You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO & PLO8 MTT's - suggestions welcome.

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat

I was chatting to Sky Peter last week, he is responsible, largely speaking, for the MTT schedules on Sky Poker.

He seemed keen to try & rev up the PLO (or PLO8) MTT's here, preferably PLO, but I suppose PLO8 too.

At present, Sky Poker have a very limited PLO & PLO8 schedule. 

Could or would a better schedule interest enough players to make them worthwhile?

It's a blank piece of paper, but a few things to consider......

More follows 

Comments

• edited April 2015

PLO, PLO8, or both?

Once per week, twice per week, alternate nights every night, PLO Monday, PLO8 Tuesday & so on, maybe a Sunday "biggie?

More follows.....
  • edited April 2015

Guarantees?

Guarantees are two sided. They DO help bring in players, but if they fail, then they effectively kill the Tourneys.

Worth considering both sides of that particular coin.

Personally, Guarantees don't bother me one iota, either way.

More follows....
  • edited April 2015

Freezeouts?

Single rebuy & add-on?

Unlimited rebuy & add-on?

Personally, I think PLO needs to have rebuys & an add-on, or, failing that, a good deep structure. PLO8, no, not so much.

But those are my views, which are irrelevant, what are your views?

More follows....

• edited April 2015

Structure, clock?

Personally (not relevant) I think PLO & PLO8 needs a decent structure & clock to make them playable.

Good structures, though, mean they take longer to complete.

More follows.......

• edited April 2015

Also, remember we have a really thriving PLO & PLO8 community here, in MTT's & DYM's (more so PLO8 at present, of course, but that could change). It's mostly - well all - micro-limit, & that's cool & dandy, but many players would not be interested unless the buy-ins were a bit bigger - say £10 or £20.

And we must all remember - if the site were able to rev up PLO & POLO8 MTT interest at buy-in levels above £5, it would definitely damage liquidity at the current lower levels. I'm quite certain of that. So in gaining bigger & better MTT's, it might well be at the expense of traffic at the current levels.

For balance, of course, it might also attract more traffic from the NLH boys, the so-called "MTT grinders", who want to add stuff to their nightly/weekly schedule, & who may find it a bit more interesting than the 2 card game.

• edited April 2015

Finally - you'll be pleased to know - it's not what you or me want that matters - it's what we think would generate the most interest. Those two things are rarely aligned.

Views & opinions invited.  

• edited April 2015

imo..

you first have to culture a habit.

basic rules:-

only two daily mtts; one plo, one plo8
    every day of the week without fail
    at the same time each day
    commit to a long period of guarantees

next...

do not have deep structures
    entry fees £11 (and one rebuy, only one)
    same structure for both plo and plo8

also...

promote the events
    run league tables
    give daily, weekly, monthly awards

summary...

if your wish to attract new players (or those who play infrequently) do the above.  if you want to reward existing players then do something different to above.

• edited April 2015

Good morning Tikay,

I think that the PLO8 tournaments we have at the moment are all the same structure.  having played the FOSP tournaments, I personally would like to see at least one tournament per evening with a deeper stack than 2K.  The FOSP has 3K.  I would probably pitch this at £2.25 or £3.30, to make it as affordable as possible for everyone.  I know we have a £5.50 GTD, but this does not achieve the numbers that the £1.10 tournaments do. 

I think that we have, through the efforts of Brian and his Thursday league, a growing number of PLO8 players on the site.  The £1.10 tournaments allow for folk to dip their toes in the water, so to speak, but the £5.50 is usually PLO8 regs. 

I don't think that PLO itself is as popular as PLO8, at this moment on the site.  My only PLO experience is the freeroll, which has too short of ablind structure(3 Mins), to actually allow any sort of strategic play.  An affordable, dip your toes in the water, £1.10 tournament might attract ploppers and NLH players to give it a go.

My own personal preference, along with the current set up, a £2.25 deepstack PLO8 tournament, 4K stack 10min blinds, and a £1.10 PLO, 3K stack 10 min blinds.

