You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest:
    EMERGENCY EMERGENCY. Mr Ambo has arrived wearing a horrific striped shirts. Striped shirts and tv don't mix - they "strobe". So he will either be wearing one of Lord Smirk's shirts, or be topless.
    Posted by Tikay10

He will need permission from me for that.

Which I will grant for a small usage fee. Say, £100 an hour?
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest : Hi Barny, I assume the Gentleman is referring to SKYGO.
    Posted by Tikay10
    But you can only watch SkyGo channels in line with your Sky subscription, so if you don't have Sports as part of your package, SkyGo won't let you stream the Sports channels
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest : But you can only watch SkyGo channels in line with your Sky subscription, so if you don't have Sports as part of your package, SkyGo won't let you stream the Sports channels
    Posted by FCHD
    Understood Barny, I was just second guessing whitebeast's post.
  • edited March 2015
    have a great show all
  • edited March 2015
    Hi AJMilton,

I deleted your post as I don't think Sky would be too happy with sharing streaming sites of Sky Sports 4 on their own (20% anyway) website.

Wouldn't want you getting into trouble eh?

You're still the PLO8 champion though.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi gang, enjoying the show.

I'm really looking forward to Vegas after winning a package through Sky Poker.  Can I ask who is going over and when?  

Thanks everyone,

James
  • edited March 2015
    Hi AJMilton, I deleted your post as I don't think Sky would be too happy with sharing streaming sites of Sky Sports 4 on their own (20% anyway) website. Wouldn't want you getting into trouble eh? You're still the PLO8 champion though.
    Posted by Mod_Machka
    Ok Machka, no probs. I didn't mean to cause any conflict, just trying to help those including me who don't have sky tv to watch the show. sincere apologies. (i was bad)

Regards Alan (plo8 champion)
  • edited March 2015
    Great show guys will it be available on catchup on sky go? I missed the first hour :(
  • edited March 2015
    Great show guys will it be available on catchup on sky go? I missed the first hour :(
    Posted by JJJOHNSON
    Hi JJ,

To be honest, I don't exactly know how "SKYGO" works, I've barely got used to Teletext, never mind this internet stuff, but it was scheduled as a normal Sky Sports TV Show, so if Sky Sports stuff is available on SKYGO, I would assume this will be.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi gang, enjoying the show. I'm really looking forward to Vegas after winning a package through Sky Poker.  Can I ask who is going over and when?   Thanks everyone, James
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Hi James,

I'll answer that in the morning if I may, I've just got home after a bit of a long & stressful day, & I'm whacked.

I'll reply first thing in the morning, always assuming I remember.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest : Hi James, I'll answer that in the morning if I may, I've just got home after a bit of a long & stressful day, & I'm whacked. I'll reply first thing in the morning, always assuming I remember.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks Tikay.  Im really looking forward to Vegas but with all this aeroplane carry on recently I can't help feel apprehensive about flying.  It never used to bother me and I'm determined not to let it stop me from seeing the world.  I guess a few confidence boosters before I get on board.

Be great to see you out there :)

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest : Thanks Tikay.  Im really looking forward to Vegas but with all this aeroplane carry on recently I can't help feel apprehensive about flying.  It never used to bother me and I'm determined not to let it stop me from seeing the world.  I guess a few confidence boosters before I get on board. Be great to see you out there :)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Morning James.

Ahh, thats better, a good night's sleep works wonders, I'm all oomphy & zingy now.

Fear of flying? I used to be the same, many people still are. You certainly won't be going in the sort of 'plane that so sadly fell out of the sky yesterday, as that was an A320, which is "short haul", you'll be on a long haul Boeing 747, Airbus A330 or A340 or similar. 

Safe as houses. Hull losses amount to around 0.25 per million flying hours, or 1 per 4 million flying hours. A flying hour would be about 500 miles I guess. That's safer than crossing the road, & by a long chalk.

The plans for Sky Poker in Vegas? I'll put them on the Vegas 2015 thread, so everyone can see them,
    HERE  
  • edited March 2015
    Quick update. We are on a break now. We have recorded about a dozen pieces to camera for You Tube. 9 or 10 of them were trial pieces, just 1 or 2 minutes each. These may or may not see the light of day.  We also did Top of the Pots, and the Roller final table from Sunday. The last two felt much crisper and sharper without all those "calls to action". ("Sign up now, welcome bonus, bla bla). Not having to do them definitely felt that it made them more viewable.  They ( the last 2) will be uploaded to You Tube some time tomorrow, and I will let everyone know as soon as they go up.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,

When these have been uploaded to youtube would you be able to post a link on here?

(I made the final table of the Roller on Sunday so will enjoy watching it).

Thanks,
    MATT8
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest : Hi Tikay, When these have been uploaded to youtube would you be able to post a link on here? (I made the final table of the Roller on Sunday so will enjoy watching it). Thanks, MATT8
    Posted by MATT8
    Glad you asked that Matt, because I watched your play on the Roller Final Table last night, & you had none other than James Akenhead & Neil Channing analysing your play. I just did the intros really, not much point me waffling on when we had those two in the studio.

