You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

....and your claim to fame is?

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I didn't let his cue anywhere near me, don't worry. I was only 15 at the time!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to ....and your claim to fame is?:
    I saw this on RLT's Diary..... "....I played Australian rules football for Chippenham, England and Britian ....." ....which struck me as pretty cool. What "Claim to Fame" have YOU got, be it in Sports, Entertainment, Poker, Work, Life generally, anything at all.   Be great to start 2015 by applauding success, rather than all the moany-woany stuff.
    Posted by Tikay10
    hi tikay, i shall write a more detailed response to your questionsin my diary but figured id respond to this thread to.

Its the first time anyone (outside of aussie rules) has connsidered my achievement a claim to fame, people generally just say i've never heard of it it must be rubbish/easy its only an amatuer sport.. blah blah blah

whatever their opinions i have always been immmensely proud of what i have achieved in the game and i thank you for your post post.

my club honours have been limited to southern league champions on one occasion.

my England achievements are probably my proudest ones, having won the european cup on 3 occasions

and for Britian i have played in the world cup (in which we finished 7th from 18 teams)

my individual awards have been , 4 x top goal scorer (southern league)  2 x english player of the year (southern league) and 1 x player of the year (southern league) 2x top goal scorer european cup, 1x player of the tournament european cup.

*edit* the picture i use on the forum is of the england team during our first european cup win
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re:....and your claim to fame is?:
    I didn't let his cue anywhere near me, don't worry. I was only 15 at the time!
    Posted by ladyalbion
    Going to a nightclub at 15?! I wonder if Tikay frequented discotheques in his youth?
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re:....and your claim to fame is? : Going to a nightclub at 15?! I wonder if Tikay frequented discotheques in his youth?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Us Yorkshire lasses start early!  And I'm sure Tikay would have attended the odd tea dance.
  • edited January 2015
    I was a roadie for Big Country in the early 80s, which led to plenty of work through out that period, including backstage at live aid. and festivals all over Europe, great when you are single. Had a few beers as an 18yr old with the late great Bon Scott. 

• edited January 2015
    I have: 

- Starred in a film that had its debut at Cannes Film Festival;

- Recorded a studio album; and

- Starred in a television commercial. 

HNY

• edited January 2015
    I've had a short story published in a paperback anthology alongside horror luminary Ramsey Campbell.
  • edited January 2015

Brilliant thread.

My contribution: In my younger days I was quite good at rugby league, I played for Bradford Bulls school boys and played in the national conference as an adult until my 4th shoulder dislocation forced me to retire.
    I once helped Paul Daniels and Debbie Mcgee (probably spelt wrong) to their hotel room in Scarborough when I was about 14 and they didn't even tip me!!
    I won a school competition to meet John Craven of newsround when I was at first school.
    Poker wise, in only my 2nd live tournament I finished 2nd in a field of 280 runners for 2k and more tenuously my Dad unlocked a bad beat jackpot (75000 euros) when his royal flush beat quad 8's on another poker site. Ironically the guy he beat wasn't opted in to the bad beat prizepool and should have won 150000euros but didn't win a bean (poor bloke). 

• edited January 2015
    Nothing spectacular - a few minor claims:

I get a mention in freddie flintoff's autobiography (met him in st tropez mid 95 ashes series - top bloke chatted and had a pic taken with my 2 lads) I am the "the bloke in the preston north end shirt" refered to in the book.

Competitively played chess for my county and table tennis for my town and won a few trophies at each.

Started a business in a recession and still going 2 years later - hoping one day the hard work and sacrifices will prove to have been thoroughly worth it. 

I'll pass on a poker one as I am sure my greatest achievement lays ahead of me.

• edited January 2015

Great thread this ;')

The 1 for me that my Mother seems to drop more often than not which can be, well you know.

When I was about 10 I had to take this girl to a Pigeon Fanciers party in Rochester, She was my Grandads best mates Grand daughter and I got lumbered with her, she was a few years younger and at the time must of been a drag.

The party went well and i got a KISS, and this was the young girl first. So the family story goes lol 

The young girl you ask????? 

Just the Goddess that is KELLY BROOK ;')

If only I knew lol 
  • edited January 2015
    ...made my first & only century snooker break of 105 on July 12th 1985, which was the first one made at the Exmouth Snooker Club...
    I also that year won a club competition & went on to play snooker pro Willie Thorne, who then had hair, lol
    losing 0-2 to breaks of 69 & 115 I think it was from memory -:)
    aaah the good old days -:)
  • edited January 2015
    Played for my local golf team under18s against Holywood Golf club were a certain Rory Mcilroy was playing he was 10 and playing off 18 i think.

I didnt get to play him i was drew to play someone else.

Also reached the last 16 of the under19 Northern Ireland Snooker Championships. I was top qualifier from County armagh at the time and then went on to play in Coalisland at the club Dennis Taylor played.

