You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Blocked stats on sharkscope

Comments

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope:
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope : careful with that assumption though playing in my latest 50 runner live tourney was a recent Sunday storm winner. blocked stats on sharkie but easy to spot within 10 mins of actual play 
    Posted by GELDY
    Never use this assumption but it is largely true, as Tikay said.

Far better to watch a dozen hands though.
  • edited August 2015
    it is perfect when a player blocks their stats, because you haven't wasted a search and you've just been told everything you need to know, which you knew anyway or you wouldn't be searching them. You just don't get to see how much they've lost.
  • edited August 2015
    Just thought I'd add to this, and some good issues above thanks. Also, what about players who don't seem to show at all on sharkscope - not meaning blocked, but they don't appear at all, and many of these are very regular players? It doesn't seem to be 'opted out' either, as that option shows up, I believe as simply 'opted out'.
    Posted by swanstu
    This has happened to me before.

There is a poster on here, on since 2009, who just doesn't show up on SS. And I've played him in tournaments so that's not the problem.

No issues with his username either, it doesn't contain any _ or - etc.
  • edited August 2015
    I disagree that a player having their stats blocks means they must be a losing player; a lot of good SNG players that sit tables will block/reset their stats so that people don't search them, see their a big winning player and avoid playing them. Lots of losing players will not have heard of sharkscope either whereas every winning player knows about it.
  • edited August 2015
    I disagree that a player having their stats blocks means they must be a losing player; a lot of good SNG players that sit tables will block/reset their stats so that people don't search them, see their a big winning player and avoid playing them. Lots of losing players will not have heard of sharkscope either whereas every winning player knows about it.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    This ^^^
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Blocked stats on sharkscope:
    Interesting question - why do people block them? Too good, or too bad, or something else?
    Posted by swanstu
    How sad,
    How about players dont want people like you nosing in,
    mind your own business and stop cheating
  • edited August 2015
    How odd that you think it's cheating
  • edited August 2015
    Hardly cheating - which in my book and without googling an official definition is breaking the rules to gain an unfair advantage. 

I dont subscribe to S/S but I know it's there and I know accroding to it I am a losing player on here. Fair enough. Am I bovvered?

Many of the losing recs that block do so probably not so much out of ego, more out of being berated by morons on the chat tables.

It's bad form in itself to do this - rude - and against the rules and can result in a chat ban or other sanctions, quite rightly imo.

Also hard to see the value of potentially alerting one the recs who doesn't use to it to its existence and thereby losing any edge they have.

• edited August 2015
    How odd that you think it's cheating
    Posted by Jac35
    Whats that meant to mean you have somthing to say
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope : Whats that meant to mean you have somthing to say
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    I would like to help. Unfortunately, I really don't understand your post

I'll take an educated guess.
    It meant that I thought it was odd that you considered it to be cheating. That was what I had to say
  • edited August 2015
    For starters i have never agreed with sharkscope you cant use in real life so its a program for cyber poker that allows players to find opponents that are weak to play against.
    I wonder why does a poker client allow this info to get used by SS and can it be stopped ( member of the sky team please answer that).
    Like someone else mentioned on this thread earlier you would notwant people looking into your bank like that i know i wouldnt.
    I have seen people get abused in a freeroll about there finance how sad if you think your that good then you should never need SS,  Also where does it stop, What form of cheating will be next what we will be able to see other players cardsor theriver b4 it comes out
  • edited August 2015
    For starters i have never agreed with sharkscope you cant use in real life so its a program for cyber poker that allows players to find opponents that are weak to play against. I wonder why does a poker client allow this info to get used by SS and can it be stopped ( member of the sky team please answer that). Like someone else mentioned on this thread earlier you would notwant people looking into your bank like that i know i wouldnt. I have seen people get abused in a freeroll about there finance how sad if you think your that good then you should never need SS,  Also where does it stop, What form of cheating will be next what we will be able to see other players cardsor theriver b4 it comes out
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Hi Turk,

To be clear, it is not "cheating" as it is within the rules.

Also, it is not - generally - used in the manner described, as it only works in MTT's & SNG's. So players tend to "look them up" on SS AFTER they find themselves sharing tables, rather than as a means to select weak opponents.

There is no excuse for abusing players based on their SS stats. SS don't permit that, nor do Sky Poker. If you see it, report it, & offenders may lose their chat rights.

Anyone can block their SS stats, they don't need to be a member to do it, just go to SS & "Options", it is all there.

Why do Sky Poker "allow" it? They don't, as such, but short of really complicated legal battles, it is very hard to stop. SS TAKE the data, Sky Poker (& other sites) do not "give it to them".  SS then re-bundle it, collate it & sell it. It's my understanding that Sky Poker are not much keen on what SS do, but there's not really much they can do to prevent it. A complex legal issue, & I suppose it could be resolved, but all in all, its not deemed to be that big an issue meriting all the legal kerfuffle. 

I would, personally, strongly advise anyone who is uncomfy with SS displaying their stats to "opt out", it's completely free, & takes just a few seconds.

• edited August 2015

You can definitely use sharkscope in real life :D
  • edited August 2015
    I opted out the day i heard about it.

so sky poker does not agree but you say it is in the rules.
    @ taken out if em.
    If it has no use then why does these players moan that they cannot see a blocked player why because there so addicted to knowing peoples business its wrong watever way you look at it.

With all due respect
  • edited August 2015
    However distasteful it may seem to some all Sharkscope are really doing is collating the results of games that are open to anybody to enter and played out in a public arena. Then selling the information to those who want it. The easy opt out is there for those who want to be excluded, even though the alias you play under reveals absolutely nothing about your real identity.