Won't give the game away for others, but having never watched you play before, I was very impressed (lol, so what...), but you just played some standard spots exactly & perfectly correctly the way I saw it. Brutal stuff, ungetoffable. How good does Shorty run, eh?

It was really enjoyable, and as a TV Piece - & You Tube shortly - it was much crisper & better than when we used to have to punctuate it will calls to action, it made an amazing difference, & I think you'll find it much more watchable, & easy on the eye. You'll be able to keep it forever, too, once it goes up on You Tube it sort of never goes away.  

I understand it will be uploaded early this afternoon. The moment it is, I will start a thread on here & make it known.

• edited March 2015

Thanks Tikay that's very kind of you.

It will be interesting to hear Neil's analysis because I actually had the 'pleasure' of sitting directly to his right all day at a UKPC at Dusk Til Dawn a few years back. I was totally out of my depth at the time (was only there because I won my seat in a satellite in a local pub game) but spending those few hours next to Neil was invaluable - watching him work the table etc (working extra hard to make friends with the guy sat to this left for example and saying he'd had enough of this 'mickey mouse tournament' and as ready to go home when he went all in with Aces and wanted to rope in a caller!). There were a couple of hands wHere later on I even told him what I'd had and he gave me his opinion on whether I made the right play etc. It was an awesome experience for me at the time.

Anyway I'll look forward to watching the analysis when its uploaded.

MATT8

• edited March 2015
    Thanks Tikay that's very kind of you. It will be interesting to hear Neil's analysis because I actually had the 'pleasure' of sitting directly to his right all day at a UKPC at Dusk Til Dawn a few years back. I was totally out of my depth at the time (was only there because I won my seat in a satellite in a local pub game) but spending those few hours next to Neil was invaluable - watching him work the table etc (working extra hard to make friends with the guy sat to this left for example and saying he'd had enough of this 'mickey mouse tournament' and as ready to go home when he went all in with Aces and wanted to rope in a caller!). There were a couple of hands wHere later on I even told him what I'd had and he gave me his opinion on whether I made the right play etc. It was an awesome experience for me at the time. Anyway I'll look forward to watching the analysis when its uploaded. MATT8
    Posted by MATT8
    That You Tube video is up now, Matt.

http://bit.ly/1CaR2Td

I must apologise for my comments in my previous Post in which I said Neil & James analysed your play.

Thast was incorrect, sorry.

We did it as a pre-record before they arrived.

Pretty sure I'm losing the plot......

Neil & James did all the analysis once the Live Show started, but they were not involved in this.
  • edited March 2015
    Enjoyed the show. Always good to listen to Mr Ambo (and his amazing snazzy shoes!), and James.

One question (for Tikay I guess) - there was no mention of 'the forum'. Will that be the case with future shows? Everything contact-wise was email or tweeter, rather than the old option of "via the forum thread".

Nice to see you back ont 'ele

• edited March 2015
    Enjoyed the show. Always good to listen to Mr Ambo (and his amazing snazzy shoes!), and James. One question (for Tikay I guess) - there was no mention of 'the forum'. Will that be the case with future shows? Everything contact-wise was email or tweeter, rather than the old option of "via the forum thread". Nice to see you back ont 'ele
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Not sure yet Elliott, we were thrown in at the deep end last night, we were under prepared to be honest, as the dates unexpectedly moved forward. 

There are, always have been, OFCOM issues with what we used to say on Sky Sports simulcasts, (it's not a simcast now, of course) we can't do ANY calls to action, can't even wear a patch. So we have to run at it a different way. It's the exact opposite of Teleshopping, which was 861's basis.

I did batter the Suits with questions before the Show as to what we could & could not say, but it was all a bit of a rush. 

So I was not really sure if we could or could not mention the Forum, as that is perilously close to a "call to action". 

We'll define it better as we get to know the ropes.   

Glad you enjoyed the Sky Poker TV debut though.

Ambo's shoes, incred - gold. Gold, what's THAT about?

I thought James Akenhead was amazingly good, just terrific. 
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks, Tikay.

Mr Ambo's shoes, I can't really slate them. I have a Fender Stratocaster which I had finished in 23-carat gold-leaf, so I know I thing or two about BLING accessories :-)

• edited March 2015
    Caught up with the Youtube bits tonight and enjoyed them. Really like the idea of looking back at final tables on demand, especially the Roller because it finishes so late.
  • edited March 2015
    Caught up with the Youtube bits tonight and enjoyed them. Really like the idea of looking back at final tables on demand, especially the Roller because it finishes so late.
    Posted by IRONZ
    Thanks Ironz. You got 2nd in the Roller a few weks back, right?

One advantage is that they are preserved for posterity, yes, so you can always look back at them "on demand".

A lot of we recorded on Tuesday is uploaded day by day, & I'll try to post links on the Community as & when they are.  