Also got 3 hole in ones one each year in a row. from the age 16, 17, 18 and havent had another since and i am now 34.

• edited January 2015
    ...we could get something going here Stuart...

best of 5 at golf best of 5 at snooker best of 1005 at dym's to decide it, if needed  lol...

oh, on second thoughts maybe not, forgot about me old back...aaaagh
  • edited January 2015
    lol dev

My best break is 90 when i was 16 but then met drink and girls lol. 

Still play golf to a high standard play off 4 and shot 65 over the summer at my course par is 70.

Hope to get down to 2 or 3 this summer.
  • edited January 2015

LOL,

I swear a SAW TK @ my Local Balti House

• edited January 2015
    Great thread this ;') The 1 for me that my Mother seems to drop more often than not which can be, well you know. When I was about 10 I had to take this girl to a Pigeon Fanciers party in Rochester, She was my Grandads best mates Grand daughter and I got lumbered with her, she was a few years younger and at the time must of been a drag. The party went well and i got a KISS, and this was the young girl first. So the family story goes lol  The young girl you ask?????  Just the Goddess that is KELLY BROOK ;') If only I knew lol 
    Posted by j3ono
    I bet you don't even think of that memory on a thrice weekly basis.....when you have a quiet moment....perhaps in the bathroom perchance.....
  • edited January 2015
    Represented my country in a ten pin bowling inter bank european event .....would again this year only for its clashing with arrival of baby no 3!! bad timing grrr!!

Hold world records in micromachines (fastest times fon playstation 1 games) ;)....hours and hours of play!!

Attended every game for my local football team for about 7 or 8 seasons straight.

Topped sharkscope leadersboards for dyms.

Beat Tikay in an all in (once).

Won a prize for predicting the correct amount of goals in the 1994 world cup.

Theres a few random ones for ya!

Ger

• edited January 2015
    Mine pale in comparison to some of those above, but

Like Macacgirl, I used to be a bit of a runner, doing 6 marathons (5 London and 1 Berlin) and representing my old athletics club at everything from 100m to the Marathon

I've been to every football ground in Cornwall, from the lowest Saturday levels to Truro City

My website was once named as one of the 20 best football websites in "When Saturday Comes"

• edited January 2015
    In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter career. He said, "You jammy b*stard" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh.
  • edited January 2015
    Great thread this ;') The 1 for me that my Mother seems to drop more often than not which can be, well you know. When I was about 10 I had to take this girl to a Pigeon Fanciers party in Rochester, She was my Grandads best mates Grand daughter and I got lumbered with her, she was a few years younger and at the time must of been a drag. The party went well and i got a KISS, and this was the young girl first. So the family story goes lol  The young girl you ask?????  Just the Goddess that is KELLY BROOK ;') If only I knew lol 
    Posted by j3ono
    Winner!!

I wish I had some good stories... nope :(
  • edited January 2015
     When I worked in the spread betting industry I was the inventor of the bookings index. I woke up one day and thought, that would be a good thing to bet on, you could give 25 points for a red and 10 points for a yellow. That was about 1998.

For the first 6 months we just went 30-33 in every game (you could bet over 33 or under 30). We had no real idea how much the number could be swayed by the teams involved, the importance of the fixture or who the referee was.

A bloke called Tony Bloom won a fortune the first year we did it.

I often look back and think how much money has changed hands on that market over the years. I should have patented it (probably was something I owned copyright on but could not patent). How great would it be to get 1p every time someone won or lost a tenner.
  • edited January 2015
     When I worked in the spread betting industry I was the inventor of the bookings index. I woke up one day and thought, that would be a good thing to bet on, you could give 25 points for a red and 10 points for a yellow. That was about 1998.  For the first 6 months we just went 30-33 in every game (you could bet over 33 or under 30). We had no real idea how much the number could be swayed by the teams involved, the importance of the fixture or who the referee was.  A bloke called Tony Bloom won a fortune the first year we did it.  I often look back and think how much money has changed hands on that market over the years. I should have patented it (probably was something I owned copyright on but could not patent). How great would it be to get 1p every time someone won or lost a tenner.
    Posted by NChanning
    Another bad beat story jeees lol UL mate.
  • edited January 2015
    great thread teeks - and great achievements guys & gals

only a silly little one from me. i used to play the video game Missile Command - i discovered a local pub where you could win a half bottle of spirit each week for the highest score. one week i put my name into the top score list diagonally! (which meant i had to get the top three high scores in order)

G**
    *E*
    **L

the landlord made a fortune that week as peeps tried unsucesfully to spoil my artistry (some comments about beating that arrogant b.st.rd). unfortunately a few weeks later he gave up on the promotion as everyone else stopped trying.

at darts the best i have is winning a large joint of beef on offer one xmas from a local pub that i randomly walked into that evening. we ate well that Christmas.
  • edited January 2015
    I am one of the few people that can say they have beaten Sir Chris Hoy in a bike race.  Racing at the now demolished Claireville Stadium in Middlesborough, I was 17 or 18 and he's a year younger than me and at that age one year can make a big difference.  I hasten to add this was the only time I ever beat him from memory.

