You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

forum future

Comments

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future:
    In Response to Re: forum future : and is this one of the reasons for the decline of the fora (forums)? if people choose to post elsewhere instead of on the forum then i guess they are contributing to the forum's decline. as TK says it's up to the community to make this work.
    Posted by GELDY
    This +1
  • edited May 2015
    My one thing I would suggest if boss for a day..... if people's time and software could do.....

Monitor everyone's first few posts. Soon as a newbie posts, reply to it from a sky rep. If is just trash, can be reminded of Do's and donts there and then. If good, thank for post and welcome to team, attaching a guide on how to make most of forum.

I do not think the forum has lost its mojo, still loads of great diaries, stories etc. like a bad beat, we remember the juicy bad threads and mishaps but forget the 10 standard ones we read previously.

Best of luck with this TK, you do this job very very well and without your input.... Well I would probably be banned and still a troll :) 
  • edited May 2015

The move of sky poker to subscription tv is not popular with many.

But unfortunately to watch the Ryder Cup or soon the Open golf or England home rugby
    matches you have to subscribe to Sky.

I learnt a valuable lesson when I was a child when one day stating that something wasn't fair.

My father's reply was life isn't fair son the quicker you learn that the better.

It's gone and isn't coming back any time soon.

Commercial decision made.

As for the forum it gives everyone a chance to have their say.

If it is not used or used inappropriately it too will close and the people who did not use it will moan, as people moan when the empty village pub finally shuts.

So get posting and lets grow the community and hopefully improve the site.

Daggers

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : me! i'm all smoke no fire it's that slippy you need to worry about, even though he may be sam's man
    Posted by GELDY

Not sure if you talk more BS here ^

Or here >> :)

and is this one of the reasons for the decline of the fora (forums)? if people choose to post elsewhere instead of on the forum then i guess they are contributing to the forum's decline. as TK says it's up to the community to make this work.

I think most of our members contribute a lot on the the forum, (good or bad) for starters, a big PC of them have diaries and regularly update them regardless of our team page. I think the private pages come more into play when people need to air/discuss something the forum would not approve (cursing) of, nor want on here as it's just general bants/speculation/moaning or even sometimes just congratulating someone on a bink (which could clog the forum).
  • edited May 2015
    SKY DAVE TOOK AWAY MOST OF MY FRIENDS, HE BANNED ANY ONE WHO SAID WHAT THEY FELT,I NO LONGER CARE  SO IF THIS FORUM EVER GOT CLOSED DOWN I WILL NO LONGER MISS IT,AND 861 WAS MY FAVORITE I COULD POST THE MOST DAFT STUFF AND NEVER FEEL LEFT OUT, and yes i have always known this is not a chat site,but i was allowed to chat my way have fun and send a ray of sun shine to some of you xxxx
    Posted by paige55

you're not ticking many boxes with this.  none.

thanks for for positive, uplifting and humourous contribution.

many more posts like yours and you'll be the only one left.

up your game, paige.

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : and is this one of the reasons for the decline of the fora (forums)? if people choose to post elsewhere instead of on the forum then i guess they are contributing to the forum's decline. as TK says it's up to the community to make this work.
    Posted by GELDY
    I have over 4000 posts. I think its fair to say I post plenty here.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : I have over 4000 posts. I think its fair to say I post plenty here.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    of that there is no doubt. maybe my wording has been misinterpreted. i am referring to those who chose to post elsewhere instead of posting on here. and i think that is what i said!
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : of that there is no doubt. maybe my wording has been misinterpreted. i am referring to those who chose to post elsewhere instead of posting on here. and i think that is what i said!
    Posted by GELDY
    Plenty of people post across numerous sites. Can't force people to post here, or anywhere.

This isn't a go at Sky, but we are 'heavily' moderated/censored here, so I can understand why some stuff posted elsewhere doesn't make it to these shores.

Likewise, plenty of stuff here won't be appropriate on other forums/sites.

Swings and swongs innit.
  • edited May 2015
    Tikay you really are a legend, amazing the posts that you type up on sky poker......you always put in so much effort and are so so respectful of everyone. I imagine most sites dont have forums because they dont have amazing people like you working for them.

I sincerely hope they dont do what 888 done and chop all plo8 standard dyms replacing them with turbos only. What a disaster!! Surely having a choice is the way to keep it.