Craig

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO & PLO8 MTT's - suggestions welcome.:
    imo.. you first have to culture a habit . basic rules:- only two daily mtts; one plo, one plo8 every day of the week without fail at the same time each day commit to a long period of guarantees next... do not have deep structures entry fees £11 (and one rebuy, only one) same structure for both plo and plo8 also... promote the events run league tables give daily, weekly, monthly awards summary... if your wish to attract new players (or those who play infrequently) do the above.  if you want to reward existing players then do something different to above.
    Posted by aussie09
    I see where you are coming from Rob in attracting new players with bigger buy ins.  Being a microstakes player myself, I play for the fun mostly, but I would probably play a bigger buy in PLO8 tournament, rather than a NLH tournament.
  • edited April 2015
    Needing some practice for Vegas TK? :-)

As most of the PLO(8) regs are micro buy-in players, why not have some low buy-in PLO & PLO8 MTT's running with prizes for larger (£20+) buy-in MTT's once a month.?
  • edited April 2015

I'd play a PLO version for fun, the thing that currently puts me off is how slow/lengthy the tournament is. 

As the fields are small I think something that lasts around 1h-1h30 would be about right rather than a 3 hour affair. 

• edited April 2015

hi craig,

i acknoledge that it is quite audacious for an outsider to start making up the rules.  so i hesitated commenting.  but there again, i am an outsider having played only 100 plo mtts and players like me are your target.  i guess.

why not look at this issue by assessing what would discourage your targets to join in.  then the question is easily answered.

target players would not join in if...

daily scheduling was sporadic
    games lasted an awfully long time
    times changed each day/week
    plo and plo8 are structured to appear very different games rather than very similar
    the buy in is too low, the winnings are too low.  why bother?  income per hour rate means target players might not waste four hours of their time for a below minimum wage return
    employ intrinsic and extrinsic motivators, i.e don't ignore recognition.

• edited April 2015
    I would love to see a few things tried.

I have posted elsewhere on this and I believe that it should be possible to offer Sky as a niche site for PLO(8) enthusiasts without busting any marketing budgets for which NL will always win the battle as that's where the real traffic is.

So to attract PLO(8) players from other sites, I would suggest:

A flagship once a week £33/55 BI with a good structure and satellites through the week?

A nightly £5/10 BI with a rebuy?

£20/£30 dyms?

Make sure every UKOPS has 1 PLO and a PLO8 tournament side event?

For the mere mortals like myself who just play out of interest and to play in a friendly environment at low stakes, I would say more of the same. The above would at least give us something to aspire to and entry to the flagship tourney would be a great incentive for the FOSP sundays and Thursday PLO8 league nights if it could be arranged as a monthly prize?

Macacgirls 100 challenge was popular so we could do with something similar?

• edited April 2015

"....Macacgirls 100 challenge was popular so we could do with something similar? ....."

For those unfamiliar, it was a 100 game DYM challenge (could equally well be MTT's) based on best ROI over 100 games.

To a degree, it was run on trust, it was self-policed. No prizes, just bragging rights. It was immensely popular.

• edited April 2015
    hi craig, i acknoledge that it is quite audacious for an outsider to start making up the rules.  so i hesitated commenting.  but there again, i am an outsider having played only 100 plo mtts and players like me are your target.  i guess. why not look at this issue by assessing what would discourage your targets to join in.  then the question is easily answered. target players would not join in if... daily scheduling was sporadic games lasted an awfully long time times changed each day/week plo and plo8 are structured to appear very different games rather than very similar the buy in is too low, the winnings are too low.  why bother?  income per hour rate means target players might not waste four hours of their time for a below minimum wage return employ intrinsic and extrinsic motivators, i.e don't ignore recognition.
    Posted by aussie09
    I do agree Rob, and I think we would all like a higher profile PLO8 on Sky.  You are probably correct that the multi-table MTT players would prefer a quicker structure.

As a fun player myself, I would prefer a deeper structure, but as stated at lower stakes, much like the popular £2.25 deepstack NLH tournaments.

As for flagship tournaments, then I agree that it would probably be a quicker structure required.