For anyone who follows cycling or knows anything about the sport I've also raced with Rob Hayles and Tony Gibb (both Eurosport Commentators), Craig Mclean (Olympic and Paralympic medallist), Sir Bradley Wiggins, Ben Swift, Adam Blythe (those two were actually club mates of mine in their younger years), Jason Kenny (who I have beat numerous times although he was an awful lot younger at the time), Ed Clancy, Chris Newton (was actually on the same University course as him too) and many more of the ridiculous successful cyclist the UK has produced over the last few years.

Not so much a claim to fame this one, but I've also had the pleasure of racing against multiple Paralympic Gold Medallist Sarah Storey at Maindy Velodrome (Cardiff) where she unceremoniously lapped me in a derny paced race.  This was in the early days of her transfer from rowing to cycling and although I kind of knew who she was, she wasn't yet the household name that she is today.  Believe me, being lapped by a girl who can only grip her handlebars properly with one hand is not good for ones ego.  It only became easier to take over the following months and years when it became more and more apparent what a phenomenal athlete she really is.
  • edited January 2015
    I am one of only 2000 BAHA users in the UK.

I have been to 119 unique football grounds, which includes at least one in every county of England. 

I tore an ankle ligament in my right foot after twisting my ankle on a night out.

I broke my hand on a tesco trolley 

And i'm only 19 :-)
  • edited January 2015
    Great thread Tikay, I love stuff like this. 

1. I did quite a bit of writing a few years ago and once had an article titled Ignorance and Ego published in the official WPT magazine. 

2. Crushed Patrick Leonard 2-0  in a best of 3 nlh heads up Newcastle forum match a few years ago.

3. I got a mention in a poker song written by The Poker Rapper, titled "stack dat poker boy".  It's online somewhere if you google Poker rapper I think you can play a sample from the 10 card commandments CD..

4. (and my biggest claim to fame) When I was a kid (7) I was walking along my grandmothers fence with a cousin and fell off. When I came to, my mum was splashing my face with water at the bathroom sink. I didn't know at the time but when I hit the ground my face went I to a pile of steaming dog s***. My cousin told everyone and I immediately was given the nick name Davey dog s***. To this day people still call me dog s***, even people who dont even know my real name call me dog s*** and I'm now 42.
  • edited January 2015
    Ok, my claim to fame is this guy >>>

From my time in motorsport, drag/drift ect.... 

Ladies, I hated boybands but he was so yummmmmmy... or maybe the tatts did it :)

He was my brollygirl :)

• edited January 2015
    Great thread Tikay, I love stuff like this.  1. I did quite a bit of writing a few years ago and once had an article titled Ignorance and Ego published in the official WPT magazine.  2. Crushed Patrick Leonard 2-0  in a best of 3 nlh heads up Newcastle forum match a few years ago. 3. I got a mention in a poker song written by The Poker Rapper, titled "stack dat poker boy".  It's online somewhere if you google Poker rapper I think you can play a sample from the 10 card commandments CD.. 4.  (and my biggest claim to fame) When I was a kid (7) I was walking along my grandmothers fence with a cousin and fell off. When I came to, my mum was splashing my face with water at the bathroom sink. I didn't know at the time but when I hit the ground my face went I to a pile of steaming dog s***. My cousin told everyone and I immediately was given the nick name Davey dog s***. To this day people still call me dog s***, even people who dont even know my real name call me dog s*** and I'm now 42.
    Posted by cowhead
    I've seen you called a lot worse on NPF.........

Great story!

Love this thread, keep the stories coming.
  • edited January 2015
    Great thread Tikay, I love stuff like this.  1. I did quite a bit of writing a few years ago and once had an article titled Ignorance and Ego published in the official WPT magazine.  2. Crushed Patrick Leonard 2-0  in a best of 3 nlh heads up Newcastle forum match a few years ago. 3. I got a mention in a poker song written by The Poker Rapper, titled "stack dat poker boy".  It's online somewhere if you google Poker rapper I think you can play a sample from the 10 card commandments CD.. 4.  (and my biggest claim to fame) When I was a kid (7) I was walking along my grandmothers fence with a cousin and fell off. When I came to, my mum was splashing my face with water at the bathroom sink. I didn't know at the time but when I hit the ground my face went I to a pile of steaming dog s***. My cousin told everyone and I immediately was given the nick name Davey dog s***. To this day people still call me dog s***, even people who dont even know my real name call me dog s*** and I'm now 42.
    Posted by cowhead

good post cow

you've now given new life to the ds tag.

• edited January 2015
    Great post from Dog S***
    Funny story