You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Blocked stats on sharkscope

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat

Interesting question - why do people block them?

Too good, or too bad, or something else?

Comments

• edited December 2014

Or a bot perhaps? Would have 'interesting' stats.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Blocked stats on sharkscope:
    Interesting question - why do people block them? Too good, or too bad, or something else?
    Posted by swanstu
    Almost always 1 of the above.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope:
    In Response to Blocked stats on sharkscope : Almost always 1 of the above.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Guess should refuse to play anyone who blocks them.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope : Guess should refuse to play anyone who blocks them.
    Posted by swanstu
    Why? 

Given that there are almost 10x more big losing players than big winning players, it would make sense to try and play them as much as possible?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope : Why?  Given that there are almost 10x more big losing players than big winning players, it would make sense to try and play them as much as possible?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    How do you know that, if I can ask?

Would have though makes more sense for a shark to block them, so people don't run away.
  • edited December 2014
    In my experience they tend to be bad regs. Or people who see themselves as regs, but only want to play people who have only just learned that a flush beats a straight. Nearly every player who has whinged about being sat has been "reg" with blocked stats.

Recreationals tend not to care who they play, good players might scope their opponents pregame.

No doubt very good players block stats for action purposes,  but bad players do too

Unfortunately people sometimes use scope to make fun of peoples losses, and that leads to losing players blocking stats too.
  • edited December 2014
    I block mine for pure privacy reasons.
    I mean would you post your bank account on-line for all to see?
    Also keeps people guessing but i'm not sure that i get scoped in the games i play.
  • edited December 2014

If I see a player with stats blocked I would simply not play them, as all information is useful. With blocked stats you have no information at all.
  • edited December 2014
    If I see a player with stats blocked I would simply not play them, as all information is useful. With blocked stats you have no information at all.
    Posted by swanstu
    Er... really?
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by swanstu
    Is your name Kermit?
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by swanstu
    What would you do in "Live" poker?

FWIW, in my experience, the majority of players with Blocked SS Stats are not winners.

When we sit at a table in, say, a DYM or Cash Game, we generally know within 2 Orbits whether they are winners or losers. That's part of the skill in poker, recognizing who is good, & who is not so good. We don't need SS to tell us that, we can learn almost immediately by observation.

• edited December 2014

Ok, should rephrase that - not no information, but no information about their relative strength/profile (unless I'd played them before of course).

Either way, it's a reduction in information about an opponent - never good in Poker is it?
  • edited December 2014
    Ok, should rephrase that - not no information, but no information about their relative strength/profile (unless I'd played them before of course). Either way, it's a reduction in information about an opponent - never good in Poker is it?
    Posted by swanstu
    I promise you Swan, watch ANY player for 2 orbits & you should know straight away if they are any good or not.

The good ones stand out a mile. So do the bad ones.
  • edited December 2014
    Ok, should rephrase that - not no information, but no information about their relative strength/profile (unless I'd played them before of course). Either way, it's a reduction in information about an opponent - never good in Poker is it?
    Posted by swanstu
    Well you could also say that about HUD's & the like - but imo, they are a BAD thing, & Sky Poker do not permit them. Many players prefer it that way.

You can't FORCE folks do make their stats available.

Anyway, you have to do what you think is right Swan, good luck bud.

• edited December 2014
    Hi Stu, good original question. 

Personally I'd say its a 50/50 split of good and bad, The sharks want action and the fish dont want people at their tablr giving them stick (which I hate and is totally out of order). I do agree with Tikay though about being able to identify either after a few orbits. 

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope : always got somthing to say that (TRY) makes people look stupid do you work for sky or can you not take your h... out of there a...
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    What's your point?

I was wondering how (and even, why) the poster could/would refuse to play said individuals, unless they were heads up.

In an MTT, SNG, or a six-max or full ring cash game it's pretty hard not to play one particular person, don't you think?

