You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest

13»

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest:
    I recorded the show and watched it this afternoon I enjoyed it. Much better without the calls to action. Flowed along quite nicely but could have done with a few more features beyond the chat and MasterCash. I appreciate that you put it together at very short notice. I imagine that the forum would need to exist outside the SkyPoker portal for you to be able to mention it on Sky Sports otherwise you could be regarded as "enticing" people to sign up.
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    Hi Quick,

More features? Yes, agree. Excuses?

1) Shortage of prep time.

2) New toy.

3) We thought James Akenhead was a very special Guest, right up there with Chris Moorman, we we wanted to do stuff that he could engage with throughout, to get the best out of him. We don't get too many "November Niners" on the Show, in fact, there have been very few who have even made November Nine.

We had a great Meeting this morning to discuss next Tuesdays Show, which will be completely different. It will have a central theme in it, & we'll sort of pop in & out. It's the sort of thing which will either be great, or sink like a stone. Luckily, Lord Smirk (Presenter) & I don't mind trying & failing, so if it goes all Pete Tong, not to worry, we'll cope with the backlash. Better to try & fail than fail to try. Looking like there will be 3 or 4 of us in the Studio.

The Forum? I agree. As long as we would need to explain that "the Forum is on SkyPoker.com" (& we would have to, as Sky Sports viewers would have no idea what we mean't) it seems to us that would amount to a "call to action".

The rules & regs as to Compliance, OFCOM & ASA are unbelievably complex. We may not agree with all of them, the players ditto, but we must never flout them.

All the while 861 existed, we all had to attend Annual Refresher Courses on that stuff. Much of it made no sense, but Sky don't make the rules, they just have to follow them, & scrupulously.

For example, on Simulcast nights, I'd wear my Sky Poker Patch on 861. Then, at 10pm, I had to remove it. And yet, we were showing poker from a table branded "SKY POKER". (Note, VERY SPECIFICALLY, "SKY POKER" not "SKYPOKER.COM". Big difference in their eyes).

There is a chap in Sky to whom we refer all these matters, & he's all belt & braces. If he says "no", then "no" it is. 

It's frustrating for all parties, but thats the way it is.     

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV tonight will have a very special Guest : I'm asking this holding my hands up admitting I know nothing about the issues Tikay has spoken of, but isn't simply showing a Sky Poker show on Sky Sports 'enticing' people to sign up? I know if I wasn't a member I would be enticed. To me the forum is just a communication method... but as I said, I know nothing about the problems of TV. Interesting subject!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    In effect, yes, it is, most certaibly yes. Doubt we would do it otherwise.

But it is wholly legit, & permissable, it does not break or even bend any rules.

Very interestng subject, yes. And not all of it makes a whole lot of sense, but we have to play the cards we are dealt.

The Regulations & Rules are a minefield, & often conflict, too. We just go to our "Man" for advice, & what he says, we do, to the letter & to the spirit.   

• edited March 2015
    Hi all Scared to offer an opinion so will leave that for others. Question I have, and please bare in mind I have no knowledge on the legal stuff and can not watch the show so just going off what has been posted so sorry if sounds dumb, what is the difference between say me emailing the show and asking something vs posting on the forum? Do you have to state where the post comes from?  I may be way off subject here, just curious I guess Hope show went well, sounds like it did which is great :)
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Hi Nuggy,

No difference really.

However, we can say "we have an e-Mail from David in Daventry", but we cannot say "we have a forum Post from Nuggy962". 

Why? Because to the Sky Sports audience, far far bigger than the old 861 audience, & unfamiliar with us, 95% of them would want to know "what Forum?". 

And we can't say "ahh, the Sky Poker Forum" because that is deemed a call to action.

So it's fine to stick Posts on the Community, and they MAY get answered, but it just gets very awkward.

• edited March 2015
    Best of luck Tikay. I dont have the channel unfortunately but hope its a success for you all! Ger
    Posted by gerardirl

Top man Ger, thank you.

You still playing the PLO8 DYM's? Doing OK, I assume? I hope to start playing again soon, been a bit waylaid of late.

When is your new arrival due? Must be soon, right? Best of luck to you & Mrs Ger with that.
  • edited March 2015
    GL with the SS4 show, I don't have SS4, so can't watch. (Same as most on Skypoker) Question: If Sky still retain a small stake in Skypoker, why can't they promote it on a channel which Sky viewers already subscribe too, SS4? (The BBC "advertise" their own "services" on "compulsory subscription" channels. ;) "calls to action" Is the referring to SS4 on this site not the same as mentioning Skypoker on SS4? I could be enticed into subscribing from this thread, (just as well Skysports is -ev) Constant mentioning of ISIS, on news channels, helps promote their subscriptions :( Also, why is mentioning Twitter etc, on TV, not considered a "call to action"? Finally, when will the Skypoker TV shows be available on ANother channel?
    Posted by Red_King
    Hi Red,

Answering those in the order asked.....

1) They (Sky TV) are not permitted to promote a Gaming Site (Sky Poker) in that manner. OFCOM regulations. 

2) No, promoting Sky Sports by us does not fall foul of any regulations, as it is not a Gaming Channel. Yes, you might be enticed to sign up to Sky Sports, but that does not break any rules. The opposite does.

3). Twitter is not a Gaming Site, so it's fine to mention them.

4) Don't know if they ever will be (on any other Channel) if you are referring to the weekly Shows. Extracts will be on You Tube, but most unlikely the whole Show will be. The Sky Poker UKPC, sky Poker Cash Games, & maybe some other stuff, however, WILL all transfer to You Tube, & to Challenge TV.

I know many of these things are contradictory, but them's the rules, & we must follow them strictly.

Hope that makes (some...) sense.  
  • edited March 2015

Think thats us up to date.

• edited March 2015
    Think thats us up to date.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks, Tikay. That really helps. Appreciate you taking the time to explain, cheers.