Let's take it further. Should a football team be given the right to have their previous results kept secret and demand that their opponents aren't allowed to see the latest league table before they play a match?

How far do you take the right to keep competition that happens in public a secret? Where do you draw the line?

Personally I have no problem with Sharkscope. It's a useful tool for a regular tournament player, self analysis being one of the main ones.

All arguments to ban it are shot down in flames by the opt-out imo.
  • edited August 2015
    I opted out the day i heard about it. so sky poker does not agree but you say it is in the rules. @ taken out if em. If it has no use then why does these players moan that they cannot see a blocked player why because there so addicted to knowing peoples business its wrong watever way you look at it. With all due respect
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Hi Turk,

That's a little unfair, I certainly never said or implied that.

It is a useful tool when used properly. It is true some people use it maliciously, to mock others. It's a small percentage, but as I noted earlier, that is against the rules of both SS & Sky Poker. If you see such examples, you should report them to Sky Poker who will take the appropriate action.

I can't speak for those who, in your words, "moan when they cannot see a blocked player", but I've rarely seen such complaints myself. You will need to address that to those guys. 

SS is, in reality, replicated in the "Live" scene, by THM (The Hendon Mob) or, as it is now named, GPI, or Global Poker Index. Same thing, anyone who cashes in a notable Live Event goes on their Database. But, as with SS, you CAN opt out, & many do.

In both cases, players CAN opt out if they wish. That's the key point.

• edited August 2015
    I must admit that I will look up a player who sits and complains about how others are playing and most of the time they are in the red :) Funny when you chat to them and they tell you about how many thousands they have made here lol
  • edited August 2015
    Scope is a very useful tool.

Baffled that anyone could think its a form of cheating. If you don't want your stats out there for all to see then just block yourself.

It's also fun to catch people out telling porky pies.
  • edited August 2015
    MR tikay i meant no harm how ever you took that message and i appologise if i said somthing out of line im not great with words and i mean to write only as if we are having a discussion please dont take any offence i am not that kind of person but do have a bad opinion on SS because i was one of those people who was started on by a player once.

Turk
  • edited August 2015
    MR tikay i meant no harm how ever you took that message and i appologise if i said somthing out of line im not great with words and i mean to write only as if we are having a discussion please dont take any offence i am not that kind of person but do have a bad opinion on SS because i was one of those people who was started on by a player once. Turk
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Don't worry, abso no offence taken at all Turk, we are having a good discussion.

Everything is cool, you & me are like......

• edited August 2015
    hahahah   nice picture i will use as my wallpaper  actually   my avatar.
  • edited August 2015
    Heres one for sharkscope i won the 1k bh last night   :))))))))))))))))))

Shame i went straight to bed after i thought i might see it on the tournament results thread but its no,
    Does anyone know where i could see the lobby page like the results thread shows????
    Thanx
  • edited August 2015
    If you go to 'My Tables' you might still find it there. Think Tournaments and SNG's sit around in there for 24 hours after the finish.
  • edited August 2015
    Indeed it is well thank you very much i cannot believe its still on my tables thanx bro.
  • edited August 2015
    I was playing a tourney tother day, got berated ( no change there ;) he was then away for a couple hands, came back and politely told me details of my s/scope stats, doesn't bother me one iota. Tbh I have forgotten said details - other things take preference in my top 100 things to care about in life, anyway I'm great me :) 
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Blocked stats on sharkscope : Hope you didn't scope anyone during the course of the tournament. Cos that would be cheating.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You can take the mick all you like my friend but i still do not agree with sharkscope will never use it and i hope it gets banned, I got asked in a tourney last night AGAIN why is my stats blocked..
    @ felt like it, Get a Life
    Good Luck
  • edited August 2015
    I was playing a tourney tother day, got berated ( no change there ;) he was then away for a couple hands, came back and politely told me details of my s/scope stats, doesn't bother me one iota. Tbh I have forgotten said details - other things take preference in my top 100 things to care about in life, anyway I'm great me :) 
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Yes ive had that done a few times seems to be the craze around here thats why i blocked mine.. see the thing is i like to have my chat on during play but soon as i take sum1s chips there loading up that sad site and telling me about myself......
  • edited June 2017
    Just re-reading this older posting of mine, as I've been considering this question again recently.

Some good postings earlier from many on this thread.

I disagree about blockers being poor players now - I have worse results against those blocked overall (though my own results are rubbish anyway, lol).

My conclusion would be that most blockers are good players hiding (though there will be some poor players doing it too).

So, am avoiding the blockers from here on and will play those open to give up their results, there's enough of those still to play.
  • edited June 2017
    I had my username Marky_Crash on Pokerstars blocked for years.

I done so for many of the reasons mentioned here...

Privacy - I didn't see the need to give away extra info to anyone within or outside of poker. I get that this is a 2 way street within poker and if I am going to look up other people I should then be prepared, at least morally, to let them see mine. However, I do not use HUD's and many people I played against did. This meant they could see all my info at a glance at the table but I could not see theirs.

For profit reasons - If enabling the stats means that people are less likely to sit with you when you are looking for SNG action then it seems a no brainer.

I only unblocked my stats a matter of weeks ago as I had stopped playing there and decided that at some point in the future I may consider live staking to reduce variance if I was playing a lot of events.

It would be interesting to know the percentage mix of reasons as to why people block their stats.

I would imagine more good SNG players would block their stats compared to good MTT players. Simply as table selection is much easier to manipulate in SNG's than MTT's where you are randomly assigned tables.
  • edited June 2017
    Just had a look at mine and you would need to be a philadelphia lawyer to work it out. one thing that scared me was how much I have staked and that's not counting cash.