This week's Top of the Pots hand, analysed by James Akenhead & Neil Chaning is here......

http://bit.ly/1CrCxfe
  • edited March 2015
    I really enjoyed the Tuesday 2 hr show on SS4 it was interesting to hear the opposite views in some spots of Neil and James, more than 1 way to skin a cat comes to mind whatever that means lol. Having said that I enjoyed it 2 hrs seems to go so quick and reduced to 2 from 15 hrs live a week is far from feeding my TV poker needs ;-) Good luck with the new venture and I do hope this forum can have more of an input to it in future.
  • edited March 2015
    I really enjoyed the Tuesday 2 hr show on SS4 it was interesting to hear the opposite views in some spots of Neil and James, more than 1 way to skin a cat comes to mind whatever that means lol. Having said that I enjoyed it 2 hrs seems to go so quick and reduced to 2 from 15 hrs live a week is far from feeding my TV poker needs ;-) Good luck with the new venture and I do hope this forum can have more of an input to it in future.
    Posted by a00rock
    Thanks Rocky.

Yes, it was interesting that Nei & James often had quite different views on how to play particular spots. I thought James was a "natural", really very good. I've known him over 10 years, we played at Gutshot in tenner rebuys back in the day, but I had no idea if he would take to TV. He did.

As to whether we can involve the Forum more in the Sky Sports Shows, we are still feeling our way, so bear with us please. It's all come & bit quickly for us, so we are still trying to sort what's what. We have to be extremely careful as to the licensing legalities as to what may be deemed "calls to action" or promoting Sky Poker whilst on Sky Sports, it is an extremely edgy & grey area, & we must not fall foul. But if we can involve the Forum more, we will.

One thing I never foresaw was how much sharper & crisper the Show was, without all the "sign up now" stuff we were obliged to do on 861.

It's an irony, that on 861, with a Teleshopping Licence, we were OBLIGED, as a licence requirement, to do x calls to action per hour. And on Sky Sports, without a teleshopping licence (they don't allow it), we MUST NOT make any calls to action. Jack Spratt & his missus, & all that. 

There are some amazing complications in the regulations as to TV these days to be wrestled with.  

• edited March 2015
    I recorded the show and watched it this afternoon

I enjoyed it. Much better without the calls to action. Flowed along quite nicely but could have done with a few more features beyond the chat and MasterCash. I appreciate that you put it together at very short notice.

I imagine that the forum would need to exist outside the SkyPoker portal for you to be able to mention it on Sky Sports otherwise you could be regarded as "enticing" people to sign up.
  • edited March 2015
    I recorded the show and watched it this afternoon I enjoyed it. Much better without the calls to action. Flowed along quite nicely but could have done with a few more features beyond the chat and MasterCash. I appreciate that you put it together at very short notice. I imagine that the forum would need to exist outside the SkyPoker portal for you to be able to mention it on Sky Sports otherwise you could be regarded as "enticing" people to sign up.
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    I'm asking this holding my hands up admitting I know nothing about the issues Tikay has spoken of, but isn't simply showing a Sky Poker show on Sky Sports 'enticing' people to sign up? I know if I wasn't a member I would be enticed. To me the forum is just a communication method... but as I said, I know nothing about the problems of TV.

Interesting subject!

• edited March 2015
    Hi all

Scared to offer an opinion so will leave that for others.

Question I have, and please bare in mind I have no knowledge on the legal stuff and can not watch the show so just going off what has been posted so sorry if sounds dumb, what is the difference between say me emailing the show and asking something vs posting on the forum? Do you have to state where the post comes from? 

I may be way off subject here, just curious I guess

Hope show went well, sounds like it did which is great :)
  • edited March 2015
    Best of luck Tikay.

I dont have the channel unfortunately but hope its a success for you all!

Ger
  • edited March 2015
    GL with the SS4 show, I don't have SS4, so can't watch. (Same as most on Skypoker)

Question: If Sky still retain a small stake in Skypoker,
    why can't they promote it on a channel which Sky viewers already subscribe too, SS4?
    (The BBC "advertise" their own "services" on "compulsory subscription" channels. ;)

"calls to action"
    Is the referring to SS4 on this site not the same as mentioning Skypoker on SS4?
    I could be enticed into subscribing from this thread, (just as well Skysports is -ev)
    Constant mentioning of ISIS, on news channels, helps promote their subscriptions :(
    Also, why is mentioning Twitter etc, on TV, not considered a "call to action"?

Finally, when will the Skypoker TV shows be available on ANother channel?
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest : Thanks Ironz. You got 2nd in the Roller a few weks back, right? One advantage is that they are preserved for posterity, yes, so you can always look back at them "on demand".
    Yes and I was able to see that FT eventually, but missed the Tuesday live show as I had to be out.  So I caught the repeat slot on during a lunchtime and enjoyed your analysis as ever. YouTube is much more convenient and I just like seeing how the FT plays out whatever the result.

• edited March 2015

There are some questions here from the last 24 hours that I have not yet answered - please bear with me, I will do so soonest, hopefully later today.

Thanks.