Ger
  • edited May 2015
    I enjoy reading most of the posts on the forum, from Poker Chat to Betting and Football but don't feel the need to post on all of them - I think i've only just reached 1,000 or so,  so I guess I'm a novice compared to some :))

As it happens I rarely watched the old Sky Poker channel, I enjoyed it when I did but it was just not something I felt a need to watch. To date I haven't tried the new TV show so can't voice an opinion.

I think one of Sky's strengths is the forum but sometimes people don't do themselves any favours when threads spin out of control with wild accusations and moaning about other posters, the merits of a freeroll or some other random gripe.

In light of recent events involving members of the forum it was inevitable that changes would take place in various guises and I sincerely hope that once people get used to changes as they evolve, people still find the forum a place they want to make use of.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : you're not ticking many boxes with this.  none. thanks for for positive, uplifting and humourous contribution. many more posts like yours and you'll be the only one left. up your game, paige.
    Posted by aussie09
    yes must try harder to up my game thanks for the help aussie09, see ya from a very old lady xxxx,who only tried to have fun,:):):) sorry for that,of to the naughty step i go,and what a sad person i am
  • edited May 2015
    YES AUSSIE09 PICK ON ME AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE,IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY AND ALWAYS WILL BE, REGARDS PAIGE,
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : yes must try harder to up my game thanks for the help aussie09, see ya from a very old lady xxxx,who only tried to have fun,:):):) sorry for that,of to the naughty step i go,and what a sad person i am
    Posted by paige55

Chill Paige Mi Lovely :)

Not many banned in my time here, that were prolific posters or majorly missed.... 
    As in life, many things change... be it fashion/music or just the size of chocolate bars (smaller, meh). 
    Some things just have to be accepted for the better - I mean I'm not gunna get as fat with smaller choccy bars, right? ;)
  • edited May 2015
    YES AUSSIE09 PICK ON ME AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE,IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY AND ALWAYS WILL BE, REGARDS PAIGE,
    Posted by paige55
    Paige, this is not a dig at you but maybe try not to post with the caps lock on, for some reason it seems like your shouting, maybe that's why you get some negative responses to you your posts, or maybe it's just me, I dunno I'm old!
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : Chill Paige Mi Lovely :) Not many banned in my time here, that were prolific posters or majorly missed....  As in life, many things change... be it fashion/music or just the size of chocolate bars (smaller, meh).  Some things just have to be accepted for the better - I mean I'm not gunna get as fat with smaller choccy bars, right? ;)
    Posted by samantha25
    Sure your hands haven't grown?
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : Sure your hands haven't grown?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I refer to your post in the team today.

I'm off to the gym (yes we all laughed.)

I'm back - the vending machine is void of mars bars.

So, H... yr expert opinion... have the bars got smaller?

• edited May 2015
    See Geldy - away forums help engineer posts like this.... where we can all laugh at Harry faking being at the gym (when it is really his fav takeaway).
  • edited May 2015
    Tikay you really are a legend, amazing the posts that you type up on sky poker......you always put in so much effort and are so so respectful of everyone. I imagine most sites dont have forums because they dont have amazing people like you working for them. I sincerely hope they dont do what 888 done and chop all plo8 standard dyms replacing them with turbos only. What a disaster!! Surely having a choice is the way to keep it. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    +1
  • edited May 2015
    Probably the reason why the other sites have shut down forums is because people SCREAM COLLUSION ETC
  • edited May 2015
    The move of sky poker to subscription tv is not popular with many. But unfortunately to watch the Ryder Cup or soon the Open golf or England home rugby matches you have to subscribe to Sky. I learnt a valuable lesson when I was a child when one day stating that something wasn't fair. My father's reply was life isn't fair son the quicker you learn that the better. It's gone and isn't coming back any time soon. Commercial decision made. As for the forum it gives everyone a chance to have their say. If it is not used or used inappropriately it too will close and the people who did not use it will moan, as people moan when the empty village pub finally shuts. So get posting and lets grow the community and hopefully improve the site. Daggers
    Posted by daggers747
    The big difference is:

If we don't play, there is no Sky poker TV.

The Ryder Cup and sporting events warrant Subscription TV because you pay to watch professionals.

Is it right to pay entry fees to tournaments and then pay premium rates to  watch recreational players?

If it was pay per view I would consider paying, but subscribing to a channel for one incredible show a week is crazy.

