.25 £5.50 buy in .....this is one not sure if many of the £1.10 regulars would play not many do the now. and i know sky wont alter the £100gtd game but what about the 9.20 £1.10 game and make that a £2.20 buy in so it would be this set of games..

7.25 £3.30 buy in total buy in £6.60
    7.50 £1.10 buy in
    9.20 £2.20 buy in ...think that would get more runners.as it would suit more bankrolls.the only problem is the time gap in starting times would be better if the 9.20 was closer too say a 8.30 kick off and you must enter all three

Have a small prize for the weekly winner nothing big say entry too the £100 gtd game then a £3.30 ticket and a £2.20 ticket for 2nd and 3rd not much cost too sky and maybe have a small jackpot prize if you win the 3 games on the night.

then a couple of prizes for the top three/five every month/year if it takes off/ keeps going .think this would easilly get 30/40 runners too start and with some pushing and promoting could probably get more

just looking for some thoughts and feedback cheers..... churchy18

• edited December 2014
    Thanks Brian Great Work!!!
  • edited December 2014
    Hi-Lo 2nd option for me.
    Maybe change the 9:20 to a bit earlier... 8:30 ?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: OMAHA OR OMAHA HI/LO?:
     A few random thoughts about this.  Firstly it needs to be done on a non-show night and not against anything remotely similar.  I think that the DTD has got it perfect with buyins etc so it should reflect this and be run in a similar way.  i dont personally like the idea of mixing the games on the night because of the confusion that can arise by playing both disciplines simultaneously. But changing from week to week could work.  Low buyins are the way to go to allow inexperienced players the chance to dip their toes in without too much risk.  And if you can get this up and running would gladly offer my help to you
    Posted by Talon
    Great Talon.

This just spun out of a Convo between Me & brian in FOSP FB Group, few seem Very Keen, so bear with us, we shall give it a go.

Brian Churchy18, will be League Manager, I will help, but im useless at PLO8, but want to learn when i got time.

Such an Experianced PLO/PLO8 player & forum Legend as Yourself, Talon, we would love you to help, any further suggestions pls post up...
    & Icon, Macagirl1, Karen too if she is free before Travelling!!

Lets DO THIS!!

Lifes too short not to be Positive & Try Stuff!
  • edited December 2014

This up and running would give us the opportunity to do the 2 things that this forum does best.

The forum run competitions, and the chance to educate and help people.

With low buyins we can get new players to give them a try. And i am sure that there will be enough more experienced players around willing to offer help and advice.
  • edited December 2014
     This up and running would give us the opportunity to do the 2 things that this forum does best.  The forum run competitions, and the chance to educate and help people.  With low buyins we can get new players to give them a try. And i am sure that there will be enough more experienced players around willing to offer help and advice.
    Posted by Talon
    Well Said Sir!!

When up & running, how does the Respected Position of 'FOSP PLO Hilo League Mentor' Sound??

....Its Yours if you want, lol, all about a bit of Fun & Learming, thanks for your Support already!!
  • edited December 2014

Hi Brian, it will not surprise you to hear that I voted for the PLO8(Hi-Lo).

The buy ins in line with the DTD would attract players to the game, but I reckon we would need to also try and help an understanding of PLO8 for novice players, who would obviously struggle initially, as indeed I did.

You obviously want players to try it, and more importantly, enjoy it as we who play it do.  I would therefore suggest that we, who have played for more than a few years, make ourselves available to answer any questions that players wanting to try PLO8 may have.

I think it is a great game, with a lot more subtleties than Holdem, but I know it can be a hard game to get to grips with.

• edited December 2014
    thanks for the replie's so far..

Talon seems like you think the same as me the lower set of buy ins would work better number wise also have said on facebook monday is a no. no point having it on dtd night. also agree no point mixing it think thats why  the current fosp game does not get the numbers through playing both variants. think probably between these nights thursday-sunday? thoughts.

Good stuff Bhoy i agree some people may need some help i will always try help people with the basics if they reg  for games by mistake and so do others and am sure tikay would not mind me pointing people too his diary or reusing some of his posts r.e starting hands and so on too help others out as well and then there is the poker clinic where im sure some of the better players could maybe post a hand or 2 and try build up some more basic stuff on that as well too help people out.

could also put a few links together for basic starting hands and strategy most of which is on here any way.
  • edited December 2014
    Couple of Possible PLO8 regs in FOSP FB Group would prefer Thursdays to Sundays it seems, IceTiger one of them
  • edited December 2014
    Couple of Possible PLO8 regs in FOSP FB Group would prefer Thursdays to Sundays it seems, IceTiger one of them
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

Im not playing

Beats me up every time !!
  • edited December 2014

Thinking about best night for it. 

Only really have a small choice. 

