You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

....and your claim to fame is?

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat

I saw this on RLT's Diary.....

"....I played Australian rules football for Chippenham, England and Britian
....."

....which struck me as pretty cool.

What "Claim to Fame" have YOU got, be it in Sports, Entertainment, Poker, Work, Life generally, anything at all.  

Be great to start 2015 by applauding success, rather than all the moany-woany stuff.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I have assisted football league managers in their bids for compensation following their dismissals.
    I also went to Israel as part of a trade union delegation to visit trade unions/ists across the country as part of this was a visit to the Palestinian TUC in Nablus. After our meeting with the officials of the TUC we were given a tour of Nablus we were treated to a Nablus Sweet which is like a pancake in the market place which was very nice. Then we were shoot at by Fatah gunmen on the back of a truck and had to take refuge in a TV shop of all places. All in a days work ehh. HNY all.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re:....and your claim to fame is?:
    I have assisted football league managers in their bids for compensation following their dismissals. I also went to Israel as part of a trade union delegation to visit trade unions/ists across the country as part of this was a visit to the Palestinian TUC in Nablus. After our meeting with the officials of the TUC we were given a tour of Nablus we were treated to a Nablus Sweet which is like a pancake in the market place which was very nice. Then we were shoot at by Fatah gunmen on the back of a truck and had to take refuge in a TV shop of all places. All in a days work ehh. HNY all.
    Posted by a00rock
    BOOM!

That was EXACTLY the sort of thing I was hoping people would post.

Without giving away more than you want to, in what capacity did you do these things - presumably you are a Trade Union Delegate or somesuch?

Do you find it satisfying to help others, or is it simply a "job"?
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re:....and your claim to fame is? : BOOM! That was EXACTLY the sort of thing I was hoping people would post. Without giving away more than you want to, in what capacity did you do these things - presumably you are a Trade Union Delegate or somesuch? Do you find it satisfying to help others, or is it simply a "job"?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I was a Full Time Trade union Official before I retired/took redundancy in 09. My father was the General Secretary of another (small) TU so it is in the blood so to speak.
    Before that I had been a TU works representative for 18 years in a Steel works. Also an unpaid councillor for the village where I used to live this I enjoyed tremendously I was gutted that I had to give it up and move away when I became a full time TU official. So I have for many years given my time freely and willingly to help others I did get a great deal of satisfaction from this work although it did bring many problems and complications in my personal life lol,
  • edited January 2015
    ... standing on the 5th green at Nigel Mansells 'Woodbury Park Golf Course' with a putt to go 5 under....

which I missed btw.(finished the round..well 9 holes anyway, due to bad light, at 2 under...playing off 9 att.)
    ok it's nothing special but about the best I can come up with this early  lol

• edited January 2015
    I captained the school cricket team in 1971,;) also played chess for the school and rugby.,the old adage jack of all trades master of none springs to mind :)
  • edited January 2015
    I once won a years supply of smarties mini eggs!
  • edited January 2015
    played on the pdc darts pro tour for a couple of years,did beat phil taylor once but also lost 3 times to him,played on sky sports once but straight after I got dartitis so that was end tour  for me,still play now but only super league and county standard.
  • edited January 2015
    played on the pdc darts pro tour for a couple of years,did beat phil taylor once but also lost 3 times to him,played on sky sports once but straight after I got dartitis so that was end tour  for me,still play now but only super league and county standard.
    Posted by mkgunner
    Wow your the man! Got my vote for sky superstar :) did you see the sketch that Mel Smith did on the darts scene? I think rowan Atkinson was in it, could've been not the nine o clock news or alas smith and Jones , back in the 80's, funny as lol,how close to the truth was that back then ,things have certainly changed on the darts scene nowadays,looks like a fantastic time had by all, superb stuff.
  • edited January 2015
    I once won a years supply of smarties mini eggs!
    Posted by mrsduck
    Swap your claim to fame with mine  lol

love the orange ones  -:)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re:....and your claim to fame is? : Wow your the man! Got my vote for sky superstar :)did you see the sketch that Mel Smith did on the darts scene? I think rowan Atkinson was in it, could've been not the nine o clock news or alas smith and Jones , back in the 80's, funny as lol,how close to the truth was that back then ,things have certainly changed on the darts scene nowadays,looks like a fantastic time had by all, superb stuff.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnBppccI0o
  • edited January 2015
    Posted by mkgunner
    Yep..you are tha man...
    can't argue with that... nice 1 well played.
  • edited January 2015
    I'll put one in on behalf of my mum....

On her only days fishing that I can ever remember as a kid, she caught a packet of fish fingers...
    & not just any old fish fingers, 'Birdseye' ones at that...
    still remember it now...aaah the good old days hey  -:)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re:....and your claim to fame is? : Wow your the man! Got my vote for sky superstar :) did you see the sketch that Mel Smith did on the darts scene? I think rowan Atkinson was in it, could've been not the nine o clock news or alas smith and Jones , back in the 80's, funny as lol,how close to the truth was that back then ,things have certainly changed on the darts scene nowadays,looks like a fantastic time had by all, superb stuff.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    very close m8,i still have to have at least 5 pints b4 I get my darts out on a match night.its unbelievable how these youngsters today get up there and throw like they can with no alcohol.
  • edited January 2015
    I beat Steve Davis in a local charity pool tournament, 

and if we are going for obscure, about 5 years ago I ended up playing Keith Flint (The Prodigy) at beer pong before a night out
  • edited January 2015
    Boringly its poker related, but I knocked Dan Coleman and Chris Moorman out of a tournament within 15 mins of each other earlier this year. And ended up sharing a table with Martin Jacobsen and Olivier Busqet in the same tournie. Awesome experience.
  • edited January 2015
    Nothing major but here's a couple:-

I once caught three common carp over 30lb (31lb, 36lb and 38lb) in a day's fishing at a local lake. Won't mean anything to non fishermen but was 10 years ago and was certainly an achievement then.