I would say though that it shouldn't be at the expense f the microstakes players, who have brought the profile of PLO8 to where it stands at the moment.  When taking it to the next level, which is what I guess we are trying to achieve, I would suggest that we should be careful to not throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • edited April 2015
    "....Macacgirls 100 challenge was popular so we could do with something similar? ....." For those unfamiliar, it was a 100 game DYM challenge (could equally well be MTT's) based on best ROI over 100 games. To a degree, it was run on trust, it was self-policed. No prizes, just bragging rights. It was immensely popular.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Erm, who won that again?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO & PLO8 MTT's - suggestions welcome. : I do agree Rob, and I think we would all like a higher profile PLO8 on Sky.  You are probably correct that the multi-table MTT players would prefer a quicker structure. As a fun player myself, I would prefer a deeper structure, but as stated at lower stakes, much like the popular £2.25 deepstack NLH tournaments. As for flagship tournaments, then I agree that it would probably be a quicker structure required. I would say though that it shouldn't be at the expense f the microstakes players, who have brought the profile of PLO8 to where it stands at the moment.  When taking it to the next level, which is what I guess we are trying to achieve, I would suggest that we should be careful to not throw the baby out with the bath water.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    yes, i agree.

how about a main/mini set up each day.  every day.

• edited April 2015
    3 words

PLO BOUNTY HUNTER

I would definitely be game for that. Quick structure, £11BI for now and £1k GTD?
  • edited April 2015
    3 words PLO BOUNTY HUNTER I would definitely be game for that. Quick structure, £11BI for now and £1k GTD?
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    +1
  • edited April 2015

I wonder if having a mixed game prize over say 3 medium buy in events may have merit, something like turbo tuesday main as the NHLE element (quick and affordable), an £11 plo (Wednesday) and an £11 plo8 (Thursday or Saturday) maybe a fairly fast structure, with prizes perhaps for the top 3 scorers (maybe a £55 seat, £33 seat and an £11 seat).

Might encourage some NLHE mtt players to get involved.
  • edited April 2015
    3 words PLO BOUNTY HUNTER I would definitely be game for that. Quick structure, £11BI for now and £1k GTD?
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yeah, I would have a go at this idea.
  • edited April 2015
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    My first thought as well.  They may be a marmite format, but they are Sky's strong suit for NLHE so why not extend that to other formats.

£2.30, £5.50, £11 one of each every day at set times with maybe £22 (or higher) at weekends.

I think guarantees would help, although appreciate Sky would have to start low to test the water and consider increasing after that. I know fingers were burned with the UKOPS guarantee but a daily buy-in guarantee needn't be so challenging to meet (in my extremely humble opinion).

Would the occasional PLO be an option for the Tuesday live show or is a) too niche still and b) technically not possible still?
  • edited April 2015
    Its a very fine balancing act.

On one hand you need decent guarantees to attract the Holdem crowd and on the other if the guarantees don't get met then it could fail before its off the ground.

Also just to muddy the water,, if the buy-ins are too big then you will alienate the very people who make PLO8 such a success.

• edited April 2015
    I've played loads of PLO8/NLO8 on other sites over a number of years and I'd love to see it become more popular here.