Besides, Fowler & Orford will go on to bigger and better programmes because they are special! I can't see them staying for one show a fortnight
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : The big difference is: If we don't play, there is no Sky poker TV. The Ryder Cup and sporting events warrant Subscription TV because you pay to watch professionals. Is it right to pay entry fees to tournaments and then pay premium rates to  watch recreational players? If it was pay per view I would consider paying, but subscribing to a channel for one incredible show a week is crazy. Besides, Fowler & Orford will go on to bigger and better programmes because they are special! I can't see them staying for one show a fortnight
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    Hi Dosh,

I don't think anyone from The Business would suggest you should take out a Sky Sports TV subscription just to watch the Sky Poker TV Show. Broadly speaking, it is it designed to appeal - or try to - to existing Sky Sports subscribers who may be described as the "poker curious", & may (or may not...) as a result of the Show, take up poker. To a poker site, the "poker curious" are a prime target. It's a given that most people who have played online for several years or more already have their preferred site, in most cases several of them, so it is preaching to the converted. Poker sites - all of them - need new faces all the time. People come, people go, so both ends of the equation need attention in different ways.

Anna & Richard are special? Just a bit, both of them are gifted & highly respected. They are freelance though, as most pro Broadcasters & Presenters are, & always have been. Both of them have other jobs, & always have done. Richard does a lot of TV Continuity work, & Anna has her own photography business. No idea if they will stay with Sky Poker TV, or even if Sky Poker TV will last very long, but they seem to be happy at the moment, whilst being aware of the precarious nature of their job security in what is, almost entirely, a Freelance industry. 

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : Hi Dosh, I don't think anyone from The Business would suggest you should take out a Sky Sports TV subscription just to watch the Sky Poker TV Show. Broadly speaking, it is it designed to appeal - or try to - to existing Sky Sports subscribers who may be described as the "poker curious", & may (or may not...) as a result of the Show, take up poker. To a poker site, the "poker curious" are a prime target. It's a given that most people who have played online for several years or more already have their preferred site, in most cases several of them, so it is preaching to the converted. Poker sites - all of them - need new faces all the time. People come, people go, so both ends of the equation need attention in different ways.   Anna & Richard are special? Just a bit, both of them are gifted & highly respected. They are freelance though, as most pro Broadcasters & Presenters are, & always have been. Both of them have other jobs, & always have done. Richard does a lot of TV Continuity work, & Anna has her own photography business. No idea if they will stay with Sky Poker TV, or even if Sky Poker TV will last very long, but they seem to be happy at the moment, whilst being aware of the precarious nature of their job security in what is, almost entirely, a Freelance industry.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay,

Special was meant as a compliment! In that they touch peoples hearts with their laughter and enthusiasm. A talent for spontaneity that is rarely seen on other channels

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : Thanks Tikay, Special was meant as a compliment! In that they touch peoples hearts with their laughter and enthusiasm. A talent for spontaneity that is rarely seen on other channels
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    Ha, yes, I assumed as much.

And yes, they do both possess a wonderful talent. They are both genuinely nice people, too, really nice.
  • edited May 2015
    Collusion. Shams. Investigations. Scams. More shams. And now Tikay saying nice things about Rich.
    The poker-verse is imploding!

• edited May 2015

I haven't read all the posts on this thread so I may be repeating (sorry).

Not quite a "reg" player or poster on the forum, but I do play on sky a couple of nights a week (DTD as much as poss) and I recently made the trip for the live forum meet up (awesome weekend).

I think the dedicated skypoker forum is brilliant, but im sure it doesn't seem as attractive from the "business" side of things. The only real upside can see from the suits point of view is it is a unique selling point and does encourage people who like the forum to stay playing on skypoker. Balancing this against the wave of players who think a multi million pound business is rigging £5 bounty hunters must be tough :)

As a player and a lover of poker it is brilliant that you can ask a question, get advice from fellow regs and even get replies from Tikay et al.

Maybe poker in general is on a bit of a downswing ( I know its seasonal anyway) but perhaps the promise of the USA joining the online world of poker again, and not doing, has also had an effect on the online game as a whole??

Who knows, all I know is I hope the forum keeps going, at least until I win a DTD so I can brag about it on said forum ;)

• edited May 2015

Some interesting replies, thanks.

I'd just like to develop it a bit, as the whole subject is quite interesting to me, both here & elsewhere. Ironic timing yesterday about "double-edged swords", but that's all part of the equation, some positives, some negatives, & The Business needs to weigh these up all the time. Hopefully, you can see both sides of it.