It ain't me who's trying to make him look stupid.
  • edited December 2014
    Not all of us that block out our stats are losing players some of us have very difficult xwives for example :)
  • edited December 2014
    In my opinion very few big, big winners will block their stats purely for egotistical reasons, they want people to see how good they are, the fish will still play them and the smaller time pros will give them a miss. perfect.
  • edited August 2015

Just thought I'd add to this, and some good issues above thanks.

Also, what about players who don't seem to show at all on sharkscope - not meaning blocked, but they don't appear at all, and many of these are very regular players?

It doesn't seem to be 'opted out' either, as that option shows up, I believe as simply 'opted out'.
  • edited August 2015
    Just thought I'd add to this, and some good issues above thanks. Also, what about players who don't seem to show at all on sharkscope - not meaning blocked, but they don't appear at all, and many of these are very regular players? It doesn't seem to be 'opted out' either, as that option shows up, I believe as simply 'opted out'.
    Posted by swanstu
    They may be players who only play cash games. Sharkscope only covers MTT's & SNG's.

I can't think of many situations where a player who plays MTT's or SNG's is not on Sharkscope. In fact I don't ever recall seeing it. That's certainly the case with Sky Poker players. Some are locked, but they are all on there.

Just to repeat what I have posted before, but Sky Poker do not give ANY information to Sharkscope, Sharkscope simply take it.

• edited August 2015
    Not all of us that block out our stats are losing players some of us have very difficult xwives for example :)
    Posted by MRBURNS4
    :)
  • edited August 2015
    Any player who has ever played a mtt or sng on here will show up on scope.
    Have you typed in their alias correctly?
  • edited August 2015
    From my experience, most players with blocked stats or reset stats are losing players who like to think they are winning players.

When I find a player with reset stats, I revisit them regularly (if I play them) and I find that they reset their stats each times their losses hit a big enough level.

Ego again?
  • edited August 2015
    Any player who has ever played a mtt or sng on here will show up on scope. Have you typed in their alias correctly?
    Posted by Jac35
    That's very often the cause. The name needs to be typed in exactly right. Upper case & lower case does not matter, but hyphens & underscores have to be correct. Sky-Fred is different to Sky_Fred.

I've never seen SS "miss" a player.
  • edited August 2015
    Its not well known.

Sharkscope was an idea of the aboriginal American Indians. North America.

They used to watch the American pioneers play poker in saloons and used to take notes on the quiet. Pretending to
    be drunk on whisky ( which lead to their downfall).

When the Indians were drunk. The locals would load the indians onto pack horses and sent them off
    to their reservations. Thats where thr name sharkscope comes from, its an anagram of Packhorses

• edited August 2015
    Its not well known. Sharkscope was an idea of the aboriginal American Indians. North America. They used to watch the American pioneers play poker in saloons and used to take notes on the quiet. Pretending to be drunk on whisky ( which lead to their downfall). When the Indians were drunk. The locals would load the indians onto pack horses and sent them off to their reservations. Thats where thr name sharkscope comes from, its an anagram of Packhorses
    Posted by mumsie
    Bill Tush.
  • edited August 2015
    Its not well known. Sharkscope was an idea of the aboriginal American Indians. North America. They used to watch the American pioneers play poker in saloons and used to take notes on the quiet. Pretending to be drunk on whisky ( which lead to their downfall). When the Indians were drunk. The locals would load the indians onto pack horses and sent them off to their reservations. Thats where thr name sharkscope comes from, its an anagram of Packhorses
    Posted by mumsie
    Are you Karen in disguise?
  • edited August 2015
     Bit of truth in there
  • edited August 2015
    From my experience, most players with blocked stats or reset stats are losing players who like to think they are winning players. When I find a player with reset stats, I revisit them regularly (if I play them) and I find that they reset their stats each times their losses hit a big enough level. Ego again?
    Posted by Ice_Tiger

careful with that assumption though
    playing in my latest 50 runner live tourney was a recent Sunday storm winner.
    blocked stats on sharkie
    but easy to spot within 10 mins of actual play 

• edited August 2015
    Yep most players that block their stats are imo losing players.

As Tikay said though you dont need to rely on shark to guage a players strength. In dyms its the players that play every hand that are obviously losing players.

Ger