Personally I often can't be bothered playing the two £5.50 PLO8 tourneys of an evening, even if I'm playing at the time, due to the low number of entrants and poor prizepools. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Some suggestions:
    • Flagship PLO8 tournament once a week. If this can be combined with a Main/Mini format then even better. Doesn't need a huge guarantee but I think something like £22/£800 should be manageable.
    • More NLO8. Is there even any of this on Sky at the moment? Might be successful in attracting some Holdem players to try games they wouldn't normally play. I think NLO8 BH would be good - you only need to look at the numbers the PKO NLO8 get on Stars in comparison to their other O8 tournaments to see that it's much more popular.
    • Some tournaments with buyins of £11+ at primetime. Doesn't need to be every day but a couple of times a week. 
    • At least one O8 tournament in future series.
    • Satellites. Having bigger buy ins won't necessarily alienate the people who play at low stakes if there are satellites to play in them. If you have a healthy numbers of players at the micro level it doesn't mean that there can't be room to develop at higher stakes. Some may be happy just playing £1.10/£2.20s but others will be looking to move up in stakes.
  • edited April 2015
    I've played loads of PLO8/NLO8 on other sites over a number of years and I'd love to see it become more popular here. Personally I often can't be bothered playing the two £5.50 PLO8 tourneys of an evening, even if I'm playing at the time, due to the low number of entrants and poor prizepools. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Some suggestions: Flagship PLO8 tournament once a week. If this can be combined with a Main/Mini format then even better. Doesn't need a huge guarantee but I think something like £22/£800 should be manageable. More NLO8. Is there even any of this on Sky at the moment? Might be successful in attracting some Holdem players to try games they wouldn't normally play. I think NLO8 BH would be good - you only need to look at the numbers the PKO NLO8 get on Stars in comparison to their other O8 tournaments to see that it's much more popular. Some tournaments with buyins of £11+ at primetime. Doesn't need to be every day but a couple of times a week.  At least one O8 tournament in future series. Satellites. Having bigger buy ins won't necessarily alienate the people who play at low stakes if there are satellites to play in them. If you have a healthy numbers of players at the micro level it doesn't mean that there can't be room to develop at higher stakes. Some may be happy just playing £1.10/£2.20s but others will be looking to move up in stakes.
    Posted by Ranners

I agree with the need for satellites, I am one of the players who is quite happy playing low stakes, but as with NLH, I like to satellite into the bigger tournaments to test my skills against the big boys.
  • edited April 2015
    Hi, not got much to add in terms of buy in, structure etc apart from being a NLHE so called mtt grinder type ; ) , im just learning PLO8 at micro stakes and would for sure support tourneys im able to play although wouldn't be willing to spent too much, say £11 max atm but that's just me, im sure more competent players would obv pay more and would this attract PLO8 players from far and wide? if so then maybe, like suggested, a flagship event once a week, this could also be something for people like me who are just learning the game to aspire to.

Structure wise agree with both sides above, don't like shallow structure, 2k just not enough play, but equally wouldn't want it too deep.

Funnily enough Ivan whilst playing a £3.30 PLO8 tourney yesterday I was thinking wouldn't this be more fun if it was a bounty hunter, but I straight away dismissed the idea as the 2 sets of styles/players seem at polar opposites or is that an incorrect preconception of mine? be interesting to hear others thoughts on this as it would definitely attract NLHE players as they are just so popular.
  • edited April 2015
    I think Ivan was thinking more PLO Bounty hunter, rather than PLO8
  • edited April 2015
    PLO BH would be immense fun, I remember playing the £2.30 ones years ago.... do they still run?
    Problem was there was not many runners (giant crushed em for this reason), maybe a hike in BI would get a few more of the PLO fans interested, as not many of the higher stakes cash gang would bother for a meagre prize pool.
  • edited April 2015
    i'll add my 2 cents.

firstly, the PLO 5.5 and PL08 5.5 nightly are short tournaments.
    one person has already commented that he cant be bothered to play 2 x 5.5 with small prize pools. I don't see why. a 100% win rate is the same regardless of the total prize pool.
    if you increase the guarantees, whose going to turn up?

personally, giving the PL08 crowd more of what they want cant be bad, if they know?
    knowone wants to play more PL08 on thurs eve, I asked that question the other day and got one reply and they didn't want any more games (on thurs eve)

add a few more PL08 games around the sunday league 3.3 could be a good idea as they're already players coming for that.

a monthly flagship PLO/PL08 tourney would be good. I don't see want the point with the BH format would be. plys go after each other anyway, they don't need encouraging (do you really want to be flipping every 10 hands or so?)

NL08 and NL08 BH formats are ridiculous, edges are less, flips more often=more losing to the rake, which is the primary reason knowone plays PLO/PL08 SNGs />£11, the skill difference is less than the rake (unless TK is playing!).

I like the idea that small sattelites (not AIPF ones) could lead to a flagship event, and the league winners of say 2.2-5.5 weekly Ts could win entry.