More follows...... 
  • edited May 2015
    Some interesting replies, thanks. I'd just like to develop it a bit, as the whole subject is quite interesting to me, both here & elsewhere. Ironic timing yesterday about "double-edged swords", but that's all part of the equation, some positives, some negatives, & The Business needs to weigh these up all the time. Hopefully, you can see both sides of it.   More follows...... 
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi tony off subject but can you check bbmikes entries for tonight games please he has not been reg'd yet thanks
  • edited May 2015

We talked about UK facing poker For a being in decline, & that's just a fact, not much anyone can do about that.

Most UK facing poker forums hit their peak in 2005/6. Facebook had barely started, & Twitter only began in 2006. Twitter has 500 million registered users, of which over 300 million are "active". Don't know the Facebook numbers, but they'll be equally monsta.

So Social-Media sort of took up the mantle, & damaged poker fora, as well as various other platforms, MSN & Skype & all that stuff, it's all relatively new, & Forums went into decline. 

For The Business, that's OK, as they work Social Media pretty hard, but we can assume (because they still have it) they'd like this Forum to continue, & be an asset.

The 861 situation, as we discussed yesterday, has deffo cost a few hundred posts per week, we all know that, & there's nothing can be done about it.

Now let's put some context on the declining Forum Post Count here.

Here's a few examples. I'm not dissing any of there forums, or the people who run them - I know most of them, am friends with them, & they are doing their best, & I have no issues with any of them. I actually own action in one, & along with others, am trying to sweat it myself. But they are all finding it uphill right now.

Hendon Mob - this was THE DADDY of UK Poker Forums. Today it has had.....2 (TWO) Posts as of 4pm.

PokerMob - this is run by the former owners of THM. Around 12 posts today.

AWOP - 10 posts today (as at 4pm) all of which were started by the same guy, & 8 of which have not had a reply.

Newcastle Poker Forum - now sadly closed.

Gutshot Poker Forum - ditto.

APAT - still going along pretty well I think.

Betfair Poker Forum - 2 posts in the whole of May. TWO posts.

blonde. Peaked at 900 posts per day in 2005/6, now down to approx 340 per day, a drop of two thirds. 

So when you look at it that way, the Sky Poker Community seems to be holding up quite well, I'd say, in terms of Post Count. I don't know the average daily Post Count here, but I guess someone could work it out if they so wished.

I have not mentioned "Number of Views", I know them for all the other Forums, but not for here, so I can't do a comparison.

It is certainly not helpful that Sky Community don't have emoticons & card graphics, but I've banged that drum way too many times, & it is what it is. Ditto the annoying situation where Photos need approval. Again, I've sung that song Upstairs way too often for my own good, so I can't say any more.   

Anyway, it all comes back to where we started - it's the Members who make or beak a Poker Forum, & if they work it, & use it well, it will be OK. If they don't, it wont.

One really interesting thing (I'm easily pleased....) is how this place now self-moderates itself 95% of the time. There used to be 10 active Mods, & they were kept busy. I think there are 4 now, I'm not even sure I could name them all - the place self-moderates, & if stuff gets out of line, Members sort it themselves in the majority of cases.

Really, it comes down to new threads, & people starting them. They are the seedcorn. Don't have to be poker related, I could probably suggest a dozen different types of new threads we could run between us.

Hope that all makes some kind of sense.   

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: forum future : Hi tony off subject but can you check bbmikes entries for tonight games please he has not been reg'd yet thanks
    Posted by churchy18
    Hi Brian,

As you know (I posted copies of the e-Mails) I sent these up to the Office on Monday or Tuesday.

I've just sent the same chap a quick reminder.

However, he seems to have been Offline all day, so there's not much more I can do, & I don't have access to anyone else to sort it.

He MAY have it in hand, I've no idea, but if not, my apologies, & they'll have to be arranged another night.
  • edited May 2015
    I can only speak for myself here, I've not been on the forums for a good while.....but what I've come back to is golden.  Conspiracy theories, collusion accusations, confessions, trolls, anti-trolls, aussi09, tikays diplomacy and patience, naming and shaming etc...... I could go on...... But basically......scandals sell. It may not be that good for sky pokers rep but I for one, certainly log on more than I did because of all this.
    The decline in other poker forums was interesting to read....but actually encouraging, as it seems that sky is keeping its head above water, whereas others are not.
    I do think that sometimes, things on here are a bit too heavily moderated and a bit strict.....although it used to be more strict if I remember.