Best not to clash with live show or dtd( both would dent potential figures)

So we have wed fri or sat

Middle of the week anonimity or the 2 main drinking nights
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    thursday or sunday seem the best two choices but feel thursday would have an edge over the sunday
  • edited December 2014
     Thinking about best night for it.   Only really have a small choice.  Best not to clash with live show or dtd( both would dent potential figures)  So we have wed fri or sat Middle of the week anonimity or the 2 main drinking nights
    Posted by Talon

Hi Mate, just curious, why is clash with Live show a possible issue??
    Can't figure, but i can be very dumb admittedly, lol
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: OMAHA OR OMAHA HI/LO? : Hi Mate, just curious, why is clash with Live show a possible issue?? Can't figure, but i can be very dumb admittedly, lol
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Obv not seen who's on Sunday !

https://twitter.com/Platinum_kell
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: OMAHA OR OMAHA HI/LO? : Obv not seen who's on Sunday ! https://twitter.com/Platinum_kell
    Posted by VespaPX
    thursdays it is then i reckon, LOL!!!

I Wonder if Tony K would consider playing or having some input??

OR IF SKY Poker could put in some extra added value to help Kick this Off..?

ANYONE LISTENING????
  • edited December 2014
    Great idea and I will try and play if I can. My problem is/has always been work, as I don't know week to week what evening(s) I have free.

I would prefer the first format as it would end earlier and has a slightly higher buy in. I don't suppose there is any chance of a higher buy in event, £11 or even £22 if this catches on?

p.s. looks like the tables may be deserted on Sunday evening if all the male players are watching the show!
  • edited December 2014
    I am sure Tikay would play if he can, especially if we all promise not to talk about food and Christmas in the chatbox.

• edited December 2014
    Not really a fan of tourneys but Im a fan of those trying to organise this so I will support it as best I can.

Ger

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: OMAHA OR OMAHA HI/LO? : Obv not seen who's on Sunday ! https://twitter.com/Platinum_kell
    Posted by VespaPX
    carry on at this rate you will have a hernia!

will ask tikay later have sent him a pm with the idea see how it goes.

Not sure about a bigger buy in enut think it would struggle for more than 10 have seen the £5.50 £100gtd only get 13 runners  but never know what will happen
  • edited December 2014
    thanks Enut, geraldirl!!
    its gonna be fun
  • edited December 2014

Nice 1 MR. Churchy, PLO8 please,  Low buy-ins to match DTD and i think Tuesdays would work. The O'mahartigan
       league used to run on Tuesdays and got decent turnouts. But any night will do for me.
  • edited December 2014
    I would support. GL.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: OMAHA OR OMAHA HI/LO? : Hi Mate, just curious, why is clash with Live show a possible issue?? Can't figure, but i can be very dumb admittedly, lol
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
     Reasoning is quite simple really. On a show night the main focus on the threads will be NLHE especially with the live show going out being all NLHE.

By doing it on the night after a show then not only are they not forum competing but also gives us a chance to get onto the show thread to advertise and promote the comp. Show advertising to maximise our efforts. Hitting the forum users and the show watchers
  • edited December 2014
    Too be fair no matter what night there is going too be some other event be it on tv or the bigger tournaments that some will play
    Monday is a non starter -dtd night
    Tuseday turbo/football night
    Wedensday rebuy/football
    Thursday b/hunter minor football night
    Friday drinking night
    Saturday hungover/drinking again
    Sunday has the super roller

For me it looks like a choice of sunday or thursday and so far most seem too prefer the thursday and thats the one i would go for but wait and see if we get some more comments

thanks also all who have replied/voted and said they would play all the best churchy18
  • edited December 2014

Hi Brian,

Good stuff.

Whatever night you eventually choose, I'll do my best both to play it, & support it.

I really don't mind how the evenings are structured as long as we can have a bit of fun & bants.

My only caveat is that under no circumstances should the evenings be "Both". It has to be one, or the other, or even alternate. If we are going to try to convert new players to the 4 card game, playing "both" would be a disaster.

• edited December 2014
    Posted by VespaPX
    In true pantomine style.....

"Oh no she's not"

She may well appear on Ch 861 in the New Year though.
  • edited December 2014

If it helps to promote the game, I'll play (in the loosest sense of the word!) them until we move.
    Good luck with it!

• edited December 2014
    Hi Brian, Good stuff. Whatever night you eventually choose, I'll do my best both to play it, & support it.   I really don't mind how the evenings are structured as long as we can have a bit of fun & bants. My only caveat is that under no circumstances should the evenings be "Both". It has to be one, or the other, or even alternate. If we are going to try to convert new players to the 4 card game, playing "both" would be a disaster.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    thanks tikay totally agree its just hi/lo more likely too get the numbers think it will be quite good so far some good  players going too play think the thursday still seems best bet and i think even if it doesn't last at least we tried but i think it will do ok

That would be great macacgirl and thanks all for the replies hopefully we can get the FOSP hi/lo league up and running sometime soon ..all the best Brian
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: OMAHA OR OMAHA HI/LO? :  Reasoning is quite simple really. On a show night the main focus on the threads will be NLHE especially with the live show going out being all NLHE.  By doing it on the night after a show then not only are they not forum competing but also gives us a chance to get onto the show thread to advertise and promote the comp. Show advertising to maximise our efforts. Hitting the forum users and the show watchers
    Posted by Talon
    Reasoning seems Reasonable, TY Sir!!
  • edited December 2014
    thursday night entrants

7.50 got 35   £1.10
    9.20 got 37   £1.10
    8.25 got 21   £5.50

friday night

7.50 got  39   £1.10
    9.20 got  40   £1.10
    8.25 got  20   £5.50
    10.25 got 30  £3.30