I've won a few local and club tennis tournaments over the years and am proud to still be playing first team league tennis at the age of 49. I'm also pretty proud of having played and won playing left handed (after shoulder surgery to my right shoulder) for our 3rd team a couple of summers ago in a county league match. Also once won a free lesson from our club coach by beating him up to 10 points, again playing left handed!

Finally, I've been an independent financial adviser for 25 years and in that time I've never miss sold, stitched up, misled, conned or defrauded anybody! Apparently that's quite good going!
  • edited January 2015
    Outside poker I once sold Ken Livingstine a pair of crocodile skin shoes when the Labour Party Conference visited my (then) home town of Harrogate.
  • edited January 2015
    A few years back I was chosen to be the face of Milk and More (Dairy Crest's home delivery service). Images of me have been seen by millions of people in various types of advertising media, including ads placed on the front page of the Sun, The Daily Mail and other national newspapers.

Unrelated to that, my most popular Youtube video has 692,126 views at the last count. Not bad for something I knocked-up on the spur of the moment with no pre-planning.
  • edited January 2015

I've run three marathons (London x2 and NYC) and seven half marathons (The Great North Run). Too old now for any more like that, but still trot along on the treadmill every morning for thirty minutes.
    I ate three boxes of JaffaCakes in a single sitting.
    I once performed CPR on a lamb and revived it after finding it strangled in a fence.

• edited January 2015

This thread is awesome!
  • edited January 2015
    My great granddad was the captain of the first ship at the scene of the Titanic.

I played for York City boys when I was younger, but an ankle problem put paid to any hopes of making football a potential career.

David O'Leary once snubbed a handshake from me. Lanky muppet.
  • edited January 2015

I hit 6 sixes in an over once in the 20th of 20 overs in an under 17s local league game having opened the batting. 

I was only 76* at the end, thats a Boycott to Afridi gear change!

10 years previous my Dad had taken 10 for 22 in an innings, again in local senior league. 

There has been many a debate about which is the superior achievement but as we went on to win the game and his team got skittled for 46 I'm going to be results orientated and claim the win! It must've been a minefield !!!!!

• edited January 2015
    My great granddad was the captain of the first ship at the scene of the Titanic. I played for York City boys when I was younger, but an ankle problem put paid to any hopes of making football a potential career. David O'Leary once snubbed a handshake from me. Lanky muppet.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Raise

I scored the winner for Derby Boys v Borussia Monchengladbach in Osnabruck.
    It was the year after Chernobyl and we had to shower after getting warmed up, at half time and immediately after the final whistle. Not sure that that would have made much difference

I won't suggest that the only reason why I'm not stepping out at The Baseball Ground were ankle problems.
    I just wasn't good enough
  • edited January 2015
    I was a member of the team that won the european bridge championships and gained silver in the world championships many years ago and had dinner with Omar sharif in an Aberdeen Angus steakhouse.  Yes I am probably as old as Tikay lol 
  • edited January 2015
    not realy a clame to fame  but....when i first moved in with my partner i was given an old dining room table and chairs by the outlaws, About 15 years later i was watching some ayrton senna dvd as it fetured a then young ayrton at home (a home he had rented from the outlaws) in reading and it showed him eating his breakfast from the same table, i often wonder how much i would have got on ebay for that table had i not skipped it (fancy not telling me about the prominance of that table)

DM
  • edited January 2015
    Some great stories!

My fav so far has to be mkgunner's, I love darts though so I'm slightly biased. Obv a very good player back in the day to beat Taylor! Any other big scalps during those couple of years mkgunner?
  • edited January 2015
    I am related to Alfred Lord Tennyson the poet.
  • edited January 2015
    Posted by mkgunner
    Wow!!! I doubt this one will be beaten. I got the same problem playing in my local league and had to give up. Once I got rid of my 1st dart, the 2nd and 3rd darts went ok... I just couldn't throw the 1st... Up down, up down, was doing the Hokey Cokey, and very embarrassing. 
  • edited January 2015
    Great thread :) I have a few pretty random claims to fame!  I was on University Challenge many years ago, and managed to answer a question about Pingu - clearly my intellectual prowess paying off there.  I also used to work for the Royal Family (the job was interesting but they were a terrible employer tbh).  And... in 1997 I snogged a very well known snooker player in a Sheffield nightclub.
  • edited January 2015
    Great thread :) I have a few pretty random claims to fame!  I was on University Challenge many years ago, and managed to answer a question about Pingu - clearly my intellectual prowess paying off there.  I also used to work for the Royal Family (the job was interesting but they were a terrible employer tbh).  And... in 1997 I snogged a very well known snooker player in a Sheffield nightclub.
    Posted by ladyalbion
    Snogged? Or did he pot a couple of balls as well?